SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#4360790 05/31/17 03:55 PM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 7,375
Likes: 1
S
Hotshot
Hotshot
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 7,375
Likes: 1
Seen the Indy 500 last weekend for the first time, and read a bit about the series, so my question is, Is there any good Indy Racing videogame out there? Or maybe a mod for an existing game.

Thanks!


-Sir in case of retreat, were we have to retreat??
-To the Graveyard!!

sandbagger.uk.com/stratos.html
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 525
Member
Member
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 525
AFAIK, Project Cars 2 will have an Indy Car championship, but the game will be out in late 2017; and I think the Indy Car championship will not be as deep as a dedicated Indy Car game.

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 28,506
M
Lifer
Lifer
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 28,506
well most racing games have Indy cars and tracks, some ovals, mostly road... but I don't know of any tried and true dedicated Indy car game from the modern era.

but here's all the games I know that are modern and have Indy cars... hell I just hosted a Indy 50 on Forza Motorsports 6 Saturday...

iRacing
Project CARS
Forza Motorsports 5,6, and I think even the PC version.

sure theirs a few more...

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,026
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,026
Likes: 66
The last dedicated simulation of Indycar racing that I know of is the one from Papyrus. I believe it was Indycar Racing 2? I'm speaking only of PC of course. I have no idea about consoles.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 05/31/17 04:16 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 11,188
Likes: 37
A
Veteran
Veteran
A Online: Content
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 11,188
Likes: 37


Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,581
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,581
There was a horrid Indy 500 racing game for 360 a few years ago. Seemed pretty cool, retro/historic cars, but a very bad attempt. Fun for a few minutes, then it was all regret. LOL


·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,735
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,735
They run Indycar races (via mods to existing titles) over at SimHQ Motorsports

http://simhqmotorsports.com/

Hop on track, great group over there


"I'm a hundred miles away son, ready to strike"

GPL Racing: Average Drivers Club

SimHQ Motorsports: SimHQ Motorsports

EVGA Z170 Classified K MB, Intel i7-6700K CPU, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 GPU, EVGA 850 G3 PSU, Bitfenix Dawn TG Case, Windows 10,
32gb T-Force Delta RGB DDR4 3600MHz Memory, 500gb WD Black SN750 NVMe Boot Drive


Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 3,644
J
Senior Member
Senior Member
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 3,644
There was a game called Indycar Series from Codemasters back in 2003 that simulated the Indy Racing League, including the Indy 500, complete with the 4-lap qualifying and 3x11 grid. It was hampered somewhat by a rather poor, early build demo that was not a great representation of the actual game. The actual game itself was a somewhat understated affair, but actually quite fun:



It still runs on modern kit, and can even use ENB series shaders to deepen shadows etc.. The driving model is fine for what it is (sim light; much closer to rFactor than Mario Kart, which to simmer snobs means that it's ARCADE, you know how it is) and it has one splendid feature that should be standard in ALL racing games dealing with races that last more than 15 minutes; a mid-race save feature! The game auto saves during a pit stop, so it is possible to run even the Indy 500 in full without having to sit in place for two and a half hours or more. That's a great thing for those of us with an actual life! The damage model is a little forgiving, the rear view is handled by tapping a button and seeing a full screen rear view, and there are for sure some rough edges in this game that you would not find in it's much slicker F1 contemporary, F1 Challenge '99-'02. Still, it's a satisfying experience, and I have quite a few good simulated memories from the full season that I ran; a maiden victory at Miami in a crash-filled race, dropping from 1st to 3rd at Fontana in the last few laps because of an error in my fuel calculations, winning the 500 after being a lap down at the halfway mark, four victories on the trot in the last half of the season, and securing the championship with a race to spare. All made more satisfying through running full-length races, something that I would just not have had enough time for if I'd had to race in single, long sessions.

If you can find a copy online (ebay etc.) then I recommend picking it up. It is a nice little game that will scratch an Indycar-sized itch until something more inline with the current state of the art is published.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 7,375
Likes: 1
S
Hotshot
Hotshot
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 7,375
Likes: 1
Found a copy on Ebay, think it will be enough for what I'm looking, the feature to save the race on pits is a nice one.

Thanks!!


-Sir in case of retreat, were we have to retreat??
-To the Graveyard!!

sandbagger.uk.com/stratos.html
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 25,177
Likes: 2
R
Lifer
Lifer
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 25,177
Likes: 2
From the "serious sims" the one that currently does Indy best would be rFactor2 I think. They have licensed the track and the DW-12, and added a bunch of oval-specific racing rules and AI behaviour.

Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 577
E
Member
Member
E Offline
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 577
How are the Forza Motorsports indycars? I saw on youtube that they have the 1990 cars, which to me is the best-looking ones (I fell in love with indycar back when Mansell went over).

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 28,506
M
Lifer
Lifer
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 28,506
The FM series is more about car collecting and trying... not really much of a simulation at all.

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 3,644
J
Senior Member
Senior Member
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 3,644
Originally Posted by Stratos
Found a copy on Ebay, think it will be enough for what I'm looking, the feature to save the race on pits is a nice one.

Thanks!!


One quick word of warning! If you are using Windows 7, you will not be able to reconfigure controls in-game without crashing the game. In order to change control configurations, you will have to do so with whatever external profiler your controller uses. I use the Logitech Dual Action, and I change the profile with Logitech's software. It works just fine, but be aware that this is what you will have to do to change controls.

This might not be a problem with 32-bit versions of Win7, and I have no idea what the story is with Wins 8 & 10.

One more thing: the game has unlockables, which means that all difficulty levels etc. are not available right off the bat. While that sucks, use this code here...

aLLcARDS

...as a first entry when you type in your profile name. It unlocks everything in the game, and lets you get on with the business of racing rather than grinding. Also, when you are lapping Airton Daré (#14) in the game, do watch out. I do not know whether there is anything peculiarly malevolent in the coding for this driver's AI avatar, but the number of collisions that he is involved in seems to me considerably above the proper average that statistics have laid down for our guidance.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 7,375
Likes: 1
S
Hotshot
Hotshot
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 7,375
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by James McKenzie-Smith
Originally Posted by Stratos
Found a copy on Ebay, think it will be enough for what I'm looking, the feature to save the race on pits is a nice one.

Thanks!!


One quick word of warning! If you are using Windows 7, you will not be able to reconfigure controls in-game without crashing the game. In order to change control configurations, you will have to do so with whatever external profiler your controller uses. I use the Logitech Dual Action, and I change the profile with Logitech's software. It works just fine, but be aware that this is what you will have to do to change controls.

This might not be a problem with 32-bit versions of Win7, and I have no idea what the story is with Wins 8 & 10.

One more thing: the game has unlockables, which means that all difficulty levels etc. are not available right off the bat. While that sucks, use this code here...

aLLcARDS

...as a first entry when you type in your profile name. It unlocks everything in the game, and lets you get on with the business of racing rather than grinding. Also, when you are lapping Airton Daré (#14) in the game, do watch out. I do not know whether there is anything peculiarly malevolent in the coding for this driver's AI avatar, but the number of collisions that he is involved in seems to me considerably above the proper average that statistics have laid down for our guidance.


Yes, Windows7, will use your help here. Thanks again!


-Sir in case of retreat, were we have to retreat??
-To the Graveyard!!

sandbagger.uk.com/stratos.html
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 436
Member
Member
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 436
I have that Codemasters Indy game. The cars are sped up to increase the sense of speed. I have always hated it so don't expect much.


Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,075,237 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1