SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#4620219 02/07/23 12:47 PM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 12,504
Likes: 2
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 12,504
Likes: 2
In the last few days we have had an occasional problem where a player was booted because of a missing gunsight file.
When the player used the Gunsight manager the problem was fixed, but I wondered why it had happened in the first place.

Checking the code the exe was looking for a "gunsight.spt" file.
Earlier exes looked for the "gsight.spt" file.

Just about all of the plane skins have a "gsight.spt" file, but no "gunsight.spt" file.
This was causing the crash.

It did not happen to me because I have my preferred "gunsight.spt" and "gsight.spt" files in the root folder and a back-up in the GameData folder.

The solution that I have completed is to rebuild the old map, new map and MPO exes so that they look for the "gunsight.spt" file.

Here is a link

February 7th exes

Run the downloaded " EAWVersions070223.exe" in your UAW160 folder and it will add the three new exes to your "EAW Versions" folder.
I advise you to make a sub-folder in the "EAW Versions" folder named "Previous" and move all of the older exes into it.



Fly EAW online at GameRanger: GameRanger Site

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

I am now of an age at which I no longer need to suffer fools gladly
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 12,504
Likes: 2
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 12,504
Likes: 2
Gunsight choices

If you do not have a "gsight file" in your UAW160 root folder and there is none in the "GameData" folder then the exe will use the "gsight.spt" file that is in the aircraft skin.
What you see depends on the plane that you have selected.

As a precaution you can generate the "gsight.spt" file with the GunsightManager. If it makes a "gunsight.spt" file and no "gsight.spt" file then rename the "gunsight.spt" file as "gsight.spt".
Then move the "gsight.spt" file into the "GameData" folder.
This will give you a backup to avoid a CTD in the case of a skin folder that has no "gsight.spt" file in it.

In my case I prefer to use the same gunsight in every plane that I fly, so the one I selected with the manager remains in the root folder.


Fly EAW online at GameRanger: GameRanger Site

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

I am now of an age at which I no longer need to suffer fools gladly
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 12,504
Likes: 2
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 12,504
Likes: 2
There is a new gunsight manager program here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RqkzhRlSmKbt4PFq9X0z0x1elF2KCAAn/view?usp=share_link

Run the downloased "GSP.exe" in your UAW160 folder and let it replace files.

It will install a "GSPro.exe".

[Linked Image]

When you run it and select a gunsight you can click "Load" and the gunsight files will be copied into the root folder.
You will see the same gunsight with every plane you fly.

If you click "Copy to GameData" the gunsight files will be copied into the "GameData" folder as a backup in case no gunsight files are loaded in your game.

I use the word "files" because both a "gsight.spt" and a "gunsight.spt" file will be created. This is a measure to prevent a missing file CTD.

Last edited by MrJelly; 02/07/23 07:01 PM. Reason: Picture added

Fly EAW online at GameRanger: GameRanger Site

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

I am now of an age at which I no longer need to suffer fools gladly
Joined: Jan 2023
Posts: 38
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2023
Posts: 38
I downloaded the new gunsight manager. I won't CTD because of gunsights. I do have a small problem you could help me with if/when you get the time. I really like the SPAW careers that you packed into the 1.28c_2022 folder. Unfortunately, the aircraft carriers are invisible in SPAW. I can see them in SPAW1945; but not SPAW. Could it be that I'm just missing a file or two?

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 12,504
Likes: 2
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 12,504
Likes: 2
There is a fix here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aTUwmjOTVPg31J67hlNUjsWn2dafwEBk/view?usp=share_link

Run the downloaded "SPAWcarriers.exe" in your "1.28c_2022" folder and it will add the missing files to the "SPAW" folder


Fly EAW online at GameRanger: GameRanger Site

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

I am now of an age at which I no longer need to suffer fools gladly
Joined: Jan 2023
Posts: 38
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2023
Posts: 38
Thanks, Mr. Jelly! I will be on GameRanger today, at 6:30 PM France time.


Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,070,305 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1