His Majesty King George V hereby confers the following honour:
Citation for the award of Major Frederick H.B. Abbott’s Victoria Cross reads as follows:
On 12 September 1918, while leading a patrol, he attacked a formation of enemy Fokker DVIIs. He quickly destroyed an enemy machine that flew in front of him. Climbing back into the fight, he got behind and destroyed a Fokker that was pursuing one of his flight members. He then attacked another enemy aeroplane that was itself attacking a British machine. After firing three bursts from his machine guns, he saw that he unmistakably had killed the German pilot, whose machine crashed behind our lines.
The following day, 13 September 1918, he attacked two enemy observation aircraft. He sent one down to crash and drove down the other.
On 14 September 1918, he led his patrol in an attack against a larger formation of enemy fighting machines. He fired several bursts into a Fokker biplane, which broke up in the air. He then attacked a second machine, which also broke up in the air. He then chased a third Fokker and shot it down, where it was seen to crash behind the enemy front. With his engine beginning to give him trouble, he returned toward his aerodrome but, ignoring his mechanical difficulties, he climbed to engage a German machine which was fighting with another British aeroplane. This he quickly sent down to crash. His engine now seized, he came under fire from a remaining Fokker and was wounded. Undaunted, he maneuvered his crippled machine to attack the enemy, destroying it with several bursts of machine-gun fire.
These actions, in which Major Abbott destroyed nine enemy machines, two of which broke up in the air and two of which fell in flames, brought his total successes up to ninety-three enemy machines destroyed and stand as a notable example of the exceptional bravery and disregard for danger which this very gallant officer has always displayed throughout his distinguished career.
A grateful people thank you for your steadfast service, your sacrifice, and your loyalty.
Raine - Thank you for the VC and the wonderful write-up! Freddy is honoured and humbled. On a personal note, how was your time off and visiting with your sons?
Fullofit - When that first SPAD lost control directly in front of Klaus I was waiting for the crunch. Too close. That second video showcases your man’s outstanding situational awareness, not to mention his flying skills. He owned the skies in that one.
Albert - Good to see that Captain Murphy was able to chalk up a few more claims before the bad weather set in. And another overnight in Toul, eh? Here’s hoping Andy and Bella can slip away and spend some time together.
Trooper - Agreed. What's up with that?
Carrick - Cecil needs at least one of those pending claims confirmed and he’ll be a double ace. Fingers crossed.
Epower - Ripper survives, and is back with his Eliza, outstanding. But a tumultuous reunion for the two star-crossed lovers. As for the King’s ace not wanting to be sent back to England to recover, he may not have enough strings to pull to keep that from happening, no matter what the danger may be waiting for him there. The plot thickens.
Stellar videos, screenshots, and reports, as always. Thanks everyone for sharing.
.
30 September 1918 43 Squadron R.A.F. Fienvillers, France
Major Frederick Abbott has been fighting the claims office as much as he has the air Huns as of late. He'd put in for two Fokkers after each of the two outings on the 27th and 28th, but all four were denied him. He began to wonder if the review board was going to leave him at 100 victories for the remainder of the war, being that it was such a nice round number and all. However, things changed after yesterday’s outing. At just past five that morning Freddy led an OP that, once again, had to start in the dark and the rain. Bah!
Another pre-dawn patrol ordered by HQ. Why? Who knows. But 'A' Flight took off in the drizzle and alted up on their way to the lines at Vimy.
North of Arras they happened upon a fight between a group of D.VIIs and a trio of Harry Tates. One of the King's B/R buses had become a fiery comet streaking across the dark gray clouds. Searchlights were poking up from the city below.
The Major latched on to an unsuspecting Fokker and let loose with the Vickers.
Moments later the Hun fell away in flames and pieces.
It crashed in a field just on the outskirts of Neuville-Saint-Vasst.
Freddy saw another D.VII caught in one of the searchlights and climbed to attack.
Several quick burst from the Snipe's guns and this Boche dropped to his demise as well. No other hostile intruders could be found at that point so the Major collected his men and finished the OP of the lines before returning to Fienvillers.
By late afternoon word had come in on the Major’s morning claims, both had been confirmed, the drought had ended, at least temporarily. However, hard rain and strong winds had once more settled upon the area and from reports was likely going to last a day or two.
This morning proved the reports correct, all flights were cancelled until further notice. But it did not bother Freddy one whit. During breakfast he’d received a call from Brigade. It was official, he’d been gazetted and was now the Crown’s latest recipient of the Victoria Cross! With this news, and the dud weather, tonight’s blow-out in the mess would be epic.
Epower – I think Eliza should be happy that Oliver is staying on the nice, safe Western Front instead of getting anywhere near to Clarissa.
Carrick – Cecil has been doing splendidly of late. The Camel suits you!
Fullofit – Terrific work against those DH4s. Do you think you actually killed the observers, or was it that you force the pilot to manoeuvre enough that the observers could not fire at you that much?
Albert – After being away only nine days, I returned to find Andrew in hot pursuit of his fiftieth victory! The boy really has the touch. Very well done.
Lou – Congratulations on reaching the 100 victory mark. That is like summitting an 8000 metre peak in Woff terms. And most of all, congratulations on your splendid achievement that brought the Victoria Cross.
I have some catching up to do before I can post my end of month stats…
Journal of 2nd Lieutenant Robert Fergus Drummond, DFC 32 Squadron, Royal Air Force La Bellevue, France
Part 12
"It began to trail smoke and put its nose down…"
Back with the squadron more than a week, I had yet to find real success in the air. I had mainly just been shot up and forced to run away. We were still under strength, and the parade of new pilots arriving from the pool gave us little cause for optimism. Too many of the new fellows seemed to lack the fighting spirit and love of flying needed for this job. They were better trained than those who came out in 1917, but I suspect many had joined the Air Force in the hopes of seeing out the war in a training establishment back in Britain. When we got them we had no time to break them in gently.
On 18 September, we had a squadron show in the morning, escorting a group of French bombing machines over the Bethune sector. Because of our depleted numbers we flew as two flights of six machines each. Hale led B Flight, to which I was attached. We flew close escort to the French machines. Zink led A Flight, providing top cover about a mile behind. Our patrol was uneventful and after about ninety minutes, the bombing machines turned for home. We followed them through some heavy cloud and lost sight of Zink’s flight. They returned to La Bellevue about twenty minutes after we had landed. They had run into some Fokkers and two of their pilots, both new men, were missing.
