SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 38 of 54 1 2 … 36 37 38 39 40 … 53 54
Paradaz #4301581 10/07/16 07:40 PM
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,922
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,922
Originally Posted By: Troll
Do you get it, this time around? There won't be another. Ok?


Originally Posted By: Troll
Nope. Not wasting more time on you.


Ah, this is part of the meaningless game! You keep saying you're not playing anymore, yet you keep answering and wasting more time on me. Now you can't answer or you'll look silly! neaner


On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4301605 10/07/16 10:19 PM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,082
-
Veteran
Veteran
- Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,082
Originally Posted By: Contempt
Just DCS is point of the spear in sim tech no? Dedicated coders in aviation, and no for just the money to code aircraft? 3rd parties taking some risk! but must be worth something? looking to some legacy for their time spent perhaps?

Again, depends on how you define "point of the spear"... graphics-wise, yes. In other areas, well, other simmers have different opinions on that matter.

Dedicated coders, sure.... but the whole point of this and many other threads is that they seem to be "dedicated" to various things which makes progress on the core items of the sim quite slow.


Originally Posted By: Troll
Originally Posted By: - Ice

Then why keep including that in a discussion?
In the meantime, my car is white and I enjoy driving it very much. I like long drives because I love my car.

Because this is the DCS forum and not the white car forum..?

Yes, but your enjoyment of the game is as pointless to the discussion as is my white car. Might as well say the moon is blue. Bottom line, none of them contribute to the discussion.


Originally Posted By: Troll
Originally Posted By: - Ice
Huh? Where was this stated, exactly?

Here...

I'm sorry then, but arguing that stopping work to do something else and stating that it does NOT affect the timeline of the previous work is just silly. You're cleaning your car and you stop to clean your bike and you say cleaning your bike did not push back the time when you would finish cleaning your car?


Originally Posted By: Troll
Originally Posted By: - Ice
And there is!! Just not in DCS. Trust me, buddy, I wish there was an alternate ED reality.

And this is so fascinating... Your view is the only valid one.
"I wish I was wrong, but I'm not" Fabulous!

Unfortunately, I post my view and my reasoning behind it. You just seem to want to attack my view but provide no reasoning for your own.
"I'm right because [reasons]"
"Nope, you're wrong"
"I don't think so because [reasons]"
[sarcasm]"Ah, your view is the only correct one"[/sarcasm]



Originally Posted By: Troll
Originally Posted By: - Ice
We don't know, you don't know, nobody knows. But using common sense, what does that tell you about "work" and "getting distracted"? Interesting how you've been avoiding this fact all along.

Avoiding? I have addressed it several times.
The crux is how do we know ED is distracted by DLC?

Because who accepts, examines, tests, and approves DLC? Western Union? The President of the United States? Yo' momma?


Originally Posted By: Troll
I'm suggesting that there may be ED staff that can devote time for DLC, without interrupting development of DCS. Why is this suggestion invalid? Because it doesn't coincide with your opinion? Ok, besides that, then.

And what exactly are these ED staff doing when there is no DLC to test or approve of? Just sit in the coffee room?
If yes, then they're not earning their pay. They just sit around, using up ED's limited resources, with no work to show for it.
If no, meaning they do other work, then we're right back to where we started. They have to stop their work to review DLC and therefore delay their original work. Either way does not look good for ED simply because they choose to be "distracted" by the DLC.
Tell me again how your suggestion is valid?


Originally Posted By: Troll
And even if you're right, how do we know that a little distraction will delay the progress? Is it possible they approve overtime for DLC, that otherwise wouldn't be used for regular development? I would imagine they work office hours in Russia as well. Why can't this be the case?

Please, please, PLEASE cite me one example, just one... JUST ONE where a "distraction" did not cause a delay in a project's timeline. I'd love to use that on my manager who argues even a 15 minute coffee break is delaying the work for the day.

Also, you are suggesting that ED will pull people for overtime to test and approve DLC but will not pull people for overtime to make sure they meet their deadlines?


Originally Posted By: Troll
Edit: Ever heard this: "We've got some extra production. I need 3 guys to pull an extra shift tonight" Happens all the time in other production branches.
Extra production that lead to extra income, justifies extra work hours that otherwise wouldn't be budgeted.

Ever hear of this: "We got some extra bugs to squash, we need 3 guyst to pull an extra shift tonight." Doesn't seem to happen in ED's production branches, otherwise we'd be having totally different discussions in that area!

Extra bug squashing leads to happier customers who will recommend your product by word-of-mouth which leads to extra income and a more loyal, satisfied customer base.

Are we seeing this happening? No? Then why expect it to happen in other areas?


Originally Posted By: Troll
Originally Posted By: - Ice
Your unwillingness or inability to view the negative points and keep on insisting on the irrelevant positive points (my car is white! did I say that already? I also love driving it!) makes me doubt whether you're reading the same thread.

I do acknowledge the negative points. The negative point is that DCS development is slower than we would like. I totally agree, and have said so before. This is what's important. It's not important to guess why they're late. It's not important to make slanderous statements about inability and incompetence, based on subjective opinions without substance. Thats just being mean.

SO we agree that DCS development is slower than what would be expected plus reasonable allowances. Good. We're on the same page there.

Why are they late? That is not important to you? Then they release a product.... full of bugs. So they release a late product that is buggy and none of that is important to you?

