SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Hop To
Page 293 of 442 1 2 … 291 292 293 294 295 … 441 442
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,021
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,021
Likes: 66
Do you pay the BBC license fees NFB? If you don't then don't complain.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,368
Likes: 19
C
Veteran
Veteran
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,368
Likes: 19
I'm a Brit and I don't pay it smile I have no idea what American broadcast TV is like but the stuff we get over here just isn't worth paying the BBC £159/year for. YT FTW.

Last edited by Chucky; 04/12/22 02:58 PM. Reason: edit- added BBC

If you watch Jaws backwards, it's a heart warming story about a shark that spits out so many people that they have to open a beach.
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,021
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,021
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by Chucky
I have no idea what American broadcast TV is like .



In my opinion network/broadcast US tv is trash because it's mostly populated by very unfunny sitcoms and formulaic crime and medical dramas which have already been done a million times already. And don't even get me started on the "news" programs which are in reality opinion programs with a political agenda to push.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
Originally Posted by Chucky
I'm a Brit and I don't pay it smile I have no idea what American broadcast TV is like but the stuff we get over here just isn't worth paying the BBC £159/year for. YT FTW.


Network television programming quality disintegrated sometime over the last couple decades in America.

Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,525
Likes: 2
L
Hotshot
Hotshot
L Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,525
Likes: 2
Lots of people have gone back to getting an outside TV antenna for their house so they can get free channels. Not much on them, mostly infomercials. I guess they look at it as an add on to streaming services. So it wont' be long before we here in the U.S. will have to get a antenna license too. Check this guys channel out. It's all about TV antennas.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/c/AntennaMan[/video]

Last edited by LB4LB; 04/12/22 05:27 PM.
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
I saw two movies last weekend:

1) "Wrong Turn" (2021) -- After last weekend's awful "Halloween Kills," I was still itching for a proper horror movie and I came across this one. I was hesitant because the original "Wrong Turn" from a couple of decades ago was really good, filled with stupid young adults getting wasted by rednecks and hillbillies--a great time! So this one started off with the usual "zoomer" stereotypical tropes--the gay dude couple, the sensitive wusses, the hyper-neoliberal rager, etc. From the start I was wary that I would be stuck with these annoying characters for the entire film, but then it dawned on me... I get to see them get wasted, one by one. Sure enough the ventured into the country, started trashing the locals who happened to be of the average, Hollywood southern fare--appearing to be racist goody two-shoe Christians, etc. Fine. I kept watching. Then the zoomers started dying. And then something interesting--no, great happened... *spoiler* They flipped the tropes on end! I found myself rooting for the "bad guys" who ended up not being the stereotypical redneck Christian libertarians and instead ended up being good folks! Yep! Now, they weren't all good, but truly this was a glorious reversal and the twists and turns started coming. Fun romp. This one was excellent. *** out of **** stars.

2) "Destroyer" -- Ever watch a movie where you think they're trying to hard to make something as an Oscar vehicle for an actor or actress? That's kinda how I felt about this one. The movie isn't bad, but the way in which the timeline was fragmented and structured wasn't exactly perfection as storytelling goes. Then again, if they had structured it chronologically the film may not have been possible to begin with. That issue aside, my biggest problem with the picture is the lack of memorable characters. There is the protagonist and perhaps her love interest--who is barely in the film, but beyond this the other characters just exist to fulfill their role but they themselves are not anyone special. And that's what this film needed--special, quirky, interesting supporting characters like the best Tarantino films have. Alas, there was none of that, and instead the film went for a darker, grittier style and forgot this basic storytelling rule. When every movie and novel is simply a recycling of the same story told over and over again, the characters are extra important. For this reason I give this ** 1/2 out of **** stars. Fair to decent but not anything really special.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,021
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,021
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
I saw two movies last weekend:

1) "Wrong Turn" (2021) -- After last weekend's awful "Halloween Kills," I was still itching for a proper horror movie and I came across this one. I was hesitant because the original "Wrong Turn" from a couple of decades ago was really good, filled with stupid young adults getting wasted by rednecks and hillbillies--a great time! So this one started off with the usual "zoomer" stereotypical tropes--the gay dude couple, the sensitive wusses, the hyper-neoliberal rager, etc. From the start I was wary that I would be stuck with these annoying characters for the entire film, but then it dawned on me... I get to see them get wasted, one by one. Sure enough the ventured into the country, started trashing the locals who happened to be of the average, Hollywood southern fare--appearing to be racist goody two-shoe Christians, etc. Fine. I kept watching. Then the zoomers started dying. And then something interesting--no, great happened... *spoiler* They flipped the tropes on end! I found myself rooting for the "bad guys" who ended up not being the stereotypical redneck Christian libertarians and instead ended up being good folks! Yep! Now, they weren't all good, but truly this was a glorious reversal and the twists and turns started coming. Fun romp. This one was excellent. *** out of **** stars.