With fewer than a dozen serviceable machines, we were able to put up only a single flight that afternoon. Our task was a DOP – a Distant Offensive Patrol in the Vimy sector. We were over Oppy when attacked by a large formation of Fokkers. I managed to get behind a green-nosed machine and send it down out of control for victory number twelve. Then, just as I was feeling rather pleased with myself, no fewer than four Fokker D7s emerged from God knows where and began punching holes in my SE! I dived westward and headed for our lines, kicking the rudder one way and then the other while Hun machine gun rounds clanged off my engine and splintered struts and longerons. The trusty SE held together long enough that the Huns chose to turn away rather than follow me over our trenches at 200 feet.
The next day we were up twice. Our morning patrols were cancelled due to the number of machines under repair, but we got a telephone call about some German two-seaters in the neighbourhood and I joined Hale, Lawson, and MacBean in an attempt to find them. We circled in a long oval that brought us north to Avesnes-le-Comte and back south to La Bellevue. MacBean was the first to spot the Huns – three Rumplers circling about near Soncamp Farm. We gave chase and they made off back to the lines. I followed as far as Arras with my machine wallowing about at 19,000 feet. I fired several bursts from five or six hundred yards with no visible effect and turned for home.
Despite having only five serviceable machines for the afternoon, we were dispatched to bomb Haubordin airfield. Zink led us in with strict orders to make a single bombing run from low altitude and climb away westward without delay. We accomplished this, causing heavy damage and getting away cleanly.
We had only seven SEs available to us on 20 September, so we were a bit put out when we received orders from Wing to return to bomb Haubordin yet again. Hale led the patrol this time. We circled north-east of Doullens and climbed up to 12,000 feet before heading north. There was a considerable cloud layer at 8000 feet. I saw through a gap Arras pass beneath my right lower wing. Then Hale suddenly signalled that EA were in sight. Even though we were still over friendly territory, we had to release our bombs and hope for the best. Hill was leading us toward a swarm of Fokkers that were attacking three of the new Sopwith Snipes. The resulting melee was hair-raising – plenty of near collisions. Every time you got into position to fire at a Hun, you found another Hun on your tail. After about five minutes of this, the scrap broke up and I had a chance to look about me. Down below, a grey Fokker was chasing one of the Snipes. I dived onto its tail and was able to put a long burst into the EA from very close range. It began to trail smoke and put its nose down, diving vertically into a field below. The Snipe pilot came alongside and gave me an appreciative wave.
A grateful Snipe
Inexplicably, Wing sent us back to Haubordin early that afternoon. Once again, we never made it. As we passed to the east of Camblain l’Abbé en route to the target, we ran into a group of seven Fokkers. There were six of us, and it was refreshing to go into a fight where the odds were so nearly even! And things evened up quickly, for I got a good crack at one of the EAs and sent it down out of control. A little later, I chased a Hun with a yellow tail down low and saw it lose a wing and crash. The first EA could not be confirmed as no wreckage was found, but the second counted as my fourteenth victory.
"A little later, I chased a Hun with a yellow tail down low and saw it lose a wing and crash."
We began 21 September with a predawn takeoff for – you guessed it – Haubordin. Another DOP this time. In the half-light of the early morning, we were picked up by Huns searchlights and attacked by a bloodthirsty group of insomniac Huns. As we were well outnumbered, I dived and zoomed out of the searchlight beam and got away in the mirk.
Things went better that afternoon despite my trepidation at our orders. Hale, Zink, and I were sent to bag a kite balloon a few miles south-east of Monchy. We were able to approach above a cloud bank and dive on the target only at the last minute. I probably annoyed Bud by opening my throttle and pulling ahead of him as we neared the spot where we would descend. That way I got the first crack at the balloon, which was all I needed. I fired for five long bursts as I dived toward the sausage, emptying the Lewis and overheating the Vickers. The balloon erupted into a satisfying fireball. Victory number fifteen.
Lou, thank you for the praise. It is definitely undeserved. It was more luck than skill. Congrats on the lovely gong - the door opener, free dinner ticket, lady lure all in one. I’m sure Freddy is going to put it to good use. So, the drought is over. 102 despite the previous claims denied outright. How ironic the claims that no one could possibly see get easily confirmed. Now, off to get smashed in the mess and then practice that curtsy for the King. Congrats on the bling once again. BTW, your boy shouldn’t complain about his confirmation ratio. 62% is nothing to scoff at. If Klaus had a success ratio like that he’d be sitting at 157 confirmations, not 137.
Raine, I doubt I can get the gunners early on. I think Bréguets have a more generous firing lines of sight and their pilots have a much easier time placing their bus where they want to. A D.VII can barely keep up with them in a turn. Looks like a mixed bag of successful and failed missions in the latest report. At least Drummond is holding his own and it is more the Huns that go down than his SE.5. It also shows how limited HQ’s imagination is ordering No. 32 to Haubourdin over and over. It’s like Klaus getting stuck with ground forces support missions all the time.
30 September, 1918 Montingen, Verdun Sector Jasta 18 Rittmeister Klaus Gustav Raben RAO AO PLM HHO EK1 EK2 Fokker D.VII 137 confirmed kills
Only the Bréguet on fire has been confirmed. High winds and the rain blasting the glass panes of the windows of Schloss Montingen told Raben everything he needed to know. Another dud day. Klaus was allowed to catch up on his sleep. The nights were getting much colder too. He already had to throw another blanket over his bed. If it gets any colder he’ll have to start sleeping in his socks.
End of month stats:
Rittmeister Klaus Gustav Raben RAO AO PLM HHO EK1 EK2 Jasta 18 Montingen, Verdun Sector Fokker D.VII
174 missions 141.23 hrs 137 victories 255 claims
"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys, The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain, From out of my arse take the camshaft, And assemble the engine again."
Fullofit - That lone SPAD looked too good to be true and it nearly was for the rest of the Jasta, all throwing themselves at the enemy and treading on each other's toes as they did. It took their top ace to show them how it's done. Then onto the afternoon, it looked dicey for a bit against SPADs and Breguets but Klaus handled them comfortably enough. A shame about the claims but at least the burning Breguet was seen. Now the weather has closed in for us all and Klaus is left feeling the chill. Grab a bottle of schnapps and share some memories with the rest of his Jasta...."Hey Klaus, do you remember that time we flew around like a gang of morons and you had to step in and shoot everything down." As for Andy, he's used to taking precautions. As for the 100 kills, not if this crappy weather continues cancelling flying.
Lou - Congratulations to Freddy and his VC, thoroughly deserved. Then onto his latest outings. HQ seem hell-bent on turning him into a night fighter, but he's taking to it very well indeed. Two excellent kills in difficult circumstances and the bonus of having them confirmed. Then the news of his award and the obligatory shebang to celebrate.
