SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Hop To
Page 382 of 442 1 2 … 380 381 382 383 384 … 441 442
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 11,292
Likes: 16
S
Veteran
Veteran
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 11,292
Likes: 16
Just finished the first season of For All Mankind. What a great show, I can’t believe this isn’t more popular and talked about!


Going to see Dune on Sunday, at the world’s largest THX cinema here in Oslo. I always go there for the great movies. LOTR, Star Wars, Top Gun 2, etc. I bet Dune will be quite the spectacle, the audio system is excellent. Very much looking forward to it.
I dream of the day they will show Master and Commander here as a special. Still the best audio I have experienced in any movie!

[Linked Image]


In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Semmern, Dune part 2 was made for IMAX and THX theaters! You will be blown away more than I was for sure. smile


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 11,292
Likes: 16
S
Veteran
Veteran
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 11,292
Likes: 16
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Semmern, Dune part 2 was made for IMAX and THX theaters! You will be blown away more than I was for sure. smile


Just got home now. I loved it! Great visuals, great audio, great music, and actors cast perfectly for their roles. One of the best movies I’ve seen in recent years for sure. So cool to see Josh Brolin again as Gurney Halleck, and Austin Butler didn’t do his Elvis thing here, so I liked him much better than in Masters of the Air..


In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
I"m glad to hear that you liked it semmern and I have to say I'm quite impressed with Austin Butler. It just goes to show how much an actor can do when he's given a good script and good direction.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,327
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,327
Likes: 19
Will take a look at this 9 episode doc.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81614129


Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Zelensky is a hero in my eyes.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,368
Likes: 19
C
Veteran
Veteran
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,368
Likes: 19
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Zelensky is a hero in my eyes.


He's certainly in a different league to 'Bunker Grandpa'.

I see that Ukraine received their first Oscar for '20 Days In Mariupol' which I intend to watch at some point.


If you watch Jaws backwards, it's a heart warming story about a shark that spits out so many people that they have to open a beach.
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,154
Likes: 190
F
Veteran
Veteran
F Online: Cool
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,154
Likes: 190
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Zelensky is a hero in my eyes.



+1


US federal spending per person per year, in constant 2025 dollars:
1925 - $153.00
2025 - $20,497.00

"In the vast library of socialist books, there’s not a single volume on how to create wealth, only how to take and “redistribute” it.” - David Horowitz (RIP)

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." Thomas Sowell
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 11,292
Likes: 16
S
Veteran
Veteran
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 11,292
Likes: 16
+2

My grandfather was Ukrainian. I was angered in ways I didn't know were possible by the invasion in February 22.


In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
Originally Posted by semmern
Just finished the first season of For All Mankind. What a great show, I can’t believe this isn’t more popular and talked about!


Going to see Dune on Sunday, at the world’s largest THX cinema here in Oslo. I always go there for the great movies. LOTR, Star Wars, Top Gun 2, etc. I bet Dune will be quite the spectacle, the audio system is excellent. Very much looking forward to it.
I dream of the day they will show Master and Commander here as a special. Still the best audio I have experienced in any movie!

[Linked Image]


That theater is pretty wild, certainly more extravagant than most any pure "cinema" we have in the United States.

Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 11,292
Likes: 16
S
Veteran
Veteran
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 11,292
Likes: 16
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman


That theater is pretty wild, certainly more extravagant than most any pure "cinema" we have in the United States.


It’s great! A few years ago they started utilizing the dome as an extension of the screen. So for Star Wars, the text at the beginning would roll off the top and into the top of the dome, and space fights took place overhead. For some flying scenes in Top Gun, they showed sky all over the dome. All the while with the best movie theatre sound quality for some thousands of miles smile


In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,327
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,327
Likes: 19
Watched this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regeneration_(Star_Trek:_Enterprise)

I had the same reaction as written on WIKI

Quote
Critical response

Michelle Erica Green reviewed the episode for TrekNation, and was concerned by the continuity issues that the events in the episode presented, such as why Captain Jean-Luc Picard of the USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-D) didn't have a record of Archer and the crew's encounter with some nameless technologically enhanced aliens who assimilated people when he met them for the first time in "Q Who".



Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,154
Likes: 190
F
Veteran
Veteran
F Online: Cool
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,154
Likes: 190
As I recall that episode Archer never knew who or what the Borg were. And just because Archers encounter with such aliens a hundred or so years earlier wasn't mentioned by Picard in an episode doesn't preclude his knowing something about the encounter but not making the connection.

I though it was a good episode.


US federal spending per person per year, in constant 2025 dollars:
1925 - $153.00
2025 - $20,497.00

"In the vast library of socialist books, there’s not a single volume on how to create wealth, only how to take and “redistribute” it.” - David Horowitz (RIP)

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." Thomas Sowell
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,327
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,327
Likes: 19
I am not a big fan of Enterprise but I agree that was a good episodes.

The Borgs sure are well traveled.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
My main problem with Enterprise is that I didn't find Scott Bakula to be compelling in the lead role.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,464
Likes: 18
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,464
Likes: 18
Originally Posted by F4UDash4
As I recall that episode Archer never knew who or what the Borg were. And just because Archers encounter with such aliens a hundred or so years earlier wasn't mentioned by Picard in an episode doesn't preclude his knowing something about the encounter but not making the connection.

I though it was a good episode.


The Borg weren't even ever in that quadrant. In TNG Q threw the Enterprise across the galaxy to facilitate the meeting between Humans and the Borg. That's the issue with the episode...and most prequels for that matter.

Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,154
Likes: 190
F
Veteran
Veteran
F Online: Cool
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,154
Likes: 190
Originally Posted by wormfood
Originally Posted by F4UDash4
As I recall that episode Archer never knew who or what the Borg were. And just because Archers encounter with such aliens a hundred or so years earlier wasn't mentioned by Picard in an episode doesn't preclude his knowing something about the encounter but not making the connection.

I though it was a good episode.


The Borg weren't even ever in that quadrant. In TNG Q threw the Enterprise across the galaxy to facilitate the meeting between Humans and the Borg. That's the issue with the episode...and most prequels for that matter.



Weren't they there as a result of the time traveling Borg in "First Contact"? Ship crashes in artic, they're frozen until the poor hapless artic exploration team finds and unthaws them.


US federal spending per person per year, in constant 2025 dollars:
1925 - $153.00
2025 - $20,497.00

"In the vast library of socialist books, there’s not a single volume on how to create wealth, only how to take and “redistribute” it.” - David Horowitz (RIP)

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." Thomas Sowell
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,327
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,327
Likes: 19
So I was watching Under Siege 1992.

The actress who plays the aide is Dru Anne Carlson (RIP 2020)

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0105690/mediaviewer/rm1479535617

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0105690/mediaviewer/rm2234510337

These 2 photos taken from ^^^ links

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This says https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0137904/ she was born in 1932 which means she was almost 60 yo in the movie

She doesn't look 60. Can anyone still be serving in the Navy at 60?

She is a script supervisor for many films for many years including Under Siege, so I assume she asked to appear in it.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0137904/fullcredits

Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 11,948
Likes: 141
C
Administrator
Veteran
Administrator
Veteran
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 11,948
Likes: 141
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
...

Can anyone still be serving in the Navy at 60? ...


It is unusual. Admiral Rickover retired at age 82.


"praemonitus, praemunitus"
"We in America have no interest in being polite and orderly caretakers of the West’s managed decline." - Secretary of State Marco Rubio
[Linked Image]
What we agreed to abide by in these forums!
CB's Tips for Potentially Contentious Forum Discussions
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
David Farragut was in his early 60's while serving in the Union Navy during the ACW.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Page 382 of 442 1 2 … 380 381 382 383 384 … 441 442

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,077,670 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1