SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Hop To
Page 85 of 122 1 2 … 83 84 85 86 87 … 121 122
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 585
P
I am just a cowboy
Member
I am just a cowboy
Member
P Offline
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 585

Last edited by Phoenix54C; 08/03/21 01:10 AM.
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 12,571
Likes: 2
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 12,571
Likes: 2
Not my usual Friday jams...I keep taking a break from what I'm doing to go down yet another YT musical rabbit hole...

Reminds me of the Ursa chick in Superman II...

Pat Benatar Hell Is For Children 1980 France


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8wtm5ZNbu0

++++++++++

I wonder why so many 70's to early-80's music videos are the studio versions of songs synced with concert or live footage? My guesses are:

1. Money. I assume it was expensive to get a quality live recording in those days.
2. Acceptance. We didn't mind so much since no one doubted that the artist could pull it off live. Plus, the audio and video on an old tube TV (even the 'big' wooden cabinet console sets) left much to be desired, detail wasted.
3. Music videos made prior to 1981 were for what audience? I don't remember how we even saw them. MTV didn't air until August 1981, and even then cable wasn't popular until the mid-80's.


In any case, as with the first video, it's always nice to see a good live performance...

PAT BENATAR - We Live For Love - live - best performance - HQ.mpg


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNT8XkVoOKE



The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,034
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,034
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by MarkG


++++++++++


3. Music videos made prior to 1981 were for what audience? I don't remember how we even saw them. MTV didn't air until August 1981, and even then cable wasn't popular until the mid-80's.




This is just one example but the music videos that the Beatles made for songs like "Strawberry Fields Forever", "Penny Lane" and "Paperback Writer" were shown on TV.


I get what you mean though concerning the US. I honestly don't recall seeing music videos of any kind on TV before MTV came around in 1981.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 12,571
Likes: 2
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 12,571
Likes: 2
Yeah, I don't remember a music video program on any of the network stations. You might catch a favorite band on Midnight Special. There was also Soul Train and American Bandstand, then came Solid Gold and another one of those shows I don't recall. Also SNL for a 2-song performance. EDIT: But this wasn't music videos.

I also remember an FM radio station playing a Rock album in its entirety every Friday night. My best memory, on my parent's old stereo console, was hearing Eagles' The Long Run. Songs like the less popular "In the City" and "Those Shoes" really got my attention. I thought the whole album was good.

I enjoyed listening to replays of Casey Kasem's American Top 40 when I had XM radio in my car.

Last edited by MarkG; 08/06/21 02:45 PM.


The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,034
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,034
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by MarkG
My best memory, on my parent's old stereo console, was hearing Eagles' The Long Run. Songs like the less popular "In the City" and "Those Shoes" really got my attention. I thought the whole album was good.

.


I got curious and looked up the track list and yeah, I only know the big 3 hits from that album (The Long Run, I Can't Tell You Why and Heartache Tonight).


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 12,571
Likes: 2
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 12,571
Likes: 2
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by MarkG
My best memory, on my parent's old stereo console, was hearing Eagles' The Long Run. Songs like the less popular "In the City" and "Those Shoes" really got my attention. I thought the whole album was good.


I got curious and looked up the track list and yeah, I only know the big 3 hits from that album (The Long Run, I Can't Tell You Why and Heartache Tonight).


Then with that, I'm going to end my Friday selections with something sexy, as it should be... yep

Those Shoes (2013 Remaster)


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-2BMyZXK5o



The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,525
Likes: 2
L
Hotshot
Hotshot
L Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,525
Likes: 2
I remember back in the 1980's a local FM station (WRIF 101 FM) here in Detroit used to run "Simulcast' concerts on local bands. The radio station would sync up with a local television broadcast (WKBD Channel 50 Detroit) to show live local bands in concert. It was a novel concept at the time. I used to love them. Here's an example (notice the simulcast graphic at beginning of song). I was actually at this concert at the Ritz.. It was one of my favorite local bands.



Here is the same band years later playing locally again. Big difference in recording quality. lol.



Last edited by LB4LB; 08/06/21 06:14 PM.
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 12,571
Likes: 2
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 12,571
Likes: 2
^ What a fantastic idea, as just about any ordinary FM stereo would still have sounded much better than TV sound, and many had hi-fi FM. The proper names for you young folks is tuner (AM/FM stereo) or (power amp + pre-amp + tuner, integrated in one box = receiver)!