Raine - Good to see you back in the saddle and Fergie in the air. A very busy time of it for him, especially with depleted numbers of aircraft on several sorties. He showed those Fokkers that there's still life in those SE's yet. Fifteen confirmed kills and a very appreciative Snipe driver. As for Andy, he's in pretty good nick at the moment and could have done without this weather break but can't be helped I guess.
"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
Captain Andrew Murphy, DSC x2, CdG, 22nd Aero Toul airfield
54 confirmed kills
30th September 1918
Andy and Captain Bridgeman both sat in the staff car as it sploshed it's way along the eastern road towards Toul. Corporal Havard was a good driver but even he had problems in all the mud. Added to that was all the military traffic on the road, meaning it was slow going.
The flying had been officially cancelled for the day and was almost certainly cancelled for tomorrow too.
The car was rather warm with the roof extended and the windows up and Andy had to keep wiping the condensation from the window to see where they were.
The car eventually pulled into the Town Hall grounds and upto the entrance and the two Captains stepped out and made their way in, saluting the drenched poilu keeping guard.
They were met by Colonel Billy Mitchell who brought them into the reception room. "Good to see you both gentlemen, help yourself to a drink." said Mitchell.
Andy grabbed a small bourbon. He didn't want too much and wanted to save himself for later.
They then headed into the conference room where several more were seated or taking their seats. General Patrick was already at the head of the table. He spotted Andy coming in and announced to the room, "Gentlemen, may I introduce our top ace in the USAS, Captain, soon to be Major, Murphy!".
There was a round of applause and a few of the officers stood up to greet Andy personally. Bill Thaw was one of them and Harold Hartney being another.
Hartney said "Glad to see you're keeping yourself safe ace, have you heard about Frank Luke?".
"Thank you sir, no I've not heard?" Andy replied.
"He posted missing yesterday. Somewhere near Murvaux. All we know at the moment is that a load of balloons went down in flames and he never returned." said Hartney.
"D@mn it, he looked like he was turning into some pilot." said Andy.
"Yeah he certainly was. The problem is he's always flown on the edge, all or nothing, and this time it's turned out the wrong way. We're trying to get confirmation from the krauts but they've not said much yet." said Hartney.
The General called the room to order, "Gentlemen, shall we get started?".
Andy took a chair and the meeting began. The General went through the situation at the front and the USAS results. He mentioned the attack in the Argonne had slowed but this was due to the first troops being exhausted and reserves now being brought in. Once they're in formation the attack will begin again.
The British and French had broken the Hindenburg line and were forcing the gap. He then said General Pershing believed the Germans on the western front were a spent force, but would toughen up as the frontline neared Germany proper.
He then outlined the USAS plans for the next few weeks and personally mentioned Andy's taking over at the 49th on the 4th October.
After roughly an hour and a half the meeting wound down and they decamped to the reception room where a good spread of food was laid out.
Andy ate lightly, probably more nerves than anything else. He spent time talking with the other CO's. Eventually at about 3pm, he made his apologies and farewells and made his way into town. The rain had subsided somewhat and he fancied some fresh air after the time in the car and in the meeting room, breathing cigar and cigarette smoke.
He spotted Le Sanglier and headed over. The streets were packed with troops and transports and he hoped the bar wouldn't be too crowded.
Thankfully it wasn't as he stepped in, a couple of tables were taken and a couple of the booths but he was shown to a booth near the door where he could see and be seen.
He ordered a bottle of wine and drank slowly. Twice the door opened and someone walked in but on both occasions it was someone else, a french officer came in and sat with a female friend. The second time a nurse walked in had a look around and then walked out again.
Andy suddenly realised he had no idea if Bella had even received his letter, nevermind if she was going to actually turn up or not and if she was, what time!
He stopped panicking and relaxed. Shortly afterwards the door opened again and a nurse came in. She turned to hang her cape on the stand and as she turned Andy recognised it was Bella.
Bella saw him and smiled deeply, Andy smiled back and stood up. The pair hugged warmly and shared a brief kiss.
Bella sat down and Andy poured her a drink. "Here, I can imagine you need that." said Andy.
"You'd be right, I've been in since 4am." replied Bella.
"4am? Jeez, that's a 12 hour shift." said Andy.
"Yeah, I had to do extra to make up for tomorrow." said Bella.
"Tomorrow?" said Andy.
"I managed to get tomorrow off, but had to work extra today." said Bella.
Andy smiled broadly "You got the whole day? That's fantastic."
"Well, your letter kind of led me to think that's what you wanted." said Bella.
"Of course I did. As soon as I heard we were coming here I could only think of writing to you and I had to be quick." said Andy.
"I kind of got that sweetheart. It made me smile at the end of a lonnnng day." said Bella.
Andy glowed inside at the use of 'sweetheart'.
"But I then had to start another shift 6 hours later once I'd arranged the day off." said Bella.
Andy reached across the table and took Bella's hand. "Thank you beautiful, I'm sorry I made you work so hard." said Andy.
"It was worth it, we're here now." said Bella.
The pair looked at each other deeply. Bella was the first to stir, "Shall we eat? I'm famished."
The pair ordered and ate well, Andy had the Carpaccio de langue de boeuf chaud froid whilst Bella had the Poulet roti aux marrons.
They talked deeply, Bella mentioned she'd written to her father and Andy mentioned he'd written to his parents only briefly and would write again soon.
She mentioned it had stayed very busy in the hospital and they'd drafted in many more nurses.
He mentioned about his promotion and appointment with the 49th. Andy, took on a stern look, in jest.
Bella's face dropped, "Where are they based?" she asked in earnest.
Andy couldn't hide a chuckle, "At the same airfield I am now Bella." he replied.
Bella stared at him and gently rapped him on the arm, "You! Pulling my leg like that! I thought you were going to say Flanders then!" she said, but then broke into laughter. The pair held each other and kissed again briefly.
They shared another bottle of wine and then decided they'd like a walk. The rain had ceased, at least for now.
It was now fairly dark so they walked around the cathedral and up towards the river. They stopped in a small tree lined hollow and shared a passionate embrace.
"Where shall we go now?" asked Andy.
"I was thinking the same thing, I don't fancy any more bars." said Bella, linking Andy as they walked.
"Me neither............" Andy hesitated.
"I have a hotel room booked. We could head back there?" said Andy, already rebuking himself for his forwardness.
"We could go to my apartment." said Bella after some hesitation.
"If you're alright with that?" said Andy.
"Well I'm not in the habit of it........but.......yes...I'd like that." said Bella holding Andy's hand again.
"I'd like that too." said Andy.
The pair made their way to Bella's apartment. "Am I even allowed in here?" asked Andy.
