Avoid sugar wherever possible. Theories suggest that sugar, not fat and cholesterol in food, contributes far more greatly to heart disease due to the inflammatory state sugar leaves your body in after consumption. This inflammation is what encourages fats and cholesterol to stick to the walls of arteries.
I switched to using stevia to sweeten my home brewed tea a number of years ago and do not miss authentic sugar at all. Ten bucks of stevia will last me many months--almost a year, so long as it is the raw kind that is not laced with other stuff.
Like many, I agree with your statement. I regard added sugar products as "poison" and white flour products as very dangerous -- if eaten every day. However, enjoy one's self at parties, etc.
At times over the last 40 years, I've eaten "ketogenically" at others in a "ketogenic direction" (i.e. low carbohydrates relative to the food pyramid) -- so far, so good. Started in the first place because I weighed 220lbs at 5'7" -- got down to 135 -- now much older I've "expanded" -- currently am 148lbs.
I think there was a tangential mention of it on the show about soda, when someone at Coke or Pepsi made the change to save money, setting the industry off in that direction as a standard.
Yes. The manufacturing costs involved with processing HFCS is considerably less compared to that of sugar so from a business standpoint it was a no-brainer to make the switch.
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
The bottom line from most critics seems to be that the recent remake is good but it doesn't surpass the original.
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
The bottom line from most critics seems to be that the recent remake is good but it doesn't surpass the original.
What ruined the latest version for me was the deviation from the book, the lack of 'fleshing out' of other characters and the very contrived ending. The opening scenes with the 'recycling' of the uniform brought home what a meat-grinder that war was though.
I thought even the 1978 version was a better representation of the book.
I'm going to have to try this new version yet again to see just what the critics are talking about. Tried twice so far, and fell asleep both times as it's just so dull. Third time lucky I guess (although this method failed with that nonsense overblown tat that was The thin Red line)
The big problem with “The Thin Red Line” for me is that I distinctly remember the Hollywood marketing being very deceptive. The trailers and promos made it seem like it was going to be Saving Private Ryan but set in the Pacific. I went into the movie theater with the totally wrong expectations.
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Rewatched Last of the Mohicans for the first time in years. Probably among the best final 10 minutes of any movie, and that music!
In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
Rewatched Last of the Mohicans for the first time in years. Probably among the best final 10 minutes of any movie, and that music!
That one and "Heat" are IMHO the greatest films from Michael Mann. Everything about "Last of the Mohicans" is cinematically perfect. I've seen it at least 10 times and will see it again before too long.
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Disney is more than pleased with how Avatar 2 performed. Love him or hate him, Cameron delivers.
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
The first Avatar was boring and predictable but I guess that's what the public wants.
US federal spending per person per year, in constant 2025 dollars: 1925 - $153.00 2025 - $20,497.00
"In the vast library of socialist books, there’s not a single volume on how to create wealth, only how to take and “redistribute” it.” - David Horowitz (RIP)
"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." Thomas Sowell
The first Avatar was boring and predictable but I guess that's what the public wants.
I'd say the financial success of the Avatar movies is almost entirely based on its 3D visuals and also some clever and effective marketing.
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
1) "Bird Box" -- I initially avoided this film, as the premise seemed a bit gimmicky, but my daughter insisted I watch over the weekend because she could not--mommy said she's not old enough. So I watched. And the film was actually good. Pretty creepy, really, and they did a decent job with world building. I do have to deduct a whole half point, however, because of their treatment of Christians. Once again we have a stereotypical character who's both a MAGA Christian and portrayed as a monster. Hmm. Keep things original, Hollywood. ***spoiler alert*** The funny part, though, is the character ended up being right, every single time, and people died as a result, so perhaps there's deeper creativity at work beneath the surface. ***spoiler alert end*** Without this, I would rate higher, and on its own anyone will be hard pressed to not be slightly unsettled by this picture. My wife was right, my daughter wouldn't be able to sleep for weeks if she watched. I had the pleasure of watching "The Shining" when I was seven... Not a good idea. I rate this ** 3/4 out of **** stars with penalty applied, so without that would make this *** 1/4 out of **** stars. Stop making lies up about Christians, Hollywood, please.
