My fellow pilots! This is it! If you are in the mood for immersive simulation it does not get better than this. I have liked a lot of Modules but this one has me fishbedic. I am just sick with it. I program and fly and train Mig-21. First of all let me say, this is not for days when I feel like playing Strike Fighter series. This is no IL2 1946 and you will find yourself sacrificing time to study and get yourself organized. This is 100% no joke full immersion. The bar has been raised. We could never go back to anything else. The '21 makes Flaming Cliffs 3 F15 feel like a game (not really but you get my drift). I believe the only module that rivals its complexity is the A-10C. You tube videos by xxJohnxx go a long way to help get the intricacies of this module sorted out. This module has dispelled a lot of myths in my mind about the Fishbed. It IS maneuverable and fun to fly. It is a powerhouse when well handled. It goes like stick too. The first thing I realized is I had to learn to use the SAU because it can be a bear to fly with no Auto pilot. Just fighting it through the air trying to keep it straight in AB is hard. But when you get it right it is very satisfying. I fly a bit of Navigation(I am learning) and a little combat one vs one every night. So far this is one of my favorite modules of all time. A couple of weeks in and I feel like I am just touching the surface. There is lot more to this module.
My hat is off to them Leathernecks. They have brought us the business! Thank you for this unforgettable simulation and good luck in your future endeavors. I know you are here to STAY!
Hi Maico, +1 on your post, I'm a Fishbedic too! This module by Leathernecks gives me the same feeling I got in RL flying (retired). In other words,while piloting, if you aren't doing something all the time you are not doing it right.
After a week of training just started into online, very demanding but so rewarding when you put it all together. Next thing on my list is to find or make up some phase checklists (Starting, Taxi, Before T.O., Fence In, etc.) One forgotten item make a difference in this plane, just the way I like it.
Welcome to the ward Weav. Take the bed on the end and no funny stuff with the nurses... Sounds like you got a bad case of it too. I started with a TO list on MS Excel. What stick you got Weav? I wish I could play online. Problem is I am awful at this. I even had the little Hawk kick my butt...TWICE! The Hawk can be a fun opponent and teach us what NOT to do with the Fishbed. Its fun. I can really relate to the comment about being busy in the pit. Take offs, Landings and combat are all full of drama. I am trying to come to grips with navigation and this holds its own difficulties with the instruments. How was I ever a Recon goon? Easy to get lost doing Mach2 in the wrong direction. Tonight I am treating myself to a steak, a glass of wine and a SPRD takeoff! I better save the wine till after. And yes, the LG stays. I got used to the extra real estate quickly.
Yes, went online, the formation take off went well but got far behind because of bombload. As you know, the 21 requires a high angle dive to get the pipper displayed in ground attack mode. Well our target was in a deep valley and with the 5g limit on dive recovery with stores you can imagine how many underwear changes this involved. Anyway, with full load of bombs and rockets discharged I managed to eliminate one AK carrying #%&*$#. Then tried some gun work but as you know, if you don't keep track of your fuel state, it might involve a call to AAA. Made it back without damage, tired but ready for more!
I find that for my Mig skill level (close to none), sticking with the coop mutliplayer servers, it's much more rewarding.
(My stick, throttle and pedals are all CH Products.)
See you in the ward...there's this nurse named Heidi, oh I won't go into it.
Good account and great job getting back in one piece. It takes some skill to get down on the ground with the Fishbed. It was just soooo not designed for that. But that is what makes it fun. I might make a macros, Drop the nose, Lock target, fire rockets, change underpants... I just got Mig-21 Units of the Vietnam War on Kindle for PC from Amazon. It has some good accounts and pictures. A truly good bargain at 10 bucks. How do I get started online? Do you play on the DCS server? Is there a TS channel? I imagine you are dealing with a much more mature crowd. Sounds like fun. CH, really? Have you tried anything else? I've had them all. Now I am a Saitek man. My Thrustmaster Warthog is in retirement. I have no doubt about the robustness of the CH. The Software seems cool too. I just could not deal with the joystick X and Y movement. But if it works for you, more power to ya' BTW, psst, psst, Heidi is a hoe lol.
Starting online was very easy. Just go to main SimHQ page and look at the Teamspeak display on lower left. (around 8-11pm for me, otherwise 0100-0400 UTC) I have found fellow Fishbedics at DCS World, Firehouse, and Hollo Pointe TS 3 channels. Then click on multiplayer in game, get the servers displayed, and choose the one corresponding to the TS channel you are on (or just ask one of the Fishbedics what server they are on, might require password). Nice place for good, mature co-op. (Oh, have to go now, Heidi is inquiring about the Mig's cone extension system.)
I nearly spit up my coffee on the Heidi comment there at the bottom. Too much fun. I'm at GMT +3 so this is defenetly a weekend thing for me. However, I am intrigued to meet others with the same afflictions as us. I may just give it a whirl. Right now Im trying to get my NPP and KPP to get me RTB so I can go PP. My crew chief don't like it when I do it in the Pit.
I always had a soft spot for the MiG-21, but this is a true sports car. I just didn't expect it to be so much fun to fly! And Leatherneck's work is simply exquisite. It's up there with the Black Shark. A masterpiece.
This video sums it up pretty well:
By the way, last week I ordered a printed copy of the manual to have it always at hand. The PDF on the iPad is nice, but nothing beats a proper wire-bound manual. Always under my pillow
Common in Cptn, We all wheezing and coughing but pulling to get back into the air. She is a sweet bird indeed. Got me two Eagles yesterday offline. My most demanding adversary yet. Most importantly I am getting the hang of navigation.