"Shushhhhhhh probably not, but it's my own apartment." said Bella as they both entered.
Andy took a seat on the small couch as Bella went into the bedroom. "I'm just going to get changed, there's a bottle of wine in the cupboard if you want." she said.
Andy grabbed the wine and a pair of glasses that were there too. He poured two glasses as Bella came back in, she had a night dress on and a thin dressing gown. She looked amazing.
The pair sat together and talked some more. They then kissed again and Bella took Andy's hand and they went into the bedroom........
"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
Captain Andrew Murphy, DSC x2, CdG, 22nd Aero Toul airfield
End of month stats
59 missions 44.2 hours 86 claims 54 kills
"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
Fullofit - Nah, the Palpatine reference doesn't count, only lines in the actual narrative. I'll give you a hint. Balloon. Yes, Oliver is now the one keeping secrets. Gonna get complicated with two complicated women. This has train wreck written all over it. Stay tuned. As for your man Klaus, he continues to cut his swath through the Entente air forces, despite the overwhelming odds. Oliver is sympathetic to the struggle against two seaters. As you will soon see, those bloody Hun observation machines are no picnic, despite Freddy and Andrew making it look easy.
Carrick - Yeah, those nurses are a handful. Spies too. Good work keeping Cecil above ground during all these ground attacks. Glad you and Le Camel are figuring out where each likes to be touched. Carry on my good man!
Albert - Wow! 54 confirmed for Andrew. Congrats. Those cloud fights always put the wind up me. Good work chasing down the Hun in those conditions. Excellent pic of the hapless Rumpler blazing like a torch. Alas, poor Luke. The way he flew his chances of survival were unlikely at best. Went out in a blaze of glory. Not much time left with 22 Aero now. The mantle of command awaits...but first an escalation with the lovely Bella. Ah, l'Amour.
Raine - Great to have you back at it. DID imitates life with rusty human drivers spending time away from the fight. But then Fergie remembered how. Those single flight patrols are very much cause for concern when it becomes 1:2 odds. Fergie did well to survive the initial rush until the fight spread out, then he could chose his man. Nice of that Snipe driver to show his appreciation. The pesky Boche are getting more aggressive these days, coming over the lines now. Not good. Bursting Gasbags, by contrast, very good. Fergie will be buying Bud a few drinks I suspect.
Lou - Yes, an England arc would be the thing but there isn't time. Oliver will take a more conventional path, at least for now. Bravo Freddy! A centurion and now a Victoria Cross holder. Well-earned indeed. I see the Snipe rampage continues. I do lust for fuselage mounted Vickers but one must make do. Those search-lit missions in the dawn early light make for excitement and excellent screenshots. The lit up Fokker was especially cool. Can't wait to hear the tale of the VC binge.
So, rain suspends flight operations all over the Western Front for the next day or two. Never fear, Team Catch-up (Raine and epower) will help you beguile the tedium.
***Note - Somehow in all the fuss, and with addled brain, Colonel T.A.E. Cairnes, OC 22nd Wing became Colonel Carries. Not sure how that happened but there it is. The very scale of correcting all my past posts boggles the mind so I'll do it later.
_________________________________________________
À la Recherche du Temps Perdu - Part 105
23 August 1918 No. 5 British Red Cross Hospital Wimereux, France
My second day here. I didn’t see Eliza after our meeting in the sister’s garden. Endless streams of wounded poured into 55 CCS. I was on the Ambulance Train later that evening. No. 5 BRX, also known as Lady Hadfield’s Hospital, occupies the old resort at the Hotel des Anglais and acts as overflow annex for No. 14 General.
The medicos here can’t believe how quickly my wound is healing and bother me constantly with their examinations. All manner of “Hmms” and raised eyebrows. More than one “I say!” I don’t mind them furthering their medical knowledge at my expense but must they put their hands in ice buckets before they visit? I didn’t pay much attention to their conversations but the terms Latissimus Dorsi and Teres Major came up frequently. Those must be the muscles the bullet passed through. Today they removed the drain. If all goes well, I may be able to return to Bertangles tomorrow. No question of flying as yet. I’ll have to pass a medical board (or so they think!) but I’m going mad sitting here in hospital. The next push started on the 21st and I need to be back with No. 24 Squadron.
24 August 1918 No. 24 Squadron RAF Bertangles, France
Back with the Squadron at last. In the end I had to make a fuss. Telephoned Lawson at Noon and had him to dispatch Cpl. Chorley in the Squadron Shelsely. The Doctors balked at first but relented when I threatened to go AWL from hospital if they didn’t let me go. There may be a row with Wing and RAF HQ but I’ll deal with that later.
During my absence, Hazell continued his abuse of the Kaiser’s Balloon Corps destroying two on the 21st and another on the 22nd. Southey sent one down also.
Many new faces and some old ones gone. I introduced myself to the new men:
Woods arrived on the 16th, Pertus the 17th, Geraghty on the 18th and Menzies just two days ago.
Saw Bill Lambert and he looked completely done in. He’s having trouble with his ears. I may send him to hospital tomorrow if he doesn’t improve. Like Jimmy McCudden, I learned the trick of opening my ear tubes on descent. I can pull it off most days so I don’t get dazed after a prolonged dive. Not everyone has the knack. I always remember Beery Bowman staggering around for 15 minutes on landing after a rapid descent.
Bunny’s DFC came through on the 17th, he left on leave the next day, then to HE.
Wound is rather sore after the ride back to Bertangles. Reported to Colonel Cairnes at the Wing offices. His reception was cool and while he seemed genuinely concerned about my wounding, he took me to task regarding the manner of my escape from hospital and made it known in no uncertain terms that I’d be flying a desk for the foreseeable future.
Keith Park, No. 48 Sqn CO dropped by the Squadron office today. No. 48 will host a concert this evening. I don’t know him well but we have the sea in common, both of us having served on merchant ships.
Off to rest now. Major A. H. O’Hara-woods, OC No. 46 squadron invited me to dine with the squadron this evening. Colonel Cairnes will also be there. Maybe I can change his mind.
______________________________
Gods Below! I nearly went to the Death God tonight.
It’s 2.00 AM. I'm still keyed up as I write this. The whiskey is no help at all.
Just after dinner the bombs fell
Luckily, I was with 46 Squadron at the far end of the field. The mess emptied in a mad rush. I was the last man out. As we all ran headlong for a trench the Huns strafed the field. I could hear the *zip* of bullets whizzing past and kicking up dirt as they missed us by inches. Nearly to the trench when I saw Colonel Cairnes ahead of me fall hard. He tried to rise and collapsed back to the ground. I grabbed him by the collar with my left arm and with strength born of fear and battle madness I dragged him the last 10 yards and threw him bodily into the trench. His body twisted in the air and he landed atop the huddled men, flat on his back staring back at me with a look of surprise. The action stood me up and stopped my momentum.