"Slander" is making false statements made to damage someone's reputation. Calling a spade what it is is not slander. They are incompetent. Sure, they have released a working product. But there is no cohesion at all with their modules. WWII aircraft with no WWII theatres or assets, that sort of thing. They release modules that are buggy and then move on the next module and leave the first one without significant progress for a significant amount of time. Where is the slander in that?


Originally Posted By: Troll
And like someone believing strongly in astrology, Parad-Ice believe so strongly in their own opinions, that everybody else must be wrong.

No. I am mature enough to say that you COULD be right. However, you are failing miserably to support your opinions and instead, you attack us for having a different opinion from yourself.


Originally Posted By: Troll
But really... There's a limit to the madness. You will never ever admit there's even a remote chance that someone like me could have a point, and you seem to thrive on hanging around this forum, dissing ED.

We are allowed to voice our opinions, are we not? I thrive on the SimHQ forums, yes, but I post in other areas as well, not just DCS, and my opinions on those other areas are different. As for your point, make it. But be prepared to defend it, especially on "hot" issues like these. You can't just cry for the WAAAAHmbulance.


Originally Posted By: Troll
I'll just enjoy some VR dogfighting in DCS, while I wait for the next iteration of the software, the F-14 and the Viggen. Flightsimming have never been better. Furthermore, ED is actually working towards making it even better still...

Sure, enjoy your VR. Flightsimming has indeed never been better, but not all of it, not even a significant chunk of it is because of ED.

ED may be working towards making their product better, but other developers are actually SHOWING the fruits of their work better and faster than a supposedly dedicated group of guys called Eagle Dynamics.


#4301668 10/08/16 08:59 AM
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 623
S
Professional scapegoat
Member
Professional scapegoat
Member
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 623


And here little children we see a picture of Trolls diplomacy dyke.

Originally Posted By: Troll
Extra production, though, brings with it extra income, and justifies extra work.


I have stated this for at least 3 years now, but it is just pointless.

That is because you forget about the ultimate axiom: ED are idiots, ergo everything they do is just wrong. Their product is great, but because ED are idiots, even their great product is not great.

Yeah, you heard me.

Last edited by Sobek; 10/08/16 12:09 PM.
Paradaz #4301673 10/08/16 10:28 AM
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,922
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,922
Extra production means additional expense and additional resources required. Additional income is not guaranteed but any business would make that call based on balance and risk against turning a profit.

If you're relating the example above to this thread then additional campaigns may well mean extra income, but that isn't what is being discussed/disputed. Regardless of whether additional funds are generated many of us think the additional workload is not helping the core development progress.

Also, the additional funds that these campaigns generate could equally be lost further in the timeline should additional testing be required to ensure their compatibility and functionality within 2.5.


On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
Paradaz #4301692 10/08/16 02:22 PM
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 797
L
Member
Member
L Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 797
As I have read thru this thread and witnessed how the fan(atics) get on all I could think about
was this scene from a TV show



Its pretty pointless trying to reason with them, reason is what is lacking



Ferengi Rule of acquisition #1 Once you have their money ... never give it back.

#4301766 10/08/16 11:01 PM
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 47
Z
Junior Member
Junior Member
Z Offline
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 47
Originally Posted By: Troll
But some have to make a big stink about anything they believe proves their opinion, that ED sux, so they find "proof" of this everywhere.

And the funny part is that they don't see this themselves smile

Those people are usually called "Conservatives".... rolleyes

Zoomie13 #4301769 10/08/16 11:13 PM
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 11,944
Likes: 141
C
Administrator
Veteran
Administrator
Veteran
C Online: Cool
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 11,944
Likes: 141
Originally Posted By: Zoomie13
Originally Posted By: Troll
But some have to make a big stink about anything they believe proves their opinion, that ED sux, so they find "proof" of this everywhere.

And the funny part is that they don't see this themselves smile

Those people are usually called "Conservatives".... rolleyes


This isn't the place to drag political leanings into it.


"praemonitus, praemunitus"
"We in America have no interest in being polite and orderly caretakers of the West’s managed decline." - Secretary of State Marco Rubio
[Linked Image]
What we agreed to abide by in these forums!
CB's Tips for Potentially Contentious Forum Discussions
CyBerkut #4301772 10/08/16 11:24 PM
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,042
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,042
Originally Posted By: CyBerkut
Originally Posted By: Zoomie13
Originally Posted By: Troll
But some have to make a big stink about anything they believe proves their opinion, that ED sux, so they find "proof" of this everywhere.

And the funny part is that they don't see this themselves smile

Those people are usually called "Conservatives".... rolleyes


This isn't the place to drag political leanings into it.


Don't worry. The comments also apply to Star Trek fans, Star Wars fans, *insert name* video game fans, sports fans, folks who do/don't believe in aliens, and almost any other group with an opinion about something. wink

Of course, the folks that don't believe in Bigfoot, are just plain wrong.

rofl

Last edited by cichlidfan; 10/08/16 11:26 PM.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
#4301775 10/08/16 11:42 PM
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,922
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,922
Originally Posted By: Troll

Quite.
This thread, "Campaign after Campaign - ED's new focus" serves as a good example.
Because ED release or promote a few campaigns, that's their new focus... And further in the thread that makes them stupid and incompetent, because it causes delays, and what not.

The logic just isn't there.


