SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4363772 06/14/17 03:56 AM
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 22,410
L
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
Lifer
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
Lifer
L Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 22,410
If I ever have to go through it again I will have to ask (beg) for a Xanax before doing it. I'm not "elevator" claustrophobic, but as I learned over the weekend, I am coffin-sized enclosure claustrophobic.

I realize that not all mri scanners are the same size, but St Francis hospital here in Columbus, GA bought the sub-compact version which apparently hasn't undergone any updates since it was first developed in the early 1940s by Dr Von-something-or-another at Camp so-and-so near Dachau.

If you haven't been in one, imagine sliding into a small coffin with 1000 watt surround sound speakers. Then you discover that Satan is a Skrillex fan and wants you to audition his latest electronica creations for about 20 minutes. As I understand it, some folks go in with their torso inside and their heads outside. Not me, I slid in head first. My view in front of me was about half an inch.

The success of a mri scan depends a great deal on you laying still so as not to distort the final image. This is difficult mainly because those Skrillex grooves are extremely infectious - more than once I wanted to pull myself out of there and dance, or as some call it, run home crying.

By the way, if you are ever in the unlikely circumstance where you want to discover how many "Hail Mary" prayers you can say in 20 minutes, don't cheat yourself - do it in an mri scanner with a guinness world records official to keep score. There are no atheists in mri scanners.


The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 7,445
Likes: 3
survivor
Hotshot
survivor
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 7,445
Likes: 3
I've had a few, all of the "coffin" variety. I just close my eyes and pretend I'm somewhere else. Horrible experience, and I've more to look forward to.


"You'll never take me alive" said he,
And his ghost may be heard if you pass by that billabong
"Who'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me?"



Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,849
F
Senior Member
Senior Member
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,849
I always have them put a big ass fan to keep the air flowning through the magnetic donut. I do wish they had better speakers for the radio music they pump in.

Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 12,417
Likes: 12
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 12,417
Likes: 12
I''ve had two, both coffin style, and even though I'm (situationally) claustrophobic it did't bother me a bit.

You want suck, trying having surgery where you aren't put under sufficiently and can feel everything...

Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 7,445
Likes: 3
survivor
Hotshot
survivor
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 7,445
Likes: 3
Who was doing the surgery, the Gestapo? Is that a true experience?


"You'll never take me alive" said he,
And his ghost may be heard if you pass by that billabong
"Who'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me?"



Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,181
D
Bug Stompe....Quisling
Member
Bug Stompe....Quisling
Member
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,181
Originally Posted by Mad Max
Who was doing the surgery, the Gestapo? Is that a true experience?

Sadly, yes. Its documented that when you're put under, you're paralyzed and unable to signal that you're feeling pain.

Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 7,445
Likes: 3
survivor
Hotshot
survivor
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 7,445
Likes: 3
I've had a LOT of surgery but never had an experience like that. To me the op is just a discontinuity.


"You'll never take me alive" said he,
And his ghost may be heard if you pass by that billabong
"Who'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me?"



Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 12,417
Likes: 12
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 12,417
Likes: 12
Originally Posted by Mad Max
Who was doing the surgery, the Gestapo? Is that a true experience?


Yeah, I was having nasal surgery and was "awake" for part of it at least.

Let's just say that feeling them peel your nose back is vastly overrated, not being able to breath well was fun too. Thankfully I went all the way under at some point.

Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 7,445
Likes: 3
survivor
Hotshot
survivor
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 7,445
Likes: 3
Jeez, my last op for prostate removal took seven hours. Feeling that would have been enormously entertaining.


"You'll never take me alive" said he,
And his ghost may be heard if you pass by that billabong
"Who'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me?"



Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 209
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 209
I had only a leg scanned so lying in the MRI scanner wasn't that bad. But during the second phase of the scan they injected the contrasting agent (gadolinium chelate FYI) and I reacted violently with an anaphylactic shock. Had to spent the next hours in intensive care and the rest of the night at the hospital. And I wished I better had emptied my bowels before the procedure frown It was supposed to be standard procedure. Now my case has an entry in my country's FDA equivalent's registry.
Highlight of this ordeal: I discovered the fantastic hospital cafeteria and went there during my two next stays wink


"It's people like you that give people like you a bad name!"
- Jessica Jones
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 5,534
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 5,534
Originally Posted by DaBBQ
Originally Posted by Mad Max
Who was doing the surgery, the Gestapo? Is that a true experience?

Sadly, yes. Its documented that when you're put under, you're paralyzed and unable to signal that you're feeling pain.


Happened to my daughter too, when she woke up from the anaesthetic she could describe exactly what the doctors were saying and doing and that she was in terrible pain, she could not move or let anyone know about it, thankfully after a few hours she had completely forgotten about it, but my wife and I heard her say it as she came round. She had 30cm of small intestine removed during the operation.

I was in for an investigation into my oesophagus, I was sedated and given some drugs that would wipe my memory of it, ok so far, I have a deep rooted fear of choking, I had my throat crushed when I was 8 and fell off a climbing frame landing on the bottom rung with my neck, I could hardly breath and could not swallow, I still have a very slight speech impediment from it.

