SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Hop To
Page 105 of 442 1 2 … 103 104 105 106 107 … 441 442
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,552
C
Senior Member
Senior Member
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,552
Triumph des Willens (1935)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0025913/

Some of the speeches Hitler and his henchmen Himmler and Speer and Hess gave that were captured in this film just didn't make sense to me.

They were just senseless rants by crazy folks.

Now they were several scenes where you had armed Nazi officers, guards or soldiers standing just within a couple of feet of Hitler.

It's too bad they were ALL brainwashed and NONE of them had the sense of taking out their Luger and put a bullet in the back of Hitler's head.

It would had saved the world 6 years of pain and suffering and unnecessary loss of over 73 million human lives, about 49 millions of those were innocent civilians.

I see this image and I would wonder 2 things:



how many of those loyal fanatics either ended up dying in Russia or didn't survive the war.

I presume that's in Nuremberg where Hitler and his top goons performed most of their crazy rants in front of 10's of 1,000's loyal Nazis.



Is that square/plaza still there?

4/5





Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Originally Posted By: CG2015
I presume that's in Nuremberg where Hitler and his top goons performed most of their crazy rants in front of 10's of 1,000's loyal Nazis.





Presume? The documentary mentions multiple times that the NSDAP Party Congress is being held there. Unless you fell asleep while watching it, it is very obvious from the beginning that it took place in Nurnberg.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,943
K
Hotshot
Hotshot
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,943
Originally Posted By: PV1
Originally Posted By: Murphy

Outstanding movies, in a time when movies out of 'Bollywood' are mostly crap, IMHO.


"Bollywood", you keep using that word, I do
not think it means what you think it means.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bollywood




He may not know what it means but it's true that Bollywood movies are crap. wink


It's rare that I see a movie in the theatre more than once. Went to see Batman v Superman for the third time. I don't get why people can't see the character development of the two titular characters; they don't see the inspiration for Luthor's desire to kill Superman. I think it's a fantastic movie with very few quibbles, IMO.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Originally Posted By: knightgames
I think it's a fantastic movie with very few quibbles, IMO.
I'm still on the fence about Eisenberg's performance as Luthor but overall I liked the movie quite a bit.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 27,044
Likes: 26
W
Lifer
Lifer
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 27,044
Likes: 26
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted By: knightgames
I think it's a fantastic movie with very few quibbles, IMO.

I'm still on the fence about Eisenberg's performance as Luthor but overall I liked the movie quite a bit.

I knew he looked familiar but I didn't realize who was playing Lex until I got home and Googled him. I think he brought some of the disturbed part of the character that was always missing from Gene Hackman's portrayal of Lex. I don't think you could ever like Eisenberg's version of him but Hackman's portrayal of him was played more for comedic effect it seemed and not all that dark so he came off as much less offensive as a person.

In the end I think Eisenberg's version was truer to the character that I saw when I read the comics in the 60's and 70's.


Wheels


Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Originally Posted By: wheelsup_cavu

In the end I think Eisenberg's version was truer to the character that I saw when I read the comics in the 60's and 70's.


Wheels
I've not read any of the comics so thanks for this info. I didn't know that Eisenberg's portrayal was truer to the comics.

As for Hackman, he did a fine job as Luthor but yes, the Reeve Superman films were meant to have a quite a bit of comedy and "fun" factor and his portrayal of Luthor reflected that.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 27,044
Likes: 26
W
Lifer
Lifer
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 27,044
Likes: 26
Lex was always the evil genius bordering on psychotic when you read any of the older versions from the 60's, not sure about anything before that era. Superman/boy and Lex were friends at one point in that timeline, Lex had actually saved him as Superboy from a Kryptonite meteor, and I think that is why Superman can't bring himself to kill him.

Something that the movie brought to the fore for me that I never noticed in all the comics I read as a kid was the Batman and Superman's mother and step mother had the same first name of Martha. Googled to see if that was just a recent plot device and saw that I just plain missed that as a kid.


Wheels


Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,943
K
Hotshot
Hotshot
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,943
Originally Posted By: wheelsup_cavu
Lex was always the evil genius bordering on psychotic when you read any of the older versions from the 60's, not sure about anything before that era. Superman/boy and Lex were friends at one point in that timeline, Lex had actually saved him as Superboy from a Kryptonite meteor, and I think that is why Superman can't bring himself to kill him.

Something that the movie brought to the fore for me that I never noticed in all the comics I read as a kid was the Batman and Superman's mother and step mother had the same first name of Martha. Googled to see if that was just a recent plot device and saw that I just plain missed that as a kid.


Wheels



It was a brilliant plot device used based upon an obscure factoid. I loved it. Many thought it was contrived and therefore felt cheap to them but if Superman just said Lex was going to kill his mother it would have had no impact on Batman, nor would it result in Batman saving her should he actually have killed Superman. What do you do with the mother of a flying demon? She must be a witch so you burn her.... as Lex said. Mention Martha and that'll get Batman's attention. After all, Clark was actually a real reporter (something other films and series never really concentrate on) so I'm sure he delved into Wayne's history and one of the first factoids that stuck out was the commonality between the two mothers.