Nope, ED have proved they are incompetent long before payware campaigns started getting released thick and fast.

How can ED be anything but incompetent? They have never released a single product on time. Never. We're not talking about days or weeks with their delays either we are talking multiple years for several of their products and 2.5 is just one of them. they got this release so badly wrong that they obviously felt the need to release 'something' after promising so much about the new engine that it put them into a position of multiple concurrent development streams with various add-ons that only work/function with one of those branches.

Why, oh why then would a company that cannot hit their own release dates take on even more work when they are already spread so thinly and have pretty much every single one of their products with exception to the A10C and Blackshark 2 in a state of alpha/beta or unfinished. Why would they take on more work that will only need to be revisited and retested when the core engine is updated and becomes stable? It will only have one outcome.....more expense and more resources required to test/integrate/fix in the long run, so this makes the initial campaign profit/income a false economy. If ED actually need the extra income at this point just to bankroll the 2.5 related work then it's another shining example of incompetence in their planning. No business takes on work that they cannot profit from, it's financial suicide. It's literally day 1, week 1 in business. It's the first question that is asked when looking at a project - is it profitable. Given that the functionality of 2.5 has been delayed for so long then just imagine how far over-budget this work must be....literally years of extra man-hours. An example of incompetent planning, an example of under-estimating the development, integration and testing required.

As per the very first page of this thread, I wondered if it is down to quick profit because ED themselves can publish 3rd party campaigns with little work from themselves...however, there is still some effort required as they are not just spectators and given that they currently have these multiple branches and their own history of not being able to deliver on time why would they allow all this extra content when it will all need to be revisited as the core engine is still not stable and we've seen over time how changes to the core engine (and they're currently in the midst of a big change) consistently breaks features and functionality along the way.

The definition of incompetence is to 'the inability to do something successfully'. As mentioned above, the 'something' that ED have trouble with is the ability to deliver anything on time. As they are consistent in this regard there is a good chance their planning and appreciation of the size of the task is somewhat lacking. Some companies do have delayed software releases but I seriously can't think of any that have the same track record as ED - it's quite honestly shocking. This 2.5 build that we're currently waiting for is one of the products that was supposed to be released years ago and has had many, many delays. I'm really not sure how anyone can try and justify or argue that ED aren't incompetent because the delays are facts, this isn't just based on opinion or a big stink based on anyone trying to find proof that ED 'sux' as alluded to in Troll's last post.

ED undoubtedly have the ability to release quality software, that isn't up for dispute (although there are still some areas for concern whereby bugs go unfixed after being identified)....however releasing quality does not suddenly wipe untimely delays under the carpet. I'd be very interested to hear why ED aren't incompetent in their planning and release phases, I'd be very interested to hear how their ability to hit their own release dates are successful.


On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#4301830 10/09/16 09:48 AM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,082
-
Veteran
Veteran
- Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,082
Originally Posted By: Troll
No, it is not pointless, because it goes to show that DCS is quite enjoyable in its current form. It is a working product today. No, not 100%, but good enough that thousands of flightsimmers enjoy DCS every day.

Sure, but we were not debating whether DCS is enjoyable. Is it a working product? Sure. Is it enjoyable? For many, yes. If you want to lase a target from Angels 15 on you A-10C, or ripple-fire Mavericks at a column of tanks, it's fun. If you want to do a guns attack on a BMP, that may be another story. You do have a point, but it has nothing to do with the other points we were talking about, therefore irrelevant and pointless to talk about it here.

Originally Posted By: Troll
Originally Posted By: - Ice

I'm sorry then, but arguing that stopping work to do something else and stating that it does NOT affect the timeline of the previous work is just silly. You're cleaning your car and you stop to clean your bike and you say cleaning your bike did not push back the time when you would finish cleaning your car?

The logic was, that if you have grown tired of washing your car, and need a break anyway, you could just as well clean the bike. I know, the analogy sucks, but it was yours. wink

The logic was that you want to finish washing your car as soon as possible so that you can move on to doing other chores. The logic was that the bike cleaning could've been done LATER, after the car cleaning was finished. The logic was that after cleaning the bike AND hopefully finishing cleaning the car, you'll have to clean the bike AGAIN so why clean the bike now?

Originally Posted By: Troll
It happens all the time. Have you never been so fed up with a computer game, that you almost threw the PC out of the window because you couldn't get past that mission? So you took a break from that game, and watched a movie and then came back to the game and solved the mission. Without that movie break, you would be sitting in front of your PC until dawn, without ever beating that mission. So, taking a break actually made you finish the game mission sooner.

Sure, your argument stands if you are just playing for personal entertainment, if there are no external interests involved. However, suppose you announce you'll be Twitch-streaming your game at 5pm, but you've been playing all day and got so frustrated with it.... 5pm comes around an you don't show up to the stream. You do show up hours later and your excuse was that "you went and watched a movie so watch me now how I solve the mission." Totally different things.

Originally Posted By: Troll
I'm not saying this is the case, with ED, but it's a totally plausible reasoning. One I'm told must be wrong...

Totally plausible, but wrong because you're not taking all the factors into account. You may be right for other companies or for other instances, but not now in ED's case, unfortunately.

Originally Posted By: Troll
Originally Posted By: - Ice

Unfortunately, I post my view and my reasoning behind it. You just seem to want to attack my view but provide no reasoning for your own.

I'm not attacking you. I don't feel you're attacking me.

