SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Hop To
Page 7 of 22 1 2 … 5 6 7 8 9 … 21 22
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 3,806
B
Senior Member
Senior Member
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 3,806
Originally Posted By: 777 Studios - Jason
Originally Posted By: Mysticpuma2003
Jason, are you as frustrated as the majority of the people who bought BoS that the graphics options are locked out? Do you have any influence on who was in charge of the decision and if they are determined to not change the presets, please for the love of god can you ask them to just give one option which will be to have a tick box to turn SSAO on or off? Just that one option....SSAO on or off wink


I'm not frustrated, but I personally prefer more options to tweak, but then again I'm not handling support issues which more options generate. I've made the request you mentioned about SSAO, but it's not my call. I believe only the Ultra settings include SSAO no? I don't even remember. I usually just play on Ultra.

As was mentioned in the previous DD the sky was tweaked, so maybe there are more tweaks, but I have not yet seen a list of what will be in the next update yet. Have no idea if there are changes to graphics options.
Jason


My biggest problem with the presets and the reasoning behind them is... Considering the level of angst against them.. why not just open it back up and keep the presets and just establish that if you try to do your own settings and you screw the pooch then revert to a preset because they work.

Easy Peasy man...

That would solve all of that.

Just say We don't do support for graphics issues if you have a graphics issues unless it is one that is manifested under a preset. If the problem cannot be duplicated then it cannot be duplicated.. suck it up and move on.

Given the way that BoS runs with the presets.. there may be, a very dubious "may" ... be a very small minority that will still have issues.. but for the most part most folks who have a halfway decent rig will wind up with a decent running sim set to their liking. Look at what went down with IL2.. we adapted.. We had posts at M4T.. Remember M4T? We had posts there that talked folks through graphics settings based on community experience.

The debate rages about whether or not this is RoF WWII or IL2 the Next generation... all that stuff is moot. Call it what you want... Oleg ain't here for whatever reason.. it's IL2 .. sort of... based on legal copyright mumbo jumbo.. WHAT EVER ... The bottom line is it's a WWII sim.. in spite of what some may say or think about the details.. and it is, regardless to how some may feel about the statement, or BoS .. the only developer supported dedicated WWII sim on the market at the moment... still... DCS WWII not withstanding..

All that is not to say that we should .. as simmers.. regardless to what sim any one of us thinks is the greatest thing since sliced bread or the bearer of the legacy ... and all that BULL$HIT... just roll over and accept what ever this team or any team tosses our way... but for crying out loud... We are all grown men. There are people in this thread that I have known, or known of for well over a decade...

I mean come ON... duh

We are all grown men.. and many of us... most of us... are all living our childhood fantasies vicariously through this past time. I have seen the posts through the years from many of you.. and most of us are at the very least.. as the kids in the group ... in our 40s... Hell I am going to be 60 this summer... and my point with all that is .. that none of us are friggin children.. so why do we act that way?

I can't speak for how it is anywhere but here in the U.S.A. ... and I like my hard earned cash as much as the next guy... but I have pissed away far far more money than I spent on this sim... in 2015 alone... Hell I went to see The Avengers in IMAX with the wife the son and his girl... and that cost me more than this sim... and it is now a memory.

Say what you want .. be as disgruntled as you want.. but this personal BS has to stop guys... We have GOT to find a way to express our hopes and desires for this genre and this sim in particular and our satisfaction or dissatisfaction therin without the personal BS that only hurts the genre... At best we have 4 sims to choose from... 4... IL2 46, CoD, DCS and BoS. As simmers we cannot afford to have any of those products fall by the wayside for any reason other than they were just not good... and from where I sit.. BoS with all it's flaws .. does not fall into that category less than a year out.. sorry... it does not...

No sim to this day has been that bad.

WT for all it's detractors... has a huge following .. and is not that bad.

We need to stop and sit back and ask ourselves where a lot of this stuff is coming from... and make adjustments to our collective attitudes where applicable... At the end of the day we are all folks who are passionate about aviation and WWII aviation in particular.. I have no doubt that the BoS team.. regardless to whatever boneheaded decisions they may have made and regardless to which side of the team, these decisons came from, want to just produce a decent WWII sim.. and given what we have already at our disposal the option for a developer supported dedicated WWII sim isd quite appealing to me.. given what we have.

How long have we been waiting for 5.0 from TF? How long have we been waiting for 4.13 from TD? How long have we been waiting for DCS WWII and EDGE before that? Not to take away from what they all have done... or to say that none of that is forthcoming, which I believe it all is .. I see great times ahead for WWII simmer... but we have people tanking BoS totally.. across multiple venues.. because they are unhappy with part of it.. We have all this personal drama going on .. in cyberspace... and this is all just wrong..

