SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#4091990 03/14/15 03:53 AM
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 3,178
L
LB
Senior Member
LB
Senior Member
L Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 3,178
iOS vs Android
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 03/14/15 03:50 AM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,699
N
One Man Wolfpack
Hotshot
One Man Wolfpack
Hotshot
N Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,699
Running 4.4 Kit Kat on an LG Nexus 5. Waiting for a stable release of 5.02 or 5.10 before I upgrade again, as the last phone I did that on, Lollipop pretty much wrecked it- lots of stability and crashing issues.


" And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"- John F. Kennedy

"NUKE-ular. It's pronounced NUKE-ular."- Homer Simpson

AMD FX-8350 Vishera @ 4.0 Ghz
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB
CM Storm Series Trooper
Samsung 840 series 500 GB OS/ Game drive
WD Green 2TB Media Drive
Thermaltake Black Widow 850W PSU
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 9,710
L
Legsie is such a
Hotshot
Legsie is such a
Hotshot
L Offline
Joined: May 2000
Posts: 9,710
LG Nexus 5 (rooted) with Android 5.01 ("Lollipop") and a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition.

NN, weird. Lollipop was better on every count on my Nexus* - smoother and faster, better memory handling, and stable as a fully laden oil tanker in a shallow canal.




* except one... it's now impossible to deselect "Avoid poor connections" in the advanced WiFi settings


There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more inexplicable.
There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,825
Likes: 84
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,825
Likes: 84
Android no question.

Running 5.02 on a rooted G3, had a Z2 and Moto X+1 already this year but the G3 blows them out of water. Nexus 6 looks nice though.

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,581
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,581
Not an android expert, but betweeen some phones and my declining nexus 7, it does seem to corrupt over time. There is some maintenance you can do on the nexus from a maintenance screen, or even factory reset very easily. However, it just doesn't last long before you get the slow downs. Ironically, the worst of the issues comes while using Chrome browser, so you can just switch to firefox to get around the worst of it. I suspect heat just eventually degrades the hardware some too, but it isn't like it feels warm often.

Can't comment on IOS. Too pricey, I'd just buy another Nexus.
I like my wife's Win8 Asus tablet, even came with a detachable keyboard. Very reasonably priced, unlike the full laptop a step up the line.


·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 8,677
K
Hotshot
Hotshot
K Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 8,677
Was on iPhone from iPhone3 until this last year, good phones but I got tired of iOS not having any new features just same old boring thing every year with new camera, bought a Samsung Note4 for myself and the wife, we both love it, lots more functionality and removable battery and SD card, don't miss iOS at all.


[email protected], GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,368
Likes: 19
C
Veteran
Veteran
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,368
Likes: 19
Android.Never tried iOS but Apple=no sale.


If you watch Jaws backwards, it's a heart warming story about a shark that spits out so many people that they have to open a beach.
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,094
H
Member
Member
H Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,094
Using a windows phone at work, it's okay but compared to Android it blows. We're Mac'ed up, so it would be useful to get an iOS purely for calender, facetime and Keynote/pages.


To..
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,581
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,581
I love my windows phone, but because of the camera. Very reliable, hasn't locked up or crashed like the android phones we had did. Win8 is nice on a phone. If you want apps and games though, the market just isn't there.


·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 10,845
J
Veteran
Veteran
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 10,845
Have a windows phone to, bought a Nokia Lumia Icon last Oct. It has a 20 mega pixal camera
on it to. Takes better photos then my old Canon T2i. It came with Win8 and I upgraded it
to 8.1. Works fantastic.

Have 3 Ipod Touches with latest Gen being 5th gen. IOS works great on them.

My wife and son both have Android tablets and phones. They complain about it all the
time.


Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,581
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,581
It really is a helluva camera, isn't it? Mine's a Lumia 1020 and the picture quality is amazing.


·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,921
K
Member
Member
K Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,921
Never had iOS.

