SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,739
O
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,739
Originally Posted By: MFair
We had to warn them that we think a lot faster than we talk.

Hey, that is very much like when we East Frisians talk in "foreign regions".
They always believe we were a bit slow of mind, or even dim - while we have
our fun with them.

My favourite East Frisian joke:

A hectic German from Hessen (they talk double-speed!) comes towards an East Frisian fisherman
and asks him, while his arms perform like propellers:
"Tell me, good man - if I prodeed there, in this direction there, will there be the harbour then?"
The East Frisian fisherman ansers very slow, with a dark voice:
"Yo! But it will also be there, if you don't proceed."


Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,111
Likes: 5
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,111
Likes: 5
Olham, sounds somewhat familiar! Someone asked me after seeing me shoot a pistol off of one of my horses. "Can you shoot a gun off of any horse?" "Oh sure.........at least once!" I replied.


Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 214
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 214
There is a great Canadian ban called The Tragically Hip; One of their songs is called The Dark Canuck.

I highly recommend the Hip to all those who like music. They have some good stuff.

Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,547
Likes: 20
H
Hellshade
Senior Member
Hellshade
Senior Member
H Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,547
Likes: 20
This is awesome guys. Thanks for sharing! cheers


Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,267
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,267
Well mine is my real name. (Rather like Robert Wiggins).

Hey Olham, maybe you can post some more German jokes stirthepot


LG 27" 27mp65 monitor; EVGA GTX970 GPU; AMD Ryzen 3500 CPU; Corsair 750w PSU; MSI X470 mobo

RAF 1966-73 Cpl Engine Fitter (Retd.) Trenchard brat 206th Entry
DBA and systems programmer 1981-2005. Now retired since 2014
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,106
Member
Member
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,106
Like Robert and Jim,I used my real name. In my case I was too lazy to write more than the family name.

Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,420
Member
Member
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,420
Raine I've been curious, is your handle pronounced 'Rain' or 'Rainee'?


Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 514
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 514
Mine chosen back in Red Baron days, when joining my first and only online MP squad, US 95th I believe.
Found the name on a roster from European Air War sim.

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 4,887
Likes: 3
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
Senior Member
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
Senior Member
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 4,887
Likes: 3
.

Originally Posted By: Olham
Originally Posted By: RAF_Louvert
I went with 'Louvert' as a tip of the hat to my now long-departed father...

So, "Louvert" is a first name? Which origin is it?


Olham, that is a question that I asked many times in my youth and the answer I received was always the same: my father's parents made it up. Now that may well be true, but as my paternal grandparents both came from Norway it seems strange that they would create a name that has such a distinctively French feel to it. My father always pronounced it with a hard 'T' at the end and the distinctive Scandinavian drawn out oooo sound, (like a cow going "Mooooo"). Nothing French-sounding about it when said like that.

However, the romantic in me imagines that one of my father's parents was a student of French and they took his name from "L'ouvert" which translates as "The open" but whose meaning is more akin to "the truth". French philosopher Didier Franck describes it thusly:
"L'ouvert constitue l'�tre m�me de l'�tant. Par �tant il faut donc entendre ce qui appartient � l'ouvert, y demeure ou y s�journe � d�couvert, cela m�me que les Grecs nomm�rent "le hors-retrait" : le non-cel�."

Translation:
"The open is the very essence of being. By being so you have to hear what belongs to the open, it remains there, staying discovered, which the Greeks named "the truth" : that which is not concealed."

But again, that is just the romantic in me. smile2

.



[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.
_________________________________________________________________________

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,743
Member
Member
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,743
In Swedish, the word lovart means windward, while l�vart means leeward. The Swedish 'lo' is pronounced like the English 'loo'.

Of course it may not in any way be connected to the name Louvert. In fact I have never heard a Swede or Norwegian go by that name, and you can't avoid encountering Scandinavian names where I live.

Just a thought that came to my mind! smile


"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 3,696
F
Senior Member
Senior Member
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 3,696
I always thought it was the combination of Lou Vert. duh


"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,106
Member
Member
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,106
Originally Posted By: Banjoman
Raine I've been curious, is your handle pronounced 'Rain' or 'Rainee'?


Just like "rain." All the Raines in the world seem to come from North Yorkshire or County Durham in NE England.

Oh, and more than a couple got transported to Australia...

There was a Raine's Battery of Confederate artillery in Lee's Army of Northern Virginia. It was from Leesburg, VA.

Last edited by Raine; 04/10/16 03:40 PM. Reason: All thumbs
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 4,887
Likes: 3
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
Senior Member
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
Senior Member
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 4,887
Likes: 3
.

Originally Posted By: Fullofit
I always thought it was the combination of Lou Vert. duh

Fullofit, you are not the first to have thought that.



Originally Posted By: Hasse
In Swedish, the word lovart means windward, while l�vart means leeward. The Swedish 'lo' is pronounced like the English 'loo'.

Of course it may not in any way be connected to the name Louvert. In fact I have never heard a Swede or Norwegian go by that name, and you can't avoid encountering Scandinavian names where I live.

Just a thought that came to my mind! smile

Yes Hasse, and a good thought too. In Norwegian they are lovart and luvart respectively, but I was told my father's name had nothing to do with either.



Originally Posted By: Raine
Originally Posted By: Banjoman
Raine I've been curious, is your handle pronounced 'Rain' or 'Rainee'?

Just like "rain." All the Raines in the world seem to come from North Yorkshire or County Durham in NE England...

And I imagine that at certain times of the year all the rains in the world seem to come to North Yorkshire and County Durham in NE England.

.


[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.
_________________________________________________________________________

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,739
O
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot
Barmy Baron from Berlin
Hotshot
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,739
Couldn't find "Louvert" as a Norwegian first name either, but at least I found people
who carry this first name:

American people with first name Louvert

I like the "romantic interpretation", Lou, and I firmly believe that true happyness
can only be found, if one is open towards the thruth, and does not try to deny it,
to fake it, or to violate people who tell it.


Vice-President of the BOC (Barmy OFFers Club)
Member of the 'Albatros Aviators Club' - "We know how to die with Style!"
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 447
Likes: 4
L
Member
Member
L Offline
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 447
Likes: 4
Lofty is a nickname bestowed upon me by some British friends when I lived in the British Virgin Isls. It's supposed to be for a tall person, while I am 5'3" / 162 cm.

(the 'c' is my last initial)

Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,420
Member
Member
Joined: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,420
Raine, I knew about Raine's battery since I'm also a huge Civil war history fan. Now I curious to know, are you related to that famous historical Raine?


Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Polovski, Winding Man 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,077,662 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1