SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,581
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,581
This is so bad it doesn’t seem like just the usual type of ad. More like some malware on the server. On my ipad, it covers a third of the screen just reading, but when posting, it almost completely covers the text box. Might want to address this before people start getting really freaked out and start thinking there are privacy issues at stake somehow.


·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 5,503
P
Hotshot
Hotshot
P Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 5,503
It's really a royal pain in the ass!


"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 25,177
Likes: 2
R
Lifer
Lifer
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 25,177
Likes: 2
It's a major annoyance, and the lack of reaction from management is a bit sad to be honest.

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,368
Likes: 19
C
Veteran
Veteran
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,368
Likes: 19
As much as I love coming here and would try to support SimHQ,it's an ad-blocker all the way for me on every site I visit.

Maybe consider a donation link although I'm sure this has been discussed before.


If you watch Jaws backwards, it's a heart warming story about a shark that spits out so many people that they have to open a beach.
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,910
Member
Member
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,910
Not able to read anything on my old gen iPAD air, any Apple app to remove that irritating popup thing?

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,581
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,581
On my ipad I had to switch to firefox. It seems to take care of it since the ads on chrome were taking up the bulk of the screen, making reading much less posting impossible.


·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 27,044
Likes: 26
W
Lifer
Lifer
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 27,044
Likes: 26
Originally Posted by Chucky
As much as I love coming here and would try to support SimHQ,it's an ad-blocker all the way for me on every site I visit.

Maybe consider a donation link although I'm sure this has been discussed before.

I could have sworn that there was one on the Homepage at one time? Definitely can not find it now though.


Wheels


Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,656
Likes: 1
T
Senior Member
Senior Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,656
Likes: 1
It is very sad to see what simhq has become. I have all respect for the current moderators for their good work here but who is in charge here?
Even in my laptop sometimes is very difficult to browse the different sub forums. Very often it's an awful experience.
I consider myself a recent user here but I miss guod.
Again, thank you to all the moderators working everyday in simhq forum.

Cheers

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,296
M
Crazy Courier
Senior Member
Crazy Courier
Senior Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,296
In the last couple of days infolinks seem to have stepped up the annoyance level 10 fold.

As well as the oversized add bar at the bottom of every post now sometimes when I click on a post I get a full page add instead of the post and have to click back and try again.

I would be fine with a donation system here if it would help to get rid of this BS. I already donate at The Sim-Outhouse so throwing SimHQ a few quid every year too is cool with me.


Asus Maximus XI Hero
i9-9900K
32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
Corsair H115i
Corsair RM850X PSU
Phanteks Evolv X
Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
Win 10
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,910
Member
Member
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,910
I was a bit sick of all that repeating ads banners every time blocking 50% of my ipad screen, did even leave this forum. For the cure, I went at the Apple appstore and got a free add blocker, now all the ads are gone, I can type in normally without any ad notification from SimHQ.
Yes I know this site needs ads to bring in the money and they are now all gone, while I do not have any problems normally with ads, but with that constant repeating ads you do not have any choice then to use the add blocker. Good decision SimHQ now also the non pestering ads are gone.

Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 11,234
L
Veteran
Veteran
L Offline
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 11,234
Just chiming in here as well to complain about how obnoxious the ads are here in the forums. I don't bother anymore with trying to browse the site on my phone.

Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 11,274
USMC
Veteran
USMC
Veteran
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 11,274
Originally Posted by LukeFF
Just chiming in here as well to complain about how obnoxious the ads are here in the forums. I don't bother anymore with trying to browse the site on my phone.


Hell, I barely browse here at all any more due to them. Even on my 43" monitor they are annoying.


Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.


Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 25,177
Likes: 2
R
Lifer
Lifer
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 25,177
Likes: 2
The ads on the top right now overlay important parts of the navigation.

Makes the site properly unusable.

20 years SimHQ membership and donated quite a few times... this might just end it.

Joined: Dec 1999
Posts: 6,779
E
XBL: LanceHawkins
Hotshot
XBL: LanceHawkins
Hotshot
E Offline
Joined: Dec 1999
Posts: 6,779
Is anyone actually actively running the site anymore? Or is it just going on inertia?

I'm >< from quitting as well, mainly due to the god #%&*$# ads.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by EAF331 MadDog
Is anyone actually actively running the site anymore?

.



It doesn't seem like it. I haven't seen a post from the owner in over 2 years.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,495
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,495
The site is registered until November 4, 2021. Presumably somebody just renewed it last week. These ads are annoying AF. Since there is no content on the front page to get click throughs, I guess he's forced to put all the advertising on the forums.

If you feel motivated to look up the internet registry at the following site, you can find out a PO Box number, if you want to send him snail mail.

https://lookup.icann.org/lookup


He does pay for the Teamspeak server and the ARMA server, so anybody that's used the Teamspeak should appreciate that, while wading through the ads.

Ironically, in the "About Us" page, there is no mention of the site owner. Still lists guod as the owner.

Last edited by saghen; 11/12/20 02:25 AM.
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 11,234
L
Veteran
Veteran
L Offline
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 11,234
The fact that the front page news hasn't been updated since July 2017 should tell everyone how much the owner cares about this place.


Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,070,839 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1