Well there are a bunch of Tutorials built in.
Basically you pick a vehicle type and then work through them. While many share similar concepts the M1 tutorial doesn't fully prepare you to run say a Leo 2E.
Skins vary - depending on what you want to depict.
I'd strongly suggest you join the Steel Beast forum (
http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/index.php) for a bunch of this stuff.
I think from memory there is a recent thread (called "FNG" or similar) that may also help.
Also if you want can I suggest you drop in and have a look at some multi player action?
In about 20 hours from the time of this post we are running a multi mission activity that will go for about 9 hours or so (you don't have to watch all of it

) and it might be a good opportunity to see what is possible.
If you drop me a PM we can arrange it so you can use TeamViewer to watch proceedings "over my shoulder" without needing the software.
If you really get a taste I can lend you a license for tomorrow too.
Finally happy to help with any questions you may have.