SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,939
S
Senior Member
Senior Member
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,939
My wife picked this up for me for fathers day. I hesitated buying it myself because its a little pricey for an virtual plane $54. However, I have to say it is awesome. Very complex, right up there with PMDG and I guess you get what you pay for. Everything on it seems to be modeled very well. Just to open the door, you have to go through 4 or 5 steps to unlock things etc.. It comes with a bunch of liveries and 3 variants, Passenger, Cargo and some sort of airborne radar version.

There is an amazing interactive check list that takes you through the rather long start up procedure, that teaches you how to fly this plane. Very well done. I'm glad I got it!

Rob































Intel Core i7-3770K
GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000)
MSI GTX 960 GTX 4GB
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 325
I
Member
Member
I Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 325
That looks very high quality just from the screenies. Xplane?

Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 113
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 113
Beautiful shots.


I-7 4770K @ 4.5 Ghz, EVGA 980ti 6Gb SC,Corsair H110 water cooler, Asus Maximus VI Hero, EVGA Supernova 1000 watt power supply, Team Extreme LV 16 Gb ram @2100 MHz, Four Samsung Evo solid state drives, Windows 10.

�We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm�.
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 957
C
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Member
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Member
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 957
Nice blast from the past. I flew N437XJ when it was with Mesaba Aviation (dba as Northwest Airlink).

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 304
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 304
AHA!!
Chaz, do you mean you flew it, or flew in it? This gives me a chance to ask how it would have been navigated. It's the old "what do I do without an FMS" question. I know it's easier in the US as they still have their radio navaids, but what about in the UK f'rinstance.

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 957
C
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Member
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Member
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 957
Originally Posted By: Domestos
AHA!!
Chaz, do you mean you flew it, or flew in it? This gives me a chance to ask how it would have been navigated. It's the old "what do I do without an FMS" question. I know it's easier in the US as they still have their radio navaids, but what about in the UK f'rinstance.



I flew it. smile Mesaba Aviation no longer exists. I was there from 2000-2006. At one point, we had around 75 Saab 340s- A, B and B+ models. I think we were considered the largest 340 operator. Mesaba was bought by their sibling Airlink operator, Pinnacle Airlines. Then eventually merged into Pinnacle and changed name to Endeavor Air. That's the ugly nature of the airline industry beast.

Those screenshots above of the cockpit give me serious notstalgia and chills. All of the checklists, callouts,and procedures come racing back! Amazing how realistic they are right down to the different shades of grey on the panel and instrument cluster.

As far as navigation goes, we flew VOR to VOR and ATC directs. The airspace over the midwest was not crowded especially below 20,000 ft. We typically cruised between 10-18,000 ft depending on length of flight. Once we departed, 99% of the time, we were given an initial heading to our destination and eventually cleared direct. Most of the Saabs we fly had an FMS installed, but due to red tape with the FAA, we could not legally use it as the primary source of navigation.

In front of N451XJ circa October 2005. Damn, I'm dating my self....


Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,939
S
Senior Member
Senior Member
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,939
Chaz,

That's really interesting info. I'm glad these shots brought back some memories. Hope they were good ones. LOL.
Do you still fly now?

Rob











Last edited by Scoobe; 06/23/15 05:25 PM.

Intel Core i7-3770K
GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000)
MSI GTX 960 GTX 4GB
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 957
C
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Member
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Member
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 957
Oh snap. N110XJ. Now that is really taking it way back. That was one of our A models. Underpowered, at least for the hot and humid Minnesota summers. Does your add-on come with just 1 model or does it represent all 3 models- A, B and B+ ? A was 30 seats. B was 34 seats (lav moved to the front) with a little more power. B+ 34 seats with even more power notably when there was an engine loss on takeoff.

Plenty of good memories. I logged just over 5,000 hours (in 6 1/2 years) in the 340. Plenty of war stories to tell my kids someday. I don't fly professionally anymore. I left Mesaba for a corporate gig flying a Raytheon Premier 1. Then the market crash of 2008 hurt my company (they were heavily dependent on the stock market) and I didn't want to wait around to see what was going to happen. Landed a desk job, but still within aviation.

