SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,588
4
Senior Member
Senior Member
4 Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,588
I have always used whatever keyboard I had laying around. Even when I bought my gaming/simming PC online, I didn't order a keyboard. I used an old Dell board. Nice black with a white border, low profile keys. Works well, whatever.

However I bought, for reasons still not entirely clear to me, a gaming keyboard with mechanical keys. Just under 80 bucks USD, a Logitech G610.I decided to try it out, what the hell. And I'm in love with the damned thing.

It's heavy. Doesn't skitter about. Keys are so responsive and never have the slight 'bind' feeling I have felt on almost every 'standard' keyboard I've used down through the years. From ARMA3 to IL-2 to typing, the thing is a pleasure to use. And the illuminated keys are a godsend. It feels rugged and reliable. Very utilitarian and as I get older, the matter-of-fact tools are the ones I like best.

This thing has simply made every aspect of using that PC a pleasure, and my previous keyboard for that machine is now the one for this PC, my internet machine. I now hate that keyboard. I had never thought much about them one way or another. I am surprised about the whole thing.


What kind of car is that? What does it matter? When I drive it, I'm Steve McQueen
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,042
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,042
A good, mechanical switch, keyboard is excellent and makes the others feel like a complete waste. I am a keyboard addict and own at least a dozen.


ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,581
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,581
I like that volume roller on there, I hate button volume controls.
Normally I go for scissor keys, since I need a low profile keyboard. I like ‘em flat and low.


·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,042
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,042
Originally Posted by Raw Kryptonite
I like that volume roller on there, I hate button volume controls.


Though it isn't a must, that is one of my favorite features of some of my keyboards ( like the G910 I am typing on right now ).

Last edited by cichlidfan; 03/23/18 11:24 PM.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,368
Likes: 19
C
Veteran
Veteran
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,368
Likes: 19
I've been gaming since the days of Falcon 3 and I bought my first mechanical keyboard last year. I'll never buy anything else from now on.


If you watch Jaws backwards, it's a heart warming story about a shark that spits out so many people that they have to open a beach.
Joined: Dec 1999
Posts: 7,747
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot
Joined: Dec 1999
Posts: 7,747
Used a MS Sidewinder keyboard for a long time, had a (pseudo-)analog volume control.
Loved the thing, but in true corporate fashion some manager decided that MS should stop producing keyboards (just like they axed joysticks before that (and went full retard by actually boycotting joystick support in their games (Freelancer, WTF))). Whatever, I'm on a Logitech 910 now. It's an adequate (if pricey) substitute, particularly the macro programming option is important (and I like being able to color code certain sectors of the board (or even individual keys)). Not entirely happy with the driver, but all in all it does a better job than all others on the market that I know.

So, yeah, I totally understand you.

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,214
Likes: 3
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,214
Likes: 3
I have a number of 1995 IBM Model M keyboard I saved from destruction at work several years ago and have been using them ever since. Only thing I miss is the windows key.


The road less traveled is filled with fewer needy people.
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,082
-
Veteran
Veteran
- Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,082
I have an 8-year old Logitech Wave keyboard. Every time I go to Currys or GAME, I take a look at the gaming keyboards they have on display. I've never liked them. I like the wave design of my keybaord. Not only are the keys slightly curved in terms of height relative to each other (so some are higher, others, lower), there's also a slight cuve in the way the keys are laid out, so it kind of curves outward. The equal height and straight rows of normal keyboards feels weird now. Another factor I always look at is the ENTER key. I like a full size (2-row) ENTER key, not a slim 1-row type.

Lastly, I don't like the clickety-clack of the new mechanical keyboards. I hated the noise of the old-school keyboards and I liked it when we got membrane keyboards. My Wave isn't really quiet, but a mechanical keyboard would be even more so.

I've always been trying to convince myself to get a mechanical keyboard; I like my gadgets and toys, but I could never bring myself to buy one. I don't twitch-game very much, the most I play is War Thunder.

Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 839
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 839
Very nice, but holy expensive keyboard!!

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 11,410
Likes: 10
Pilgrim
Veteran
Pilgrim
Veteran
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 11,410
Likes: 10
I hear you. Some years ago I bought a name brand Razer Anansi and I like it. I'm not sure if its mechanical and I'm actually not sure what a mechanical keyboard is. Its nice with the ability of extra programmable macro buttons but I don't use them. One things I have always wanted in a keyboard as a gamer is arrow keys that are analog. Some games are designed well with a controller but some are not. Unfortunately when you go to a keyboard then you loose the nice, analog motion of a controller which can hurt the experience in my opinion especially in a FPS. Someone linked me once to a kickstarter campaign where someone was doing just that, making a keyboard with analog keys.


John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

Joined: May 2010
Posts: 5,534
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 5,534
Thanks for the reminder, had to take this keyboard apart and clean it after the cat had knocked a glass of beer over the number pad, the - + and enter keys were still a little sticky after I had washed the keyboard out, all working fine again smile

The keyboard is a Logitech MX5000 Bluetooth and I've had it since 2009, up to 2009 I had used a wired keyboard, one off a Compaq PC from the early 90s (large 5 pin DIN plug) and a Logitech trackball, the keyboard was no longer giving it's best and I got this one as a replacement as I wanted to put my PC in a place where I would not have an easy cable run to the desk, I used this keyboard and the trackball until the micro switches in the trackball failed and now I'm using the mouse that came with the keyboard.

I notice the difference in response time between the wired and the Bluetooth keyboards and I keep a wired keyboard for when the Bluetooth one won't cut it smile

I really miss the trackball and prefer it over the mouse.


Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,588
4
Senior Member
Senior Member
4 Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,588
Being able to directly compare the "clickity clack" of the membrane type Dell keyboard I have used for 8 years or so and the new mechanical Logitech is possible for me; both are in-use approximately 8 inches from one another.

The membrane type is far from quiet. The mechanical one makes a sharper noise but I would not call it noisier than the membrane type. The noise is different. My old one- and every other one of that type- has a definite sound for depress and rebound, like the mechanical one.

The mechanical one is a crisper sound, and my experience as a composites technician from years back suggests to me it's a very similar plastic between the two. The noise from the membrane type seems due to A) the type of switch, which should be quieter by it's nature, but is compounded by B) the shape of the keys- much shorter than the mechanical ones, and C) the proximity of the keys to each other, which promotes rubbing between keys. While the distance between keys is approximately the same as the mechanical board, the membrane type keys can lean enough to audibly creak if I place a fingertip on one and rock side to side. The mechanical one doesn't; it makes a slight 'tick'.. The shape of the keys on my old Dell seems to promote noise because the mechanical one seems to 'center' the fingertip on the key better due to the height; it allows a slightly more concave shape while the old type doesn't. The major and obvious thing that seems to make more of a sharp sound on the mechanical board is the height of the keys possibly being a better sound board.

I do not have a dB meter here at home, but it would not surprise me to learn the mechanical one is only 10-15% louder than the membrane type I have. Anecdotally, as an amateur mechanic and car restorer, I have ears sensitive enough to be able to tell where the problem is in V8 engines by simply listening. Loose cam gear bolts, bent pushrods, missing nylon keepers on rocker arms, broken rocker arm shafts, cracked exhaust manifold gaskets, carburetors that are allowing gas to drip from primaries during idle, flywheels that are letting go etc, are things I have diagnosed by listening to engines while they run. I feel I can judge cause and location of noise in a machine fairly well.

After reading this thread, what surprises me most is that the noise of keyboards can be heard over the computer and sound system while playing a game. I do not crank the volume up, yet I cannot hear my PC (right next to me about 1 foot away and almost at head level) which has multiple large fans and an active cooling system or either keyboard over my PC's sound system. Typing this right now, on my old keyboard in the quiet room, it sounds almost like typing class from 1984 except for a plastcky groan now and again from the board as the keys deflect and rub.


