SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Hop To
Page 232 of 442 1 2 … 230 231 232 233 234 … 441 442
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by semmern
[q
I love The Last Samurai, although that is a movie that just shouldn’t work. It ended up working really well, although thanks also go to Ken Watanabe, he gave the performance of his life in that movie, IMO.


It was also directed by Edward Zwick who also did a fantastic job with "Glory" which is a film where Denzel won his first Oscar.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 12,571
Likes: 2
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 12,571
Likes: 2
Wife has me watching TV again with a series she recorded called "The Food That Built America" on History Channel. I honestly didn't know there still was a History Channel. Really good series.



The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,976
Likes: 3
W
Far Out, Solid & Right On
Hotshot
Far Out, Solid & Right On
Hotshot
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,976
Likes: 3
Just started the second season of Fleabag on Prime. Dark sort of twisted comedy. First season was good. 25 min episodes, 6 per season.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by MarkG
Wife has me watching TV again with a series she recorded called "The Food That Built America" on History Channel. I honestly didn't know there still was a History Channel. Really good series.



Was it mentioned in the series that the cost of food was roughly between 40-50% of the wages of the average American worker during the 1800's and well into the early 1900's? That helps explain a lot why obesity was so much rarer back then.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
I saw two movies this weekend:

1) "Bloodshot" - I don't know why I bothered to watch this... I suppose I thought, "sci fi" so I gave it a try. Well, if it weren't for the "twist" in the middle, it would have been retarded from the start, but I literally slept through half this movie. I fell asleep, twice, because it took two sittings to watch, and I slept both times. The action was meaningless, paint by numbers from point A to point B. We knew the bad guy was going to die, we knew the good guy would have his revenge, we knew that the ending would be happy and there'd be a sequel. There was simply no point, whatsoever, to any of the excessive action. It accomplished nothing. It was a ridiculous exercise in explosion porn for the sake of special effects and CGI. Boring as hell movie, with a somewhat interesting premise--and that premise alone leads me to not bury this movie. I realize there are folks out there who may like this type of film. I should rate it a half star lower than I am about to. ** out of ****

2) "After We Leave" - An independent sci-fi movie that was the exact opposite of Bloodshot. There's very little to no action in this at all. Plenty of dialogue, interactions with characters, and a strange premise that builds through the film. I did not fall asleep once, was interested in the characters and conversations and the outcome. There are folks here that might loathe a film like this--"Too slow!" "Pointless!" I can hear the cries. Well, I think action for the sake of action is pointless. I liked this movie, but alas, I have to call it for what it is--a good, but not great movie, but the length was appropriate. There were some nice character dynamics going on here, and perhaps with some greater depth and dimensionality to the characters and relationships, might have pushed it a half star higher. Good effort, nice lazy evening movie. ** 1/2 out of ****.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 02/16/21 06:41 PM.
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
I saw two movies this weekend:

1) "Bloodshot" - I don't know why I bothered to watch this... I suppose I thought, "sci fi" so I gave it a try. Well, if it weren't for the "twist" in the middle, it would have been retarded from the start, but I literally slept through half this movie. I fell asleep, twice, because it took two sittings to watch, and I slept both times. The action was meaningless, paint by numbers from point A to point B. We knew the bad guy was going to die, we knew the good guy would have his revenge, we knew that the ending would be happy and there'd be a sequel. There was simply no point, whatsoever, to any of the excessive action. It accomplished nothing. It was a ridiculous exercise in explosion porn for the sake of special effects and CGI. Boring as hell movie, with a somewhat interesting premise--and that premise alone leads me to not bury this movie. I realize there are folks out there who may like this type of film. I should rate it a half star lower than I am about to. ** out of ****




Vin Diesel was in this one right?

The only scifi he's done that I like is Pitch Black and Chronicles of Riddick. The last Riddick film was pretty forgettable and even Katee Sackhoff couldn't save it.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 02/16/21 06:52 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,464
Likes: 18
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,464
Likes: 18
Netflix in the US now has Last of the Mohicans and Master and Commander.
I watched both of them this week. Both are excellent movies and well worth a watch or rewatch for those that have seen them.

Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 10,845
J
Veteran
Veteran
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 10,845
Released today on Netflix. Just binge watched the "Tribes of Europa" 2087. In German with English subtitles.

Not bad, but ending leaves you hanging.


Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,327
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,327
Likes: 19
Originally Posted by MarkG
Wife has me watching TV again with a series she recorded called "The Food That Built America" on History Channel. I honestly didn't know there still was a History Channel. Really good series.


