|
|
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 12,417 Likes: 12
Veteran
|
|
Veteran
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 12,417 Likes: 12 |
Outlaw King on Netflix, an account of King Robert the Bruce of Scotland.
It kind of felt like a spiritual sequel to Braveheart, not as good but still a worthwhile watch.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 9,573 Likes: 11
Hotshot
|
|
Hotshot
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 9,573 Likes: 11 |
Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes "The Feature Film Collection":
watched #2 "The Hound of the Baskervilles". Made in mid 1980s of events in mid 1880s.
"meh" -- nothing special. Not recommended as good entertainment. As "Holmes Fans" we ordered and received "Basil Rathbone in The Complete Sherlock Holmes Collection" of full length movies made starting in 1934 IIRC. Watched "The Hound of the Baskervilles" filmed in 1939 -- black & white. The story was very similar to the Jeremy Brett version (with a couple of notable differences in particular plot elements). The Rathbone version depended more on filmed scenes and less on Sherlock "talking about it". Rathbone and Jeremy had a very similar look and feel and attitude. We enjoyed it. It was worth seeing twice so close together. But, again, it is what it is -- one may have to be a Sherlock fan 
Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 24"P (180hz/1080p) + Samsung 32" Odyssey Neo G7 4K 1000R Curved (165Hz/4K/2160p) + 24"P (180hz/1080p), AMD R9-9950X, 64GB [email protected], GIGABYTE X870E AORUS Master MB, ( 4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~58TB storage, 1300W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, EVGA X20 Mouse, W11 Pro
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,361
Senior Member
|
|
Senior Member
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,361 |
Outlaw King on Netflix, an account of King Robert the Bruce of Scotland.
It kind of felt like a spiritual sequel to Braveheart, not as good but still a worthwhile watch. Outlaw King is the Tora, Tora, Tora, to Braveheart's Pearl Harbour.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 12,417 Likes: 12
Veteran
|
|
Veteran
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 12,417 Likes: 12 |
Outlaw King is the Tora, Tora, Tora, to Braveheart's Pearl Harbour. I'd liken Braveheart to Tombstone, where it's not very historically accurate but was still a memorably entertaining film.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,464 Likes: 18
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,464 Likes: 18 |
Outlaw King is the Tora, Tora, Tora, to Braveheart's Pearl Harbour. I'd liken Braveheart to Tombstone, where it's not very historically accurate but was still a memorably entertaining film. I'd put Gladiator in that category as well.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023 Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
|
|
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023 Likes: 66 |
Outlaw King is the Tora, Tora, Tora, to Braveheart's Pearl Harbour. I'd liken Braveheart to Tombstone, where it's not very historically accurate but was still a memorably entertaining film. Yes, same here. Braveheart is great drama but crappy historical accuracy.
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023 Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
|
|
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023 Likes: 66 |
I'd put Gladiator in that category as well.
Yup, there are a ton of historical inaccuracies in that movie including the huge one of how Marcus Aurelius died. He was most certainly not murdered but you have to admit that the scene in the film really worked great. Richard Harris and Joaquin Phoenix were brilliant.
Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 01/06/22 11:43 AM.
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010 Likes: 47
Veteran
|
|
Veteran
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010 Likes: 47 |
"Gladiator" was when Ridley Scott still made good movies. Great film, one of my wife's favorites.
I saw a movie and a show this weekend:
1) "The Witcher season 2, episode 1" -- I did not like Witcher season 1 at all. It was a jumbled mess of incoherence and bad directing that failed to generate a cohesive, serial storyline. Episode one of season two, however, promises to be better. It seems as if they have found new directors, because for the most part this episode was pretty good, albeit quite "familiar" feeling. I have seen this story before in the games--although I forget which one. Their budget has increased substantially, too. I will have to watch more. *** out of **** stars.
