SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 … 12 13
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,859
E
Mission Builder
Member
Mission Builder
Member
E Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,859
Originally Posted By: SharpeXB
I wonder how many of you that seem so upset over this actually own a PC capable of running the consumer release of OR when it arrives next year.

Which of you can run BoS at 1200x2160 at a constant 90 fps?


Why do you so frequently resort to making it about an emotional conflict?

Upset? Are you?

Anyway, in reference to your query, I wonder how many people will be willing to Upgrade their PC when Oculus requires it.

I bet NVidia and AMD are banking on that number being not insignificant.

In other news, there are purportedly some extremely exciting enhancements to DirectX 12 which are designed to minimise latency specifically targeting VR displays.

Maybe people won't need such a costly upgrade as you might imagine...

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 683
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 683
Originally Posted By: Extreme_One
Anyway, in reference to your query, I wonder how many people will be willing to Upgrade their PC when Oculus requires it.

I bet NVidia and AMD are banking on that number being not insignificant.

In other news, there are purportedly some extremely exciting enhancements to DirectX 12 which are designed to minimise latency specifically targeting VR displays.

Maybe people won't need such a costly upgrade as you might imagine...


What is this? You mean people might upgrade their pc's as new technology comes out to be able to run it? Now that is hard to imagine lol...

The real question is, what developer are going to upgrade their software to support this same new technology. Things change, technology is constantly evolving, developer that want to stay in the game for the long term tend to change with it.
DX9 is getting pretty long in the tooth by todays standards I would think.


Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB|I-7 [email protected] GHz|EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3|16GB Corsair Dominator PC2133 Ram|Oculus Rift CV1|Virpil T-50 stick, Warthog throttle|MFG Crosswind Pedals
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 766
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 766
Originally Posted By: Extreme_One
Originally Posted By: SharpeXB
I wonder how many of you that seem so upset over this actually own a PC capable of running the consumer release of OR when it arrives next year.

Which of you can run BoS at 1200x2160 at a constant 90 fps?


Why do you so frequently resort to making it about an emotional conflict?

That's not an emotional question, it's a technical one. The point is that the system specs for VR will be much greater compared to running a 1080p 2D game. That's going to affect its adoption.

The article linked earlier states it perfectly. Quality will have to come up and costs come down before you see VR really go mainstream. It's not the highest priority for BoS right now.


Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K @4.7GHz | Corsair H80iGT Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC 11GB | 240gb Intel 520 Series SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | Samsung U28D590D UHD 28" Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 443
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 443
Originally Posted By: Dakpilot
I really don't see the point in 1CGS spending any money on further development for DK2 it is a dev kit that will be totally redundant when CV1 customer version is released.

Oculas Rift changed their plan, and dropped support for DX9 for CV1

BoS is DX9, to re-write for DX11-12 is a massive undertaking that is not financially viable currently. DCS have spent a long time....years, to get their DX9 engine to DX11, If and when that happens with BoS I am sure VR support will be reassessed

How 1CGS can be blamed for Oculas Rifts change of design decisions after acquisition by facebook is beyond me.

Cheers Dakpilot


Your immunity to reading comprehension is astounding, it has been pointed out several times that a DX11 rewrite is not required, it is possible for a DX9 game engine to communicate with the DX11 features that the rift requires, all it takes is a developer to bother doing it, the reason why it makes sense to develop for the development kit is so that it is ready for the consumer release and not having to play catch up with everyone else.
Nobody is blaming 1CGS for Oculus's dropping of DX9 so no wonder it is beyond you, you fall victim to your own lack of reading comprehension again, only 1CGS is doing any blaming and it is entirely misplaced.

Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 766
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 766
Originally Posted By: Extreme_One
Other games that are running in DX9 support Oculus, so why should BOS be any different?

Because BoS like other flight sims runs a heavy load off the CPU and that prevents the game from ever getting a high enough frame rate for VR to run well.
The current DCS engine running DX9 wouldn't meet the min proposed VR specs either. Going to DX11 lets the GPU share the load so that the required level of performance is possible. That's as much as I understand it.

