SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 23 1 2 … 4 5 6 7 8 … 22 23
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 33
L
Junior Member
Junior Member
L Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 33
N.B. Digital Image Design ("DID/DiD" ie. EF2000 and Total Air War) not to be confused with Digital Integration ("DI", ie. Tornado, Apache Longbow, Hind, F-16 Fighting Falcon and F/A-18 Super Hornet).

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 116
H
Member
Member
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 116
Originally Posted By: LeadHead
N.B. Digital Image Design ("DID/DiD" ie. EF2000 and Total Air War) not to be confused with Digital Integration ("DI", ie. Tornado, Apache Longbow, Hind, F-16 Fighting Falcon and F/A-18 Super Hornet).


Man, All those combat flight sim's that where released in the late 90's. It seemed like their was a new combat flight simulation released ever other month. It was the golden age of flight simulation.


Heat2151
USN Retired'08 salute

Last edited by heat2151; 03/10/15 11:18 PM.

My World is simple, I answer to the CINC House: My Wife, my Kids, my troops: 2 German Shepherds.
I just love Flying Flight Sim's, and driving my 2017 Challenger SRT .

My Dark Blue Beast.
Cooler Master HAF X Blue-Liquid Cooled
Windows 10 64 Bit
Intel i7 6950X [email protected] Ghz
Asus Rampage V X99
Asus GTX 980 GDDR5 4Gb
Corsair 64 Gb DDR4 (8x8Gb)
Corsair AX 1500 Watt P/S
2 SSD's (1 Tb)
2 WD Velociraptor's(1 Tb)
2 Spin point F4(2 Tb)
2 WD Green(6 Tb)
Track iR Pro, X-55 HOTAS & Pro rudder pedals.
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,632
S
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,632
We had a new Janes game every few months smile


HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 116
H
Member
Member
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 116
Originally Posted By: SkateZilla
We had a new Janes game every few months smile


Skate,

Here's the one that started my addiction to combat flight simulations. This was another great one released late 1997. biggrin




Heat2151
USN Retired'08


My World is simple, I answer to the CINC House: My Wife, my Kids, my troops: 2 German Shepherds.
I just love Flying Flight Sim's, and driving my 2017 Challenger SRT .

My Dark Blue Beast.
Cooler Master HAF X Blue-Liquid Cooled
Windows 10 64 Bit
Intel i7 6950X [email protected] Ghz
Asus Rampage V X99
Asus GTX 980 GDDR5 4Gb
Corsair 64 Gb DDR4 (8x8Gb)
Corsair AX 1500 Watt P/S
2 SSD's (1 Tb)
2 WD Velociraptor's(1 Tb)
2 Spin point F4(2 Tb)
2 WD Green(6 Tb)
Track iR Pro, X-55 HOTAS & Pro rudder pedals.
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 49,716
J
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 49,716
Originally Posted By: heat2151
Originally Posted By: SkateZilla
We had a new Janes game every few months smile


Skate,

Here's the one that started my addiction to combat flight simulations. This was another great one released late 1997. biggrin




Heat2151
USN Retired'08


N00b!!!! biggrin

I never got FA because I'd already bought USNF, the USMF addon, ATF, the NATO Fighters addons, and then USNF 97 which was USNF+USMF+Vietnam natively in Windows (the others were all DOS). When FA came out and it was nothing than all the others wrapped into one and running in Windows (when I had my config altered so I could boot into DOS instead of 95 and play DOS games directly) I skipped it.

I played Israeli Air Force after it, but was disappointed in the canned missions only and the need to jump between planes to succeed in most missions. I thus skipped the USAF sequel, although I heard later it was better, because I lost interest in the series with that.



The Jedi Master


The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,632
S
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,632
I had USNF, and a majority of the problems never got fixed until the MF expansion.

I had every Janes sim through F-18.

the WWII, Janes Attack Squadron, and JASF were meh.


HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,700
P
Hotshot
Hotshot
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,700
Janes's USAF, still badass to play even to this day...



Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 121
H
Member
Member
H Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 121
Originally Posted By: LeadHead
N.B. Digital Image Design ("DID/DiD" ie. EF2000 and Total Air War) not to be confused with Digital Integration ("DI", ie. Tornado, Apache Longbow, Hind, F-16 Fighting Falcon and F/A-18 Super Hornet).


Thank you. People always confuse DiD with DI. Probably because they were both awesome, just as their names were similar. Though DI actually did it more realistic in the Avionics department, whereas DiD was more gamey in TFX, EF2000 and TAW.

