SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,718
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 24,718
Relocated across the street to dog show. Really.

Okay, while I can't condone a chlorine gas attack on anyone, let alone oddball furries, that they were sent across the street to a convention center having a dog show is kind of funny.

I don't understand the whole furry thing, to be quite honest. It is so far out of my thought processes that I'm not shocked or disapproving so much as just perplexed and amused. And a convention? Hold on, that's gotta be something worth checking out.

I can envision a dance where the booze flows freely and under a disco ball a fat middle aged guy in a raccoon suit gyrates wildly to Cyndi Lauper's Girls Just Want To Have Fun.

That would be just awesome to see while one orders another double vodka.


The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,032
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,032
Likes: 66
Oh, I had no fricking clue what a "Furry Convention" was until I read the article.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 49,716
J
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 49,716
It would've been more amusing if Gillette had been having its convention across the street and they all had to shave.



The Jedi Master


The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,989
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,989
Originally Posted By: Dart
Relocated across the street to dog show. Really.

Okay, while I can't condone a chlorine gas attack on anyone, let alone oddball furries, that they were sent across the street to a convention center having a dog show is kind of funny.

I don't understand the whole furry thing, to be quite honest. It is so far out of my thought processes that I'm not shocked or disapproving so much as just perplexed and amused. And a convention? Hold on, that's gotta be something worth checking out.

I can envision a dance where the booze flows freely and under a disco ball a fat middle aged guy in a raccoon suit gyrates wildly to Cyndi Lauper's Girls Just Want To Have Fun.

That would be just awesome to see while one orders another double vodka.


It's not my thing, but it's just another version of Sy Fi or comic book conventions, people dressing up in character and mingling. I have friends who are really on about Doctor Who right now, they dress up as perfect representations of the character's costumes, and they go to these things with as much zeal a fan could have. What they give away and what they might not realize is that all of us believe they go and shag while in costume during the events, probably act out scenes and whatnot and you know...do it. That's what their friends think of them but don't say to their face. So, the only thing I imagine is that given the full costumes, is that Furry sex is more hard. And hopefully not too weird like humping legs as a form of foreplay. Ewww.

Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,735
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,735
First remember finding out what the Furry thing was from CSI

CSI, Season 4, Episode 5 "Fur and Loathing"


"I'm a hundred miles away son, ready to strike"

GPL Racing: Average Drivers Club

SimHQ Motorsports: SimHQ Motorsports

EVGA Z170 Classified K MB, Intel i7-6700K CPU, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 GPU, EVGA 850 G3 PSU, Bitfenix Dawn TG Case, Windows 10,
32gb T-Force Delta RGB DDR4 3600MHz Memory, 500gb WD Black SN750 NVMe Boot Drive


Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,943
K
Hotshot
Hotshot
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,943
Next week's Bronie Convention is across from the rodeo show. What's a Bronie, you ask? Males that dress up like the cartoon character My Little Pony.


.....and the answer is NO. I happen to frequent a gaming forum where there are a few, so that's how I know.

Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,989
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,989
There was a woman about 20 years ago in Sacramento IIRC who dressed up as a Star Trek bridge captain virtually 24/7, insisted on being addressed by her rank. She made the news because she once appeared in court that way and got into some trouble with the judge. That is a clear example of social phobia and social awkwardness taken to the extreme. I'm pretty tolerant of whatever it is people are on about as harmless fun, but in her case I would suggest psychological counseling. I mean, that's not an alter ego, that seemed to be her primary ego. She probably didn't see it that way, though.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,032
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,032
Likes: 66
There are rodeo shows in Massachussetts??


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,666
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,666
Originally Posted By: knightgames
Next week's Bronie Convention is across from the rodeo show. What's a Bronie, you ask? Males that dress up like the cartoon character My Little Pony.


.....and the answer is NO. I happen to frequent a gaming forum where there are a few, so that's how I know.


Brony convnetion dance party somewhere in Canada.