It is wrong guys..

It is wrong.


Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,859
E
Mission Builder
Member
Mission Builder
Member
E Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,859
Originally Posted By: SharpeXB
...
Yes but if I understand correctly 1946 was only modded (ie hacked) after it was no longer developer supported...


That might be true, but A LONG TIME BEFORE that happened there were user-created campaigns and customisable user-settings.


Heck, there was an entire forum set up specifically for user-to-user support, which, for most users, was the first port of call for hardware and software issues.
There were people ready and willing to help improve the running of the game for you, for me and for anyone else.
I doubt the developers ever needed to field much in the way of support as it was predominantly handled by the community.

These two small things; user-created content and user-to-user support, helped breathe life into the game by feeding the community.
As the community became more involved more copies of the game were sold.

It was like the perfect feedback loop.

Nothing like this is possible with BOS because the game is stuck with four presets and no possibility to create user-made campaigns.

It's like the developers of BOS took the best parts of what made IL-2 successful and tossed them in the bin, and kept the rest because ... what, because Warthunder doesn't do that ... or what?

Can someone, anyone explain why IL-2 became the aberration we have today?


And I have heard this nonsense about "we turned it around in two years" and "never has anyone done the same in such short time" ... and?

So, someone produces a boring game in two years, makes a few hundred thousand dollars selling unkept promises and ...? We're supposed to be grateful?

I'd have been a lot more grateful if they'd spent an extra year, making the game they trumpeted before taking people's cash and then we'd all be here helping each other play the game and assisting each other in making the game run great and all the other things simming communities used to do, before the IL-2 name was trodden into the dirt.

Say whatever you want - BOS and BOM have a looooooooooong way to come before they deserve to have the IL-2 moniker attached.

Last edited by Extreme_One; 06/02/15 09:41 PM.
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 3,806
B
Senior Member
Senior Member
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 3,806
Originally Posted By: Bucksnort
Originally Posted By: SharpeXB
The fact that modders have been able to make the game sucessful with their own volunteer efforts doesn't mean CoD should serve as some sort of benchmark or standard for this genre. If we want any more of these products made they need to have realistic and achievable goals. CoD is the past and the best that can be done is to learn from the example and go forward. The future is bright for this hobby.


Modders also did this for IL-2 1946, as was done for Red Baron 3D before it. Albert's insular approach to BoS is an aberration, not the norm, and will restrict the overall growth and lifespan of BoS. Games like the ARMA series that encourage an active modding community continue this tradition into the future. Loft's efforts to create a new norm will go nowhere. And its disappointing to see some folks supporting his efforts to do so.


Let's not twist the history here.. Oleg was not happy with the modding of IL2.. he was dead set against it and that is one of the other reasons why IL2 was so successful.. it was unmodded and therefore "cheat free" as far as folks altering FMs and DMs etc.. If I am not mistaken while CoD was eventually meant to be modded.. it was not out the gate that way.. somebody by all means correct me if I am wrong.


Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,859
E
Mission Builder
Member
Mission Builder
Member
E Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,859
I cannot fathom why modding is such an issue.

To my mind modding is only necessary when the base game is rubbish.

Oh, hold on ...

Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 3,806
B
Senior Member
Senior Member
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 3,806
My point was that IL2 was standing tall before modding came about.. as you said.. there was user content.. user made utilities in abundance before the sim was hacked.


Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 766
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 766
Originally Posted By: Extreme_One
Originally Posted By: SharpeXB
...
Yes but if I understand correctly 1946 was only modded (ie hacked) after it was no longer developer supported...


That might be true, but A LONG TIME BEFORE that happened there were user-created campaigns and customisable user-settings.

Ok but there's a difference between user created content and modding. BoS is all open to user created content and has some already.
If a Pat Wilson style campaign gets made for it, and I hope it does. That's not a mod either. It's just a 3rd party add on program.


Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K @4.7GHz | Corsair H80iGT Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC 11GB | 240gb Intel 520 Series SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | Samsung U28D590D UHD 28" Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 683
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 683
Originally Posted By: Bearcat99
My point was that IL2 was standing tall before modding came about.. as you said.. there was user content.. user made utilities in abundance before the sim was hacked.


It has a robust and user friendly SP system, as well as a robust and user friendly MP system.


Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB|I-7 [email protected] GHz|EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3|16GB Corsair Dominator PC2133 Ram|Oculus Rift CV1|Virpil T-50 stick, Warthog throttle|MFG Crosswind Pedals
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 766
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 766
Originally Posted By: Extreme_One
To my mind modding is only necessary when the base game is rubbish.

Oh please. The base game in this instance is definitly not rubbish. Far from it. I know people have issue with features like the campaign. I would like better options in that regard as well. But the core aspects of the game are very well done.


Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K @4.7GHz | Corsair H80iGT Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC 11GB | 240gb Intel 520 Series SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | Samsung U28D590D UHD 28" Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 443
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 443
Core aspects? the unique aspect at the core of BOS is the unlock system, they have literally taken an existing 2009 game and mixed it with content from a 2010 game and made it worse than either.

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,474
Likes: 13
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,474
Likes: 13
BoS... graphically gorgeous game... that's it, that's all I get out of it as a single player user.
I cannot get fully immersed in it's 'historical' content because I have no sense of belonging to any historical unit. I don't know who my wingmen are, I don't know their level of ability or competence, I have no ongoing sense of achieving anything for the cause I am fighting for.
I have no meaningful reward for risking myself and my men apart from phoney made up accolades.

It has zero appeal, and that is why I consistently fly the 'old IL2' with its older graphics but fully immersive campaigns (apparently most people don't like that style of flight simming)...

Why is it that a die hard flight simmer like me consistently goes back to an older out of date game, when there is a 'successor' that is carrying on that famous brand name?

Even Jason had stated he didn't want that title added to the game... He has been with the flight sim genre for quite some time and I believe he knows his stuff alright, but in this current offering he seems pretty much out of the loop on producing what some of thought we were getting when BoSBoM took on the IL2 mantle...

Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 766
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 766
Originally Posted By: bongodriver
Core aspects? the unique aspect at the core of BOS is the unlock system, they have literally taken an existing 2009 game and mixed it with content from a 2010 game and made it worse than either.

Unlocks?! Do you still even own this game? Or didn't you get a refund? They got rid of the unlocks long ago or really you can buy your way out with the Premium Edition. And before you complain about buying then you have to buy em in RoF too. At least BoS lets you have the option to win them as well.
Core aspects = Flight Model, Damage Model, Maps, Graphics, Commands etc. that part of the sim is well done.


Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K @4.7GHz | Corsair H80iGT Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC 11GB | 240gb Intel 520 Series SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | Samsung U28D590D UHD 28" Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 443
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 443
Apparently I do still own a premium license to the game but I uninstalled it months ago, yes I got a refund, they got rid of unlocks for premium users not everyone so the game still has unlocks....what's your point?

The core aspects you mentioned, FM's, DM's and maps have come in for some very deserved criticism, commands and graphics I'll let you have.

Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 560
L
Member
Member
L Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 560
I, and I assume others, would not have bought early access if it was not for the IL2 name.

If it was RoF: WWII I would have waited for a finished product before purchasing, because of my experience with 777 in the past. No saying I wouldn't buy it if it only 777 doing it (probably would have better), but I would have been wary.

I am a sucker, and fell for "The legend continues". My bad. Lesson learned.

The only company I will freely give money to is CD Projekt Red, and a few others that are not only confident in their product (as in refunds if you don't like it in 30 days), but seem to deliver over and over.

Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,398
K
Member
Member
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,398
Originally Posted By: Trooper117
BoS... graphically gorgeous game... that's it, that's all I get out of it as a single player user.
I cannot get fully immersed in it's 'historical' content because I have no sense of belonging to any historical unit. I don't know who my wingmen are, I don't know their level of ability or competence, I have no ongoing sense of achieving anything for the cause I am fighting for.
I have no meaningful reward for risking myself and my men apart from phoney made up accolades.

It has zero appeal, and that is why I consistently fly the 'old IL2' with its older graphics but fully immersive campaigns (apparently most people don't like that style of flight simming)...


Well said, Trooper. But I don't think your closing line is accurate. There is a reason that BoS is floundering on Steam and the most glaring explanation is a lack of fully immersive content. I've not seen any better explanation, or any explanation at all for the fact that Steam players are abandoning BoS faster than they call sell it.

Is there anyone who has a better explanation for why BoS is floundering on Steam? Sharpe, Bearcat, anyone?


Dogfighting is what you do "after" you drop your bombs and blow something up!
Can you say "JABO!" thumbsup
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 3,960
S
Senior Member
Senior Member
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 3,960
Click to reveal..
Originally Posted By: SharpeXB
Yes but if I understand correctly 1946 was only modded (ie hacked) after it was no longer developer supported...


