SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Hop To
Page 204 of 442 1 2 … 202 203 204 205 206 … 441 442
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by Chucky
NoFlyBoy, I would really like to know your age. How about it? I'll go first. I'm 61 this Friday.



I'll be 48 in October so I'm not THAT far behind you. I'm still old enough to remember Maggie quite fondly. biggrin


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
I saw two movies this weekend:

1) "Death Wish" (Bruce Willis remake): Refreshing to see a movie with a conservative slant that completely rejects liberal silliness, albeit predictable paint by numbers plot. Bruce Willis has lost his ability to act, and wasn't believable at times. Normally I would give it a 2 out of 4 stars, but because they stayed true to focus without injecting modern "anti-values," 2.5 stars out of 4. Charles Bronson was far more intimidating.

2) "Juliet, Naked" This was one of those random movies I stumbled across that I figured, "what the hell." Most here remember the days where all we had was a television set, and unless we wanted to drive down to the local video store(this was before Blockbuster Video), we had to watch whatever movie showed up on TV. I love to randomly "pretend" to be back in those times, thus forcing myself to watch stuff that I might not otherwise because it "just showed up on TV." This is one of those movies. No previews, nothing, other than the premise that it was some sort of unique romance movie. I didn't space out once, and enjoyed the meandering journey and quirky situations throughout. Although it wasn't quite Woody Allen caliber, or Wes Anderson level quirkiness, the film was enjoyable nonetheless and I recommend, if you're looking for something in the romantic comedy drama genre. 3 stars out of 4.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 09/08/20 02:28 PM.
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman


1) "Death Wish" (Bruce Willis remake): Refreshing to see a movie with a conservative slant that completely rejects liberal silliness, albeit predictable paint by numbers plot. Bruce Willis has lost his ability to act, and wasn't believable at times. Normally I would give it a 2 out of 4 stars, but because they stayed true to focus without injecting modern "anti-values," 2.5 stars out of 4. Charles Bronson was far more intimidating.





Some remakes have been well done but this one firmly goes under the "why bother?" category. There was really zero valid reason to remake "Death Wish". The remakes for both "Robocop" and "Total Recall" also fall in this category in my opinion.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
Well, I agree. The main reason I watched was because I wanted to see an action movie that was dark and gritty without the modern "has to be a constant non-stop theme park ride of action." Frankly, I enjoy slowly developing plots with occasional spurts of action. I don't want an action movie to fee like I'm running a marathon, yet for some reason that is what the general public is lead to believe that they need to watch.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
yet for some reason that is what the general public is lead to believe that they need to watch.



The convenient thing with almost all film studios is that their motive is predictable. They look at the box office numbers to see what sells and what doesn’t sell and then base their future film projects on that. Why aren’t that many low action, high dialogue crime films released to movie theaters? Quite simply because their track record shows they don’t make as much money as the high action, low dialogue crime films.

At the same time though, more and more people are ditching the movie theater for streaming services.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
Yeah. The general public seems to be allergic to thought. As I've said in other posts, action for the sake of action puts me to sleep. I prefer slower films--a big reason why "Crown Vic" was such a special gem in a modern sea of sugary soda pop.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 09/08/20 04:09 PM.
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,328
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,328
Likes: 19
Originally Posted by RossUK
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
Continue my catching movies I missed cos I wasn't born or was too young. This English made political thriller.

https://www.amazon.com/Final-Option-Richard-Widmark/dp/B009FBKHP8

Slow! Some of it like watching a funeral.




Are you joking. This is a classic.

They used real SAS soldiers for the helicopter segment as couldn't get insurance for actors.


Really? No wonder those terrorists couldn't put up half of a fight. They were cut down like weeds.


[Linked Image]
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
M
Veteran
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,010
Likes: 47
NFB, I wonder if you could handle something such as "Scarface" or the epic 7 hour edit of "The Godfather" which combines the first two movies together, chronologically. Or, how about "Apocalypse Now: Redux."


Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 09/08/20 05:31 PM.
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,328
Likes: 19
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Nov 2019
Posts: 8,328
Likes: 19
Scarface I like. Apocalypse Now was too boring and unbearable for me. Only seen Godfather 3 on TV. Looks there is a new version coming https://variety.com/2020/film/news/godfather-part-iii-ending-new-version-theaters-1234758590/


[Linked Image]
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 5,503
P
Hotshot
Hotshot
P Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 5,503
Blastman, check out, "The Vast of The Night." Not an action film, but a slow boiling Science Fiction. I really like this. Small film, small budget. Well acted. Takes place during one night a small town in the 1950's. Very atmospheric. I think you may like this.


"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,825
Likes: 84
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,825
Likes: 84
Originally Posted by Pooch
Blastman, check out, "The Vast of The Night." Not an action film, but a slow boiling Science Fiction. I really like this. Small film, small budget. Well acted. Takes place during one night a small town in the 1950's. Very atmospheric. I think you may like this.


Seconded. Great film.

Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,751
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,751
just watched the remake of Flight of the Phoenix on HBO,not too shabby..I'm a big fan as most who have seen my posts of black and white classics and Gen,Stewart in particular,,But I have to admit with the improved visuals it was as good as the first..Too bad they couldn't do a remake of The Spirit Of St Louis but who could play Charles Lindbergh as well as James Stewart


Russ
Semper Fi
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by rwatson
Charles Lindbergh



Now there's a guy who had quite an interesting and at times chaotic life.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,751
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,751
Yeah PM he was one of my childhood heroes along with Gen,Stewart ,,Couldn't imagine packing a few sandwiches and hopping in a plane to France,,In that crate,,His war views I don't agree with but he did some combat flying in the Pacific think I read Corsairs or Hellcats and James Stewart 's record speaks for itself


Russ
Semper Fi
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,464
Likes: 18
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,464
Likes: 18
Originally Posted by rwatson
Yeah PM he was one of my childhood heroes along with Gen,Stewart ,,Couldn't imagine packing a few sandwiches and hopping in a plane to France,,In that crate,,His war views I don't agree with but he did some combat flying in the Pacific think I read Corsairs or Hellcats and James Stewart 's record speaks for itself

He did some work with P38s out in the Pacific and got them to change how they handled their engine rpm and pressure to squeeze another couple hundred miles of range out of them. The guy was a hell of a pilot.

Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,464
Likes: 18
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,464
Likes: 18
Ash vs Evil Dead, finally got around to seeing the 3rd season.
It's basically a sequel series to the Evil Dead movies. It's dumb, fun, and cheesy as hell. Would recommend to any fan of Evil Dead / Army of Darkness.

Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,155
Likes: 190
F
Veteran
Veteran
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,155
Likes: 190
Ah Jimmy Stewart, a real man if there ever was one.


US federal spending per person per year, in constant 2025 dollars:
1925 - $153.00
2025 - $20,497.00

"In the vast library of socialist books, there’s not a single volume on how to create wealth, only how to take and “redistribute” it.” - David Horowitz (RIP)

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." Thomas Sowell
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by F4UDash4
Ah Jimmy Stewart, a real man if there ever was one.



Absolutely. Both his public and his private life (as far as what is known) were both stellar.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 5,534
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 5,534
Originally Posted by F4UDash4
Ah Jimmy Stewart, a real man if there ever was one.


To a train carriage full of people and some bandits:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stewart
"If your eye offends you, then pluck it out"

As he holds aloft a glass eye

Always loved that scene smile


Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,155
Likes: 190
F
Veteran
Veteran
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,155
Likes: 190
There is a YouTube video of Stewart on Johnny Carson reciting a poem he wrote about his dog...... it gets me every time.


US federal spending per person per year, in constant 2025 dollars:
1925 - $153.00
2025 - $20,497.00

"In the vast library of socialist books, there’s not a single volume on how to create wealth, only how to take and “redistribute” it.” - David Horowitz (RIP)

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." Thomas Sowell
Page 204 of 442 1 2 … 202 203 204 205 206 … 441 442

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,078,271 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1