EDIT: regarding Jesse's version of Luthor? These three main characters were in a place of great flux in their lives. Batman was dealing with his own failure to clean Gotham which caused him to become a cruel vigilante. Superman was coming to terms with how he's going to fit in. Will he always be distrusted? Will he always make the best effort and still come up short. Or will he even bother to try and fit in? Lex was coming out from under his father's shadow. He has his own demons regarding power. The library scene was critical in that he's now realizing that he is powerful because of his intelligence and that knowledge and intelligence equals power. He has the libraries of 10,000 worlds at his disposal now. He has the power.

At times I wondered if he over played his ticks and quirks and then other times I thought he was so intimidating it was scary... like when he inserted the candy into the Senator's aide and then licked his own finger. "I'm in control, not you." I do think he had some of the best lines in the movie and his surprise for Holly hunter's senator character was fantastically fun and yet diabolically wicked. Over all I liked him but could understand some of his ticks being off putting.

Last edited by knightgames; 04/27/16 06:24 PM.
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,552
C
Senior Member
Senior Member
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,552
Purple Rain (1984)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087957/

My first viewing of it in 30 years.

It still holds up well and it's still a damn good movie!

5/5

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,368
Likes: 19
C
Veteran
Veteran
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,368
Likes: 19
Donnie Darko http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0246578/

This is a film that I kept seeing pop up in various 'must watch' lists so last night I finally got around to it.I picked the Director's Cut and it kept me glued to the screen all the way through.I was surprised to see that it had a budget of just $3.7 million and was filmed over 28 days.

Gripping stuff 4.5/5


If you watch Jaws backwards, it's a heart warming story about a shark that spits out so many people that they have to open a beach.
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Yup, "Donnie Darko" was definitely one of those rare low budget indie films that made a big splash when it first came out and now it's a cult classic.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 20,152
T
Lifer
Lifer
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 20,152
Watched Dirty Grandpa over the weekend, have to admit it was pretty damn funny

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1860213/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 1,536
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 1,536
Saw The Brothers Grimsby over the weekend. It's a pretty corny movie, but there were a couple scenes that had me and my Wife laughing so hard we had tears running from our eyes.

Here's a brief preview of one of the more funnier scenes in the movie


Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,552
C
Senior Member
Senior Member
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,552
The 5th Wave (2016)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2304933/

The latest of the teenage heroines/heroes movies like Hunger Games, Maze Runner, Divergent.

Same old boring stuff - what a waste of talented Chlo� Grace Moretz!

2/5


Dirty Grandpa (2016)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1860213/

This film is so wrong on so many level. DeNiro must be not getting decent offers and he did this movie for the money.

The girl in here, Aubrey Plaza, is not very physically attractive but for some reason she is hot as hell!

2.5/5


Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2975590/

I can see the WB studio executives at a meeting a while back:

"We need to reboot the Batman franchise.

We can't do another origin story because it's been done to death.

We also need to have a sequel to Man Of Steel.

What to do? What to do?

Oh we know! We'll do a Batman Vs. Superman movie even if both characters do not exist in the same DC comics universe: one is in Gotham City, one is in Metropolis.

Well, that's okay. People are so gullible they will pay $$$$ to watch any comic books live movie adaptation."

Now we will get 4 more movies with Aflack as Batman, so soon after Nolan's crappy Dark Knight trilogy.

Oh I am going to go throw up now.

Now even Kilmer and Clooney's turns as Batman beginning to look like an Oscar performance.

1/5

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 6,737
Likes: 1
B
Hotshot
Hotshot
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 6,737
Likes: 1
Captain America: Civil War!

v6,
boNes


"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 27,044
Likes: 26
W
Lifer
Lifer
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 27,044
Likes: 26
When Trumpets Fade: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0135706/
HBO movie about the Hurtgen Forest battle.


Wheels


Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,588
4
Senior Member
Senior Member
4 Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,588
Blade Runner


What kind of car is that? What does it matter? When I drive it, I'm Steve McQueen
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,659
C
Hotshot
Hotshot
C Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,659
wave

Catch 22 and Penny Dreadful


Waiting for : Tarzan, Magnificent 7 and Suicide Squad.

https://youtu.be/Cvql__aMuoQ

https://youtu.be/KzVH2o-EWfw

https://youtu.be/XD_SAHvu7gU

Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,552
C
Senior Member
Senior Member
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,552
Originally Posted By: 462cid
Blade Runner


Which version?

There are 6 of them.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Captain America: Civil War


It surpassed all of my expectations.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Page 105 of 442 1 2 … 103 104 105 106 107 … 441 442

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,078,359 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1