2) "The Object of Beauty" -- Early 90s drama starring John Malkovich(when he still had hair) and Andie MacDowell. Not a bad movie, fun little plot and progression of events. Not bad. *** out of **** stars.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023 Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
|
|
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023 Likes: 66 |
2) "The Object of Beauty" -- Early 90s drama starring John Malkovich(when he still had hair) and Andie MacDowell. Not a bad movie, fun little plot and progression of events. Not bad. *** out of **** stars.
I looked it up online and I definitely never saw this movie from 1991. I then noticed under the info section that this was only released to 18 movie theaters in the US at the time so that probably explains why I've never heard of it. Here's a classic also from 1991 that you should check out. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101615/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010 Likes: 47
Veteran
|
|
Veteran
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010 Likes: 47 |
Hahahahaha, that is actually good?
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023 Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
|
|
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023 Likes: 66 |
Hahahahaha, that is actually good?
I see my joke just did this to you: 
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010 Likes: 47
Veteran
|
|
Veteran
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010 Likes: 47 |
Hahahahaha, that is actually good?
I see my joke just did this to you: I was not sure if serious or not. 
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 27,044 Likes: 26
Lifer
|
|
Lifer
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 27,044 Likes: 26 |
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,323 Likes: 19
Hotshot
|
|
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,323 Likes: 19 |
Ghostbusters Afterlife: Stranger Things kids play with Ghostbusters car and gadgets they found. I fell asleep three times on the couch.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023 Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
|
|
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023 Likes: 66 |
Ghostbusters Afterlife: Stranger Things kids play with Ghostbusters car and gadgets they found. I fell asleep three times on the couch. Based on the reviews I've read at least it seems this Ghostbusters was a HUGE improvement over the previous iteration. As for me personally, I have zero interest.
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 9,573 Likes: 11
Hotshot
|
|
Hotshot
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 9,573 Likes: 11 |
David Suchet as Poirot in "Death on the Nile" (2003).
Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 24"P (180hz/1080p) + Samsung 32" Odyssey Neo G7 4K 1000R Curved (165Hz/4K/2160p) + 24"P (180hz/1080p), AMD R9-9950X, 64GB [email protected], GIGABYTE X870E AORUS Master MB, ( 4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~58TB storage, 1300W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, EVGA X20 Mouse, W11 Pro
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,912 Likes: 32
Senior Member
|
|
Senior Member
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,912 Likes: 32 |
Don't Look Up. Probably won't be too popular here, but while watching it I couldn't help but think that there was an equally scathing movie to be made about the Russian response  (without spoilers, the Russian response is very briefly shown as also ultimately a massive fail.) I wish they would consider the possibility of an echo movie 
Last edited by DM; 01/09/22 03:05 PM.
"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010 Likes: 47
Veteran
|
|
Veteran
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010 Likes: 47 |
Don't Look Up. Probably won't be too popular here, but while watching it I couldn't help but think that there was an equally scathing movie to be made about the Russian response  (without spoilers, the Russian response is very briefly shown as also ultimately a massive fail.) I wish they would consider the possibility of an echo movie  I saw this in a review and alas, while I enjoy science fiction more than any other genre, I do not enjoy being proselytized to in a film: Annoyingly, in these days movies from the U. S. are becoming more and more of "a color". They are not telling a story, but are taking a side. They are either democrat or republican, conservative or liberal, blue or red, flyover or coast. Don't Look Up is not a big offender, but the language and presentation was clearly on the "coast" side. Thus, it will be probably appreciated by people who already saw the world this way and ignored or at best maligned by the people on the other side. And it's a pity, because this film is meant to bring us together as a civilization and not keep us divided. I feel like it could have done a better job in that direction.
"Contact" did a really good job of exploring the flaws of humanity while avoiding taking a side. I saw a really thoughtful movie this weekend that I will post about later.
Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 01/09/22 06:44 PM.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,323 Likes: 19
Hotshot
|
|
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,323 Likes: 19 |
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,976 Likes: 3
Far Out, Solid & Right On Hotshot
|
|
Far Out, Solid & Right On Hotshot
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,976 Likes: 3 |
Half way through season 5 of Better Call Saul. Such an excellent show.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
|
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
|
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|