SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,632
S
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,632
MS hasnt invalidated any of my keys when going from XP to 7 and then from 7 to 8.


HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 10,845
J
Veteran
Veteran
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 10,845
Went from Win 8 down to Win 7 ultimate after getting my new computer. Not so sure
I will ever update to 10. I might test it and see if I like it. I don`t mind Win8.1
running on my Nokia Lumia Icon. More a less where 8 shoulda been kept.


Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 25,177
Likes: 2
R
Lifer
Lifer
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 25,177
Likes: 2
Ah interesting... much lost in translation/understanding with the "free for the first year".

I wonder if I can upgrade my System Builder 7 Ultimate to work on "unlimited" devices...

However, what worries me is that the system may be free, but chances are they want a personalized account now. I have no interest to sign up for a "Microsoft Passport" or any of that junk X-Live whatever service.

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 19,794
A
Veteran
Veteran
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 19,794
Originally Posted By: SkateZilla
MS hasnt invalidated any of my keys when going from XP to 7 and then from 7 to 8.


Ah, thanks. I was going from the EULA terms, not realizing it wasn't technologically enforced.


WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,632
S
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,632
They may do that for certain Regions,

Anothrr thing to consider is my status w/ MS since 2002, I've been testing Xbox Hardware abd Software, as well as Windows and other software.

Even if it does, I'll likely just dual boot abd purchase another Windows 7 license from them, I have 6 Win7 licenses as I bought 3 copies of HP then later bought 2 of Ultimate, abd upgraded from XP to 7 on one PC, right now I have 2 HP licenses not being used anymore, So I could simply change my License Key.


HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,082
-
Veteran
Veteran
- Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,082
Hmmmm.... free for the first year?? At first I was skeptical, I thought they're going with the route they went with MS Office --- subscription based. Apparently, this is a "free product" as long as I have Win7/8/8.1, right? Well, I hope WinX has the same effect as when Win7 came into the market. If so, then I'll be upgrading to WinX ASAP.

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,632
S
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,632
Originally Posted By: - Ice
Hmmmm.... free for the first year?? At first I was skeptical, I thought they're going with the route they went with MS Office --- subscription based. Apparently, this is a "free product" as long as I have Win7/8/8.1, right? Well, I hope WinX has the same effect as when Win7 came into the market. If so, then I'll be upgrading to WinX ASAP.


they need to make the headline more obvious,

WINDOWS X WILL BE COMPLETELY FREE TO USERS THAT UPGRADE WITHIN THE FIRST YEAR, IT'S NOT A TRIAL, NOT A SUBSCRIPTION, IT'S A COMPLETELY AUTHENTIC LICENSE.
AFTER THE FIRST YEAR ANY NEW LICENSE PURCHASES WILL BE AT FULL RETAIL COST.


HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,296
M
Crazy Courier
Senior Member
Crazy Courier
Senior Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,296
Free sounds good to me.

But one thing concerned me, if I upgrade my retail copy of Win7 will I keep the retail benefit of being able to use it on my next system or will it be like OEM and I'l need a new copy of Windows.


Asus Maximus XI Hero
i9-9900K
32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
Corsair H115i
Corsair RM850X PSU
Phanteks Evolv X
Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
Win 10
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 9,573
Likes: 11
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 9,573
Likes: 11
Originally Posted By: Mark Aisthorpe
...will it be like OEM and I'l need a new copy of Windows.


So far, I've always bought OEM. While I've never cheated to the extent of putting it on two computers at one time, I do move it to my new machine or my upgraded machine at times. Usually, it reactivates -- provided it was on the old machine for many months or a year. Apparently, their activation data times out.

I have 9 paid for OEM copies of Windows 8. All but two are in service. With Windows 8, they seem to be keeping better/longer records. I've had a couple times where it installed but, then, said I had a non-official copy. In that case, I call a telephone number and type in a long code. Then, it activates.

Perhaps, with W10, they will have perfected (from their viewpoint) the OEM activation record keeping, and I won't be able to reuse it. We'll see. But, in the mean time, all my XP, Vista, W7, W8, W8.1 OEM copies reactivated multiple times as I retired older computers or made major upgrades.

For what its worth.


Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 24"P (180hz/1080p) + Samsung 32" Odyssey Neo G7 4K 1000R Curved (165Hz/4K/2160p) + 24"P (180hz/1080p), AMD R9-9950X, 64GB [email protected], GIGABYTE X870E AORUS Master MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~58TB storage, 1300W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, EVGA X20 Mouse, W11 Pro
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,632
S
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,632
They cant make it only one time use because hardware components fail.

Im not gonna buy a new license everytime my MachineID changes.lol


HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,632
S
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,632
Windows X Upgrade will be distributed through Windows Update optional Items on Release Day for All Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 8.1 Mobile and RT Devices


HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 19,794
A
Veteran
Veteran
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 19,794
Easy enough.


WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 135
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 135
Not sure if anyone knows but:

If I upgrade to WinX via Win Update, after the year-long free offer has expired, is there any way to re-install WinX (I currently have iso files of Win7).

I usually re-install every 18-24 months or so, just to clean the OS and start again.

Doesn't matter if I can't, I've certainly got my money's worth from Win7. smile

- Horsey

Last edited by WarHorsey; 01/25/15 03:45 AM.

"When experienced by a fixed wing pilot for the first time this trait serves to highlight the feelings of inadequacy already being felt in the presence of an Iroquois helicopter pilot" - Bell UH-1H Iroquois Basic Operator's Technique Manual
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 9,573
Likes: 11
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 9,573
Likes: 11
Like W7 and W8.1, W10 should have an "image" maker app in the Control Panel.

Install, W10 and make an "image" of your system C: drive. The "image" can be reinstalled at any time. It will take your computer back to the "exact moment" you made the "image" -- with all installed software, games (on C: drive), etc working.

For W7, W8.1, and (hopefully) W10, one should consider making an image of the C: drive roughly every month or two for easier system recovery -- should that be needed. Some very serious users might consider much more frequent "imaging".


Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 24"P (180hz/1080p) + Samsung 32" Odyssey Neo G7 4K 1000R Curved (165Hz/4K/2160p) + 24"P (180hz/1080p), AMD R9-9950X, 64GB [email protected], GIGABYTE X870E AORUS Master MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~58TB storage, 1300W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, EVGA X20 Mouse, W11 Pro
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,632
S
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,632
Originally Posted By: WarHorsey
Not sure if anyone knows but:

If I upgrade to WinX via Win Update, after the year-long free offer has expired, is there any way to re-install WinX (I currently have iso files of Win7).

I usually re-install every 18-24 months or so, just to clean the OS and start again.

Doesn't matter if I can't, I've certainly got my money's worth from Win7. smile

- Horsey


MS usually Posts the ISO's on their Storage Site (DigitalRiver)


HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,632
S
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,632
running the latest beta build, still cant connect to my Xbox One frown

it shows up, but when I click connect the connection fails...

ahh well, a few more months then RC Comes out.


HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,368
Likes: 19
C
Veteran
Veteran
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,368
Likes: 19
I had a notification this morning that I can reserve Win 10 for my machine and that it will notify me when it's ready to install.This is a marketing ploy right? I can adopt Win 10 at any time for free during the first year? I was going to sit back and wait for the reviews.

Has anyone tried installing it to their main machine? Does it have to do a clean install?


If you watch Jaws backwards, it's a heart warming story about a shark that spits out so many people that they have to open a beach.
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,714
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,714
Also got the notification. Via this method, can you still do a clean install or is it only that awful upgrade stuff, where it makes some crappy installation with a bunch of carried over files?

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,368
Likes: 19
C
Veteran
Veteran
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,368
Likes: 19
I'm still waiting to gather up the cash to build my new desktop,shouldn't be long now.Here is what I plan to do,is it ok to do this?

I was given an old laptop that had Win 7 on it.It was scrap but I extracted the product key.I will install Win 7 to my new machine from an ISO,validate it with the extracted key and install Win 10.I will keep my gaming laptop on 7 until I know it's safe to upgrade.Sound feasible?


If you watch Jaws backwards, it's a heart warming story about a shark that spits out so many people that they have to open a beach.
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 49,716
J
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 49,716
Yes, I think you can fease that.



The Jedi Master


The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,078,858 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1