SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Hop To
Page 411 of 442 1 2 … 409 410 411 412 413 … 441 442
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,032
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,032
Likes: 66
It’s sad how he died at only 53.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
Originally Posted by DM
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
Been watching the Orville and I have never seen a showrunner contradict their own, biased point of view so greatly as Seth MacFarlane has. Raging hypocrisy can be seen on full display in Season 3.

While Season 3 is much better than Season Two, Seth goes out of his way to vilify pro-life culture and believers. He points out anyone who is pro-life is a vile, despicable being.

Fast forward a few episodes later, *some spoilers* in what is a good episode, a crew member is thrown into the past. "Federation" protocol is to never meddle in the past, no matter the cost, however the crewmember manages to marry and have a family before they are able to go back and rescue him...

So far, so good. Except the rescue involves wiping that family from existence because they could "disrupt the timeline," and such disruptions can never be allowed.


HYPOCRITICAL TO THE EXTREME


In the earlier episode if one aborts their babies in womb, this is NOT MEDDLING?


This is what Seth would have the viewers believe.

Yet systematic termination of grown, functioning, fully conscious and intelligent beings is quite alright, to prevent the unfortunate changes that may arise from their existence. Hint: Aborting a child is meddling just as much with the timeline as is having children in the past that never existed before, due to a time travel traveling there.


I am not sure how one can live with themselves, okay inside with these conflicting word views. Yet, here we see this, and was not even talked about in broader sci-fi circles, due to the pervasive hypocrisy that has permeated the genre in the name of "science."


What we see in this season of the Orville should absolutely be brought to the forefront, and we can thank no other than the king of hypocrites, Seth MacFarlane.



For those who have never watched this show, be prepared for maximum level preachiness from one point of view. You will be fed by a wheelbarrow and you will "like" what you are forced to engorge.


p.s. This show makes countless errors with the worldbuilding, throughout. Hard sci fi this show is not. Not an episode goes by where I notice countless details that were overlooked, not exploited, or ignored--which true science would not have allowed were the show properly adhering to harder science fiction.

I haven't seen these shows you mention, but from the descriptions you gave, one scenario is changing something that already happened in the past and has major impact on the present, and one is making a decision that has no past to meddle with?


The doctrine states one cannot meddle with events that alter the future, essentially.

Granted, I do not believe time travel is scientifically possible, at all, other than potentially observing the past(far and beyond the use of telescopes)--which there is some theoretical, fundamental avenues we may utilize for this. The positive pressure of the expanding Universe, however, absolutely prevents traveling backwards in time, for starters.


Regardless, since the doctrine states one cannot alter the future, I feel that this point of view is hypocritical if one also holds the view that killing unborn children is alright and fine, as well--and to argue against is wretched and evil.

The show is very, very preachy, from a leftist point of view.


That does not mean there are not good episodes--there are. But one must wade through sludge along the way.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 05/09/25 06:08 PM.
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
I saw a few good movies over the past couple of weeks. Empire Strikes back doesn't count.

1) "Talk to Me" -- I may have stated before that I despise movies with ouija boards. I avoid them, at all costs, because their plots are typically stupid. One would think at first glance that this movie, one centered around the premise of speaking to the dead, utilizes such a device. However, none are present, and instead we get a more interesting take on the ritual with deadly implications. Not bad, and quite creepy at times. There will absolutely be sequels. ** 3/4 out of **** stars.

2) "Critters" -- I last saw this film in the 1980s, however since I have been watching the Orville, I noticed one of the starring characters was in this classic horror film, so figured now was the time to watch again. The heroes in this story should probably go down in film history as two of the dumbest bounty hunters, ever. Idiots. And that's part of the charm. The victims are _not_ the idiots, this time around, which flies in the face of traditional horror convention. Fun, as 80s horror often was. ** 3/4 out of **** stars.