Labelling it "Parad-Ice constellation" is starting to get personal. I'm not calling it the "Troll-Sobek hallucination," am I?

Originally Posted By: Troll
I'm just saying that why ED is late, is not the issue. Why is it so important to find a reason for why ED is late?

Because we're trying to establish whether or not ED is learning from it's past mistakes. Being late due to [reason 1] once or twice is acceptable. Being consistently late due to [reason 1] 10 years later is another thing. And let's not hide the fact that ED is consistently late. That's why we're asking.

Originally Posted By: Troll
Originally Posted By: - Ice
Please, please, PLEASE cite me one example, just one... JUST ONE where a "distraction" did not cause a delay in a project's timeline. I'd love to use that on my manager who argues even a 15 minute coffee break is delaying the work for the day.

Why do you think there are breaks in the first place? Here's a bunch...

Those are examples of a proper "taking a break." Like stopping from your work on the Excel spreadsheet to have a cup of coffee. Like stopping from studying for your exams to have an hour or two to catch up with friends. Stopping work from Core DCS to work on DLC DCS is like stopping from your work on the Excel spreadsheet to write your monthly report for your boss or stopping from studying for your Chemistry exams to study for your History exams.

Try again.

Originally Posted By: Troll
Originally Posted By: - Ice
Also, you are suggesting that ED will pull people for overtime to test and approve DLC but will not pull people for overtime to make sure they meet their deadlines?

No, because of how you set up a work budget.
Remember, because they're late, the work budget is already stressed. It's set up in relation to the projected income. If a product is late, the work (expense) budget increase, but the projected income does not. You're pouring money out. Pulling extra shifts cost more than regular work hours, so you don't do that unless there's a penalty deadline.

Extra production, though, brings with it extra income, and justifies extra work.

You make it so easy, Troll.
So DCS will not pull people for overtime to meet their deadlines because there is no more budget and the product is already "sold."
They will, however, approve of overtime work for a new product that they can sell.

So they are not willing to pay for the extra work to fix and release an "already paid for" product but they'll stumble all over themselves to get more money out of the customer. Either way, ED does not come out in good light.

Try again.

Originally Posted By: Troll
Originally Posted By: - Ice

SO we agree that DCS development is slower than what would be expected plus reasonable allowances. Good. We're on the same page there.

We have always agreed on that. I'm just questioning the importance of the reasons for it.

See reply above.

Originally Posted By: Troll
Originally Posted By: - Ice
Why are they late? That is not important to you? Then they release a product.... full of bugs. So they release a late product that is buggy and none of that is important to you?

No. Yes, if what you wrote was true, it would be more important.
They already have a product. It has bugs, but is far from full of them.
We're just waiting for the next update. An update of a product that already exist, and works well enough to be enjoyed today.

They already have a product but they are promising a better one, but this one, like before, is late. Just because the bugs do not get in the way of the style you want to play does not mean it does not get in the way of the style others want to play. Some people may never see a bug or notice it, but for others it may be a make-or-break deal. But then again, "works well enough to be enjoyed" is not the reason we're discussing DCS here.

Originally Posted By: Troll
Originally Posted By: - Ice
They are incompetent. *SNIP* Where is the slander in that?

Really..? biggrin
Ok! Because it has nothing to do with competence. They have already shown they are competent enough to make one heck of a flightsim.
Arguments presented in this thread supports the opinion that because EDs production is late, means they do not know what they'e doing, and must be incompetent, because they release DLC.

They're competent enough to make a flightsim, yes. They're not competent enough to have a proper plan of how they roll out their products (modern, then WWII, then Korean-era? Really? When will DCS Sopwith Camel come out?), they're not competent enough to have proper bug squashing support for their products, heck, they're not competent enough not to break their own tutorial missions between patches!

They are incompetent because they do not have focus, they still don't know how to plan for how long a development will take, and they can't even take constructive criticisms in their own forum! This is what we are talking about, not whether DCS is "enjoyable" for flightsimming.

Originally Posted By: Troll
You think that because ED sell DLC, and the development of DCS is late, the latter must be caused by the former.

That's a logical fallacy...

No. Development of DCS is late whether they got "distracted" by DLC or not. Being "distracted" by DLC only makes things worse. The former exists without or even before the latter came about.

Originally Posted By: Troll
I have shown plausible, valid, options why ED may be running late for other reasons, and that DLC may not have anything to do with them being late.

Sorry, where exactly is "that DLC may not have anything to do with them being late"???
Like I said, Core DCS is late already. DLC did not make them late. DLC will, however, make them even more late.

Originally Posted By: Troll
Originally Posted By: - Ice
No. I am mature enough to say that you COULD be right. However, you are failing miserably to support your opinions and instead, you attack us for having a different opinion from yourself.

Thank you! That's the first time I've seen you acknowledge that in this discussion.
And no, I'm not failing to support my opinions, nor am I attacking you.

See "Parad-Ice" term above.
A broken clock is still correct twice a day, so you COULD be right. That's why I'm asking you to try again.

Sobek #4301832 10/09/16 09:55 AM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,082
-
Veteran
Veteran
- Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,082
Originally Posted By: Sobek
And here little children we see a picture of Trolls diplomacy dyke.

And here, Troll, is an example of something that adds nothing to the discussion at all. The point may be correct, but it is irrelevant.