Before I could follow another fusillade from the Hun above landed around me.
“…with the bronze spear, furious to take the life from him. But the goddess gray-eyed Athene in her hand catching the spear pushed it way, so he missed and stabbed vainly.”
Untouched, I dropped into the trench.
The attack went on for many minutes. Direct hits on 48 Squadron's hangars. They lost at least 12 aircraft and all of their heavy transport vehicles. No. 23 Squadron lost most of their Dolphins. 84 Squadron’s middle hangar is a smoking ruin. The Huns strafed the airfield repeatedly. At least 8 men are dead, among them Alec Matthews, a fellow American and a squad mate from my time with 84 Sqn. 30 others wounded.
24 Squadron got off lightly. Many aircraft with holes but none with significant damage. Nobody wounded.
25 August 1918 No. 24 Squadron RAF Bertangles, France
Two patrols out today but few e/a sighted. No combats. A/Ms working round the clock to repair machines and facilities. They shall have little sleep these next days. No. 48 Squadron, or what’s left of it, transferred to 11th Wing today. I shall miss getting to know Park. He seemed a kindred spirit. Sholto Douglas told me that Park’s nickname is Skipper from his time at sea.
Packed Lambert off to hospital. He’s one of our best and I hate to lose him but he’s come to the end of the road, at least for now. If I kept him flying, he’d go West. His replacement, H. J. C. Seymour arrived late this afternoon.
Some good news with the evening dispatch. Selwyn has the DFC! Tomorrow we celebrate his decoration.
26 August 1918 No. 24 Squadron RAF Bertangles, France
Returning to the flow of command. Endless reports. Lawson kept everything running smoothly during my absence. I will be in grave danger should I ever lose him.
Our medical orderly thought the stitches ready to come out. Chorley drove me to the Abbeville Hospital annex, where a doctor agreed with the assessment and removed the blasted itchy things. He then put me though a rigorous examination, testing the strength and coordination of my right arm, after which he then pronounced me fit for duty. I interpret that news as “All Ahead Full,” but I can’t take any chances on that score. Called on Colonel Cairnes. He was unwounded the other night but wrenched his knee when he fell. He rose with a wince as I entered. I told him about the Doctor’s opinion and requested a medical board.
“Why not just mind the store, Winningstad? Even a fire-eater like you has to make an end. Five wound stripes now? You’ve nothing to prove to anyone. Victories beyond count, a VC, two bars to your DSO, MC. Even the Frogs honor you. You’ve done it all.”
“I don’t care about decorations, sir.”
“That’s not what I meant, Major.”
“Of course, sir. But I can’t ignore the fact that No. 24 Squadron grow less experienced by the day. Farrell’s Flight came through, so in two days I’ll lose one of my best pilots to 56, not to mention another Flight Commander.”
“Who?”
“Selwyn. He’s been out since April and he’s near the end.”
“Can’t be helped. That’s the way of things.” said the Colonel.
“Understood, sir. But for these reasons, and others, I consider it my duty as Commanding Officer to lead these men in the air.”
“You said that once before,” he replied. Colonel Cairnes frown grew into a scowl. A great struggle played out on his features. Whether it was orders from above or his own initiative, he was dead set against me flying again but I’d saved his life the other night and he knew it.
“I am in your debt, Winningstad,” he said finally. "I thought we were both done for. How those Huns missed hitting you, standing up like that, I’ll never know.”
He sighed, now resigned to taking action against his better judgement.
“Very well. If you’re set on flying, I’ll arrange a medical board.”
“Thank you, Colonel.”
“And Winningstad…don’t bloody make me regret this.”
“You can count on me, sir.”
“That will be all, Major.”
27 August 1918 No. 24 Squadron RAF Bertangles, France
At 4.30 Jenkins soft voice brought me awake with splendid news. Rain. Torrents of rain. I sent him away with orders to wake me at 7 o’clock.
Wound feels better each day. Thought about working the bag but there's no sense pushing things along until I pass the medical board.
28 August 1918 No. 24 Squadron RAF Bertangles, France
More rain bucketing down, a real gully washer. Bertangles a muddy mess for now.
Larrabee, an American flying for the RAF, arrived today.
Tonight was a double celebration. Farrell’s farewell party and also a christening of his DFC. A newly minted Captain, he’s off to take command of a Flight with 56 Squadron. South arranged a splendid meal, the highlight of which was a rib roast of beef.
29 August 1918 No. 24 Squadron RAF Bertangles, France
The day started well enough. More rain. This morning I passed a medical board with flying colors. Huzzah! That’s only good news of the day.
Any hope of getting away to see Eliza at Vecquemont died in the cradle.
Selwyn woke feverish and weak. Likely the influenza which is cropping up more often now. He’s off to hospital. Worse news. Pertus is dead. Spun in during practice. We rushed him to Dury Hospital but he died this afternoon. With Sterling & Hellet going on leave this morning, we’ve lost 4 pilots in a single day.
I gave Barton Command of C Flight. He's earned it.
30 August 1918 No. 24 Squadron RAF Bertangles, France
Barton opened his account as C Flight Commander on the early show, sending an Albatros C type down. Bair and Harries shared the victory. On the same patrol, Bair attacked a battery near Bouvincourt and knocked it out of action. When the Huns reset the gun and resumed firing, he attacked again and silenced it, then for good measure he stampeded the horses.
We buried Pertus this afternoon at Dury Cemetery. What a ghastly place! Headstones and crosses knocking every which way under the shadow of the old asylum wall. I do hope they move his body to a more cheerful spot when the war ends.
5.00 Joined the evening show, an OP over Cappy. Twelve aircraft in two mixed flights. I flew with Lowe and B Flight trailing Hazell’s group. After 15 minutes of circling, A Fight suddenly broke off to starboard then dove. Huns! By the time B Flight arrived on scene 2 or the 6 Pfalz were tumbling down on fire. I made a single pass through the mix, landed a snapshot then resumed my perch above the fight. Shooting way off. Reactions slow.
Rouille. Can you say Rouille?
Airspace above remained clear. A & B Flights dispatched the Pfalz in short order then we resumed patrol. No other e/a sighted.
31 August 1918 No. 24 Squadron RAF Bertangles, France
The Aussies are making their push to take Mont St. Quentin and open the door to Peronne. A daunting task to say the least.