Windows 7 Home Premium x64 / Intel Core i7-3770K @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.9GHz / 8192MB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX780 / TM Warthog / Saitek Pro Fight Rudder Pedals / TrackIR5
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,700
P
Hotshot
Hotshot
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 8,700
I think they're bizarre as all hell, but a chlorine gas attack? Are people really just that insane when some people act weird in a group? (rhetorical, I know psychotic groups like 4chan and anonymous exist wink )


Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,032
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,032
Likes: 66
Um.....yeah.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 10,984
M
meh
Veteran
meh
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 10,984
Oh man that video is painful to watch...

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,943
K
Hotshot
Hotshot
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,943
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
There are rodeo shows in Massachussetts??



We did COWBOY UP in 2004, but that's not the rodeo you mean. There actually is an annual Shriner's Auditorium Rodeo about 15 miles from me. Never been to it, but even Massachusetts has it's share of rodeo.

Last edited by knightgames; 12/09/14 02:57 AM.
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,230
Likes: 23
A
Donkeystrength Proponent
Hotshot
Donkeystrength Proponent
Hotshot
A Online: Content
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,230
Likes: 23
There are rednecks in every state.


Silent enim legēs inter arma.

Cave canem, te necet lingendo.
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,545
T
Hotshot
Hotshot
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,545
Can't get a good gas mask seal with all that facial hair, but hey at least they can have tattoos on their arms. biggrin


Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,545
T
Hotshot
Hotshot
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,545
Originally Posted By: Chris2525
Originally Posted By: knightgames
Next week's Bronie Convention is across from the rodeo show. What's a Bronie, you ask? Males that dress up like the cartoon character My Little Pony.


.....and the answer is NO. I happen to frequent a gaming forum where there are a few, so that's how I know.


Brony convnetion dance party somewhere in Canada.


WoW! That is scary crazy. I get it wanting to be with the guys sometimes, but really...Have any of these boys ever talked to a female? Personally, as soon as I walk away from work, I'm ready to be around a female.


Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,699
N
One Man Wolfpack
Hotshot
One Man Wolfpack
Hotshot
N Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,699
Originally Posted By: Timothy


WoW! That is scary crazy. I get it wanting to be with the guys sometimes, but really...Have any of these boys ever talked to a female? Personally, as soon as I walk away from work, I'm ready to be around a female.


I actually know several frat boys with sorority girlfriends who are hardcore bronies. I'm still scratching my head on it though too.

Also, not all bronies go in for the cosplay aspect- most are just rabid fans of all things "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic."


" And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"- John F. Kennedy

"NUKE-ular. It's pronounced NUKE-ular."- Homer Simpson

AMD FX-8350 Vishera @ 4.0 Ghz
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB
CM Storm Series Trooper
Samsung 840 series 500 GB OS/ Game drive
WD Green 2TB Media Drive
Thermaltake Black Widow 850W PSU
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 501
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 501
Hey, I knew a Brony once. He was my friends roomates and I met a couple of his Brony friends too. I don't think they dress up like the My Little Ponies though, they're just really into them. Perhaps they do at conventions, but I don't think dressing up is the main thing like it is with Furries. I wonder about that one a lot.

I think I can understand the Furries, though. I don't really know if this is the case in general, I've only briefly discussed it with a few I met in passing at school, but I suspect that the appeal of being a Furry is in being able to escape from themselves and become a character whose appearance and personality are entirely up to them and wholly within their control. Not my thing, but I definitely can see how that would be liberating for someone with identity-centered anxiety. I don't believe it's a kink. They say, though it certainly involves sexuality, that's just tangential like any rave/party involves sexuality.


TLDR - The Furries I met were nice people. They weren't sexual deviants by any but the most ultra conservative standards. Pretty much they just had an unusual hobby, and it makes me sad that ignorance can breed hate strong enough to attempt, even incompetently, mass murder.

Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,989
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,989
I doubt it's a kink in and of itself save for a few. But I wouldn't doubt that it's convenient for them to slip that in there now and then. They're already in the costumes, and as you say, it's definitely a form of coping mechanism, it's hiding- I have to imagine there is an underlying identity issue that probably will get combined with any amorous feelings with like people.

Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,989
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,989
People have always been socially awkward, but it's going to into a weird direction of voyeurism and exhibition and that kind of thing. Virtually everyone I knew who went into a band was the same way, no matter how much they tried to portray themselves as cool rockstars, most of them were socially awkward and it was a way to get friends and admirers that they felt they would otherwise never get.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,076,943 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1