SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 5,503
P
Hotshot
Hotshot
P Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 5,503
Old, I guess both of us being pilots would certainly affect what era we'd like to live in. Yea, back when you could fly anywhere and not have to worry about air traffic control. See an empty field down below and land to ask for directions home!
Have to admit, flying in WW2 sounds exciting. I'm not stupid enough to think that I wouldn't have gotten my ass shot up, though.
Still, I was born in 1952. And I've done a whole lot of flying in many different types of airplanes. Rode the electric busses with my parents when we lived in Brooklyn, New York. Saw color TV come in. Worked at a time when the econmy was great and there was plenty of jobs and lots of overtime. Wouldn't want to be young today, but my time wasn't so bad, I guess.
Would love to experience ancient Rome, too, though.


"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 12,571
Likes: 2
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 12,571
Likes: 2
I get the air/space travel inventions and advances. I'm glad I'm old enough to at least have vague memories of Houston, TX still being known as "Space City". I also remember our first color television with only 4 stations to choose from.

But as someone else already touched on, I wouldn't want to go back to, say...50's health care. My last 10 years of dental/orthodontics was unpleasant enough, I can't imagine what it would have been like many decades ago. And now our eyeballs are being fixed with lasers instead of razors, and I've seen firsthand some newer equipment for eye and heart testing. Of course, in 100 years I guess our modern medicine will seem barbaric.



The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,271
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,271
Renaissance Period, dropped me in Florence, Italy, please, but only if I am a wealthy merchant or a gifted man of the arts.

Cheers,
Slug


"Major Burns isn't saying much of anything, Sir. I think he's formulating the answer..." - Radar - M*A*S*H
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,363
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,363
I would love having been around in the late '40s to late '50s to experience all that great music first hand, and driven in those wonderful looking cars. As an added bonus, if I had bought a guitar back then it could have been worth tens of thousands of dollars today.

On the other hand, when I think of the comparatively primitive state of dentistry back then, I'll pass...

Last edited by Johan217; 08/16/17 07:11 AM.

Undercarriage lever a bit sticky was it, Sir?
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,751
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 5,751
Born in 49,,Wish that was 10 years earlier I would have missed Vietnam,,But liked the eras music and values we had back then


Russ
Semper Fi
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,790
B
Old Scroat
Senior Member
Old Scroat
Senior Member
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,790
Can I start my 80 years from when I reach 80 in 2030 please?
I think I'll stay in England though, not much threat of death or injury from nature here.



Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,076,570 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1