Mont St. Quentin from the Australian lines. Arthur Streeton 1918
10.20 Offensive patrol over the Perrone area. With Barton and C Flight this morning. Hazell and A Flight flew top cover.
Over Peronne, Barton spotted a flight of 7 Fokkers at our altitude and led us into the attack.
Greentails! Those are the Sons of B!tches who shot me.
Caught onto a Hun and fired a long burst at 60 yards. No effect whatsoever. I couldn’t keep the wretched Fokker in my sights. The enemy weaved about like a sailor on a hard drunk and I flew like one as well. Ridiculous!
Hazell felt obliged to offer assistance, firing a short burst before breaking off.
After spraying lead all over the Somme region I finally hit something vital.
The Fokker fell off to the right, spun, recovered, then continued into a steepening descent. He crashed in our lines just south of the Somme bend. __________________________
No 24 is a squadron much diminished from the crack outfit I led a mere two weeks ago. Four of my most experienced pilots including one Flight Commander, gone. All irreplaceable. Forty-one victories between them.
Bill Lambert to hospital Wilfred Selwyn to Hospital Bunny Foster to HE Con Farrell to 56 Sqn as Flight Commander
John Scot Haigh and Rennie Alphonse Pertus killed in their first two weeks.
Cyril Lowe, commanding B Flight, is due for Home Establishment. I’ll lose him soon. Today’s arrival, Fuller, makes it 7 new men in a fortnight.
Seven new men:
John Chadbourn Rorison Jack Ralph Woods William C. G. Geraghty John Tate Menzies Harold J. C. Seymour Edward Payne Larrabee Roland Usher Fuller
Of these, Rorison is the only pilot with any combat experience, serving since June with No 85 & 84 Squadrons before joining us. Menzies is nearly 30 years of age and flew with No. 5 & 16 Squadrons last year…on R.E.8s! Not a minute of combat time in scouts. At least he’s seen the elephant and won’t have to fly those death traps again. The remaining five are fresh from the cradle. I have work to do if I’m to keep them, and myself alive.
1 September 1918 No. 24 Squadron RAF Bertangles, France
After yesterday’s dreadful performance and horrendous marksmanship, I spent the morning flying practice patrol with the 6 new men. After that, gunnery practice. Tried to work the bag with my left hand but my right side squawked loudly in protest. It may be some time before I’m fully match fit.
No word yet on yesterday’s Fokker.
2 September 1918 No. 24 Squadron RAF Bertangles, France
10.45 Defensive Patrol. Bapaume to Arras. No e/a sighted. Absolutely frigid aloft.
Col Cairnes called to congratulate Barton for his excellent reconnaissance today over Tincourt. The Huns are in dissarray and falling back. If this continues we might bring the war to an end this year.
Green Tail confirmed. One Hundred Seventy-nine
3 September 1918 No. 24 Squadron RAF Bertangles, France
5.50 An urgent request came through to deal with offending Observation machines over our lines east of Bapaume. Lowe is off to HE tomorrow for a well-earned rest, so I have B Flight until a new Flight Commander arrives.
Caught a flight of six Hannovers over Doullens. Made one ineffective attack. The German Observer was a fine shot and ventilated D330 to such an extent that I lost nearly 10 mph of speed. Flight chased after the scattering Huns. I reloaded the Lewis gun and went haring off after the trailer. I couldn’t catch him. I sat there fuming helplessly and he climbed back to Hunland and safety. Another day, Herman.
Hazell has a bar to his DFC for his August 8th action.
4 September 1918 No. 24 Squadron RAF Bertangles, France
10.00 Call from 3rd Corps complaining about two balloons overlooking the Le Transloy-Sailly-Saillisel road. I dispatched Hazell and A flight to deal with the nuisance gasbags.
10.45 Attack on Cantin Aerodrome. I led B Flight with Miller, Rorison, Rose and Wales. I left Fuller and Larrabee at Bertangles. They aren’t ready for a raid 12 miles over the lines so I conscripted Wren from C Flight.
No opposition, very little Archie.
Rorison blew the Kasino sky high! I shall stand him to drinks tonight. Prost!
Gathered the flight, sped west climbing. We returned over the lines at 16,000 feet looking for trouble. Patrolled empty sky for two hours. no e/a.
Hazell and A flight beat us home by a full hour having destroyed both balloons, one of which fell on its own winch and burned for 20 minutes.
5 September 1918 No. 24 Squadron RAF Bertangles, France
5.50 Offensive Patrol, Lens to the Athies Rail Junction. I led B flight with Palmer, Miller, Rose, Wales, Rorison and Larrabee who was flying into Hunland for the first time.
Never reached the patrol area. 2 miles northeast of Doullens we spotted 7 Rumplers 3000 feet above heading southwest. These Huns must have some new engine. I’ve never struggled as we did to catch a Rumpler before. It took forever to reach their altitude and close the gap. I slowly crept to within 200 yards.
My foe made no vain cast.
With a lurid plinking sound, the bullets holed my petrol tank. Fuel sprayed everywhere. I hastily shut down the magnetos, killing the engine and banked away.
Gliding west...
…to land at Senlis-le-sec.
Before she was hit, D330 was making full revs yet struggling to catch up to the Rumplers. That’s never happened before. On landing all pilots reported the same thing. I have no idea how those Huns pulled away. Sent a report of the incident up to Wing. If the Boche have some new B/R machine that can match S.E.s at altitude, that changes everything.
6 September 1918 No. 24 Squadron RAF Bertangles, France
Preparing for a 9.45 full squadron patrol, the call came through of incoming Huns. We were sitting ducks if they caught us now, with all the aircraft lined up for takeoff. Images of Roucourt in reverse flashed through my head as I raced to D330. Nicolls and Webb had her fully warm so a quick turn of the starter crank brought the Wolseley to life.
A nervous two minutes until the last plane cleared the field. On a hunch, I gathered the flights and climbed east. Eventually we saw them 5000 feet above. A long stern chase revealed them to be Hannovers. Most likely the new up-engined type. Fired a few short bursts with the Vickers hoping for a lucky hit but the range was excessive. Not so for the Observer. The pilot flicked his machine into a fishtail turn to starboard and the G/O let fly.
Another bloody German sniper transferred to the Luftstreitkräfte!
A sharp, burning sting like molted iron seared the outside of my right calf. Petrol gushed all over my legs.
Switched off and glided back to Cappy in a fury. Two days running I get knocked out from range. No more creeping up from below. My rage cooled, replaced by mounting pain as the petrol soaking my Sidcott suit found its way through the bullet hole and into the wound.
I remembered something Jimmy would often repeat: A scout is no match for a well-handled two-seater. Time for a change of tactics.