Just for sake of "il-2 history": wink

The first MOD show for the public* - as proof of hacked code - is this video from 02-2007:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=BR&hl=pt&v=ffIuFecRHSk&bpctr=1433290731

The first public (or for non cheater purpose) MOD for Il-2'46 was the "Sound MOD" (new sounds and some "Frakenplanes" - AI planes with fake cockpits) that come public in 09-2007 (for the UbiZ00 crowd despair). hahaha

The first Team Daidalos patch - so "non official" - came in 02-2009, under supervision on MG (what needed concentrate his work force in the CloD "imbroglio). smile

* The SFS extractor was show be his author in the extinct Sukhoi forum at end of 2006, I think...
In between this and the "Sound MOD" some know four letters tag squad in online war's used this "knowledge" for their advantage... rolleyes


Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 3,806
B
Senior Member
Senior Member
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 3,806
Originally Posted By: Sokol1
Click to reveal..
Originally Posted By: SharpeXB
Yes but if I understand correctly 1946 was only modded (ie hacked) after it was no longer developer supported...


Just for sake of "il-2 history": wink

The first MOD show for the public* - as proof of hacked code - is this video from 02-2007:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=BR&hl=pt&v=ffIuFecRHSk&bpctr=1433290731
The first public (or for non cheater purpose) MOD for Il-2'46 was the "Sound MOD" (new sounds and some "Frakenplanes" - AI planes with fake cockpits) that come public in 09-2007 (for the UbiZ00 crowd despair). hahaha
The first Team Daidalos patch - so "non official" - came in 02-2009, under supervision on MG (what needed concentrate his work force in the CloD "imbroglio). smile
* The SFS extractor was show be his author in the extinct Sukhoi forum at end of 2006, I think...
In between this and the "Sound MOD" some know four letters tag squad in online war's used this "knowledge" for their advantage... rolleyes


Yes... and it was a trip too...

End of the world
So.. that's it?


Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 766
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 766
Originally Posted By: Trooper117
It has zero appeal, and that is why I consistently fly the 'old IL2' with its older graphics but fully immersive campaigns (apparently most people don't like that style of flight simming)...

Why is it that a die hard flight simmer like me consistently goes back to an older out of date game, when there is a 'successor' that is carrying on that famous brand name?

Those old sims have that sort of content precisely because they're old. I don't imagine all those campaigns came new in the box with them. It takes a long time to develop that stuff.


Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K @4.7GHz | Corsair H80iGT Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC 11GB | 240gb Intel 520 Series SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | Samsung U28D590D UHD 28" Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 766
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 766
Originally Posted By: Bucksnort

Is there anyone who has a better explanation for why BoS is floundering on Steam? Sharpe, Bearcat, anyone?

Those graphs don't show anything except who's playing that bought it on Steam. But it's not sales data. If you want a simple metric of sucess just look at the fact they decided to make another game. Now that formula might not be exactly what you want and many of us would like to see improvements. But people usually don't replicate failure. Therefore someone must feel BoS is sucessful enough to warrant repeating.

Now if you ask me if I'd rather have:

A. The Battle of Moscow
B. A Career Mode for Battle of Stalingrad.

I'd pick B. But I don't have to make a living selling these games.

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 27,044
Likes: 26
W
Lifer
Lifer
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 27,044
Likes: 26
Read the whole thread. Got a headache now.
Having met Jason in person I know he is nowhere near the ***hole that is being claimed by some in this thread.

If you have the time stop by Planes of Fame this Saturday Jason. It's event day, the SBD is the featured aircraft, and we can catch up. smile


Wheels


Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 560
L
Member
Member
L Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 560
Originally Posted By: wheelsup_cavu
Read the whole thread. Got a headache now.
Having met Jason in person I know he is nowhere near the ***hole that is being claimed by some in this thread.

If you have the time stop by Planes of Fame this Saturday Jason. It's event day, the SBD is the featured aircraft, and we can catch up. smile


Wheels


I don't think anyone is saying is an #%&*$# personally. I think people are talking about his business skills, and communication with people who purchased this last product.

There were neighbors of Ted Bundy that thought he was a "nice, handsome, friendly man" too. Does not mean what he did was not horrible. Same with a few hedge fund managers, and Ponzi scheme azzhats.

Not comparing him to a murderer but you get the point. His "nice" personality does not flow in his business. I also have never seen someone play the victim so much either. Aside from his wackjob outlook on a "good" product, I assume he is a nice enough guy.

Page 7 of 22 1 2 … 5 6 7 8 9 … 21 22

Moderated by  CyBerkut 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,077,616 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1