Originally Posted By: Sobek
That is because you forget about the ultimate axiom: ED are idiots, ergo everything they do is just wrong. Their product is great, but because ED are idiots, even their great product is not great.

You may want to re-read parts of this thread again.

I'll make it slightly easier for you because after all, you may need a break yourself as well: ED are idiots. The way they go about things are wrong. Their product is great, but because ED are idiots, they release their product late and even they themselves break their products and then take forever to fix it again.

#4301834 10/09/16 10:01 AM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,082
-
Veteran
Veteran
- Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,082
Originally Posted By: Troll
This thread, "Campaign after Campaign - ED's new focus" serves as a good example.
Because ED release or promote a few campaigns, that's their new focus... And further in the thread that makes them stupid and incompetent, because it causes delays, and what not.

Er, no. ED has trouble focusing on Core DCS as it is. They're having trouble getting it out on time. DLCs, while it may not be their "new focus," does nothing at all with helping them focus on Core DCS. It is not the cause of the delay, but it is the cause of ADDITIONAL delay.

That is the logic there. The funny part is that you guys don't see this even though we're already pointing it out to you.


Originally Posted By: Troll
Correlation does not imply causation.

Where was this implied?

Paradaz #4301853 10/09/16 01:03 PM
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 30
M
Junior Member
Junior Member
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 30
ED was always late and they ARE late again. So what is the thing you "ED-Guys" try to defend if the people say ED should focus on the main problems and not "waste" their time with "sidekicks"?
Right now I have the feeling ED themselves wait with the bug fixing till the final engine is out (missiles fix incoming after 3+ years of nothing?).
If you then see the �we have something new to sell to you� thing �every weekend�, you can�t really believe why the rest of the game development last so long!?
The funny thing is to think about how many times the "ED-MODs" would have banned other people in the ED Forum for acting like they do here in this forum?
Very personal attacks I would say and without any reason because the people discussing about ED and not about them.
Sobek and Troll show very well which kind of persons they are. But nothing new. ;-)

- Ice #4301882 10/09/16 03:26 PM
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 623
S
Professional scapegoat
Member
Professional scapegoat
Member
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 623
Originally Posted By: - Ice
Originally Posted By: Sobek
And here little children we see a picture of Trolls diplomacy dyke.

And here, Troll, is an example of something that adds nothing to the discussion at all. The point may be correct, but it is irrelevant.


Hmm, coming from the author of this huge heap of content

Originally Posted By: - Ice
Originally Posted By: LOF_Rugg
Originally Posted By: Force10
It doesn't need to be stated over and over again that it's just their opinion.


That's YOUR opinion.........

Sorry, you left it open. biggrin


OMG, this is just golden!! Luckily, I didn't get any drink on my keyboard!

To Rugg, I bow down before your greatness!
kneeldown


that really does mean a lot to me. clapping

Member01 #4301902 10/09/16 05:04 PM
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 623
S
Professional scapegoat
Member
Professional scapegoat
Member
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 623
Originally Posted By: Member01
The funny thing is to think about how many times the "ED-MODs" would have banned other people in the ED Forum for acting like they do here in this forum?


I don't see any ED mods posting in this thread lately. Do you?

Originally Posted By: Member01

Very personal attacks I would say and without any reason because the people discussing about ED and not about them.


Personal attacks? Where? You sure you're not trying to play the victim card here?

Originally Posted By: Member01

Sobek and Troll show very well which kind of persons they are. But nothing new. ;-)


So what is this attempt at character assassination then?

Last edited by Sobek; 10/09/16 05:09 PM.
#4301937 10/09/16 07:52 PM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,082
-
Veteran
Veteran
- Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,082
Originally Posted By: Troll
Originally Posted By: - Ice
Labelling it "Parad-Ice constellation" is starting to get personal. I'm not calling it the "Troll-Sobek hallucination," am I?

Come ON, Ice... Parad-Ice... It's a play with words. Read it out loud, if you have to. Parad...Ice. Parad...ice. PARADICE! Humor! Look it up biggrin
Did you really not get that one? I don't believe that for a second! Maybe you should tag along in my

Originally Posted By: - Ice
WAAAAHmbulance


Or do you prefer your white car..? rofl

Also, did you just compare 'constellation' to 'hallucination'?
A constellation is usually used to describe a group. Literally a group of stars.

I got the play on words. I did not find it funny.


Originally Posted By: Troll
Originally Posted By: - Ice
Stopping work from Core DCS to work on DLC DCS is like stopping from your work on the Excel spreadsheet to write your monthly report for your boss or stopping from studying for your Chemistry exams to study for your History exams.


https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/02/110208131529.htm
Quote:
Brief mental breaks will actually help you stay focused on your task!


So actually breaking up from coding, to go play a little flightsim (how do you test a mission or campaign?) would be just that, and not some terrible timeconsuming distraction. Doesn't have to be, at least.

Again, yes, a break from a task to relax and recharge batteries and re-focus can be beneficial.

A break from a task to do another task? Doubtful.


Originally Posted By: Troll
Originally Posted By: - Ice
So they are not willing to pay for the extra work to fix and release an "already paid for" product but they'll stumble all over themselves to get more money out of the customer. Either way, ED does not come out in good light.

You didn't get it.
They already have a plan for fixing bugs and develop their sim. Yeees they do, Ice. And they're following this plan. smile
DLC come on top of this. Extra. They already know they're developing updates and fixing bugs. That's not extra work.