Anyway, I have titanium implants in my upper jaw to take a denture and for them to put the endoscope down my throat I had to remove the denture, halfway down to where they wanted to view I panicked and bit down hard on the endoscope, 50000€ worth of hi tech medical equipment now has a slice out of it from one of the titanium implants and I'm banned from having the investigation done while awake smile

I cannot remember anything about it except being in a total sweat and my wife asking if I was ok


Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,152
Likes: 190
F
Veteran
Veteran
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 18,152
Likes: 190
I've had a few MRI experiences, the tight confines never bothered me. Thankfully I've also never experienced the pain awareness during surgery either, that sounds horrifying!


US federal spending per person per year, in constant 2025 dollars:
1925 - $153.00
2025 - $20,497.00

"In the vast library of socialist books, there’s not a single volume on how to create wealth, only how to take and “redistribute” it.” - David Horowitz (RIP)

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." Thomas Sowell
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 20,152
T
Lifer
Lifer
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 20,152
my last MRI for my shoulder was in a tight spot, what sucked was it was during the spring and pollen was in the air so I would try to stifle a cough and she would tell me to stay still... It wasn't like I was trying to cough..


XboxLive Tag: DOBrienTG1969

Dave O'Brien,
Top Gun Photography
Nikon D500 & D7200
Nikkor 70-200VR AF-s F/2.8
Sigma 50-500 & 17-50 F2.8
Sigma 150-600
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 10,118
K
Veteran
Veteran
K Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 10,118
They don't put you under for inserting stents. You can feel the 'probe' traveling thru the artery to the heart

A few weeks ago had a PE done and again not put under. (PE - wires are inserted into a vein in the groin and go to the heart. They then zap the heart.)

They do freeze the insertion point.


There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,032
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,032
Likes: 66
Krazi's post just made me shudder and wince.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 12,571
Likes: 2
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 12,571
Likes: 2
Had an MRI back in 2009 when I developed a condition known as coital cephalalgia (sex headache). I'm not claustrophobic so the enclosure didn't bother me so much, it was the grinding and banging noises and having to stay perfectly still for so long that I didn't care for.

Haven't had general anesthetic surgery since tonsils as an infant. I've seen those conscious during surgery experiences on TV, sounds horrendous.

I've read that hospitals are super-sizing their equipment to accommodate our ever-expanding girth, so maybe MRIs in the future will be a bit less confining. smile

Last edited by MarkG; 06/14/17 12:52 PM. Reason: sp


The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 10,118
K
Veteran
Veteran
K Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 10,118
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Krazi's post just made me shudder and wince.

There was also a monitor the docs used where you could watch the progress of the end of the probe with the attached stent.

Is that now a double shudder and wince? biggrin


There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,082
-
Veteran
Veteran
- Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,082
Interesting inputs from the "other end" of the hospital experience. Awareness during anesthetic is rare so it's also quite interesting to have two accounts of it right here smile

I had an MRI done before, just had to close my eyes and think of being somewhere else. I don't remember the machine being noisy though.

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 12,571
Likes: 2
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 12,571
Likes: 2
Originally Posted by KraziKanuK
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Krazi's post just made me shudder and wince.

There was also a monitor the docs used where you could watch the progress of the end of the probe with the attached stent.

Is that now a double shudder and wince? biggrin


I'd pass on that. I don't mind needles and stuff, but I'd rather not watch the procedure.

I've had lots of dental work over the past 8 years including braces, extractions and implants. Sometimes I have to stop the doc and ask, "Do I really need to know this?" I appreciate him wanting to explain the gruesome details, but I'd rather not know them (ignorance is bliss), or tell my wife and she can tell me later. Just drug me, let me wear padded headphones so that my tunes drown out the talking and instruments of torture, and do what you have to do.



The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,525
Likes: 2
L
Hotshot
Hotshot
L Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,525
Likes: 2
I had a full head and torso MRI done after a PET scan showed "mets" on my spine, neck, and everywhere else. I was lucky, it was one of those "open air" ones. The dye they put in my IV made me fell all sweaty and sick. I think it is funny that they ask you if you want to listen to music with head phones. I thought some classical music would help me relax, but all you hear is what letterboy1 so perfectly described. I have a terrible time laying perfectly still fro 45 minutes straight (still in pain from several surgeries), so my doctor had me take an Ativan and a small dosage Norco for it. The helped a lot.

Crane Hunter, I have heard some stories like yours. Makes me cringe just thinking about it. I had a needle bone biopsy done while I was awake. They put me on my side and put a long needle into the back of my pelvis. The doctor actually used a small hammer to pound it in deeper, while he twisted it around too. They gave me some goofy juice, but that didn't help.

Still, I feel I can't complain after seeing child birth and seen what some of our veterans have been through.

Having a tooth pulled this Tuesday (one the doctors cracked when they put a breathing tube in during one of my surgeries). Ugh, I am already nervous.

Last edited by LB4LB; 06/14/17 02:58 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,077,052 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1