SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,026
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,026
Likes: 66
Originally Posted By: Bill_Grant
I can tell you that Cheap Vodka will hurt you. wink

I've heard horror stories about the Smirnoff hangovers.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 901
H
Member
Member
H Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 901
High end vodka is a scam

Vodka is desigend to have a neutral taste. Ideally as mixer and to get results.
Destill the raw material properly. This can be done in a very technical scientific way.

Once you reach a certail level you only pay for marketing. Russian Standard or Parliament are good a�nd resonably priced

With single malt whiskey you get something for your money. In a way you still get scammed.
The stuff is mass produced for a global market by large cooperations that just want to maximise their profit.
Singe malt whiskey is not created by bearded rugged scotsmen that follow traditions. It is created by process engineers. Still there are more ways to create different and intensive tastes adjusting the raw materials (how much smoke is used drying the barley) shape of the stills and the aging process for example

Still we pay a lot for an idealized image that is not true.


Last edited by hansundfranz; 05/08/15 02:10 PM.
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,064
Likes: 19
K
It's KRT not Kurt
Hotshot
It's KRT not Kurt
Hotshot
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,064
Likes: 19
Luksasowa, Polish potato Vodka, very smooth (doesn't taste like turpentine).


Win 11 Pro
MSI B450M-A PRO MAX AM4 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz (4.25 GHz Max Boost) 95W Desktop Processor 16GB RAM
MSI GTX 1070 8Gb
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 6,968
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 6,968
Not quite. The price of Single Malts largely depends on the number of casks (the therefore filled bottles) produced. Simple supply and demand. And currently, demand for "rare" Whiskies is high, regardless of taste.

BTW, many distilleries have been bought up by large companies/ conglomerates (Diageo, Suntory, Pernot Ricard, Louis Vuitton Mo�t Hennessy, Bacardi, Campari...), but there are still privately owned distillers (Springbank) and independent bottlers (and distillers) like Signatory or Gordon & MacPhail.


And Russian Standard is priced in a way that I would not call it a "scam": the normal 0.7 l bottle somewhere between 10 and 12 Euros.

Last edited by Jayhawk; 05/08/15 02:19 PM.

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 22,410
L
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
Lifer
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
Lifer
L Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 22,410
Originally Posted By: toonces
Originally Posted By: Tarnsman
Back in the day, somewhere around 18. We used to get a quart glass bottle of OJ dump out about a quarter to a third and fill it up with Smirnoff blue label (the 100 proof stuff) shake it up and get loaded. Well that worked until I got so hung over one night that the next morning at the breakfast table the smell of orange juice made me hurl all morning long.

I have not had a vodka and OJ in almost 30 years.



I had the exact same experience with Southern Comfort. Just the smell of it makes me want to puke and it's been 25 years since that night!

Sorry I can't help with Vodka. I would like to try drinking it though as an alternative to Scotch and Jameson. I'll have to try Belvedere if it's not too expensive. How does it compare price-wise to other Vodkas?


Belvedere is more expensive than most other vodkas.


The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 22,410
L
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
Lifer
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
Lifer
L Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 22,410
Originally Posted By: hansundfranz
High end vodka is a scam

Vodka is desigend to have a neutral taste. Ideally as mixer and to get results.
Destill the raw material properly. This can be done in a very technical scientific way.

Once you reach a certail level you only pay for marketing. Russian Standard or Parliament are good a�nd resonably priced

With single malt whiskey you get something for your money. In a way you still get scammed.
The stuff is mass produced for a global market by large cooperations that just want to maximise their profit.
Singe malt whiskey is not created by bearded rugged scotsmen that follow traditions. It is created by process engineers. Still there are more ways to create different and intensive tastes adjusting the raw materials (how much smoke is used drying the barley) shape of the stills and the aging process for example

Still we pay a lot for an idealized image that is not true.



Vodka might be designed to have a neutral taste, but that design goal isn't always met. If making a Belvedere quality vodka were easily done for less money, then why are there so many cheap vodkas that taste like #%&*$# in comparison? I'm not arguing whether or not Belvedere is overpriced, but I am arguing that the quality is by far superior based on years of drinking a decent variety of liquors.


The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 901
H
Member
Member
H Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 901
@Jayhawk, yeah russian standard is an example of the good enough cutoff.

Stuff like grey goose or belvedere in the 30 euro region is what I was refering to.

Whiskey, yeah good point about supply and demand. Due to the aging needed they can not ramp up output quickly if demand rises.

What they can do (and unfortunately do) is reduce the age of their standard product and sell a lot of whiskey without age information.

Highland Park einar is a good example. 55� per liter and most likely quite young. if it would be 10 years or older you can bet they�d put that on the bottle.
Talisker is doing the same with their storm.

Quite a lot of examples here

Last edited by hansundfranz; 05/08/15 05:11 PM.
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 850
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 850
Regarding the post with the honey lemon throw it all down in one shot method of drinking vodka, what is the preferred way to drink vodka? Is it a sipping drink, or a shot drink?

Like, when I drink Jameson, I like to put a couple of finger's worth in a rocks-type glass with about 4 ice cubes and sip it. Is that an appropriate way to drink vodka? Do you drink it straight?


"A week or even a month for someone basically saying "shucks, this is pants" maybe. But their banhammer only has the forever setting. Gotta set phasers to stun for the localization of female undergarments, not kill yo." - Frederf
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 12,417
Likes: 12
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 12,417
Likes: 12
Favorite vodka?

The one on the breath of a total spinner.

Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 901
H
Member
Member
H Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 901
The russians/polish drink it cold but not freezing say around 5�celsius. Neat out of large shot glasses or small water glasses. Its also combined with salty food, Bread, Caviar (normal russians have the orange cheaper one) salted cucumbers, stuff like that.

If you drink alone and/or without food you�d probabyl do it for the effect alone.
Strangely this is frowned upon.

Last edited by hansundfranz; 05/08/15 06:04 PM.
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,028
Likes: 2
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,028
Likes: 2
My favourite vodka is called Green mark, it's great Straight from the freezer or mixed with coke or orange.

I've always wanted to try the Polish spiritus, the Polish guy that used to work with us used to talk about it and it sounded like it was worth a shot or two.


That Farrow bloke you executed today, are you sure he's dead?
Well I chopped his head off, that usually does the trick.
Yes, don't get clever with me Baldrick. I just thought you might have lopped off a leg or something by mistake.
No, the thing I chopped off had a nose.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,718
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,718
Ah, vodka!

Grey Goose is my current favorite. Oddly enough, the French seem to have broken the code on really smooth vodka.

Put it in the freezer. Pour into shot glass. Drink.

Good alcohol needs no flavoring, watering down, or mixing.


The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 211
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 211
I'm a fan of Tito's if I'm drinking vodka. It's inexpensive and they don't mess around with fancy bottles or marketing. Just, in my opinion of course, a good tasting, smooth vodka.

It's out of Austin but it seems like you can find it commonly outside of Texas as well.

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,465
I will take you to Jabba
Senior Member
I will take you to Jabba
Senior Member
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,465

A strange brew called Green Moon Vodka. It comes infused with absinthe (hence the green part).

A few cocktails of that with pineapple juice and melon liqueur and...

and...

Err... was was I taking about again?

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 862
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 862
Originally Posted By: Friday
My favourite vodka is called Green mark, it's great Straight from the freezer or mixed with coke or orange.

I've always wanted to try the Polish spiritus, the Polish guy that used to work with us used to talk about it and it sounded like it was worth a shot or two.


I taught at a technical college in Poland for a year in the mid 90s. My students usual routine involved downing a shot of Spiritus from a bottle straight from the freezer after finishing off a pint. I tried keeping up with them but for the first few months, even the girls would put me under the table. I eventually was able to keep up with them but that involved the worst montage ever.

A few years later, I was working in Japan and Spiritus started showing up in the liquor stores there. I convinced most of my local haunts to get a bottle in and it quickly became the go to drink as the penalty shot in drinking games (Japanese love to play drinking games). Rather than putting it in the freezer, they'd pour a shot out at room temperature and then light it on fire. Drinking it straight when it's been in the freezer isn't too bad but flaming spiritus is just plain evil.

Anyway, as I posted earlier, check out a Russian vodka called Five Lakes. It's by far the smoothest vodka I've ever had. Almost no burn at all.

http://fbworld.com/2013/02/21/georges-rants-and-raves-5-lakes-vodka/


Last edited by mugwump; 05/08/15 11:43 PM.

S = k ln W
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 28
C
Junior Member
Junior Member
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 28
The best vodka I've ever had was Crystal Head Vodka. Just ask Rider/Smokey10/Mol for a voucher.


Gaming System: W7 64bit, AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz, ASUS M5A99X EVO, CORSAIR XMS3 8GB, GeForce GTX 960 4GB, Kingston HyperX 3K 120gb SSD(OS), 2 WD 1TB 7200rpm (Gaming)
Sims: A10C, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV, FC3
Controllers: Saitek Pro Pedals, ThrustMaster Warthog, TrackIR 5 & Proclip, Logitech G35 Wheel
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 850
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 850
Ok, so when I was at the liquor store tonight I paid closer attention to the Vodka aisle.

Belvedere wasn't too badly priced at ~$30 for a 750ml while Jameson was about ~26 for a 750ml so now I have a point of comparison.

I also saw Tito there, but I don't remember the price. I want to say in the $17 range but I'm not sure.

There were a lot of brands I didn't recognize, though. I'll have to take closer notes next time.

Regardless, I grabbed a 1.75 of Clan MacGreggor, so that's all you really need to know about me.


"A week or even a month for someone basically saying "shucks, this is pants" maybe. But their banhammer only has the forever setting. Gotta set phasers to stun for the localization of female undergarments, not kill yo." - Frederf
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,028
Likes: 2
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,028
Likes: 2
I bet that took it's toll on the ole liver Mugwump dizzy

I nearly got to Poland a few years ago but my daughter was hospitalised the day I was due to fly, my friends loved the place, all the lagers are silly strong too, they didn't enjoy the food so much though!


That Farrow bloke you executed today, are you sure he's dead?
Well I chopped his head off, that usually does the trick.
Yes, don't get clever with me Baldrick. I just thought you might have lopped off a leg or something by mistake.
No, the thing I chopped off had a nose.
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,010
P
PV1 Offline
sometime mudslinger
Senior Member
sometime mudslinger
Senior Member
P Offline
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,010
This talk about purity and quality reminded me, I saw
someone on a TV talk show (a regular one, not an
infomercial) promoting Skyy vodka. He said he had
developed it because he had allergies and was unable
to drink any alcohol, and he was sure it was not the
alcohol but trace impurities, so he had this stuff made
from pure ethanol and distilled water, and sure enough,
he could drink it and got no reaction. So, it's guaranteed
the cleanest vodka you can buy.

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,144
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,144
Russian Standard is my favourite and the only one I enjoy neat.

Although, I have never tried any of the expensive vodkas that are out there.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,075,123 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1