SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 26 of 54 1 2 … 24 25 26 27 28 … 53 54
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,180
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,180
Originally Posted By: Force10
These 3 releases seemed to be based on military/private projects ported over to consumers. What am I missing? What other DCS level module has been released with just the consumer in mind? I suppose you could make a case for the Edge engine...but it seems to be an engine that allows them to port their private contracts into more than anything else. I'm talking about ED only...3rd party devs for ED aren't what were talking about.


Nevada isn't a mil project, neither is the L-39. They've also made the P-51, and have now taken it upon themselves to do the WW2 project. And again, if they're after mil contracts, why are they developing the F/A-18C? The USMC isn't gonna buy that, they're not planning to have their Legacy Hornets for more than a few years. Only Finland and Switzerland comes to mind flying them, and they're such small customers that they're unlikely to be willing to spend money on a new simulator.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,082
-
Veteran
Veteran
- Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,082
Originally Posted By: Troll
That's true enough... Graphics alone does not make a great sim.

A sim needs immersion.

Good graphics is just one way of creating a suspension of disbelief that immerse the player in a sim. But great graphics and bad framerates are bad for immersion. Flight modeling. Systems modeling. Intuitive controls. You name it! Creating the "feeling of being there" is a tough job for sim developers! It also comes down to your own imagination.
But, like Ice says, ground textures doesn't matter, if there's other stuff keeping you busy and focused.

F4 and its iterations sure have loads of immersion! That's for sure.


Holy sh!t!! Who are you and what have you done with the REAL Troll??!??!?
behindcouch

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 772
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 772
Originally Posted By: Troll
From http://www.thebattlesim.com/about/ we learn that TBS is based on DCS

Quote:

TBS is based on the commercial entertainment software product "Digital Combat Simulator World" (DCS World).


And that they have at least 2 or 3 military contracts.

Quote:
TFC and ED has been the developer of Desk Top Trainer (DTT) simulations for the United States military. Completed projects include:

A-10C DTT. Conversion trainer and procedural trainer for the A-10C PE program. Developed for Suite 5.1, this DTT has been deployed to all active duty, reserve, and ANG A-10C squadrons.
AC-130U DTT. Sensor and weapon operator procedures trainer for the USAF.
UAV Operator Station. Sensor suite developed for the A-10C PE DTT has also been used at Randolph AFB for UAV sensor operators training.

Both projects were delivered on time and on budget.


I guess the last line gave a few people in here a good chuckle ;-)

"New theaters in development: Syria, Crimea, and Afghanistan" Hmmmmm. Now we know why the black sea map is taking so long to modernize and the integration to 2.5 is way over due.
We called it.


DCS Kickstarter
Wags July 2014 "In this July 2014 update, the primary news is in regards to the restructured backer rewards. After a careful review of the older system under RRG, we found it financially unattainable."
Wags October 2017 "the investment vs. generated revenue has been excellent for the World War II aircraft. In fact, the P-51D Mustang has twice the cost effectiveness of the A-10C Warthog."
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,180
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,180
I don't know, they've always been slow. If any work at all has been done on either of those 3 theaters, I think it's very little, and that they're hoping to bag some lucrative mil contracts that would allow them to hire more manpower to actually put real effort into it. They've never said anything to the DCS community about either of those maps, despite A, having a proven track record of telling the community anything, no matter how far off it is, and B, there's no reason for why those maps would be exclusive to any mil customer and unavailable to the DCS customers.

I mean, if you want mil contracts, it probably looks bad if you can only advertise half the Black Sea region, the NTTR, Normandy and the Straits of Hormuz as available/upcoming terrains.

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,498
Likes: 36
F
I'm just a
Senior Member
I'm just a
Senior Member
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,498
Likes: 36
Originally Posted By: scrim


Nevada isn't a mil project


What? We saw video of it up and running in a professional grade simulator years before it was released to us. The P-51 wasn't meant to be a consumer release. It was a pet project one of the programmers was doing just "for fun". It was only after they saw how nice it turned out they decided to release it. This explains why they would release a prop with no adversary and ill fitting in the rest of the DCS world.

WWII was obviously not ED's idea...it was Luthier/RRG...and now it's been pretty stagnate.