If they do have a plan and they're following the plan, maybe they need to make and follow another plan.
I'm sure they also have a plan and are following said plan for the Core DCS development and release. We all know how that's working out for them.

As for "DLC come on top of this," yes, it is extra. Does ED really have extra resources for DLC?
If yes, what are they doing when there's no DLC to test?


Originally Posted By: Troll
Originally Posted By: - Ice
Like I said, Core DCS is late already. DLC did not make them late. DLC will, however, make them even more late.

A quote from the original post: "Campaigns may be good....however not at the expense of the focus that is required for DCS World."

So, this thread deals with focus required for DCSW is expended on campaigns. And I'm trying to show that maybe it isn't.
But that doesn't put ED in such a bad light as you would like, so naturally, I'm wrong. smile

How are you showing that the focus (or resources) expended on campaigns (or DLC) do not affect the focus (or resources) required for Core DCS? By saying that they'll pull extra manpower for it? Is that all you have? By saying "maybe it isn't"?


Originally Posted By: Troll
Maybe you should try to understand again..?
Because no matter how hard I try to explain this to you, you don't want to understand.

I'm trying to. Maybe you should start making sense. You are quoting studies about people made to focus on a repetitive task for 50 minutes. I'm quite sure coding isn't "repetitive."


Originally Posted By: Troll
Thank you for that very descriptive summary. Your opinions of ED are not coloured by these feelings..? Not even a little bit? Still manage to see the whole picture, do you? wink

Hopefully, that explains it a bit better for you. Also, that was a statement of fact, not of feelings. They release their products late and break previously-working items. There is no feelings attached to that at all.


Originally Posted By: Troll
Originally Posted By: Member01

If you then see the �we have something new to sell to you� thing �every weekend�, you can�t really believe why the rest of the game development last so long!?

So, in your opinion... How much delay have these 9 campaigns delayed DCS..? Out of all the months of delay, I mean..? smile

You are asking him for a number?? AFTER you yourself said this:
Originally Posted By: Troll
Ah! How certain I am in percentage terms..! Ok!

Well, that's a totally different ballgame. I'm absolutely 100% certain that I'm between 0-100% certain that ED will release 2.5 in this year, in percentage terms...

[<snip!>I have no idea how far they are in the development, so any prediction from me would be 100% guesswork.


We may not be certain how much delays the DLCs have affected the release; I doubt ED themselves know. However, when a project is ALREADY delayed, what justification is there for entertaining "distractions"? (note I did not say "taking breaks," as we are talking about two different things here)

#4302026 10/10/16 07:18 AM
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 47
Z
Junior Member
Junior Member
Z Offline
Joined: Apr 2015
Posts: 47
Originally Posted By: Troll
YOU decide who you hate or love, in life. Choose wisely.
Love is seldom wasted, because it will give you so much in return, but hatred is always a waste, because it drains you.

DCS/ED/SimHQ etc. is all small stuff. If you have to waste your energy on labelling people "stupid", "Idiot", "Incompetent", do so when it really matters.

And if you don't agree that this is the small stuff, I would advice you to re-evaluate your priorities.

Well said!!

#4302040 10/10/16 11:01 AM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 4,841
R
Senior Member
Senior Member
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 4,841
Originally Posted By: Troll
YOU decide who you hate or love, in life. Choose wisely.
Love is seldom wasted, because it will give you so much in return, but hatred is always a waste, because it drains you.

DCS/ED/SimHQ etc. is all small stuff. If you have to waste your energy on labelling people "stupid", "Idiot", "Incompetent", do so when it really matters.

And if you don't agree that this is the small stuff, I would advice you to re-evaluate your priorities.



Jesus Troll, you didn't get anything of that was told to you, did you??


This is NOT "hate" or "hatred" or whatever you're accusing us (the ones that have a critical "eye" on ED's work), this is actually "worry" or "concern" that ED's current "plan of action" (if there is any concise plan of action) is just "messy" or just "confuse" which could even mean the end of this company on the near future, this if the devs refuse to learn from their mistakes and act accordingly (which for me, it's more than clear that won't happen anytime soon).
This is actual "worry" or "concern" that ED which with it's limited resources (this is pretty much the only thing that we apparently agree on - That ED has very limited resources!) spread so thin that all these very different DCS modern/WWII/Korea aircraft and other "DLCs" will never be finished as well as they will never fix important core issues and above all (and IMO) that they will never finish a proper scenario (with maps, unit sets, etc...) in order to play the purchased aircraft (again the example of WWII and Korea War era aircraft) in a realistic scenario.
If there's something which I believe most people have more love to than spending their money on their favourite hobby is to actually spend their money on priorities, namely on stuff that actually WORKS!
"Stuff that actually works" and ED/DCS only seems to apply or combine and barely so in the oldest DCS modules: BS2, A-10C and I would even say the Huey (despite many complains that even the Huey have some important features missing despite being considered a full-release version!). All other DCS modules simply do not work as they should with a varied degree of non-functionality between those other DCS modules.

Worse even, not only ED and/or the so called "third-party" are releasing unfinished Alpha/Beta aircraft modules which for what's worth may never be finished (just look at the DCS Mi-8 for example!) but now for the most recent aircraft modules you even have to buy a separate DLC campaign in order to play with the newly purchased aircraft (For example the DCS F-5E if I'm not mistaken)!