2) "Love Crimes" -- Sean Young began her downward spiral sometime before starring in this picture, and the character she chose here didn't really help her recover, either. Here we have a confused District Attorney, apparently scarred from her father and his philandering, who pursues sex crime monsters and tries to prosecute and put them behind bars. That's nice, and all, if she were actually good at this. Problem is, she's an idiot. A rule in writing is to write characters, especially main characters, that folks can identify with and want to try and be. Diverging from this path is a risk--that one might alienate their reader. Sometimes this is done very well, whereas other times a disaster ensues. Faulkner's "The Sound and the Fury" starts off through the perspective of a retard. Needless to say, despite this being a brilliant work of stream of consciousness writing, the entire first third is difficult to digest and enjoy by most folks. Here, in 'Crimes, the main character is a blatant moron through her actions throughout and in the end we get a result that... she doesn't exactly deserve. I think in the hands of a better director this would have turned out better. Patrick Bergen does a pretty good job carrying us through this farce. ** 1/2 out of **** stars. p.s. this isn't one of those "late night" movies that the title suggests, either, but tries to be a legitimate psychological thriller.
1) "Bird Box" -- I initially avoided this film, as the premise seemed a bit gimmicky, but my daughter insisted I watch over the weekend because she could not--mommy said she's not old enough. So I watched. And the film was actually good. Pretty creepy, really, and they did a decent job with world building. I do have to deduct a whole half point, however, because of their treatment of Christians. Once again we have a stereotypical character who's both a MAGA Christian and portrayed as a monster. Hmm. Keep things original, Hollywood. ***spoiler alert*** The funny part, though, is the character ended up being right, every single time, and people died as a result, so perhaps there's deeper creativity at work beneath the surface. ***spoiler alert end*** Without this, I would rate higher, and on its own anyone will be hard pressed to not be slightly unsettled by this picture. My wife was right, my daughter wouldn't be able to sleep for weeks if she watched. I had the pleasure of watching "The Shining" when I was seven... Not a good idea. I rate this ** 3/4 out of **** stars with penalty applied, so without that would make this *** 1/4 out of **** stars. Stop making lies up about Christians, Hollywood, please.
.
My big problem with that movie is that it had the typical "Netflix ending". What I mean by that is that the first 2 acts were well done. It built up the tension, mystery and stakes quite well. The final act I found to be totally underwhelming and it made me say the typical "is that it???" to myself when the movie was over.
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
2) "Love Crimes" -- Sean Young began her downward spiral sometime before starring in this picture, and the character she chose here didn't really help her recover, either. Here we have a confused District Attorney, apparently scarred from her father and his philandering, who pursues sex crime monsters and tries to prosecute and put them behind bars. That's nice, and all, if she were actually good at this. Problem is, she's an idiot. A rule in writing is to write characters, especially main characters, that folks can identify with and want to try and be. Diverging from this path is a risk--that one might alienate their reader. Sometimes this is done very well, whereas other times a disaster ensues. Faulkner's "The Sound and the Fury" starts off through the perspective of a retard. Needless to say, despite this being a brilliant work of stream of consciousness writing, the entire first third is difficult to digest and enjoy by most folks. Here, in 'Crimes, the main character is a blatant moron through her actions throughout and in the end we get a result that... she doesn't exactly deserve. I think in the hands of a better director this would have turned out better. Patrick Bergen does a pretty good job carrying us through this farce. ** 1/2 out of **** stars. p.s. this isn't one of those "late night" movies that the title suggests, either, but tries to be a legitimate psychological thriller.
Never saw this movie but what I distinctly recall about Sean Young's acting career is that it went downhill very quickly after the allegations of her stalking Tim Burton because she wouldn't be cast in "Batman Returns" turned out to be true. There was also the scandal of her stalking James Woods which also turned out to be true. After that, most studio execs wouldn't touch her with a 12 foot pole.
Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 03/15/2306:46 PM.
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”