SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#4391100 11/24/17 12:12 AM
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,825
Likes: 84
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,825
Likes: 84
Who is watching it? Incredible western from Netflix. For fans of the genre it has everything.

Give the first episode a chance, you'll be hooked.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

RossUK #4391127 11/24/17 08:38 AM
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,914
Likes: 32
D
DM Offline
Senior Member
Senior Member
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,914
Likes: 32
Well I've recently enjoyed Westworld and Deadwood, so why not smile


"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
RossUK #4391130 11/24/17 11:30 AM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,038
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,038
Likes: 66
I"m not big into the Western genre in general but I'll give it a shot. "Westworld" is different for me though because of its sci-fi element.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
RossUK #4391141 11/24/17 12:32 PM
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,825
Likes: 84
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,825
Likes: 84
The acting all round is superb but seeing Jeff Daniels playing the bad guy is something else.

RossUK #4391145 11/24/17 12:44 PM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,038
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,038
Likes: 66
Originally Posted by RossUK
The acting all round is superb but seeing Jeff Daniels playing the bad guy is something else.



I’ve never seen Jeff Daniels play a bad guy and I’ve seen him in a lot of things! That was certainly a bold casting choice by the producers.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
RossUK #4391149 11/24/17 01:23 PM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 6,079
T
Sexy Beast
Hotshot
Sexy Beast
Hotshot
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 6,079
I read the synopsis on Netfix and thought................NOPE, Hell No! a town ppopulated only by women. Really?

I like westerns, I am not a western nut but I enjoy them, Some of the old classic John Ford, John wayne and the spagetti westerns especially. But I just can't seem to enjoy the new ones for some reason.

The remake of True grit? I could barely understand what the hell jeff bridges was saying spoiled it for me. But I digress.

Is this really worth a watch?

SD


From the hills rebounding
Let this war cry sounding
Summon all at Cambria's call
The mighty force surrounding

Men of Harlech onto glory
This shall ever be your story
Keep these fighting words before ye
Welshmen never yield
the soupdragon #4391165 11/24/17 03:10 PM
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 11,962
Likes: 141
C
Administrator
Veteran
Administrator
Veteran
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 11,962
Likes: 141
Originally Posted by the soupdragon

Is this really worth a watch?
SD


IMHO, yes.


"praemonitus, praemunitus"
"We in America have no interest in being polite and orderly caretakers of the West’s managed decline." - Secretary of State Marco Rubio
[Linked Image]
What we agreed to abide by in these forums!
CB's Tips for Potentially Contentious Forum Discussions
RossUK #4391188 11/24/17 05:14 PM
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,825
Likes: 84
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,825
Likes: 84
I thought the same about Jeff Daniels, but he nails it. Some of the things he says and does are chilling. Without spoiling it, his parts in a church and some travellers are brilliant.

And the comment about a town full of women, I thought the same but it's written well and there are lots of sub plots so plenty of other story arcs.

RossUK #4391241 11/24/17 10:58 PM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 6,079
T
Sexy Beast
Hotshot
Sexy Beast
Hotshot
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 6,079
Just watched the first episode. I take it all beck. That opening scene. Wow, just wow.
Great episode. I hope it continues as good as the first.

Thanks for the heads up Ross

SD


From the hills rebounding
Let this war cry sounding
Summon all at Cambria's call
The mighty force surrounding

Men of Harlech onto glory
This shall ever be your story
Keep these fighting words before ye
Welshmen never yield
RossUK #4391286 11/25/17 03:56 AM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 5,503
P
Hotshot
Hotshot
P Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 5,503
Just watched the first two episodes. Now I'm hooked, Dammit. Thanks a lot!