This is the recipe for disaster! Any other company building any other kind of stuff and that would act like ED had been acting for quite some time would already have GONE BANKRUPT!

By maintaining this same "stance" I don't believe that ED will last much longer. And I when this happens (note that this is a "when" and not an "if" this again if ED doesn't change its stance/behaviour in the meantime) I just ask you one thing:
- Blame yourself and others like yourself which seem to "narrowmindingly" follow ED, instead of blaming the ones that said: "I told you so"!

Resuming, I won't and I refuse give blank checks to anyone! Specially anyone which work I just cannot currently trust and this certainly includes ED!


After all this and if you can't understand what I and others are saying, all I can ask is:
Do you need me to draw you a picture or something? Jezz....

Paradaz #4302044 10/10/16 11:37 AM
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 12
C
Junior Member
Junior Member
C Offline
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 12
No DCS module is ever complete, always something to model and do better forever in simulations.
We get to fly the best simulation on pc available now, some of the hardest to model on pc is flight.
Yes long beta's, but lots to test no, help with the community.
Cutting edge technology, inventing the new technology for sims. Long development times, many many rewrites.
More advanced systems modeling compared to any other sim, ED set the bar too high?
Hard to reach and never quite finished, is great simulations and that is why it is great because of bar height.

#4302131 10/10/16 04:10 PM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,082
-
Veteran
Veteran
- Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,082
Originally Posted By: Troll
Originally Posted By: - Ice

I got the play on words. I did not find it funny.

Ok... Hop on then.

You talk about feelings -- here's one for you: I'm disappointed that that's all you can say to me after what I said. I thought you'd be better than that. **THAT** one is about feelings.


Originally Posted By: Troll
Originally Posted By: - Ice
Does ED really have extra resources for DLC? If yes, what are they doing when there's no DLC to test?

You just proved you haven't understood a word I have written.

You're making the assumption that the people at ED work 24/7. They don't. They're not robots. They work for a living. They get paid to work at ED.
How many hours per week, I don't know. But I'm pretty sure there are room for overtime. And I explained how that works, earlier.

Did I say they were robots? Did I say they work 24/7? No. Don't put words in my mouth.

I do understand what you've said. You're saying ED will not approve of overtime on Core DCS because the budget for THAT is already stretched, but they will approve of overtime on DLCs because that will bring in extra money, correct? Yes or no?

If yes, ED doesn't really look very good.
If no, then explain how I got your statement wrong.

I'll wait.


Originally Posted By: Troll
Originally Posted By: - Ice
How are you showing that the focus (or resources) expended on campaigns (or DLC) do not affect the focus (or resources) required for Core DCS?

I'm not.
I'm showing that focus doesn't HAVE TO be lost. There are ways to cope with extra duties and still maintain productivity.

How do you cope with extra duties and still maintain productivity when EVEN WITHOUT extra duties, ED struggles to keep productivity up? Note that if they were as productive as they thought they'd be, then they'd be able to meet their deadlines. The fact that they're late means they're NOT as productive as they thought they would be. So explain again how doing EXTRA DUTIES will **NOT** affect productivity?

We're going 'round in circles here so I hope you have something good this time.


Originally Posted By: Troll
Originally Posted By: - Ice
I'm trying to. Maybe you should start making sense. You are quoting studies about people made to focus on a repetitive task for 50 minutes. I'm quite sure coding isn't "repetitive."

Anything is repetitive to our brains, if we do it for longer periods of time. Even playing an instrument or writing a book.

Wow. I go to work everyday. I guess you call that "repetitive." An author writes 20 books in his lifetime. I guess you call that "repetitive." A student takes piano lessons for 3 years and then plays the piano for the rest of her life. I guess you call that "repetitive." No wonder we're going 'round and 'round in circles!

I guess each takeoff and landing for you is repetitive as well, eh? Note "repetitive" is defined as: pertaining to or characterized by repetition, containing or characterized by repetition, especially when unnecessary or tiresome with "repitition" defined as: the act of repeating, or doing, saying, or writing something again; repeated action, performance, production, or presentation, the action of repeating something.


Originally Posted By: Troll
Originally Posted By: - Ice
Hopefully, that explains it a bit better for you. Also, that was a statement of fact, not of feelings. They release their products late and break previously-working items. There is no feelings attached to that at all.

Facts. Not feelings. Right. You sure use a lot of harsh words for someone without feelings in the matter...

You confuse "being critical" with "feelings." I'll call a spade a spade. I don't have to make up stories to make ED look bad, they do it themselves. You agree with me that they release products late. You agree with me that their development times could be a bit faster. That is bad enough. You refuse to look at the "why" behind these issues but if you did, they (ED) would look even worse.


Originally Posted By: Troll
Originally Posted By: - Ice
We may not be certain how much delays the DLCs have affected the release; I doubt ED themselves know. However, when a project is ALREADY delayed, what justification is there for entertaining "distractions"? (note I did not say "taking breaks," as we are talking about two different things here)

Not really.
Quote:
Recent studies show that those who give in to some kind of diversion or distraction once an hour perform better than those who just keep at it without a break. After awhile, our brains numb out a bit to the constant stimulation, and we become unable to continuously treat the task as important.

Again, diversion/distraction is to "take a break," ie, grab a cup of coffee, have a relaxing stroll, catch up with friends.