I read the plot summary for this on IMDB and seriously, this could have come straight from the world of Fallout 76 the game. I noticed Matthew Modine was in this movie. I haven't seen him in anything since the last Batman movie from Chris Nolan.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,322
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,322
Likes: 19
We have BBC on Amazon Prime. Don't know what license fee.

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,368
Likes: 19
C
Veteran
Veteran
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,368
Likes: 19
You wouldn't living in the US. Here in the UK if you want to watch broadcast TV 'live' (any channel) you have to pay the BBC £159 a year. It's a complete nonsense in this day and age.

Luckily it's not compulsory and you can avoid paying it if you make changes in your viewing habits.


If you watch Jaws backwards, it's a heart warming story about a shark that spits out so many people that they have to open a beach.
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,021
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,021
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
We have BBC on Amazon Prime. Don't know what license fee.



That's because Amazon pays the BBC for the rights to carry those programs and of course the consumer like you pays for it indirectly via your Amazon Prime membership fee.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,751
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,751
I'm currently watching "The Day The Earth Stood still" The one from 2008 with Keanu Reeves.I always like the original with Michael Rennie.,Visually it's better but for nostalgic reasons I can't really decide which one is better..But it is a good show


Russ
Semper Fi
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,021
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,021
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by rwatson
I'm currently watching "The Day The Earth Stood still" The one from 2008 with Keanu Reeves.I always like the original with Michael Rennie.,Visually it's better but for nostalgic reasons I can't really decide which one is better..But it is a good show



The remake was trashed by the critics and it lost money at the box office. I watched it and while I didn't think it was horrible I did think it was very forgettable. It's one of those films you watch once and then quickly forget about a few days later.

The original film is a certified scifi classic.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,751
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,751
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by rwatson
I'm currently watching "The Day The Earth Stood still" The one from 2008 with Keanu Reeves.I always like the original with Michael Rennie.,Visually it's better but for nostalgic reasons I can't really decide which one is better..But it is a good show



The remake was trashed by the critics and it lost money at the box office. I watched it and while I didn't think it was horrible I did think it was very forgettable. It's one of those films you watch once and then quickly forget about a few days later.

The original film is a certified scifi classic.


Yeah PM I think the original had a better atmosphere the remake seemed lifeless to me.but then again I prefer the old black and white classics >I guess it's why I enjoy reruns of The Twilight Zone


Russ
Semper Fi
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,368
Likes: 19
C
Veteran
Veteran
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,368
Likes: 19
I watched the remake with Keanu Reeves but wished I hadn't bothered. I did make it all the way through but the antics of Jaden Smith's character had me reaching for the off button multiple times.


If you watch Jaws backwards, it's a heart warming story about a shark that spits out so many people that they have to open a beach.
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,322
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,322
Likes: 19
Where can I see this? Amazon doesn't have it! Looks great!


Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,021
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,021
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
Where can I see this?



Do some Google searches and let us know.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,061
Likes: 19
K
It's KRT not Kurt
Hotshot
It's KRT not Kurt
Hotshot
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,061
Likes: 19
I watched the very first episode of the old Time Tunnel series, it was about the Titanic. Little did I realize I was watching it on April 14th..


Win 11 Pro
MSI B450M-A PRO MAX AM4 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz (4.25 GHz Max Boost) 95W Desktop Processor 16GB RAM
MSI GTX 1070 8Gb
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,976
Likes: 3
W
Far Out, Solid & Right On
Hotshot
Far Out, Solid & Right On
Hotshot
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,976
Likes: 3
Just started watching 24.
Yes, I know I am 2 decades late biggrin
My son got Disney +, so I am giving it a go.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,021
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,021
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by WangoTango
Just started watching 24.
Yes, I know I am 2 decades late biggrin



I've got your record beat by a couple of years. "Space: Above & Beyond" premiered in 1995 and I didn't watch that on dvd until a couple of years ago.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,464
Likes: 18
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,464
Likes: 18
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by WangoTango
Just started watching 24.
Yes, I know I am 2 decades late biggrin



I've got your record beat by a couple of years. "Space: Above & Beyond" premiered in 1995 and I didn't watch that on dvd until a couple of years ago.


That was a fun show I saw a few years ago as well. Had some cool ideas, but was plagued with a very low budget

Page 293 of 442 1 2 … 291 292 293 294 295 … 441 442

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,070,211 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1