"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

RossUK #4391293 11/25/17 06:07 AM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 11,410
Likes: 10
Pilgrim
Veteran
Pilgrim
Veteran
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 11,410
Likes: 10
I put it on the ol' watch list. Jeff Daniels is a good actor so I look forward to seeing him play a different role than he normally does. I don't think I've seen a really good newer, Western since "Open Range". I hope Costner's got another Western movie or two up his sleeves. I don't like all his movies and honestly some of them and his acting aren't great at all but I'd see a Costner Western any day of the week. He does them well in my opinion. Thanks for the heads up on this. The Netflix description does sound off-putting like its another one of those bizarro pseudo Westerns but you all have me intrigued now.


John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

RossUK #4391320 11/25/17 02:38 PM
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 11,962
Likes: 141
C
Administrator
Veteran
Administrator
Veteran
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 11,962
Likes: 141
It's a "limited series", so it doesn't go on for very many episodes. The series is very well done. It is not for children though.


"praemonitus, praemunitus"
"We in America have no interest in being polite and orderly caretakers of the West’s managed decline." - Secretary of State Marco Rubio
[Linked Image]
What we agreed to abide by in these forums!
CB's Tips for Potentially Contentious Forum Discussions
RossUK #4391323 11/25/17 03:01 PM
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 13,225
Likes: 1
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 13,225
Likes: 1
Because of this thread I just watched episode 1 smile A bit slow getting started , but so far I like it.


Archie Smythe

carpe diem
RossUK #4391363 11/25/17 09:33 PM
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 10,845
J
Veteran
Veteran
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 10,845
Just finished the entire 7 shows, I thought the complete show was great.


Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
RossUK #4391568 11/27/17 02:15 AM
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,496
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,496
The visuals were pretty good. I think the first 6 episodes were a bit slow, to be honest. I understand the time needed to develop the characters so that you care about them, but perhaps it could have been a bit more exciting. Last episode was really good though.

RossUK #4391575 11/27/17 04:35 AM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 9,163
Administrator
Hotshot
Administrator
Hotshot
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 9,163

Originally Posted by DM
Well I've recently enjoyed Westworld and Deadwood, so why not smile





Deadwood was a once in a lifetime, classic.

Not gonna see stuff like that from 'Hollywood', ever again.
I have all the DVD's from all 3 seasons.
They really should have bucked the Hearst Media family, and made a 4th season.
But I guess looking at your families history, through a clear lenses, is tough for the powerful.

So it either gets changed, or erased....... wink

David Milch lacked the moral courage to continue the series......sad man.

The last episode of season 3, says it all, with Hearst on the stage, run out of town.
Not something the new powerful family, would approve of.
Comstock mines wasn't such a sweet record of their family history either.......
Wonder how they're gonna 'erase' that history.




"Murphy's Law"
RossUK #4391622 11/27/17 04:22 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 7,126
T
Hotshot
Hotshot
T Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 7,126
Episode 1 under my belt, but can't say it hooked me. Felt a little bored actually. The acting by some.. below par. The sheriff's sister.. wow, sounded like she was reading her lines. Amateur. Seems they are relying on "over the top" death and destruction antics.

I'd rather see a series based on Unforgiven. A bad guy that is actually scared when he gets in gun fights - and people who have trouble shooting someone 10 feet in front of them with a pistol because of the huge amount of adrenaline and fear that overtakes their system - like real humans.

Last edited by TerribleTwo; 11/27/17 04:26 PM.

"College graduates should not have to live out their 20s in their childhood bedrooms, staring up at fading Obama posters and wondering when they can move out and get going with life" - Paul Ryan
RossUK #4393057 12/04/17 12:25 AM
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,825
Likes: 84
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,825
Likes: 84
Well, just finished episode 7. Incredible show. Not sure if they should follow it up. Everything gets tidied up pretty well.

After The Sinner, Mindhunter and if course Stranger Things I'm not sure how Netflix can top this year.

Loving Designated Survivor again though.


Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
How to Decommission Obsolete Robots....
by F4UDash4 - 10/04/26 05:54 PM
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,082,414 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1