Stopping work on Core DCS to work on DLCs is just shifting tasks; you're still working. Do you stop flying Airplane XYZ to fly Airplane ABC and call that "taking a break"? You may be "taking a break" from flying Airplane XYZ (ie, Core DCS) by flying Airplane ABC (ie, DLC) but really, your still flying (ie, working). I think this is the third time I'm trying to make this point, I do hope you grasp it this time!


Originally Posted By: Troll
Look, Ice. We've danced this dance before...
You actually call other people, whom you know very little about, "idiots". That tells me you're emotionally connected to this subject. That, in turn, tells me you can't view this subject objectively.

What? Calling someone an "idiot" involves emotional attachment? Where'd you get that from?

I see somebody make a dangerous overtake maneuver and almost wipe out the car in front of me, I conclude that the driver is an idiot... and now I'm emotionally connected to the driver or the situation?

I have a 3rd year Nursing student who cannot make the connection between vital signs and medication administration and despite repeated attempts at "guiding the horse to water," she still "refuses to drink" and I conclude that the student is an idiot... and now I'm emotionally connected to the student?

Pfft! screwy


Originally Posted By: Troll
I'll give you a pice of advice, as a parting gift, for I see no point what so ever in continuing this dance with you.

YOU decide who you hate or love, in life. Choose wisely.
Love is seldom wasted, because it will give you so much in return, but hatred is always a waste, because it drains you.

DCS/ED/SimHQ etc. is all small stuff. If you have to waste your energy on labelling people "stupid", "Idiot", "Incompetent", do so when it really matters.

And if you don't agree that this is the small stuff, I would advice you to re-evaluate your priorities.

Thanks for the unsolicited advice, but 1) it has nothing to do with the discussion and 2) it has nothing to do with me at all.

Talking about DCS/ED is done because it is my hobby. A hobby does not mean "it's my entire world." It doesn't mean I can't be critical about it. It also doesn't take much to determine that ED deserves the labels given to them.

If you cannot handle the points I'm making and have to resort to questioning my life's priorities, maybe you should take a break.


Originally Posted By: Troll
I do agree DCS is late.
I don't agree with the way ED does business.
I have the exact same software as everybody else. I.e. unfinished.
I'm also waiting for fixes to modules I have bought and paid for.

However, this does not frustrate me the least. I knew I took a chance when I supported the WWII Kickstarter. Every time I buy early access modules I am aware that the development will take time and that the company (ED or 3rd party) can go broke before the module is finished.
Still, I do think I get my moneys worth. I do...

Were we talking about whether this was "frustrating" or not?
Were we asking about whether anyone go their money's worth?

Here you are again talking about YOU and how you enjoy the sim or not get frustrated or feel you get your money's worth or enjoy the sim on VR. Fair enough and good for you!

However, we were talking about how ED works, how DLCs do nothing but delay development, etc... you seem to miss that discussion every now and again. Having trouble concentrating? Maybe you should take a break.


Originally Posted By: Troll
Then I see people who seem so frustrated with all this, that they even make up reasons to complain at ED. Like "Oh NO, they are making campaigns, while I think they should fix my problems instead".

No. It's more like "there's so many things that need to be fixed now, they shouldn't be adding to stuff they will need to fix later on!" Also, there's no need to "make up" reasons. They're there. They just need pointing out.


Originally Posted By: Troll
They are producing even more content, and this is bad? Personally I think campaigns are great. Even if it the production of them delays 2.5. I mean, how much delay can the development of campaigns actually cause? I have tried to show that the extra delay may not be significant. It certainly doesn't prove ED are idiots/incompetent/in league with the illuminati. wink

The extra delay may not be significant, true. After all, what's 2-3 more months of waiting for a product that's already late by a few years??!! This reasoning proves ED are geniuses and totally **NOT** incompetent at all! Besides, delays happen all the time and in ED's case, delays happen. All. The. Time!!


Originally Posted By: Troll
Yes, I used "Hate" in my last post, and that's a strong word. But I was addressing Ice, not you, who I believe is very upset by all this. He sure seem like he is, by the way he expresses himself.
But even if we're talking about lesser feelings like "annoyed" or "angry", it still is you who decide how to cope with these feelings.

Like I said, I call it as I see it. I don't have to "hate" it to see it for what it is.


Originally Posted By: Troll
I can't help but thinking that such harsh reactions toward a company making flightsims, must be a reaction to something else. I really expect grownups to be able to cope with setbacks, like those we are experiencing regarding DCS, in a civil manner.

Hahaha!! Troll, on your next flight, try coming to work late and saying you were late because of "traffic." Then try doing that for most (if not all) of your flights for the next few years. Your employer and colleagues will be adults and will cope with your "setbacks" and I'm sure they'll fire you in a civil manner.


Originally Posted By: Troll
But hey, I understand that my view isn't welcome here, so I'll leave it alone.

Your view is welcome, but then it will be scrutinized. You seem to struggle once a counter-point is made, and then start going 'round in circles, then you go on a tangent to talk about feelings and enjoying the sim and how we are wrong because YOU don't find it a waste of time or money or that it works great in VR. Like I said, if it gets too much for you, you may benefit from taking a break from this repetitive task of posting your views and opinions online.

Page 38 of 54 1 2 … 36 37 38 39 40 … 53 54

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,076,588 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1