Jenkins said nothing as he helped me out of my petrol soaked Sidcott for the second day in a row and tut-tutted only briefly as I removed my trousers to examine what was only a graze, thank the gods. I dressed again and hobbled off to the medical tent.
Raine: The Camel is a tuff little ship , hard to handle but handy. . Tactical problems the e/a are always higher up in better machines and the Fokker makes a good flyer even better. with a little luck my pilot will make it to the end of the War.
Epower - That was some catch up, Oliver basically forces his way out of the hospital and then comes up against the brick wall that is Colonel Cairnes. Hard, immovable, that is, until a certain ace saves his life. Nothing like a life debt to soften the cement. So only a couple of weeks after near death, Oliver is back in the air, remarkable. 24 squadron is constantly changing before his eyes once he's back. Pilots coming and going, very hard to maintain performance in that situation. Speaking of performance, our hero was a little ring rusty as well, not surprising when you consider what he's been through this last fortnight. He still dealt that Fokker a fatal blow for number 179! But it was enough to make him question his tactics against the two seaters. It's not the tactics friend, it's just hitting the blighters enough times to make them fall. A flesh wound to go with the countless others on Oliver's person.
I get the feeling Oliver is trying to make up for his squadron's deficiencies with his own performance and that's always a dangerous mindset. Just trust the skills that have brought him this far......a remarkable distance.
As for Andrew, he's looking forward to command. I think his relationship with Bridgeman has ran it's course. There's no animosity, but they've never quite been the same since Andy spoke his mind about the need for larger flights and the distance between them. The weather is an unwelcome distraction, Bella a very welcome attraction.
Carrick - A favourite pub to return to eh. I 'bette' I know why as well.
"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
Pursuant to official decree set forth on 28 septembre 1918 by le Président de la République Française, Capitaine Andrew Murphy is hereby named Chevalier de la Légion d'honneur for his outstanding record in battle.
Citation to the award reads as follows:
An exceptional officer and one who demonstrates regularly his brilliant qualities as a pursuit pilot, his coolness and his daring in combat inspire his patrols to attack enemy planes very superior in number, never failing to down them or put them to flight. His bold actions serve as fine example to all Entente fliers, and with over fifty downed enemy aircraft to his credit his is a record of service to be praised most highly.
Awarded the Chevalier de la Légion d'honneur this day, 1 octobre 1918.
The people of France thank you sincerely for your service extraordinaire.
Many thanks for Andy's award. It's a very pretty medal the Legion de Honour.
Captain Andrew Murphy, DSC x2, CdG 22nd Aero Toul airfield
54 confirmed kills
1st October 1918
Andy woke to an arm draped across his chest. A thin feminine arm. His first thought as he lay there was how soft and fluffy the pillow was. Nothing like the hard and flat rubbish in his quarters.
He turned his head to look at Bella, she was still asleep, her head near his shoulder. He could smell her hair, a sweet scent of lavender and rose. He rolled to the right slightly so he was on his back and Bella shuffled accordingly, she lifted her head and placed it on Andy's chest.
They lay there like that for another hour, Andy's thoughts went from memories of last night to, should he report in to Captain Bridgeman at the hotel. He turned his head and looked out of the small window, lace netting throwing a shadowy pattern on the far wall. It was bright enough but the tiles on the roofs opposite looked wet.
Eventually Bella stirred and opened her eyes and spoke in that half awake, half asleep manner, "Good morning sweetheart, have you been awake long?"
"Good morning beautiful, no not long." replied Andy.
"Do you want a coffee?" asked Bella, waking more with every moment.
"That'd be great." said Andy.
Bella raised herself on her elbow and leant in to kiss Andy who responded. She climbed out of bed and took her sleeping gown from the chair, her back was to Andy and he couldn't help but admire her form as she slipped the gown over her. He was about to say something but decided to just enjoy the moment.
About an hour later both Andy and Bella had risen, Andy had washed and dressed. Another cup of coffee had been followed by a croissant.
"So, what are we going to do today?" asked Bella.
"I guess I should check-in with my CO at the hotel in town, but after that, we could have a walk around the town? Maybe grab some lunch?." said Andy.
"How about a picnic?" said Bella. "Is it picnic weather?" responded Andy. Bella walked to the window, "it's bright enough and I'm sure we can find a tree to hide under if needed." said Bella.
"That sounds great." said Andy.
"Well give me a couple of hours. You can go and see your CO and I'll sort the food out. There's a lovely delicatessen down the road and a bakery next door." said Bella.
"That sounds ideal, I'll pick a bottle of wine up on my way back." replied Andy.
The two kissed and parted company and Andy walked over to the hotel.
As he entered the small bar, Captain Bridgeman was there having a coffee. There was another officer there, Andy recognised it was Charles Biddle.
Andy walked over, "Well hello stranger, how are you?" said Bridgeman.
"I'm great thank you, are you ok?" said Andy. "Yeah I'm good. You look refreshed tiger, I take it you didn't make it as far as here?" asked Bridgeman sarcastically.
"No, I managed to get a bed somewhere else." said Andy, not biting.
"I bet you did. Do you know Captain Biddle of 13th Aero?" said Bridgeman.
"We've never been introduced, how do you do Captain, it's a pleasure." said Andy.
"Hello Captain Murphy, I'm glad to finally get a chance to meet you properly, you're quite a celebrity around the USAS." said Biddle.
The trio talked for an hour, Bridgeman occasionally trying to bait Andy, not in a nasty way, but Andy laughed it off.
Eventually Andy said "So what time do we need to head back?".
"The driver is due here about 7pm. I take it you're off again?" said Bridgeman.
"Yes, I'm going out with Bella as she has the day off. I'll be here for 7 of course." replied Andy.
"I don't blame you tiger. I'll see you in a bit then." said Bridgeman.
Andy took his leave of Bridgeman and Biddle and headed upstairs to his room. His bag was still there on the bed, untouched.
He shaved and changed and headed back down to the bar. He asked the barman for two bottles of wine and can he have two glasses. The barman let him take a couple of nice wine glasses and Andy set off back to Bella's apartment.
Bella had prepared a large bag full of stuff and Andy added the wine and glasses to the bag.
"Shall we go for a walk first?" asked Andy.
"Yes that's fine." replied Bella. The pair left the picnic in the apartment and headed out.
The weather was warm enough but there was a constant threat of rain as occasional blue sky gave way to huge cumulo clouds.
They spent a couple of hours around the town, visiting the cathedral and then heading along the banks of the river. They walked hand in hand and talked as they walked.
"I need to write to my dad again clearly." said Bella.
"To tell him about us?" responded Andy.
"Yes, one day this war is going to be over. Plus I want him to know I'm ok over here." said Bella.