3) "Nomads" -- What a wild 80s trip nostalgia blast. Period art house cinema. That's the best way I can describe this adventure. The 1980s were rich in original creativity, both in music and in art. This film is pure art--like those weird exhibits you may recall from the period that seem nonsensical on the surface, yet, if you spend the time to soak in the scene and interpret through contextual clues, you may decipher the message the artist is trying to send. If I told you that "Nomads" was directed by someone such as David Lynch, you might actually believe me. I would be lying, however. As surreal as this experience is, the director is none other than the man who later gave us "Predator" and "Die Hard." Surprisingly he has directed very few films. This was his first. Worth a watch, but go in with no expectations, and do not demand answers be given to you. That's up for the viewer to decipher. *** out of **** stars for being bold.

Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 12,417
Likes: 12
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 12,417
Likes: 12
[Linked Image]

A decent neo-noir cop flick from 1981.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,032
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,032
Likes: 66
Never saw that one.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
"Sharky's" was pretty good as far as cop movies go.

Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,825
Likes: 84
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,825
Likes: 84
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
I saw a few good movies over the past couple of weeks. Empire Strikes back doesn't count.

1) "Talk to Me" -- I may have stated before that I despise movies with ouija boards. I avoid them, at all costs, because their plots are typically stupid. One would think at first glance that this movie, one centered around the premise of speaking to the dead, utilizes such a device. However, none are present, and instead we get a more interesting take on the ritual with deadly implications. Not bad, and quite creepy at times. There will absolutely be sequels. ** 3/4 out of **** stars.

2) "Critters" -- I last saw this film in the 1980s, however since I have been watching the Orville, I noticed one of the starring characters was in this classic horror film, so figured now was the time to watch again. The heroes in this story should probably go down in film history as two of the dumbest bounty hunters, ever. Idiots. And that's part of the charm. The victims are _not_ the idiots, this time around, which flies in the face of traditional horror convention. Fun, as 80s horror often was. ** 3/4 out of **** stars.

3) "Nomads" -- What a wild 80s trip nostalgia blast. Period art house cinema. That's the best way I can describe this adventure. The 1980s were rich in original creativity, both in music and in art. This film is pure art--like those weird exhibits you may recall from the period that seem nonsensical on the surface, yet, if you spend the time to soak in the scene and interpret through contextual clues, you may decipher the message the artist is trying to send. If I told you that "Nomads" was directed by someone such as David Lynch, you might actually believe me. I would be lying, however. As surreal as this experience is, the director is none other than the man who later gave us "Predator" and "Die Hard." Surprisingly he has directed very few films. This was his first. Worth a watch, but go in with no expectations, and do not demand answers be given to you. That's up for the viewer to decipher. *** out of **** stars for being bold.

Cheers for the reviews. You seen Warfare yet Mr B? A review would be good. The first part brings to mind the assault on the town at end of Private Ryan. The sound design is amazing.

Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,914
Likes: 32
D
DM Offline
Senior Member
Senior Member
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,914
Likes: 32
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
The doctrine states one cannot meddle with events that alter the future, essentially.

I guess I should watch it myself, it still doesn't make sense to me. Altering the past I can get, but altering the future? Anything anyone does creates the future, which hasn't happened yet, and so can't be altered?


"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
Originally Posted by DM
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
The doctrine states one cannot meddle with events that alter the future, essentially.

I guess I should watch it myself, it still doesn't make sense to me. Altering the past I can get, but altering the future? Anything anyone does creates the future, which hasn't happened yet, and so can't be altered?


Because if you alter the past, the future is altered.

Does that make better sense?

If one travels back in time, has a child that did not exist, previously, the future is then changed.

If you kill a baby before a baby is born, you are also altering the future.


Trust me, this hurts my head as well. I see what you are getting on at.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 05/09/25 09:06 PM.
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
Originally Posted by RossUK
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
I saw a few good movies over the past couple of weeks. Empire Strikes back doesn't count.