Last edited by SharpeXB; 09/07/15 05:48 PM.

Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K @4.7GHz | Corsair H80iGT Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC 11GB | 240gb Intel 520 Series SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | Samsung U28D590D UHD 28" Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,859
E
Mission Builder
Member
Mission Builder
Member
E Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,859
Originally Posted By: SharpeXB

That's not an emotional question, it's a technical one.


Let me help you.

Originally Posted By: SharpeXB
I wonder how many of you that seem so upset over this actually own a PC capable ...


That's a question loaded with emotion.

Originally Posted By: SharpeXB
I wonder how many of you actually own a PC capable ...



That's a question minus the emotion.

Do you have trouble with Basic English? screwy banghead

Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 766
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 766
Originally Posted By: Extreme_One
Originally Posted By: SharpeXB

That's not an emotional question, it's a technical one.


Let me help you.

Originally Posted By: SharpeXB
I wonder how many of you that seem so upset over this actually own a PC capable ...


That's a question loaded with emotion.

Originally Posted By: SharpeXB
I wonder how many of you actually own a PC capable ...



That's a question minus the emotion.

Do you have trouble with Basic English? screwy banghead


Ok so you just like to argue for the sake of arguing?


Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K @4.7GHz | Corsair H80iGT Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC 11GB | 240gb Intel 520 Series SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | Samsung U28D590D UHD 28" Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,859
E
Mission Builder
Member
Mission Builder
Member
E Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,859
Originally Posted By: SharpeXB

Ok so you just like to argue for the sake of arguing?


No but when I accuse you of frequently, and unnecessarily, bringing emotion into debates and discussion, and you try and brush it off with a pointless denial, I want to ensure you understand the point.

Keep the emotion out of it and the debate can continue just fine without it.

Last edited by Extreme_One; 09/07/15 06:19 PM.
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 683
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 683
Originally Posted By: SharpeXB
Originally Posted By: Extreme_One
Other games that are running in DX9 support Oculus, so why should BOS be any different?

Because BoS like other flight sims runs a heavy load off the CPU and that prevents the game from ever getting a high enough frame rate for VR to run well.


If someone had of told 1CGS that back when they announced support for the OR, it would have saved them a lot of grief.

I wonder if the other flight and space sim developers are aware of this?

Last edited by dburne; 09/07/15 06:13 PM.

Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB|I-7 [email protected] GHz|EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3|16GB Corsair Dominator PC2133 Ram|Oculus Rift CV1|Virpil T-50 stick, Warthog throttle|MFG Crosswind Pedals
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 443
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 443
Well it didn't take long for the 1CGS rabid response team to try and derail this thread.

Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,024
C
Senior Member
Senior Member
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,024
Oculus's decision to not support DX9 anymore, did give BOS one valid excuse. No matter how you look at it, it would add more work for the BOS development to continue Oculus support. "More Work, for minimal return, is the last thing the BOS development needs at this critical stage in its development. They are already up their ass in alligators trying to develop a viable combat flight sim.

Yes VR is the future of flight sims, but "current" VR requires very high frame rates at high resolutions, DX11+ features, and game software written explicitly for VR to work effectively. All of which BOS is not even close to providing. Nobody wants VR to work more than I do, but I completely understand BOS reluctance to spend time and monies they don't have to create a less than satisfactory experience, which would definitely add even more fodder for the haters in the forums. The BOS developers do understand that VR is the future of flight sims, and I'm sure they will do all they can to provide VR support when they have the extra time, and money to do so. In the long term, I think IC made an error in judgment, dropping the incomplete DX11 COD game engine, for the ROF DX9 game engine.


Intel core I7 4790K @ 4.4
Asus Maximus Hero VII Motherboard
16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Cougar Throttle/X55 Throttle/Saitek Levers
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 62
3
Junior Member
Junior Member
3 Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 62
I feel like I'm wasting my time and my keyboard responding, but I'll do it one last time.