For DI's Super Hornet, they did actually "promise" to bring out an add-on that would add a Dynamic Campaign engine, similar to their Tornado. It never happened. But Call of Duty and The Sims happened, and the unwashed masses + the bean counters discovered the gaming market. This is why we can't have nice things anymore.

Regards
heartc

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,461
Likes: 8
F
Me, just me.
Member
Me, just me.
Member
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,461
Likes: 8
I got ATF and only played Longbow, that was the shiznit fo sho, but ATF pretty much didn't appeal to me and after that my taste for sims went elsewhere.

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 49,716
J
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 49,716
You never played F-14 FD??



The Jedi Master


The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,632
S
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,632
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
You never played F-14 FD??



The Jedi Master


FD abd FD Gold as well as JetFighter I, II, and III (IV+ were meh).

Top Gun Fire At Will (PC) was Good at the time, console versions and newer versions since sucked.


HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 116
H
Member
Member
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 116
Originally Posted By: SkateZilla
I had USNF, and a majority of the problems never got fixed until the MF expansion.

I had every Janes sim through F-18.

the WWII, Janes Attack Squadron, and JASF were meh.


Those where the days when the combat flight simulations came in a box sets with a complete books, multiple CD's, Complete Theater Maps, Full keyboard layouts, and in some cases t-shirts...man, good or bad, you got more bang for the buck, you actually got spoiled with all the extra stuff that was included in the box. And the price of these flight simulations was around $40 to $50 UDS. That was so cool, cool now it's all downloadable with everything else on a pdf file. rolleyes In the immortal words of Archie Bunker: biggrin



Here's another great one that proves my point:






salute
Heat2151
USN Retired'08

Last edited by heat2151; 03/13/15 03:18 PM.

My World is simple, I answer to the CINC House: My Wife, my Kids, my troops: 2 German Shepherds.
I just love Flying Flight Sim's, and driving my 2017 Challenger SRT .

My Dark Blue Beast.
Cooler Master HAF X Blue-Liquid Cooled
Windows 10 64 Bit
Intel i7 6950X [email protected] Ghz
Asus Rampage V X99
Asus GTX 980 GDDR5 4Gb
Corsair 64 Gb DDR4 (8x8Gb)
Corsair AX 1500 Watt P/S
2 SSD's (1 Tb)
2 WD Velociraptor's(1 Tb)
2 Spin point F4(2 Tb)
2 WD Green(6 Tb)
Track iR Pro, X-55 HOTAS & Pro rudder pedals.
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,477
Air Dominance Project
Member
Air Dominance Project
Member
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 2,477
As great as those games were for their time, and as much as I enjoyed the thick manuals, I wouldn't trade what we have now for what we had then. Back then, I remember having great stuff in MicroProse boxes, but I also mastered the original Gunship with a keyboard, monochrome monitor, and a 4.77Mhz XT. In the early 90s, we actually got a stick with a hat switch and more than 2 buttons (thank you kindly, Thrustmaster), a digital throttle that daisy-chained with the keyboard and you flipped dip-switches to select your game (again, H/T Thrustmaster), and the first real padlock view (Falcon 3.0). Now we have full-blown HOTAS systems, TrackIR, multiple controllers such as MFDs, and flight/systems modelling that was not possible back then. Graphics notwithstanding, these are more revolutionary than evolutionary enhancements to simming.

The thing is that this development costs a lot more money. No longer can a dev house put together a cool looking cockpit, fairly simple linear flight/damage model, some static views, and flat untextured terrain with pyramid mountains. As good as Falcon 4.0 was and is, it raised the bar to a very high level at exactly the time that publishers were jumping on the FPS/console train. Why spend 5+ years and who knows how much money on a great sim engine and campaign engine that will optimistically sell 50,000 copies when you can get a license for an existing FPS engine, hire some level designers, and crank out a game that will sell more copies with a greater profit margin per item sold? I can't blame publishers for this; if I were a stockholder in EA I would expect this.

The other thing: 25-30 years later, and the price point is still $40-50 for a title that takes a lot longer to develop, likely requires licensing, and has a guaranteed lower profit margin than its mainstream competitors. For that, I'll gladly read a PDF and reap the benefits we have gained.


-Home Fries

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
- Robert A. Heinlein

The average naval aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,111
W
Smooth Operator
Hotshot
Smooth Operator
Hotshot
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,111
Ahh yes, the good old days when 8-10 of us would invade the basement and connect every other computer together with null-model cables!