"True, I need to write to my folks too. Tell them about this nurse who's accosted me and won't let go." said Andy, grinning.
Bella did that gentle rapping of Andy's arm again, "Hey you! It was you staring at me constantly!" she replied.
"That's true actually." said Andy laughing.
"I'm sure glad you did as well." said Bella, warmly.
"I wouldn't change anything, it's all been wonderful." said Andy.
"Shall we go and get the picnic? This is a lovely spot." said Bella as they walked along the bank of the river.
"Yes of course" said Andy.
A short while later they'd returned with the picnic and Bella had laid it out. Andy was amazed at the amount of food she'd prepared. Gorgeous sandwiches, sausages, cheese and a selection of pickles and mustards.
Andy opened the wine and poured two glasses as Bella gave him a plate of food.
They sat and enjoyed the food and each other for the next couple of hours. Only once did the heavens open and they had to retreat further under the willows by the bank.
"Can I ask you something?" asked Bella. "Of course." said Andy.
"Has there been anyone else?" said Bella.
Andy thought for a moment, it wasn't the question that had thrown him, that was reasonable enough. It was how he phrased the response.
"There was a girl in high school, but that didn't last. Once I started in college and playing baseball for a living, I was constantly living out of suitcases." said Andy, as honestly as possible.
"You must have been drowning under willing beauties being a pro baseball player?" said Bella.
She hadn't meant it derogatorily and Andy knew that. "There were plenty of opportunities I guess, but honestly? No. Free and easy has never been my inclination." responded Andy. "I don't treat people that way and if I'm to find someone, I want it to be special." he finished.
Bella thought deeply for a moment as if summoning up something major "Is this.......special?" she finally said.
There it was, the million dollar question, he knew it was coming but it still made him nervous. 'How could he get serious with someone when he might be dead tomorrow?' was one thought. 'But isn't that exactly why it should be serious?' was another.
"This means the world to me Bella. I've never felt this way about anyone before." he finally said.
Bella smiled "That's exactly how I feel. There was a guy at school. Then a guy down the block from me when I was in my first job, he was older than me and had a good job, but it was nothing, a couple of dates and then I learned I was just one of several he had on the go." responded Bella.
"Since coming here, I get looks and sometimes wolf whistles, but no-one has ever made me feel like this. This is very special to me." finished Bella.
The pair embraced and held each other for an age, nothing else, just holding each other.
Eventually Andy realised he'd have to go very soon. They packed up and returned to Bella's apartment.
"Stay safe sweetheart. I know the risks you're taking and I get it, but please......come back to me." said Bella with great emotion.
"I'll do my best beautiful, I've every intention of coming out of this. I need you to get rest though, they're working you hard. I will come back for you. Whenever I get the chance. I promise." replied Andy.
The pair shared a final long embrace, Andy finally kissed Bella warmly on the forehead and they parted.
Just at that moment the rain started pouring again. Andy went to the hotel, grabbed his gear and met Captain Bridgeman in the foyer. "Ready to go tiger?" said Bridgeman.
Andy nodded and the pair climbed into the waiting car and headed back to the airfield.
"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
Albert, it’s always more difficult to get at the enemy when the rest of your own flight is in the way and since everyone wants a piece of that SPAD it gets dangerous. Yup, I can imagine them reminiscing: “- Remember that time all the Bréguets went after Klaus and we just stayed above and watched? Those were good times!” As for Andy, yes there’s the weather to deal with, all it takes is one good mission to make it up though. Now onto the day’s events, or evening’s to be more precise: Andy, you dog! Well done, making the girl ask you. It looks like he’s got her hooked and now is reeling her in. She probably is thinking the same thing. That is probably the best confirmed claim of his career. And here we go again - 62% claim ratio. The Germans are definitely getting screwed. Got to remember that for my next career.
So, a new medal. This time a pretty L d’H. Congrats on this latest cabbage. Good thing that Hispano engine is this powerful to haul all those medals along with Andy. And finally on to today’s events. A very pleasant way of waking up with that soft pillow. Murphy is already longing for home comforts. A girl on his arm for the rest of the day seals the deal. Then, the declaration of feelings for each other, but the long way around. They are still not sure if this is love. Perhaps next visit? For now, it’s back to killing the enemy. The weather is improving after all.
Epower, poor Red Leader and his future looked so bright especially when it went out in a great ball of fire. Rather an obscure reference, especially when compared to his other quote about something not going in and only impacting on the surface. It was a veritable tragedy. And speaking of tragedies (Greek in this case) keeping both women in the dark will end badly, that’s as sure as a Trojan getting into the most guarded place. I wish I could sympathize with Oliver’s plight against the two-seaters, but I’ll take any German two-seater when compared to those French crazies. You should try it sometime. Totally different experience. So, Oliver had his way and released himself from the clinical clutches of the quacks, then is warmly welcomed by the Huns on the 24th. He was this close to going back to hospital if not worse. The news continues to be unpleasant with the losses mounting, the new men struggling to make up for the casualties. Winningstad gets to finally fly but can see it for himself he is not in top form. Must work on it, Oliver. Bring it up to par, but slowly. Don’t rush. That’s a lovely pic of the green tail. Pity it had to go, but congrats on getting it confirmed. And then Oliver gets to pickle in petrol. Twice! That Blighty is starting to look better and better, but that boat has sailed by now. Now, what about those headaches? They seem to have suddenly stopped, same way they’ve started. Intriguing.
1 October, 1918 Montingen, Verdun Sector Jasta 18 Rittmeister Klaus Gustav Raben RAO AO PLM HHO EK1 EK2 Fokker D.VII 137 confirmed kills
No flying. Bad weather.
"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys, The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain, From out of my arse take the camshaft, And assemble the engine again."
2 October, 1918 13:10 Montingen, Verdun Sector Jasta 18 Rittmeister Klaus Gustav Raben RAO AO PLM HHO EK1 EK2 Fokker D.VII 137 confirmed kills
The rain finally cleared off and operations could resume in the afternoon. The order of the day was to patrol over friendly troop base north of Flirey. The conditions were perfect. Clear skies but nothing to shoot at. Jasta returned to base empty handed.
"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys, The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain, From out of my arse take the camshaft, And assemble the engine again."
Fullofit - The weather finally clears for Klaus but nobody is playing out it seems. Let's see what tomorrow brings. His Jasta mates owe him their lives on countless occasions but they won't change their 'tactics' anytime soon. As for Andy, it's been a memorable couple of days. Putting this one behind him is going to be even more difficult than last time, but he'll have to, otherwise he's going to get a roasted behind.
"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."