Yes it is. I watch the first season last year. McDonald's, Heinz, Hershey, Coca Cola started by a chemist, M&M (Mars is a person name), Birdseye, KFC Colonel, Post cereal (a woman multi billionaire in 1920s, the company is now General Foods https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marjorie_Merriweather_Post, she bought Birdseye!), Kellogg, they are all name after people, people who change the way America and the world eats. I watch season 2 first episode about Pizza Hut and Domino's Pizza. College kids started those companies when they needed to make money for tuition.

Heinz began as looking for a sauce to make meat easier to eat. Back then meat sold at open market were mostly spoiled and not good quality. No USDA grade at time. People bought whatever they could get and put sauces on them to make meat that was spoiled taste better.

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 12,571
Likes: 2
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 12,571
Likes: 2
^ That's it. First time watching for me, looking forward to tomorrow night's episode, the beginning of Burger King.



The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by wormfood
Netflix in the US now has Last of the Mohicans and Master and Commander.
I watched both of them this week. Both are excellent movies and well worth a watch or rewatch for those that have seen them.


Both of them are excellent indeed and while there have been multiple film adaptations of the James Fennimore Cooper classic novel, the one by Michael Mann is in a class by itself.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by MarkG
^ That's it. First time watching for me, looking forward to tomorrow night's episode, the beginning of Burger King.



Burger King originated in my home town of Miami!


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 12,571
Likes: 2
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 12,571
Likes: 2
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by MarkG
^ That's it. First time watching for me, looking forward to tomorrow night's episode, the beginning of Burger King.


Burger King originated in my home town of Miami!


"Cooked dolphin meat has a flavor very similar to beef liver." I bet that's the key to BK's unique flavor. biggrin



The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,976
Likes: 3
W
Far Out, Solid & Right On
Hotshot
Far Out, Solid & Right On
Hotshot
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,976
Likes: 3
3 episodes in to Your Honor starring Brian Cranston. Great so far. Man that guy can act.

Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,327
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,327
Likes: 19
During our hotel stay, we watch ton of Friends and 2 Broke Girls and NCIS Los Angeles. Stations had them on day and night.

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 297
Likes: 8
Member
Member
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 297
Likes: 8
Fur Hat Ice Tour - free on YouTube, I stumbled upon this MeatEater spin-off while looking to see what Steven Rinella is up to (btw MeatEater season 9 part 2 just got released on Netflix). Very relaxing show, loved it, I watched all 7 episodes (~20 mins each) yesterday.
I had no clue you could spearfish on ice.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrwvK9BVMF2e5Tve7vpnR4ePOEGC-79MG

LE: trailer:

Last edited by D13th_Korn; 02/21/21 10:36 AM.
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,327
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,327
Likes: 19
watching this now D-DAY: WINGS OF VICTORY

https://curiositystream.com/video/4076

https://www.autentic-distribution.com/65/pid/1114/D-Day:-Wings-of-Victory-.htm

In 1944 in Western Europe, the stage is set for the largest, most ambitious aerial offensive in history. On the night of June 6th, 4,000 aircrafts took off from England in just a few seconds. Never before had so many planes and gliders been mobilised towards one destination: Normandy. This offensive was prepared in the strictest secrecy over two years by British and American forces, in order to free the World from Nazi barbarism. Thanks to the work of historians, we follow the Normandy landings from an aerial perspective for the first time. We discover what went on behind the scenes of this historical air battle, for example in one of the most secret bunkers of the Second World War in Uxbridge, and meet its most emblematic heroes. We get a birds-eye view, boarding a Second World War liaison aircraft to relive, with the help of the pilot, one of the first aerial attacks of that historic night. See how, on D-Day, the Allies flew 11,000 sorties whilst the Germans flew 300, in a battle that would pave the way to Victory.

Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,327
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,327
Likes: 19
Continue watching ^^^ French documentary - I learn new thing just now

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,976
Likes: 3
W
Far Out, Solid & Right On
Hotshot
Far Out, Solid & Right On
Hotshot
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,976
Likes: 3
Originally Posted by WangoTango
3 episodes in to Your Honor starring Bryan Cranston. Great so far. Man that guy can act.

I finished Your Honor on Showcase, starring Bryan Cranston. If you like suspenseful dramas I would recommend it.
I need to binge something funny now.

Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,327
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,327
Likes: 19
https://www.natgeotv.com/za/shows/natgeo/the-new-air-force-one-flying-fortress

show two 747 from the movaje desert plane yard being transformed into the new Air Force One

Page 232 of 442 1 2 … 230 231 232 233 234 … 441 442

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,077,904 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1