Your statement about Nevada not being a private contract is enough for me to not continue this discussion. It seems your just shooting from the hip at this point. If you want to believe ED's made all these decisions with you the consumer in mind...knock yourself out.


Asus TUF Z790 DDR5 plus Wifi
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Intel I7 14700k
32gb Ripjaws DDR5 @6000MHz
Nividia 5060 TI OC 16gb
2 NVMe and various Sata SSD drives 6tb
1200watt Seasonic Vertex PSU
______________________________________________________

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"



Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,632
S
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,632
Nevada was a 3rd party project that fell apart, and was rebooted by ED, and then put on hold while a new graphics engine was developed to facilitate the larger object counts,

it was never a "Military" Project.

as stated before, whether or not professional simulator companies licensed early versions of edge and maybe nevada for their use is completely another story, as they would be able to license an early engine, and complete it themselves (ie Avia TS etc).


The P-51 was Developed by E.D. for private use by The Fighter Collection, it was later released as a retail product.

Last edited by SkateZilla; 06/27/16 03:52 PM.

HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,498
Likes: 36
F
I'm just a
Senior Member
I'm just a
Senior Member
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,498
Likes: 36
I guess I used the word "military" in one of my responses...but as I said in my original post:

Originally Posted By: Force10

I think part of the problem is that ED has private contracts and that's how we end up with some of these decisions.


Nevada was used for a private contract before we received it...correct? I know I saw a video of it up and running in a pro-grade simulator
a couple years ago.


Asus TUF Z790 DDR5 plus Wifi
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Intel I7 14700k
32gb Ripjaws DDR5 @6000MHz
Nividia 5060 TI OC 16gb
2 NVMe and various Sata SSD drives 6tb
1200watt Seasonic Vertex PSU
______________________________________________________

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"



Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 14,410
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 14,410
I remember having bought a Spitfire, a P-47D and a WWII map a while ago...

I wonder if I will get it before 2020.

Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,342
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,342
Using yourself as an example means nothing. I could give my self as an example and that would lead to nowhere. Why do you count more than me?

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 49,716
J
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 49,716
If you're like me, and I know I am...



The Jedi Master


The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,082
-
Veteran
Veteran
- Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,082
Originally Posted By: Remon
Using yourself as an example means nothing. I could give my self as an example and that would lead to nowhere. Why do you count more than me?


So BMS survives because it's old and free and the reasons I have put forward are not valid because they are my reasons? Wow. Maybe I've never been to the BMS forums? Maybe I've never seen/read/talked about how other people fly and why they like BMS? Yes, of course, my reply was based solely on myself; I have no knowledge nor insight from anyone except myself.

So let's try that again.

1. 6DoF pits and TIR support - AF doesn't hold a candle to BMS implementation of this.
2. Theatres - BMS has at least 3 theatres. If "new theatres" aren't a thing, why does DCS only have Black Sea and Nevada?
3. DirectX - if that's really, REALLY important, how is BMS surviving on old DirectX? Why is DCS so bad even with new DirectX? Maybe, just maybe, I dunno, DirectX implementation might not be a factor in how some simmers enjoy their games?

Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 14
R
Junior Member
Junior Member
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 14
Originally Posted By: Tom_Weiss
I remember having bought a Spitfire, a P-47D and a WWII map a while ago...

I wonder if I will get it before 2020.


Don`t get me wrong, but I bnever understood that project. There are so many good and modern ww2 scenario based softwares out there. Why not focusing on something we are really missing. A modern fighter simulation with tons of different modules.

Imagine what could have been developped with the money...

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 14,410
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 14,410
my money ... that is why I would like to see it released.

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,498
Likes: 36
F
I'm just a
Senior Member
I'm just a
Senior Member
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,498
Likes: 36
Originally Posted By: Tom_Weiss
my money ... that is why I would like to see it released.


I feel for ya Tom.

Maybe ED should include some paperwork with the WWII stuff so purchasers can list "next of kin" in case they expire from old age while waiting for their purchase to be released. At least your kids could enjoy it. wink


Asus TUF Z790 DDR5 plus Wifi
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Intel I7 14700k
32gb Ripjaws DDR5 @6000MHz
Nividia 5060 TI OC 16gb
2 NVMe and various Sata SSD drives 6tb
1200watt Seasonic Vertex PSU
______________________________________________________

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"



Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 772
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 772
Originally Posted By: Force10
Originally Posted By: Tom_Weiss
my money ... that is why I would like to see it released.