I was diagnosed with 'E-Rage' on official forum when I made some of the points why I think DirectX 9 support being removed from Oculus is not a only/real reason for 1CGS dropping DK2 support.

I glanced through Oculus forum Today to find out if other DX9 games still work , and found out that for example Eurotruck Simulator 2 works , and even works better on newest DK2 SDK:

Re: Rift with Euro Truck Simulator 2

Postby kojack � August 3rd, 2015, 7:34 am

...I just tried it (haven't played for a while), works great now. I can get steady 75fps on my laptop (with no judder), even with screen mirroring and all default settings.

So far I think ETS2 is one of the best examples of a full commercial game with VR support...

FSX with newly deveolepd FlyInside app works great and it's wonderful experience even on DK2 :


Re: Flight Simulator X : Steam edition in Virtual reality ! biggrin

Postby ThreeDeeVision � July 2nd, 2015, 7:41 pm
This is all I was hoping it was going to be! I have been waiting for this since I heard about it a few months back and it didn't fail to deliver. The positional tracking is awesome, and besides a couple settings being disabled everything looks great! I am running Ultra settings besides what Flyinside automatically shuts off (I think bloom & shadows) and I am holding a steady 75 fps in the Timewarp and the sim is 50-75 fps which looks great.

Leaning out of the Ultralight and looking down as I turned was just spectacular and I grinned like a little kid at Christmas biggrin. I love the missions in this game, and they work perfectly with the DK2 and the 5.0.1 runtime. Looks like he has a version for the newest runtime as well. (Still waiting for Elite to update before I do). I am using the original Flight Sim X with the Acceleration expansion, which is basically the same as the Gold Edition.

I backed this without a second thought because the alpha has already been priceless. Can't wait to start beta testing in August!


Re: Flight Simulator X : Steam edition in Virtual reality ! biggrin

Postby MoeCapp � July 2nd, 2015, 5:43 pm
Man this thing is a blast. I got TileProxy R086 version running with Bing maps (a huge pain to set up but worth the effort for VR). Set resolution to 3840x2374 in FlyInside, hop into the Classic Wings Sopwith Camel for a dawn flight and HOLY CRAP!!! I have seen the future!

I'm impressed by how well the FlyInside works but also how the DK2 itself can perform with the right software.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Re: Flight Simulator X : Steam edition in Virtual reality ! biggrin

Postby ThreeDeeVision � July 7th, 2015, 8:16 am
Sorry DCS and Elite, I think I have a new flying favorite here. This works so unbelievably good it is hard to imagine this game wasn't made for VR.

And here's a quote from a thread from Dakpilot's post :



Re: DirectX 9 (DX9) Will be Deprecated Starting with Next SD

Postby kojack � February 1st, 2015, 4:20 pm

Ruudscorner wrote:

Komat wrote:

bigmike20vt wrote:
I just fired up ETS2 and all I can say is, unless ETS2 is patched I hope that extended mode does continue to work in CV1.


We are not using the SDK based rendering nor the Direct Mode so this removal should have no effect on ETS2 or ATS.


Best news freaking ever :-)


On the one hand: yay, it will keep working. (and unlike the devs of IL2 BOS who dropped rift support because of dx9, the ETS2 devs know the workaround)
On the other hand: damn it, more extended mode annoyance. I generally only run direct mode.

So there you go. From all I read in this thread , what Hooves says make most sense as to why DK2 support never happened for BoS.

'From what I saw of their first implementation though, I think they may need to hire someone. They had the strangest idea about how it should look, it was not at all immersive, and honestly just proved that they, (along with many other studios) don't currently have the right people to do this.'

There you go , plain and simple. I read similar opinion from YoYo of YoYoSims.pl . He tried BoS in DK2 at an closed event in Prague , he reported that it didn't feel right.

I will say this again , dropping support because you have no people to work on it especially when every couple of months there is a new SDK which can potentially break it is OK.