You can see the different shades of grey on the panels. Your add on is the first one I've seen model the 340 in this detail. I noticed in your original post there is what appears to be a Garmin 430? just below the standby instruments aka peanuts gauges. We didn't have that. That was our TCAS. (below)

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 957
C
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Member
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Member
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 957
LOL wow, I just noticed the nosecone strip misalignment. It's funny because that IS accurate. Some of our older models had the strip painted differently and they were swapping out radarcones with the other B and B+. 'Twas a little embarrassing pulling into a parking spot/gate looking like that. Passengers probably wondered 'If they can't even paint the damn thing correctly, what else is wrong with the aircraft?'

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,939
S
Senior Member
Senior Member
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,939
They are modeling the "A" version here. There is also a cargo version and an airborne radar version.
Interesting comment about the radar cone misalignment. I didn't notice that until you pointed it out. Not sure if that was intentional or just a happy accident since, as you said, the real ones often had that.

There is more info here, in case your interested.
http://www.x-aviation.com/catalog/take-command-saab-340a-p-100.html

Rob


Intel Core i7-3770K
GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000)
MSI GTX 960 GTX 4GB
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 25,177
Likes: 2
R
Lifer
Lifer
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 25,177
Likes: 2
I love such threads. How much closer could sim and teality possibly come, when we are fortunate to have people here with experience on the actual registration number...

Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 211
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 211
Great shots.

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,939
S
Senior Member
Senior Member
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,939
A few more of this amazing model.























Intel Core i7-3770K
GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000)
MSI GTX 960 GTX 4GB
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 19,794
A
Veteran
Veteran
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 19,794
Great shots, thanks for sharing.


WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 850
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 850
Awesome thread, guys. I kind of want to get this now so I can be part of the club.


"A week or even a month for someone basically saying "shucks, this is pants" maybe. But their banhammer only has the forever setting. Gotta set phasers to stun for the localization of female undergarments, not kill yo." - Frederf
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,656
Likes: 1
T
Senior Member
Senior Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,656
Likes: 1
Beautiful screenshots!

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 8,677
K
Hotshot
Hotshot
K Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 8,677
Terrific shots Scoobe!

How do you get your X-Plane sky to look like that? Very realistic compared to what I see with default X-Plane 10.


[email protected], GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,939
S
Senior Member
Senior Member
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,939
Originally Posted By: kludger
Terrific shots Scoobe!

How do you get your X-Plane sky to look like that? Very realistic compared to what I see with default X-Plane 10.



Thanks,

I'm using a few add-on's for the sky and colors.
-- Skymaxx Pro (payware) for the clouds.
-- Maxx FX (payware)for the color adjustments.
-- Replacement Sky colors (freeware) from X-plane.org, because I didn't like the ons that come with Skymaxx.

Rob


Last edited by Scoobe; 08/28/15 04:52 AM.

Intel Core i7-3770K
GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000)
MSI GTX 960 GTX 4GB
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 8,677
K
Hotshot
Hotshot
K Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 8,677
Thanks Scoobe will look into those, 100X better than the default, the clouds are always something I notice when I fly XPlane 10 and not in a good way since I am spoiled on the FSX side with REX Essential and ASN...


[email protected], GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 2,890
W
Senior Member
Senior Member
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 2,890
I have been thinking of getting Xplane because I have the demo and like it so far. I am amazed at the the way the nights look with cars that have headlights and tailights and streetlights and roads are so detailed.

One thing stands out in that they get such sharp, almost super rez lights compared to the other sims. In FSX when I see another plane at night or dusk that is far away it looks like a little texture blob with maybe a blinking light and if it is too far away it vanishes. In Xplane that plane will be very clear and sharp and I can tell it has several lights, very much like real life..in fact I love watching the AI fly at night and sometimes just follow them.

It is so good at night they should rename it From Dusk till Dawn.

Last edited by Warbirds; 08/28/15 12:01 PM.

"A time when America was great,,when the chrome was thick and the women were straight" - Micheal Savage

"If you really want to experience flight in this life then you have to strap a DC-3 to your ass." - Buffalo Joe McBryan President & Captain Buffalo Airways

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,070,863 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1