1) "Talk to Me" -- I may have stated before that I despise movies with ouija boards. I avoid them, at all costs, because their plots are typically stupid. One would think at first glance that this movie, one centered around the premise of speaking to the dead, utilizes such a device. However, none are present, and instead we get a more interesting take on the ritual with deadly implications. Not bad, and quite creepy at times. There will absolutely be sequels. ** 3/4 out of **** stars.

2) "Critters" -- I last saw this film in the 1980s, however since I have been watching the Orville, I noticed one of the starring characters was in this classic horror film, so figured now was the time to watch again. The heroes in this story should probably go down in film history as two of the dumbest bounty hunters, ever. Idiots. And that's part of the charm. The victims are _not_ the idiots, this time around, which flies in the face of traditional horror convention. Fun, as 80s horror often was. ** 3/4 out of **** stars.

3) "Nomads" -- What a wild 80s trip nostalgia blast. Period art house cinema. That's the best way I can describe this adventure. The 1980s were rich in original creativity, both in music and in art. This film is pure art--like those weird exhibits you may recall from the period that seem nonsensical on the surface, yet, if you spend the time to soak in the scene and interpret through contextual clues, you may decipher the message the artist is trying to send. If I told you that "Nomads" was directed by someone such as David Lynch, you might actually believe me. I would be lying, however. As surreal as this experience is, the director is none other than the man who later gave us "Predator" and "Die Hard." Surprisingly he has directed very few films. This was his first. Worth a watch, but go in with no expectations, and do not demand answers be given to you. That's up for the viewer to decipher. *** out of **** stars for being bold.

Cheers for the reviews. You seen Warfare yet Mr B? A review would be good. The first part brings to mind the assault on the town at end of Private Ryan. The sound design is amazing.


No I have not seen Warfare yet, however the premise sounds interesting. smile

Added to my list. Thanks!

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,032
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,032
Likes: 66
Ah the good old “time travel paradox”. The Terminator movies for me provide a great example.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 27,044
Likes: 26
W
Lifer
Lifer
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 27,044
Likes: 26
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
I never even heard of that series wheels and I was already an adult in the early 90’s!

It was one of those written by Linda Bloodworth-Thomason when she and her husband were all over the TV landscape. Designing Women & Evening Shade were a couple of the other major series of hers.

TV was such a harsher medium in the 1990's and what constitutes a hit now wouldn't have made it three weeks back then. This series seemed to have all the pieces to go the distance but cast changes and drastic location changes between season 1 and season 2 are what I think helped doom it.
Season 1 cast
  • John Ritter
  • Markie Post
  • Billy Bob Thorton
  • George Gaynes - Commissioner in the Police Academy movies
  • Wendy Jo Sperber (Bosom Buddies)
  • Conchata Ferrell (Berta on 2-1/2 Men)
  • Ed Asner - Mary Tyler Moore Show & Lou Grant series

Season 2 cast
  • John Ritter
  • Markie Post
  • Billy Bob Thorton
  • Conchata Ferrell - Different character and full time character instead of just two episodes that she had in season 1
  • Leslie Jordon - before Will & Grace

Season 3
Same as season 2 except the oldest son of John Ritter was replaced.

Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
Watching this Indiana Jones copycat. Movie is meh but the actress was purdy

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091055/mediaindex/?relatedNames=nm0000758

Melody Anderson was a babe in her day. First movie I remember her in was Flash Gordon.


Wheels


Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
Joined: Oct 2024
Posts: 3,650
Likes: 103
T
Senior Member
Senior Member
T Offline
Joined: Oct 2024
Posts: 3,650
Likes: 103
Ah yes the “time travel paradox”.PanzerMeyer. Has been discussed for the last 200 years at least. I watch Terminator like you as well as Interstellar, None of it made sense to me, the distances were just too great considering the vast universe. Most people cannot comprehend the vastness of the universe, never mind our galaxy.

Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,914
Likes: 32
D
DM Offline
Senior Member
Senior Member
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,914
Likes: 32
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
Because if you alter the past, the future is altered.

Does that make better sense?

If one travels back in time, has a child that did not exist, previously, the future is then changed.

On board, standard time travel fare smile

Quote
If you kill a baby before a baby is born, you are also altering the future.


Trust me, this hurts my head as well. I see what you are getting on at.

This part - I'm going to suggest it's what time-travel paradigm you decide to fabricate for fictional reasons.

Going back in time, there is a "future" that has in some sense happened, and can be altered.

Doing something in the present, the future has not happened yet, there is nothing to alter.

Unless, there is the paradigm that the future is somehow "written". How the future is written must come from somewhere, and that I would argue is whatever happens first that does not happen because someone has come back in time. :/ so if an action happens unaffected by a time traveller, that is how the future "should" be.

Someone throwing a deciding vote one way instead of another in the present is not altering the future, they're making the present. IMO the future can only mean something if you've gone back in time.

Not sure I am clarifying myself here or not.

Got to nail this down biggrin


"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
Originally Posted by DM
Someone throwing a deciding vote one way instead of another in the present is not altering the future, they're making the present. IMO the future can only mean something if you've gone back in time.

Not sure I am clarifying myself here or not.

Nah, you are.

What remains unclear and is often the subject of science fiction and even present day philosophy is what determines ones own actions? Are we truly capable of free choice, or do we have an "inner voice" or "will" inside of us that directs us, which despite our best efforts, we ultimate succumb to.

The premise of free will is quite prevalent in religion, and there are those who are not who have argued that we have none, whatsoever.

So is the action of aborting the young a choice, or an inevitability?

Even so, what wills the conception from inside? And would this choice/inevitability be contradicting the will of conception from within, thus altering a predestined future? Predestination is a concept that goes way back to ancient times, even.


I see no reason why science fiction should not explore this, as well. Equally fascinating plotlines can be derived from these notions, which can parallel time travel paradoxes, and in a way, can be interwoven.

Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,327
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,327
Likes: 19
Andor:

Just when you like a show, tonight is the series finale.

https://www.superherohype.com/guides/600139-andor-season-3-4-5-not-happening-2-ending-why

Mean Disney Mouse!

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
Andor:

Just when you like a show, tonight is the series finale.

https://www.superherohype.com/guides/600139-andor-season-3-4-5-not-happening-2-ending-why

Mean Disney Mouse!

Writing well is hard, and wrought with pitfalls and dead ends one can find themselves in if they do not have a beginning and an end figured out before they even start. And once you have those, you must have a list of steps the story may take to get there, in rough outline form, so you at least know you can find your way, and get back on track, if needed.

However, due to the fluidity of storymaking, that plan can evolve, and during the process if you find yourself in a dead end, you have to be willing to "kill your darlings," to throw out what you have written and start anew, sometimes several months of work.

Television shows are often not written in advance if they are not based upon written novels, so they do not have this luxury of sacrifice. Unfortunately for these shows, dead ends can become insurmountable.


I have not seen Andor, but that's likely what happened.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 05/14/25 02:31 AM.
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,032
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,032
Likes: 66
Has anyone here seen “Sinners”? If yes, did it live up to all the hype? I may watch it this Saturday.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,327
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,327
Likes: 19
This drop on Apple TV tonight.

I haven't seen or heard anything about it.

Watch or Pass?

https://tv.apple.com/us/show/murderbot/umc.cmc.5owrzntj9v1gpg31wshflud03


Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,032
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,032
Likes: 66
Not my idea but some friends of my wife's from work wanted to see "Final Destination: Bloodlines". That is nearly 2 hours of my life I won't get back. I did however get a good laugh from some of the really absurd ways people got killed.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Page 411 of 442 1 2 … 409 410 411 412 413 … 441 442

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,076,267 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1