Blaming Oculus , or even worse, Facebook , for your own limitations is just a cheap excuse. Just be honest and people will understand , feed them with BS and they will respond on the forums.

Some might even e-rage wink

Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 766
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 766
Originally Posted By: bongodriver
Well it didn't take long for the 1CGS rabid response team to try and derail this thread.

Everyone gets to post here. Even people that don't own the game...


Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K @4.7GHz | Corsair H80iGT Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC 11GB | 240gb Intel 520 Series SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | Samsung U28D590D UHD 28" Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 443
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 443
Originally Posted By: SharpeXB
Originally Posted By: bongodriver
Well it didn't take long for the 1CGS rabid response team to try and derail this thread.

Everyone gets to post here. Even people that don't own the game...


I was wondering if there was a punchline to this odd statement, but I guess there isn't going to be, we will just have to hang in limbo wondering why such an irrelevant thing counts.

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 772
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 772
Originally Posted By: SharpeXB
Originally Posted By: bongodriver
Well it didn't take long for the 1CGS rabid response team to try and derail this thread.

Everyone gets to post here. Even people that don't own the game...

Missing the point completely.
It's not a case of being able to post here. Bongos point was that the rabid response team are trying to derail the thread with statements like "even people who don't own the game..."


DCS Kickstarter
Wags July 2014 "In this July 2014 update, the primary news is in regards to the restructured backer rewards. After a careful review of the older system under RRG, we found it financially unattainable."
Wags October 2017 "the investment vs. generated revenue has been excellent for the World War II aircraft. In fact, the P-51D Mustang has twice the cost effectiveness of the A-10C Warthog."
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,859
E
Mission Builder
Member
Mission Builder
Member
E Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,859
Careful they might threaten to leave, never to post here ever, ever again.

Again.

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,474
Likes: 13
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,474
Likes: 13
lol... guys, the story continues smile

Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 356
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 356
The whole story is pointless, BoS wont run on the release version CV-1, neither will 90% of DX9 games especially so, CPU/graphic intensive ones of similar hardware requirements as BoS (to run at stable 90FPS)

Cheers Dakpilot

Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 11,955
Likes: 141
C
Administrator
Veteran
Administrator
Veteran
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 11,955
Likes: 141
Let's get away from the "rabid" in "rabid response team". While I would parse that usage of "rabid" as a descriptor of "response", I can see that some could parse it as a descriptor of "team"... which could be insulting to some of the members here.

Thanks.


"praemonitus, praemunitus"
"We in America have no interest in being polite and orderly caretakers of the West’s managed decline." - Secretary of State Marco Rubio
[Linked Image]
What we agreed to abide by in these forums!
CB's Tips for Potentially Contentious Forum Discussions
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 443
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 443
Originally Posted By: Dakpilot
The whole story is pointless, BoS wont run on the release version CV-1, neither will 90% of DX9 games especially so, CPU/graphic intensive ones of similar hardware requirements as BoS (to run at stable 90FPS)

Cheers Dakpilot


The story is not pointless, the main point of the discussion is this :

Originally Posted By: bongodriver
My conclusion is it's another broken promise, they lacked the budget/time/talent (delete as applicable) and didn't have the balls to admit it but found the easy thing to do was blame someone else.


Considering the famous 'Borsch and cream' speech from Loft regarding Oculus implementation.
and the fact that the BOS devs excuse for dropping VR development has been totally invalidated with the fact that DX9 games can still be used with the oculus.

Originally Posted By: CyBerkut
Let's get away from the "rabid" in "rabid response team". While I would parse that usage of "rabid" as a descriptor of "response", I can see that some could parse it as a descriptor of "team"... which could be insulting to some of the members here.

Thanks.


its just a play on words, rabid is used in place of rapid, merely suggestive of the nature of the damage control tactics employed by certain members when their beloved game picks up some deserved criticism.

Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 … 12 13

Moderated by  CyBerkut, RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,079,400 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1