WC


"Your ballroom days are over, baby"

Find my DCS World missions at Wrecking Crew Projects. All released missions are free to download, modify and publicly host -- enjoy!
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,498
Likes: 36
F
I'm just a
Senior Member
I'm just a
Senior Member
F Online: Zombie
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,498
Likes: 36
Originally Posted By: HomeFries

stuff�


I disagree for the most part. The problem for me (and others) is that I find myself not flying sims as much as I used to because the "immersion" factor isn't there anymore.

It might be a difference between online vs offline flyers though�as an offline flyer�there just isn't much reason to keep flying if the "excitement" isn't there anymore. Sure�hyper realistic cockpits and systems are great�but if you wrap that up in a sterile and lifeless battlefield�matched up with AI that is barely serviceable, it's just not very fun.

In a time where we are asked to pay extra for a scarf in a flight sim�I don't see why a developer couldn't create some sort of campaign system and then charge for it. I would gladly pay $100 for a campaign system with AI enhancements that would breathe new life into the modules I already own.

Again�this is from an offline flyers perspective.


Asus TUF Z790 DDR5 plus Wifi
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Intel I7 14700k
32gb Ripjaws DDR5 @6000MHz
Nividia 5060 TI OC 16gb
2 NVMe and various Sata SSD drives 6tb
1200watt Seasonic Vertex PSU
______________________________________________________

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"



Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,632
S
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,632
Originally Posted By: Force10
Originally Posted By: HomeFries

stuff�


I disagree for the most part. The problem for me (and others) is that I find myself not flying sims as much as I used to because the "immersion" factor isn't there anymore.

It might be a difference between online vs offline flyers though�as an offline flyer�there just isn't much reason to keep flying if the "excitement" isn't there anymore. Sure�hyper realistic cockpits and systems are great�but if you wrap that up in a sterile and lifeless battlefield�matched up with AI that is barely serviceable, it's just not very fun.

In a time where we are asked to pay extra for a scarf in a flight sim�I don't see why a developer couldn't create some sort of campaign system and then charge for it. I would gladly pay $100 for a campaign system with AI enhancements that would breathe new life into the modules I already own.

Again�this is from an offline flyers perspective.


What missions are you running?

At any given time in SP missions I can F2 through at least 2dozen aircraft, and the radio.calls are practically endless when Im not switching to tower frequency.


HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 121
H
Member
Member
H Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 121
Not to forestall the answer, but I don't think the issue Force10 was talking about here is fully understood by looking at the number of aircraft in the air.

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,632
S
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 17,632
Well I was speaking more toward immersion.

Theres radio calls galore, in the engagement zone there are.friendly and enemy lines of ground forces shooting at each other.

That being said, DCS is no Ace Combat.

Last edited by SkateZilla; 03/13/15 07:05 PM.

HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 49,716
J
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 49,716
Originally Posted By: SkateZilla
Well I was speaking more toward immersion.

Theresmight be radio calls galore, in the engagement zone there may be.friendly and enemy lines of ground forces shooting at each other if you're lucky.

That being said, DCS is no Ace Combat.


FTFY.

If a mission maker devotes tons of time to making a mission that way, then you get to see that. If not, what you get is a small number of stock missions and campaigns of varying quality and a random mission generator that can't do that.

The old sims despite their crude graphics and modeling often made me feel like a pilot flying in a war. Current sims make me feel like a pilot flying a sim. As in a full simulator at a base doing training.

I would care about my pilots in those old sims, and feel something when they were lost. Now they feel no more real than the menus and I couldn't care less if my entire flight is wiped out during the mission, they're just 1s and 0s.




The Jedi Master


The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 121
H
Member
Member
H Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 121
Originally Posted By: SkateZilla
Well I was speaking more toward immersion.

Theres radio calls galore, in the engagement zone there are.friendly and enemy lines of ground forces shooting at each other.

That being said, DCS is no Ace Combat.


And Ace Combat is no flightsim. Your point being...?

Sorry, but it's just scary. I never really bought into the argument some people brought up that the "eastern" developers just don't get it, just don't understand what the sim community is talking about when they speak of immersion and dynamic campaigns etc. I thought they just didn't bother. But when looking at what some people even from the community are saying today and when I look at the disaster that is e.g. the IL2 BoS "campaign", I'm about to start believing they just don't get it. Maybe because they just might have never flown the old western sims. We should lock them all up in a room and force them to play Tornado, Falcon3, Stealth Fighter and SWOTL for a week or two. Honest. I'll pay for the food and beer / vodka. The latter might also help if there are any issues with the graphics. wink

Page 6 of 23 1 2 … 4 5 6 7 8 … 22 23

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,076,286 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1