SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 7,247
H
Hotshot
Hotshot
H Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 7,247
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted By: Harry-the-Ruskie

I thought one of the recent Rome TW games was soundly pilloried and trashed. Wasn't RTW II, I assume ? If you endorse this, I might as well pick it up


The initial release of the game last year was highly criticized and rightly so. It really was a bug-ridden mess. However, with all of the subsequent patches (over 10 of them) the game is now what it should have been on release.


OK good to know. Buying it now

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

J
JanesHQ
Unregistered
JanesHQ
Unregistered
J
My guess is less than 3%:)

Although i think it wouldn't be a good idea if all of a sudden sims got more and more popular. Then IMHO they would stop being sims and started to be another WoT or WT clones focusing on action, grinding and all of this crap.

I think sim fans have nothing to complain about these days (maybe BoS is a let down). We really have some good stuff out there.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Agreed Janes. I personally have more than enough hardcore flight sims currently installed that keep me very busy.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 49,716
J
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 49,716
There are like 25 million registered Steam users, aren't there? So I'd say that number is actually at best 1%, and of that 1% I'd bet no more than half actually would buy them, based on the number of people around here I see who look for reasons not to buy whatever sim it is instead of trying it.



The Jedi Master


The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 418
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 418
Originally Posted By: JanesHQ
Originally Posted By: kludger
Originally Posted By: Chucky
IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad 40% off http://store.steampowered.com/app/307960/


So ridiculous, are we to believe people voted to have the $0.99 Orion Prelude crap game be 50% off to $0.49 instead of IL-2 BOS be 50% off?

Either people are really stupid or Steam is rigging the community vote...


It's absurd but it's today's market. Sims are considerd a niche for "strange" ppl. 2 days ago Bulletstorm won against 80% off from Panzer Corps. Like BS wasn't on sale before gazillion of times.



It's not that absurd, that was actually my vote and I play flight sims. Why didn't I vote for BoS? Simple, I already bought it on early access.

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 8,677
K
Hotshot
Hotshot
K Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 8,677
Originally Posted By: SAPPER
Originally Posted By: kludger

So ridiculous, are we to believe people voted to have the $0.99 Orion Prelude crap game be 50% off to $0.49 instead of IL-2 BOS be 50% off?

Either people are really stupid or Steam is rigging the community vote...


It's not that absurd, that was actually my vote and I play flight sims. Why didn't I vote for BoS? Simple, I already bought it on early access.


Thanks for the insight that's a legitimate reason for BOS, I just found it really strange that people would vote for a 99cent game to be discounted to 50cents instead of two other newer games winning an actual meaningful discount, if I wanted a 99cent game I probably wouldn't wait for a 50cent discount but maybe that's just me.


[email protected], GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,035
Likes: 66
I think it just goes to show how unimportant flight sims are in the Steam community. It's really not on the radar at all. Having said that, I don't have any flight sims in Steam since I see no reason to. I'd much rather have separate non-Steam installations of DCS World an Rise of Flight.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,737
F
Senior Member
Senior Member
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,737
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
There are like 25 million registered Steam users, aren't there? So I'd say that number is actually at best 1%, and of that 1% I'd bet no more than half actually would buy them, based on the number of people around here I see who look for reasons not to buy whatever sim it is instead of trying it.

The Jedi Master


About 110 million active accounts as of September (as in, are accessed recently), up from about 75 million active users in January:

http://store.steampowered.com/news/14478/

Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,737
F
Senior Member
Senior Member
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,737
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
I think it just goes to show how unimportant flight sims are in the Steam community. It's really not on the radar at all. Having said that, I don't have any flight sims in Steam since I see no reason to. I'd much rather have separate non-Steam installations of DCS World an Rise of Flight.


The FSX Steam Edition sold very well, reaching the top 3 in sales for that day, albeit at $5. Based on other titles/sales in that position that's probably over 250,000 unit sales in a 24-hour period.

Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,737
F
Senior Member
Senior Member
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,737
Originally Posted By: kludger
Originally Posted By: SAPPER
Originally Posted By: kludger

So ridiculous, are we to believe people voted to have the $0.99 Orion Prelude crap game be 50% off to $0.49 instead of IL-2 BOS be 50% off?

Either people are really stupid or Steam is rigging the community vote...


It's not that absurd, that was actually my vote and I play flight sims. Why didn't I vote for BoS? Simple, I already bought it on early access.


Thanks for the insight that's a legitimate reason for BOS, I just found it really strange that people would vote for a 99cent game to be discounted to 50cents instead of two other newer games winning an actual meaningful discount, if I wanted a 99cent game I probably wouldn't wait for a 50cent discount but maybe that's just me.


Never underestimate how cheap people can be. Due to trading cards, the items marketplace and Steam wallet purchases not matching prices, people often have a couple of dollars floating around spare. In the community sale choice the cheapest title, regardless of what it is like, always tends to win. BoS has also got the dreaded 'Mixed' reviews rating in terms of community reviews, and that hurts it (at least on Steam, where people take that stuff seriously).

