SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4018920 10/06/14 09:53 PM
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,666
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,666
Ok, just started playing it (5 mins in), and as a huge fan of the Alien movie franchise, I'm pretty excited. Just from the intro, opening credits and men screen, it's obvious the game is remaining true to the original movie. The opening credits even features a voice over which is Ellen Ripley's final log on the Nostromo, as vocied by Siguorney weaver (this gave me goosebumps, being such a big fan). Even the main menu screen imagery is appropriately ridley-scott-esque.

I've only just begun playing (had a quick walk around the first environment and talked to one NPC), and the surroundings are perfectly modeled after the first movie. Even those tupperware containers of cereal they had in the galley in Alien are there and look authentic. It feels like you've stepped into the movie.

More to follow.


Windows 7 Home Premium x64 / Intel Core i7-3770K @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.9GHz / 8192MB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX780 / TM Warthog / Saitek Pro Fight Rudder Pedals / TrackIR5
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 11,188
Likes: 37
A
Veteran
Veteran
A Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 11,188
Likes: 37
Just FYI, there's a multi-page discussion of that in the Outer Space/SciFi section (should probably be in a different forum, though):
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4018734/5


Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

Joined: May 2009
Posts: 7,033
K
Hell Drummer
Hotshot
Hell Drummer
Hotshot
K Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 7,033
I was watching a friend Twitch- of him playing. It's one of the few times that I was really really tense.
Just like I was watching a movie. Absolutely brilliant.


Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 22,410
L
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
Lifer
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
Lifer
L Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 22,410
Thanks Chris2525! I have been especially excited about this game . . . but at the same time apprehensive because it might just be too good and make me lose bowel control.


The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 22,410
L
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
Lifer
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
Lifer
L Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 22,410
Against all better financial wisdom, I just purchased this game. smile


The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,666
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,666
Oh man. I just read that it's Rift enabled. I've got a DK1 sitting on my computer desk right now.

http://www.wired.com/2014/07/alien-isolation-oculus/

I'm definitely going to have to give this a try.


Windows 7 Home Premium x64 / Intel Core i7-3770K @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.9GHz / 8192MB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX780 / TM Warthog / Saitek Pro Fight Rudder Pedals / TrackIR5
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,975
B
Senior Member
Senior Member
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,975
A couple of reviews I saw were enough to put me off completely.

Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,989
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,989
This sounds really good, reading the above link, it sounds as though it's a single player game only, just the player and one alien.

It seems to me this game is begging for multiplayer coop- like watching your cohorts attacked and killed piecemeal on the motion trackers by the alien and so on.

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,666
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,666
Originally Posted By: Chris2525
Oh man. I just read that it's Rift enabled. I've got a DK1 sitting on my computer desk right now.

http://www.wired.com/2014/07/alien-isolation-oculus/

I'm definitely going to have to give this a try.


Disregard. I guess that was just a demo at E3. frown


Windows 7 Home Premium x64 / Intel Core i7-3770K @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.9GHz / 8192MB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX780 / TM Warthog / Saitek Pro Fight Rudder Pedals / TrackIR5
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,989
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,989
To build on the idea of replay value after the main story is finished is a sandbox mode with your friends- and a friend could even play the alien.

Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 814
Likes: 2
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 814
Likes: 2
Reminds me of the adaption of Blade Runner, if only I knew why...

Edit: I made this post before I read Mechanus thread wink

Last edited by WhoCares; 10/07/14 09:48 AM.
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,026
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,026
Likes: 66
So for those of you who have played the game what are your initial impressions so far?

Would you recommend it or not?


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 9,163
Administrator
Hotshot
Administrator
Hotshot
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 9,163
I'd also be interested in a quick 'review' from someone here.....


"Murphy's Law"
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,368
Likes: 19
C
Veteran
Veteran
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,368
Likes: 19
DetCord has some Alien:Isolation action going on in the Screenshot section. Maybe not so much of a review but maybe he could be persuaded to offer one.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4019058/1


If you watch Jaws backwards, it's a heart warming story about a shark that spits out so many people that they have to open a beach.
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,026
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,026
Likes: 66
The impression I get from the few reviews I've read is that the game has about 4 hours worth of really good and compelling content but the rest is filler.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,581
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,581
I'm told there's a scenario outside of the campaign where you play through the Nostromo part of Alien, with Sigourney returning to do the voice over.
That's what sells it for me....when it's on sale.
I watched some of Markipliers playthrough last night, it was more involved that I thought with other survivors on the ship, factions starting and getting defensive and killing each other. I doubt they live too long, but it did add to the game.
IMO, if the campaign is short, that's a good thing. I wouldn't want 20 hours of playing hide and seek, it would get old. "Filler" on a game like this is where the story comes in. Being an Alien game, it SHOULD be cinematic and not just constantly running around.


·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 11,410
Likes: 10
Pilgrim
Veteran
Pilgrim
Veteran
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 11,410
Likes: 10
Last place I left off I'm in a room looking for something and having to avoid survivors killing me. Very creepy atmosphere. I personally can only handle it in small doses. Atmosphere makes it feel like you are in that space station and in an Alien movie. Great lighting and very dark. The littlest noises and flickering of light startle the crap out of me. Plus some of the music pacing makes me feel like I'm about to have a heart attack.


John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 3,270
S
Senior Member
Senior Member
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 3,270
Raw,

http://youtu.be/lCew5wkp3tY

The "Nostromo" Content is DLC, but it's there.


Steam: Sinner6
Uplay: Sinner76028
MWO: Sinner6
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,581
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,581
Awesome.


·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,975
B
Senior Member
Senior Member
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,975
Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
IMO, if the campaign is short, that's a good thing. I wouldn't want 20 hours of playing hide and seek, it would get old.

You should definitely check out a few reviews if that's a concern.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,075,109 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1