|
|
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,026 Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
|
|
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,026 Likes: 66 |
So I'll ask this question,
If the release version supposedly is full of bugs then what was the purpose of the multiple release delays?
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,099 Likes: 81
Strategerizer Veteran
|
|
Strategerizer Veteran
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,099 Likes: 81 |
Console performance, specifically the X Box from what I've heard, is what the latest delay was about.
I bought the game, preloaded it. Going to buy it anyway and may as well get whatever pre-order trinkets are included. Now I'm at this weird place where I want to play it, and I want to wait to let it get as good as it can get.
To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the boundary of disaster — Stirling Moss
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,026 Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
|
|
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,026 Likes: 66 |
Now I'm at this weird place where I want to play it, and I want to wait to let it get as good as it can get. Same here. There's also the concern as Crane Hunter mentioned that a subsequent major patch breaks any current save games. That HAS happened with many other games so it's not a rare occurrence.
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,464 Likes: 18
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,464 Likes: 18 |
The AI in FEAR had two things going for it: 1) It wasn't an open world. This makes it much easier. 2) The level design guys worked hand in hand with the AI guys to make sure it all worked. These days they're liable to be working in different studios thousands of miles away and working on their parts separately.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 9,760 Likes: 3
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade Hotshot
|
|
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade Hotshot
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 9,760 Likes: 3 |
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,026 Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
|
|
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,026 Likes: 66 |
Well, both Total War: Rome 2 and Fallout 76 were disasters on release day but both were eventually fixed so I'm hopeful that will be the case with Cyberpunk.
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,368 Likes: 19
Veteran
|
|
Veteran
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,368 Likes: 19 |
It's the top streaming game on Twitch TV right now by a huge margin.
I'm holding back for now.
If you watch Jaws backwards, it's a heart warming story about a shark that spits out so many people that they have to open a beach.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 9,760 Likes: 3
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade Hotshot
|
|
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade Hotshot
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 9,760 Likes: 3 |
It's the top streaming game on Twitch TV right now by a huge margin.
I'm holding back for now. its an event they started 2 hours ago, all streamers got early acess key.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,099 Likes: 81
Strategerizer Veteran
|
|
Strategerizer Veteran
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,099 Likes: 81 |
From what I've read, and I've read a number of reviews now, I must say it is looking like my expectations for Cyberpunk were too high. My assessment of what I've read is that Cyberpunk is a good game, maybe even great, with some very amazing parts to it, but it's brought down because it doesn't really advance the standard. I was hoping we would see a transcendent game here, something that brought a new paradigm, that altered the way we think of, or approach, video gaming.
I'm disappointed by the reported state of the game, but not too put out because I know the technical missteps will be corrected, and honestly with the scale here, I expected it. Maybe not so much of it after so many delays. But it's normal I think. It's more the vibe I get where the game is not evolutionary in the way I expected. I do expect to have fun with it and I think I will like it. But I wanted something that didn't just move the needle but blew it up. I don't think Cyberpunk is that game.
But we live in a different time now. It used to be that a game was released, and there'd be a few patches, but what you were playing a year on was still the same thing you had at release. But now, games transform. Over time the technical issues are dealt with of course, but through patches and DLC the experience is enhanced, expanded and becomes something greater. Maybe we will see this from Cyberpunk too.
So I am left with a dilemma. I have the game loaded. And I want to play it. I want to experience it for myself. Countless times in my gaming history I read negatives and criticism, then played it myself and loved it. I often joke I have much better luck with games than the others playing the same thing. Sure seems that way if I compare general satisfaction levels haha. But I also want it to make a mark, to impress me, to draw me in. The chances of this increase the longer I wait to kick it off.
What to do? It's common in RPGs especially, that I reroll a start after a few hours. Get in, experiment, get a feel for the lay of the land so to speak, and then start anew with all I've learned. This time, maybe that reroll comes four months down the line instead.
If I do start it tomorrow I will be sure to share what I think with you guys after I have some time in.
To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the boundary of disaster — Stirling Moss
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,026 Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
|
|
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,026 Likes: 66 |
I was hoping we would see a transcendent game here, something that brought a new paradigm, that altered the way we think of, or approach, video gaming.
I'm not a game designer or developer but can you provide any specifics on how this game could have been a paradigm shift and hence something that we have never seen in any other RPG released within the past 20 years? From my own personal experience after having played both Knights of the Old Republic RPG's, all three Witcher RPG's, Fallout New Vegas, Fallout 4, Fallout 76, the last two Deus Ex RPG's and Skyrim I just don't see how any new RPG can rewrite the book on the genre. I think pretty much everything that can be done has been done.
Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 12/09/20 02:46 PM.