What kind of car is that? What does it matter? When I drive it, I'm Steve McQueen
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,876
I
SimHQ's resident fire enthusiast.
Member
SimHQ's resident fire enthusiast.
Member
I Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,876
I use a Ducky Shine 2 keyboard with brown switches (tactile, quiet) for my main computer, I bought small rubber rings to prevent the keys from bottoming out when I play games ( these ones, recommended! http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index....bber-o-ring-switch-dampeners-125pcs.html).
For the other I have a Cooler Master with blue switches (tactile, klicketyklickety smile ).

FYI.
There are different types of switches for mechanical keyboards.
For Cherry switches the main ones are:
Red - linear, light touch, mainly for gaming keyboards
Black - linear, a bit tougher resistance
Blue - tactile with a click, sort of like IMB-M keybords, not as loud though
Brown, tactile, quiet
And some more combinations of the ones above.
By tactile I mean a clear treshold when you press the key as opposed to the linear ones.


"When I saw The Matrix at a local theatre in Slovenia, I had the unique opportunity of sitting close to the ideal spectator of the film - namely, to an idiot." - Slavoj Zizek
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,866
Likes: 1
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,866
Likes: 1
Recently bought a all new setup of the Corsair K70Lux keyboard with the Cherry MX Red keys. And got the Corsair Saber mouse to go with it.
Fantastic. The keyboard is heavy, with a brushed aluminum body. The upper left has a 1.5" wide rollover wheel to control sound volume. The keyboard has the RGB colors, for each key, if that is your thing.
Really nice to be able to highlight the keys in different colors, based on the Game Control Layout.

The keys are noisy, but then I have worked on IBM keyboards at work for years.
The Cherry keys are the industry standard for excellent response and longevity. After getting used to the different throw on the keys, I can't go back to the membrane keyboards.
The Corsair hits all the right check boxes for me. Has pretty colors if I want. Fantasic keys. Looks normal, not like some Transformer part that fell off the robot. The volume wheel is the bomb. Has a pass though USB, and you can set the timing to different speeds.
Heavy. Does NOT move around, flex, or rock when I use it.


~Bill

In my defense, I was left unsupervised...
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,751
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,751
Nice piece of Kit there Bill..Checked it out and am considering snagging one..always like opinions from real gamers


Russ
Semper Fi
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,042
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,042
I must agree that Corsair keyboards and mice are excellent. I have a K95 RGB keyboard and both an M95 and M65 mouse.


ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,866
Likes: 1
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,866
Likes: 1
Russ, you can save some $$$ and get their refurbished units for $20-40 less, and they look and act like new units.
I just bought a Refurbished Corsair Wireless Headset, normally $129, for $69.99 and although in a brown box, the unit looked like it was never opened.


~Bill

In my defense, I was left unsupervised...
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,751
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,751
Thanks Bill I will shop around always liked the clickey clack..Got a $20 logitec but it has no meat to it..got an old Saitek key board with a key pad in the garage but a couple sticky keys on it but at least it had some heft..I sit in a recliner with the keyboard in my lap and want some beef to it


Russ
Semper Fi
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,581
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,581
Always check Amazon Warehouse for deals too. They sell things new or like new that have never been opened due to having a hit on the box.
I bought a $500 Klipsch sound bar for $275 due to the box having a crushed corner that the packing material easily handled. if it's no good, just send it back.
Got a Garmin activity wrist band on there dirt cheap before too.
Never know what you might find on there, it could be what you're looking for.


·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,082
-
Veteran
Veteran
- Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,082
I read reviews like these and that's what makes me curious about these types of keyboards. Just can't make myself spend all that money for something that I'm not sold on right now and something that I may not like even after some time with it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,076,363 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1