SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,708
P
Senior Member
Senior Member
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,708
You are welcome. Lots of good info, and I think it is fair to say he certainly didn't find the experience underwhelming.. quite the opposite actually.


Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.
Carl Sagan
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 6,370
Likes: 1
S
Hotshot
Hotshot
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 6,370
Likes: 1
I really was not that interested in VR...

However, I did get a free Gear VR with my Galaxy S7...I have to say I am kind of sold. If even the gear vr with me using the phone as a display is this impressive, then we have something to truly look forwaed to with the more advanced versions...

But personally i am leaning more to Playstation VR...i dont need to have a high end computerto run it. Judt the PS4


"No power in the 'verse can stop me!!!"
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,718
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,718
Originally Posted By: FrenchToast
1,149.00 Canadian dollars...

%$W$/$%* exchange rate



FT


I agree. It's unfair that y'all get more money for doing stuff than we do.

If a Canadian and I both do the same job, I get just one US dollar and the Canadian gets 1.34 of their dollars.

I mean that's how it works, right?


The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,409
Z
Member
Member
Z Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,409
To go up a level beyond the original topic and into VR in general....

I'm surprised everyone here isn't drooling over the implications of VR.

True it's still kind of "beta", but it just spent literally decades in "alpha" and is just now starting to show it's true colors.

I have seen flightsim VR videos that have completely destroyed any thoughts in my head of dreams like:

1. Multiple projectors.
2. TrackIR somehow combined into that
3. Or building a virtual pit combined with projectors.

I've had projectors (one at a time). Fun, fun stuff for flightsims.

I've had a TrackIR.

People wonder about control issues - guess they've never seen a Leap controller or used voice control - I was using open source voice control back in the early 2000's.

I absolutely concede that VR would just be a counterproductive pain in the butt with more than a few types of games, but for the ones that involve simulating something where IN REAL LIFE YOU'D BE TURNING YOUR HEAD, oh wow...

I mean, you're "IN THE AIRPLANE"!!!!!!!

How freaking cool is THAT?

Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,708
P
Senior Member
Senior Member
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,708
It's extremely cool, and it's only going to get better and cheaper with time. The Leap Motion controller is something I am going to have to look very closely at. It seems like a great addition to a VR headset. There is already functionality with FSX via the FlyInside addon..


Video 1

And after a few months of further development:

Video 2

Kind of neat.


Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.
Carl Sagan
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,409
Z
Member
Member
Z Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,409
Paul Rix - that is exactly what I was talking about - I couldn't remember the name of the addon.

And it's all only going to get better from here.

VR is THE future of flight simulation - period, end of story.

Two dimensional external screens will still have their place - just as physical board games and card games still have their place.

But I just don't get why any flightsim enthusiast would write off VR.

Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,545
T
Hotshot
Hotshot
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,545
I wonder if the Vive camera will allow you to see the stick and MFD panels when you need to reach and touch them. That is the only downside I can see, the lack of seeing the controls.


Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,708
P
Senior Member
Senior Member
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,708
I think that's a possibility Timothy, but ultimately all you will need is a HOTAS and pedals. All the other controls will be accessed in the virtual cockpit in a similar manner to the video above. I think we need to think of controls in a different way than we have before rather than try to tailor VR to accommodate our more traditional setups. Exciting times!


Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.
Carl Sagan
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,545
T
Hotshot
Hotshot
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,545
How would you control the switches otherwise? There are tons and tons of buttons in flight sims.


Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,409
Z
Member
Member
Z Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,409
Originally Posted By: Timothy
I wonder if the Vive camera will allow you to see the stick and MFD panels when you need to reach and touch them. That is the only downside I can see, the lack of seeing the controls.


Paul Rix is totally on point with this - the key word here is "adaptation".

Since I have no plans of using Steam I haven't looked into this Vive thing, but in a more general sense it's already been proven that VR is very "do-able" for a lot of things.

And I will say again - as a platform it will obviously have certain limitations. It's not going to be appropriate for "everything".

But for what it can do well, oh wow, it's nearly "Holodeck"...

Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,708
P
Senior Member
Senior Member
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,708
Timothy, the switches are already there in the virtual cockpit. DCS A10C is a great example. You can pretty much control everything right now with the mouse to press buttons in the cockpit. It is a bit clumsy though, and so physical controls such as keyboard shortcuts are still needed... But what if you could just reach out with your hand in the virtual cockpit and press a button or throw a switch. It would be a very natural thing to do.


Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.
Carl Sagan
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,545
T
Hotshot
Hotshot
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,545
Originally Posted By: Paul Rix
Timothy, the switches are already there in the virtual cockpit. DCS A10C is a great example. You can pretty much control everything right now with the mouse to press buttons in the cockpit. It is a bit clumsy though, and so physical controls such as keyboard shortcuts are still needed... But what if you could just reach out with your hand in the virtual cockpit and press a button or throw a switch. It would be a very natural thing to do.


I just got a chance to watch the videos. That is impressive. I'd love to see DCS, SB, Il-2, and ROF add support for the finger/controls using Leapmotion. I'd even be willing to pay $10 for it as a module in DCS and such.

Anyways, a guy can dream can't he?

Last edited by Timothy; 03/16/16 06:11 AM.

Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,714
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,714
Wags also announced they are implementing a laser pointer mouse of sorts, that lets you look at the button and active it, from within the headset

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=162487

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 49,716
J
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 49,716
I'm not sold on this concept at all yet.




The Jedi Master


The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 6,968
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 6,968
The tech will need another two years to mature. A decent resolution would be UHD (at least 4k) for each eye, with a consistent 75 fps, which both hardware and software need to be able to deliver.

The price tag is also a little too hefty for what the current tech can do. Of course, an affordable VR set with good resolution and decent performance would indeed be a groundbreaking change for - at least - the simulation genre.

And who knows, in five years we might even have the Rift III or Vive Evo Xtreme (or whatever cool name marketing comes up with), which feature 8k resolution per eye, Nvidia 2090 Ti cards that can handle 100 fps at that resolution easily (for both VR displays, and an additional 8k monitor), and P3D V5 will finally be in 64bit.
alien

Oh, and DCS 2.0 will almost be out of beta... stirthepot biggrin


Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,708
P
Senior Member
Senior Member
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,708
The way I see it, the Rift is already in it's 3rd generation. DK1, DK2 and now CV1. They probably could have sold the DK2 as a successful consumer device. I would wager that the majority of DK2's were purchased by gamers/enthusiasts rather than developers. The other thing to consider is that with technology, there is never really a good time to jump on the bandwagon. The device is either too expensive when it's cutting edge, or getting obsolete with something better coming down the pipe (which will also be expensive). At some point you have to jump or be content to watch the train roll on by. I have been following the Rift since the Kickstarter back in 2012. It's been a long wait.


Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.
Carl Sagan
Dart #4240497 03/16/16 04:06 PM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 288
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 288
Originally Posted By: Dart


I mean that's how it works, right?


neaner

Joined: May 2009
Posts: 7,033
K
Hell Drummer
Hotshot
Hell Drummer
Hotshot
K Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 7,033
Originally Posted By: Paul Rix
It's been a long wait.



Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 6,968
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 6,968
Meanwhile, AMD is working on this , and in a related interview, a company spokesman said they were already working on a 4k (per eye) resolution version.

Quote:
We are already working with a headset manufacturer, unannounced, with a 4K per eye headset. It exists. It's quite, quite beautiful, and we believe that the roadmap to go into higher resolutions will happen more quickly than is probably expected. Once you've seen a high resolution VR experience, you can see that it's really quite beautiful



[Source: http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2016/03/amd-radeon-pro-duo-revealed/ ]


Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,545
T
Hotshot
Hotshot
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,545
Originally Posted By: Jayhawk
Meanwhile, AMD is working on this , and in a related interview, a company spokesman said they were already working on a 4k (per eye) resolution version.

Quote:
We are already working with a headset manufacturer, unannounced, with a 4K per eye headset. It exists. It's quite, quite beautiful, and we believe that the roadmap to go into higher resolutions will happen more quickly than is probably expected. Once you've seen a high resolution VR experience, you can see that it's really quite beautiful



[Source: http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2016/03/amd-radeon-pro-duo-revealed/ ]


Oh wow! I was kinda shocked they didn't go with a higher resolution at the time for OR and Vive. That said, I won't be shocked that the technology will have a new generation by Christmas.


Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
How to Decommission Obsolete Robots....
by F4UDash4 - 10/04/26 05:54 PM
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,081,361 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1