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,464 Likes: 18
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,464 Likes: 18 |
Everybody also forgets that on initial release The Witcher 3 was also a bit of a bug riddled mess. Most reviews I've read haven't been helpful so I'll just give it a try tonight and see how it goes.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,099 Likes: 81
Strategerizer Veteran
|
|
Strategerizer Veteran
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,099 Likes: 81 |
I think pretty much everything that can be done has been done. I don't see it that way and there is plenty of room to do new things. Games like Half-Life, Deus Ex, Fallout 3 and Witcher 3 were this type of game, ones that shifted my expectations of what a video game could be. Specifically, my unbridled expectations for Cyberpunk revolved around interactivity, with the world and especially characters. I envisioned deep characters with a twisted, convoluted, intertwined relationship, with tendrils that reached out through the game. There does seem to be some of this according to the reviews. I expected a city unlike we've seen before, and while I think it is, it lacks the emergent, spontaneous story-generation that I thought we'd see. A recurrent theme in the reviews is how much of the world is like props, or window dressing. I expected this to be more fleshed out. A story on every corner, where the places you went and the people you approached were more capable of becoming an experience in themselves. A city that felt alive not just because of the sights and sounds, but because of how real it and organic it is, how any NPC could be a new arc. It seems to lack the free-form I thought it would have and instead seems to be a game where CDPR has already prepared what you will do. In essence, I saw a new level of systems and character interaction all woven together in ways we had never seen. And then beyond that, my expectations were colored by how much faith I have in CDPR based on the Witcher games. I expected the unexpected, trusting CDPR to use this new vehicle to bring us gameplay outside our box. In many ways, the game feels 'safe', when perhaps I expected more of new edge, of things I could not think of. Things the creative minds behind it were capable of thinking of that I never would have. To be fair, this is all coming from reviews. I've read about twenty I'd guess. It helps to form an impression, but only getting in there and seeing for myself will mean anything. It takes a good deal of time in a game for the novelty and wow to wear off and the true underlying mechanics to reveal themselves. So the real test will be to see how I feel about it 30 hours in.
To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the boundary of disaster — Stirling Moss
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 9,573 Likes: 11
Hotshot
|
|
Hotshot
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 9,573 Likes: 11 |
As noted, I had it on preorder but cancelled until I get one of the new AMD GPUs.
Meantime, I'll be interested to read "first impressions" in this thread.
Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 24"P (180hz/1080p) + Samsung 32" Odyssey Neo G7 4K 1000R Curved (165Hz/4K/2160p) + 24"P (180hz/1080p), AMD R9-9950X, 64GB [email protected], GIGABYTE X870E AORUS Master MB, ( 4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~58TB storage, 1300W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, EVGA X20 Mouse, W11 Pro
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010 Likes: 47
Veteran
|
|
Veteran
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010 Likes: 47 |
The lack of emergent gameplay is a huge turnoff for me. I've only ever been able to tolerate GTA games for so long, in small doses, before the facade crumbles, and this sounds like no exception.
What I am hoping for the most, though, is a texture mod to remove all the ink from NPC skin, especially the female characters. Any ink, even the smallest amount, makes me cringe. Yes, I am a prude.
Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 12/09/20 04:14 PM.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,026 Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
|
|
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,026 Likes: 66 |
Meantime, I'll be interested to read "first impressions" in this thread.
I most certainly will post my first impression article here after I've put about 25 hours into the game. I'm preloading the game as I type this post. 
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,099 Likes: 81
Strategerizer Veteran
|
|
Strategerizer Veteran
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,099 Likes: 81 |
Meantime, I'll be interested to read "first impressions" in this thread.
I'll offer mine for certain, but yet to know when I will start. After work tomorrow I'm sure haha. I think whoever offers the first report in-game should start a new thread, so that anyone looking for that won't need to wade through a half-dozen pages of our pre-release speculation.
To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the boundary of disaster — Stirling Moss
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 12,417 Likes: 12
Veteran
|
|
Veteran
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 12,417 Likes: 12 |
I think CDPR would need to produce a sequel or two before they have sufficient familiarity with the material, player feedback and the hardware necessary for a Cyberpunk game to begin to live up to the kind of hype that was built up for 2077.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 9,760 Likes: 3
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade Hotshot
|
|
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade Hotshot
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 9,760 Likes: 3 |
I think CDPR would need to produce a sequel or two before they have sufficient familiarity with the material, player feedback and the hardware necessary for a Cyberpunk game to begin to live up to the kind of hype that was built up for 2077.
what they need is make their own ip, all their games were based on work where the background was already layed out for them. Lets see if they have what it takes to actually make a game. and wth is emergent gameplay ? there are walkthrough all over youtube by now, just forget streamers, those guys cant play for #%&*$# and talke too much.. i recoment MKIceAndFire
Last edited by Blade_RJ; 12/09/20 06:26 PM.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,099 Likes: 81
Strategerizer Veteran
|
|
Strategerizer Veteran
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 16,099 Likes: 81 |
wth is emergent gameplay ?
Depends on who you ask. For me it means 'content' that is unintended, unscripted, and borne from my own imagination from in-game events and systems. As a very simple example of what I mean, consider a given moment in GTA. I'm walking down the street minding my own business looking for something to do. Suddenly a car rips past with the long arm of the law hot on his heels. And that could be it. A vignette in that moment. But what if instead I decide to steal this car right here and take off in pursuit of that cop car? I might decide to take out the cops to help the criminal get away. or maybe I pit maneuver the bad guy, and the cops get him. Maybe I do that but then open fire on everyone involved. Maybe I just follow along to see what happens, and watch the inevitable shootout on some random street corner, picking up the cash the perp drops and then skedaddle on my way. This is a basic example of what I mean when I use that term. Gameplay that emerges from the normal state of the game, but which was unintended.
To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the boundary of disaster — Stirling Moss
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
|
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
|
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
|
|
|
|