I feel for ya Tom.

Maybe ED should include some paperwork with the WWII stuff so purchasers can list "next of kin" in case they expire from old age while waiting for their purchase to be released. At least your kids could enjoy it. wink

LMAO. It's hilarious because it's true.
Why were RRG removed from that project? Stacking side by side RRGs and EDs work done on the project. RRG produced more in the one year they were managing the project than ED have produced in the two years they have been managing the project. All I've seen from ED is the finalization of the 109 started by RRG. Oh and some spitfire screenshots. It seems the only thing that's been accomplished in the last year was putting a pilot in the spitfire. Pathetic really. Should have just cancelled it and refunded everybody. Or subcontracted to someone who actually gave a $hit about the customers.


DCS Kickstarter
Wags July 2014 "In this July 2014 update, the primary news is in regards to the restructured backer rewards. After a careful review of the older system under RRG, we found it financially unattainable."
Wags October 2017 "the investment vs. generated revenue has been excellent for the World War II aircraft. In fact, the P-51D Mustang has twice the cost effectiveness of the A-10C Warthog."
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 14,410
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 14,410
as I wrote - at the rate they are going, we will see them releasing it piecemeal by 2200, I mean, 3030 ooops, 2020.

Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 207
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 207
Originally Posted By: - Ice
[quote=Remon][quote=- Ice]
Wow. You're so unable to follow a line of discussion I realize now it's moot to debate you. I thought that was a one-off with another forum member here but apparently it isn't.


/ OT mode on /

Ice, have you ever seen anyone on the ED forums who is able to follow a line of discussion?

- Sure, when you're posting how amazing DCS is, and how ED does a great job. In this case anything is admitted, even posting memes and going totally OT is allowed, and welcome.

- When you post a nasty bug, well, you either get moved to the "wishlist" section, or totally ignored into oblivion.

- It then becomes totally impossible for the ED fanboy to follow any discussion if you dare criticise anything done by ED.


I always find amusing how fanboyism works.

Over at the ED forums in a way you get used to it, everything is of the same "color", because anyone with a different opinion is efficiently banned, dangerous heretics and anarchists are immediately dealt with. I have a laugh every time I read a thread, every 3 posts there's a username with that little red cross next to it (meaning banned). Of course you can never tell why he was banned, because the offending posts are removed in a matter of seconds.

Here on the other hand, fanboys spark a very stark contrast with people that can actually enjoy different sims and debate freely on the strengths and weaknesses of each one, and god forbid, even go as far as comparing DCS with BMS!

You know what? I enjoy DCS. What bothers me is what DCS could be but will not be, unless ED got their act together a little more. There is one thing I learnt very quickly in my job, and is the base of pretty much every commercial activity on the planet: listen to your customers and look at what the competition is doing. ED don't do enough of this. They instead opted to cultivate a sort of sect of followers, while shunning everyone else.

And this is why DCS will never be able to take the role that Falcon 4.0 / BMS always had in the combat sim community.
The Falcon community, with all of its drama, has always been a place where you could feel the need and want for progress. More realism, more options, more of everything. No argument is taboo.

The DCS community on the other hand, is generating bitterness, fanboyism and censorship. It's self-limiting. You can't express your opinions freely because there are people at every corner ready to discredit your post or derail the thread. You can't suggest or want something that ED doesn't approve.
You can't freely discuss the fidelity of A-A missiles, because you're exposing a weakness in DCS and ED will not acknowledge the problem.

Blocking discussion = blocking ideas = blocking progress.

/ OT mode off /

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 14,410
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 14,410
excellent post bkthunder smile

Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 25
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 25
+1 bkthunder

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 14,410
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 14,410
Originally Posted By: Troll
Originally Posted By: Tom_Weiss
excellent post bkthunder smile


You bkthunder fanboi you! biggrin


wink

it is our shared experience smile

Page 26 of 54 1 2 … 24 25 26 27 28 … 53 54

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,080,394 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1