Chad Smith before the 'Peppers, must have been cool. cool



The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 2,213
Likes: 40
W
Member
Member
W Online: Content
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 2,213
Likes: 40
So I am old enough ...

.


“We are still in the age of legends. You and I will not enter the promised land. We who have begun always perish before Jericho falls.”
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,525
Likes: 2
L
Hotshot
Hotshot
L Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,525
Likes: 2
More good local stuff from Detroit FM radio circa 1981. Notice the mullets in full display. This song was a huge local hit, with major airplay. They never made it to the big time though.


Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,735
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,735


Van the Man and a great Band


"I'm a hundred miles away son, ready to strike"

GPL Racing: Average Drivers Club

SimHQ Motorsports: SimHQ Motorsports

EVGA Z170 Classified K MB, Intel i7-6700K CPU, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 GPU, EVGA 850 G3 PSU, Bitfenix Dawn TG Case, Windows 10,
32gb T-Force Delta RGB DDR4 3600MHz Memory, 500gb WD Black SN750 NVMe Boot Drive


Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 585
P
I am just a cowboy
Member
I am just a cowboy
Member
P Offline
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 585
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jEUq3hEjus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhMmBlL81nw

For Nanny...



Nothing will ever try to kill my nanny again..

Covid can kiss my ass...

wooty woot woot.

Last edited by Phoenix54C; 08/21/21 02:00 AM.
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,525
Likes: 2
L
Hotshot
Hotshot
L Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,525
Likes: 2
How about some more obscure 1980's stuff, this time with Adrian Belew.




Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 585
P
I am just a cowboy
Member
I am just a cowboy
Member
P Offline
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 585

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 12,571
Likes: 2
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 12,571
Likes: 2
<My online break shall be short lived while prepping for possible weather, so I might as well post my Friday picks tonight...in honor of a couple of musicians who passed away recently.>

I'll probably never post a 'bedroom playlist,' but if I did, these two songs would make my top 10 (the 'Stones in my top 3)...

ZZ Top: "I Need You Tonight"


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSktszkmwpI


Beast Of Burden (Remastered 1994)


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlV-ZFyVH3c

If your "Beast Of Burden" is under 4 min. (i.e. Forty Licks: 3:28), get a proper version!



The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 12,571
Likes: 2
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 12,571
Likes: 2
Heart is another band my wife and I had in common in our high school years. One of her all-time favorites...

HEART - Dog & Butterfly


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K9xhFtUtHc


...and one of mine...

Heart crazy on you


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVcl0Iw3fs8

I regret never seeing the Wilson sisters live.



The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 11,292
Likes: 16
S
Veteran
Veteran
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 11,292
Likes: 16
Alison Krauss surely has to be the closest we will ever get to hearing an actual angel sing on Earth. What a voice!



In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 585
P
I am just a cowboy
Member
I am just a cowboy
Member
P Offline
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 585

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 12,571
Likes: 2
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 12,571
Likes: 2
Tonight I'm tuning out the world with girly cocktails and upbeat classics from 1978...

Atlanta Rhythm Section I'm Not Gonna Let It Bother Me Tonight on Vinyl with Lyrics in Description


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ptItUeEpr4


Boston - Don't Look Back (HQ)


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmU4Xyl00hY


Styx - Blue Collar Man


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xArmqniFiJ8


[Foreigner] Hot Blooded


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug1qRiLUwac


...then I'm going to chill (stickin' with '78 <- bad pun wink )...

Olivia Newton-John - Hopelessly Devoted to You (HD)


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhOn4oPn3Bw


Exile - kiss you all over


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GymGszRFN8

...along with "Beast Of Burden" (recently posted) and soooo many more.


1978...world needs more music like this, including Disco to help stay slim/thin. smile

A Taste of Honey - Boogie Oogie Oogie - Live (1978) [Restored]


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6ZWvDnkRCM



The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,034
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,034
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by MarkG

A Taste of Honey - Boogie Oogie Oogie - Live (1978) [Restored]




Heh, quite different from this "A Taste of Honey" which I'm much more familiar with:








Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 09/03/21 02:50 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Page 85 of 122 1 2 … 83 84 85 86 87 … 121 122

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,077,481 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1