SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#4643319 03/02/24 11:18 AM
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,790
B
Old Scroat
Senior Member
Old Scroat
Senior Member
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,790

I'm surprised that this excellent new production has not been a source of comment here yet; especially from Panzermeyer! smile
I personally thought it was faultless and excellent so far, having watched the first two episodes.. Brutal, yes, but so shows the dichotomy of Japanese culture of the time.
Hiroyuki Sanada has some big boots to fill as Toranaga following Mifune's great role in the 1980 production but does the depiction justice. All other cast are up to expectation too, especially Cosmo Jarvis as the main character, Blackthorne. I always thought Richard Chamberlain in the original version was too pretty and his English accent was terrible!
The pedant that I am, even telling myself "it's a drama, not a documentary" noticed that pistols wielded were flintlocks from a much later era, but otherwise it seems accurate to the period it is set in with it's lavish costumes and beautiful settings, which further emphasise the contrasts in that society.



Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,021
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,021
Likes: 66
I'll be starting Shogun on Sunday. Today though is "Dune day" for me. I'll be leaving soon to make the rare trip to the movie theater. smile


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 26,082
Likes: 167
O
Administrator
Lifer
Administrator
Lifer
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 26,082
Likes: 167
I’ve got a nice 12 gauge pump.


Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 11,933
Likes: 141
C
Administrator
Veteran
Administrator
Veteran
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 11,933
Likes: 141
Originally Posted by oldgrognard
I’ve got a nice 12 gauge pump.


biggrin Turn your hearing aid back on! old_simmer


"praemonitus, praemunitus"
"We in America have no interest in being polite and orderly caretakers of the West’s managed decline." - Secretary of State Marco Rubio
[Linked Image]
What we agreed to abide by in these forums!
CB's Tips for Potentially Contentious Forum Discussions
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,139
Likes: 190
F
Veteran
Veteran
F Online: Cool
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,139
Likes: 190
Originally Posted by oldgrognard
I’ve got a nice 12 gauge pump.



I've got a 12 gauge Mossberg Maverick 88 that I paid like a $120 new ..... I LOVE that thing!


US federal spending per person per year, in constant 2025 dollars:
1925 - $153.00
2025 - $20,497.00

"In the vast library of socialist books, there’s not a single volume on how to create wealth, only how to take and “redistribute” it.” - David Horowitz (RIP)

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." Thomas Sowell
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,464
Likes: 18
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,464
Likes: 18
Originally Posted by F4UDash4
Originally Posted by oldgrognard
I’ve got a nice 12 gauge pump.



I've got a 12 gauge Mossberg Maverick 88 that I paid like a $120 new ..... I LOVE that thing!


I got one of those too. They're great for the price.


Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,070,305 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1