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 8,677
K
Hotshot
Hotshot
K Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 8,677
Originally Posted By: FearlessFrog

Never underestimate how cheap people can be. Due to trading cards, the items marketplace and Steam wallet purchases not matching prices, people often have a couple of dollars floating around spare. In the community sale choice the cheapest title, regardless of what it is like, always tends to win. BoS has also got the dreaded 'Mixed' reviews rating in terms of community reviews, and that hurts it (at least on Steam, where people take that stuff seriously).


Ah yeah another good point too, I pretty much ignore all my trading cards but I can see where those 11cents per card sale can add up to buying something for 50cents.


[email protected], GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 109
E
Member
Member
E Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 109
BOS sale came and went, and I didn't bite. For once I have such a backlog of quality titles bought and not played, that I cannot justify buying something new. The amount of gameplay hours in DCS A10, il2 COD, SH4, Simbin racing, Skyrim, and Fallout Vegas are enough to keep me busy until well into next year, and that is just what I have on Steam.

Last edited by Executed; 12/24/14 11:41 PM.
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,271
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,271
Santa forgot about it, so I did an early morning stealth click on the Assetto Corsa "purchase" button.

Cheers,
Slug


"Major Burns isn't saying much of anything, Sir. I think he's formulating the answer..." - Radar - M*A*S*H
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,899
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,899
Picked up the Euro Trucks 2 christmas bundle for just over 5 bucks a couple of days ago.

Considered Galactic Civilizations III at 50% off but resisted.

Also considered Wargame Air Land Battle but also held off. Anyone have any opinions on that one (in case it goes back on big sale) and also vs Red Dragon? I do not own any of the franchise yet.

waiting for a daily deal on Faster Than light (may have already missed it) and might pick it up if it gets a big cut.

Last edited by Tomcat84; 12/25/14 01:32 PM.

Intel Core i5-4660K @ 4.3 ghz
8 GB (2 x 4GB) DDR 3
EVGA GeForce GTX 770 SC
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,082
-
Veteran
Veteran
- Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,082
I have Wargame EE and ALB and I must say I like both of them. They are basically RTS games, but without the base-management and resource-collection parts. You have your guys, you have sectors you must control, those sectors give resources, and you use THAT to get reinforcements/upgrades. Kinda like Company of Heroes but with tanks and helicopters and airplanes. What I like about it aside from the above is that you can place your units strategically. Put them on a hedge-row or just inside the treeline, put a scout helicopter a few yards back, and it's a perfect ambush spot!

I don't have RD so no comment on that; I've not finished my two games yet so it's easier for me to hold off on it.

FTL is a great game too! More of crew-management.... I only wish I had more missions so that I could trick out the crew/ship more.

Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 875
K
Member
Member
K Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 875
All the stuff on my wish list hasn't dropped below 35% nope.

Only thing I've gotten so far is Silent Hunter III to replace my Boxed copy, which I had to mod to allow on my system.

Losing my unlimited internet in a week to go to who know what so I hope something I want goes lower but it doesn't look good...

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,368
Likes: 19
C
Veteran
Veteran
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,368
Likes: 19
I came very close to picking up BoS.I said I'd buy it at 50% off so I'll bide my time. I did get RoF Channel Battles edition even though I already own non-Steam RoF. Won't be the first time I've bought a sim more than once,I guess over the years I've bought IL2 3-4 times. When's the next sale,Easter? biggrin


If you watch Jaws backwards, it's a heart warming story about a shark that spits out so many people that they have to open a beach.
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,284
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,284
I've picked up a few things from my wishlist actually, including Verdun. Most of the big name sale titles have not been of interest, but the flash sales have been better.

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,899
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,899
Originally Posted By: Tomcat84

waiting for a daily deal on Faster Than light (may have already missed it) and might pick it up if it gets a big cut.


Well that just happened smile grabbed it for 2,49


Intel Core i5-4660K @ 4.3 ghz
8 GB (2 x 4GB) DDR 3
EVGA GeForce GTX 770 SC
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,173
F
Senior Member
Senior Member
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,173
Originally Posted By: kludger
Originally Posted By: SAPPER
Originally Posted By: kludger

So ridiculous, are we to believe people voted to have the $0.99 Orion Prelude crap game be 50% off to $0.49 instead of IL-2 BOS be 50% off?

Either people are really stupid or Steam is rigging the community vote...


It's not that absurd, that was actually my vote and I play flight sims. Why didn't I vote for BoS? Simple, I already bought it on early access.


Thanks for the insight that's a legitimate reason for BOS, I just found it really strange that people would vote for a 99cent game to be discounted to 50cents instead of two other newer games winning an actual meaningful discount, if I wanted a 99cent game I probably wouldn't wait for a 50cent discount but maybe that's just me.


Agreed. I was rather saddened by that. It was already on sale for 75 cents, so the flash discount was only 25 cents lower. Although IL-2 did go down to $40 for 24 hours. I figured I would hold off on it for now as I got a new DCS module and want to buy the new EDGE terrains (whenever those might come).

Also thinking of War Game Red Dragon, but I am waiting to see how low it will go.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,081,013 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1