|
|
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,165 Likes: 190
Veteran
|
|
Veteran
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,165 Likes: 190 |
When I was 12 years old (1974) I was in the hospital recovering from a leg surgery. I and the other kids there were being shown a movie, it was about auto racing. At some point there was a nude or nearly nude scene and the nurses obscured the screen. Any idea what movie this could have been? I can't recall.
US federal spending per person per year, in constant 2025 dollars: 1925 - $153.00 2025 - $20,497.00
"In the vast library of socialist books, there’s not a single volume on how to create wealth, only how to take and “redistribute” it.” - David Horowitz (RIP)
"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." Thomas Sowell
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 27,044 Likes: 26
Lifer
|
|
Lifer
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 27,044 Likes: 26 |
I never liked Top Gun or Red Dawn, and I was the target audience, born in '71 . I'm a Big Trouble in Little China kind of guy.
I'm watching John Frankenheimer's incomparable 1966 classic Grand Prix tonight. Lol, "Big Trouble in Little China" was a great and very underrated movie.  Wheels
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 10,845
Veteran
|
|
Veteran
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 10,845 |
American Sniper for the 3rd time. Think I am getting to old to watch this anymore. Emotions are running to high.
Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7 3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k: LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB Youtube videosFlickr Photos
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 20,152
Lifer
|
|
Lifer
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 20,152 |
American Sniper for the 3rd time. Think I am getting to old to watch this anymore. Emotions are running to high. It's so true, since I had kids man I cry at a drop of a hat, even watching news coverage. My kids just laugh at my wife and I because she's even worse than me. The end of American Sniper when they show the actual casket traveling across TX gets me every time...
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 20,152
Lifer
|
|
Lifer
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 20,152 |
Was told Hunter Killer was a decent flick, from the previews it looks cheesy as hell so I stayed away. Netflix que was getting this so I decided to get it since my wife was away all weekend. I couldn't even get 1/2 way through it without shutting it off, some decent people in it, but they couldn't even carry this low budget film with HS special effects...
Last edited by Top Gun; 04/22/19 02:46 PM.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,040 Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
|
|
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,040 Likes: 66 |
Hunter-Killer completely flopped at the box office last year. Now I know why!
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 27,044 Likes: 26
Lifer
|
|
Lifer
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 27,044 Likes: 26 |
Was told Hunter Killer was a decent flick, from the previews it looks cheesy as hell so I stayed away. Netflix que was getting this so I decided to get it since my wife was away all weekend. I couldn't even get 1/2 way through it without shutting it off, some decent people in it, but they couldn't even carry this low budget film with HS special effects... Thought I had already reviewed it here as a "must miss" but I seem to have forgotten. The only consolation for me was that I watched at a friends house and it didn't cost me anything but some time. Wheels
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,659
Hotshot
|
|
Hotshot
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,659 |
I was re-watching the film The Horse Soldiers with Bill Holden , John Wayne, and Constance Towers I am always impressed by the way the director fills the screen with lines of Horse Cavalry .1st the North and further along in the movie the South. The background shots are open with eye candy of what might have been , The plantation's foreground and The Rail Cars being destroyed at Newton Station along the route of march are well done. Although not a great film , its interesting to watch and has a notable dialog engagement. The dialog centers around where the units latrines should be located when camping by a River. up stream or down stream depending on the taste of the morning coffee. https://youtu.be/8uGy7ldmDGo
Last edited by carrick58; 04/24/19 02:07 AM.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,040 Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
|
|
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,040 Likes: 66 |
I was re-watching the film The Horse Soldiers with Bill Holden , John Wayne, and Constance Towers I am always impressed by the way the director fills the screen with lines of Horse Cavalry .1st the North and further along in the movie the South. The background shots are open with eye candy of what might have been , The plantation's foreground and The Rail Cars being destroyed at Newton Station along the route of march are well done. Although not a great film , its interesting to watch and has a notable dialog engagement. The dialog centers around where the units latrines should be located when camping by a River. up stream or down stream depending on the taste of the morning coffee. https://youtu.be/8uGy7ldmDGo I've not seen this movie but I'll check it out since I consider myself to be an ACW history buff. One thing that always fascinates me about these war movies from the 1950's and 1960's. They all had a distinct air of innocence and sanitized view of war compared to more recent ACW movies like "Glory" and "Cold Mountain".
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 27,044 Likes: 26
Lifer
|
|
Lifer
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 27,044 Likes: 26 |
They all had a distinct air of innocence and sanitized view of war compared to more recent ACW movies like "Glory" and "Cold Mountain". Could it be that they had already seen enough war to know what it looked like and they didn't need an on screen version to remind them? Wheels
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,271
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,271 |
Binge-watched The French Connection and The French Connection II last weekend. Gene Hackman is a beast in both, and then there is Marseilles in II. Real seedy and stinky. Exactly what I remember growing up there back in the 70s, terribly touching Cheers, Slug
"Major Burns isn't saying much of anything, Sir. I think he's formulating the answer..." - Radar - M*A*S*H
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,976 Likes: 3
Far Out, Solid & Right On Hotshot
|
|
Far Out, Solid & Right On Hotshot
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,976 Likes: 3 |
Late to the party, but I started watching Hell On Wheels. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Just finished watching Season 1 episode 9, what and ending, that really surprised me. I'm going to be binge watching this for awhile.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 10,845
Veteran
|
|
Veteran
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 10,845 |
Late to the party, but I started watching Hell On Wheels. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Just finished watching Season 1 episode 9, what and ending, that really surprised me. I'm going to be binge watching this for awhile. I enjoyed the first couple seasons then lost track of it. Lost interest.
Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7 3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k: LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB Youtube videosFlickr Photos
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 27,044 Likes: 26
Lifer
|
|
Lifer
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 27,044 Likes: 26 |
Big John Wayne fan but I had never seen Hondo before a few nights ago. Nothing really new for any John Wayne fan since he plays practically the same character in every Western. I would still recommend it though. Hondo: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045883/Wheels
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 10,845
Veteran
|
|
Veteran
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 10,845 |
Netflix "Wondering Earth" Save yourself. Painful to watch.
Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7 3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k: LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB Youtube videosFlickr Photos
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,659
Hotshot
|
|
Hotshot
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,659 |
The long Hot Summer ; P Newman , Joanna Woodward , Orson Wells , and , a delicious looking, Lee Remick as well as other actors who did a good job.. Just an enjoyable film. Although there seems to be a lot missing from the org two stories put together for the movie, Its still a interesting character study P.S. I tried reading both stories back to back ,but couldn't get through them. However, the film no problem.
Last edited by carrick58; 05/10/19 09:16 PM.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,790
Old Scroat Senior Member
|
|
Old Scroat Senior Member
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,790 |
"303 Squadron" As it was made by Poland I thought it would be better than 'Hurricane' documenting the same subject, the vital contribution Polish pilots and Czech to the 'Battle of Britain".
It wasn't.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,368 Likes: 19
Veteran
|
|
Veteran
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,368 Likes: 19 |
That's a shame,the trailer showed some promise.
If you watch Jaws backwards, it's a heart warming story about a shark that spits out so many people that they have to open a beach.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,040 Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
|
|
Pro-Consul of Florida King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,040 Likes: 66 |
What was so bad about the Polish documentary?
“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,368 Likes: 19
Veteran
|
|
Veteran
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,368 Likes: 19 |
What was so bad about the Polish documentary? We're talking about the film '303 Squadron'.
If you watch Jaws backwards, it's a heart warming story about a shark that spits out so many people that they have to open a beach.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|