I currently have a HTC One M7 for over a year, great device. The last update to Lollopo came this week, so unlike other manufacturers HTC supports older devices.


i7 6700k @ 4,5 GHz
GTX1070
Asus Z170 Pro Gamer
16 GB RAM
500 GB Crucial CT500MX200 SSD
Toshiba DT01ACA300 HDD
Samsung SyncMaster BX2450 LED
W10 64
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,768
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,768
While i know Apple invented it, i think the Android (sic!) clones have gotten better than the original, over time..

I had two iPhones, now i have a HTC One with a 'lollipop' update a few days ago. Imho by hardware alone, i think the HTC is better. I do not miss anything, in comparison. The SlowMo camera software of the new iPhones is cool, though. But then is this tech really necessary, just to make a tiger of your cat, in a video? biggrin

Last edited by Catfish; 03/14/15 06:29 PM.
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,545
T
Hotshot
Hotshot
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,545
I like iOS more, but haven't used Android in nearly 2 years. Maybe things have changed.


Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,409
Z
Member
Member
Z Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,409
Android here, but it's not iOS itself that I hate, it's the whole Apple "experience".

I have a fairly large family (getting close to 40 people local, more still out of state).

We're about 50/50 Android and Apple.

Apple: If you're "all in" (You roll with an iPhone, Mac, Apple TV, iPad, etc.) and don't mind shoving thousand dollar bills into it all the time there is a certain "seamlessness" you just don't quite get with an Android/Windows life.

At the same time there's been countless times the Apple heads envied many, many things us Android heads can do that they can't (at least not without jailbreaking, but few of us Android heads even had a need to root...)

In an abstract analysis it's really a wash, but once you put money into the equation Android wins IMO.

There are categories in life where I'm willing to "overpay" for the sake of convenience.

I've had no inconveniences with Android that ever made me think it's time for me to "pay up and get real".

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 49,716
J
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 49,716
I've got an iPhone 6 (work phone) and a G5 (personal), so I have experience with both.

For simple tasks iOS is easier to get them done (take pics, check weather, etc) but then you hit a wall and need to find more apps, and probably pay for them, to get it done.

The Android (I'm on 4.4.4) is a little less user-friendly to start with, but allows more and then it's so much easier to figure out how to do more on top of that.

It's literally like a PC (even though it's not a Windows phone) to the iOS Mac (which I also struggle with to get anything done whenever I use one).



The Jedi Master


The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 2,165
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 2,165
I've used iOS for the last 5 years with an iPhone 4 and 5 and also a 3rd gen iPad but on my last phone upgrade I switched to Android as did my wife and enjoying it. My wife took a little longer to get used to the way Android does things but I like a lot of the features like the way the browser gives a small zoomed in bubble when lots of small links are grouped together so you can choose the right one and selecting text and placing the cursor in a block of text is far easier on my 5" Sony Xperia Z3 than it is on the 9" screen of the iPad. Also in recent updates both my wife and I have noticed how our iPads have slowed down a lot and Safari seems to hang more than ever either the bookmarks pop out window freezes in place or it just locks up completely.

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 20,152
T
Lifer
Lifer
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 20,152
I've had 3 iphones, happy with the look and feel. My brother has the Android and I don't like the look of it at all.


XboxLive Tag: DOBrienTG1969

Dave O'Brien,
Top Gun Photography
Nikon D500 & D7200
Nikkor 70-200VR AF-s F/2.8
Sigma 50-500 & 17-50 F2.8
Sigma 150-600
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,028
Likes: 2
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,028
Likes: 2
Android here, Nexus 6 phablet running lollipop 5.0.1.

I had a few iPhones but just got bored of them.


That Farrow bloke you executed today, are you sure he's dead?
Well I chopped his head off, that usually does the trick.
Yes, don't get clever with me Baldrick. I just thought you might have lopped off a leg or something by mistake.
No, the thing I chopped off had a nose.
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,169
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,169
Had iOS for years but was thinking of getting a Samsung - I also like the prospect of a Win 10 phone so might consider that when its out.


'Crashing and Burning since 1987'

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,070,412 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1