SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,714
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,714
This morning I woke up, switched on the magical power button on my PC and had to check the usual stuff. Weirdly enough, Steam prompted me for a password despite always using auto log-in. I found my password in the LastPass vault and pasted it in ... Didn't work. Tried again ... nothing.

I tried retrieving my account, it then sends you an email with a verification code and it wants you to answer a secret question. This question is;

"What did customer support last reset your passphrase to?"


A question I never chose, a question I've never seen and I have never had contact with customer support about my password, ever. No matter what I put in, I can't change my password.

So now I've had to contact Steam support just to change my damn password and get into my account. God knows why my password doesn't work, maybe a hijacked account? Still, they would probably have access to my account for a few days, while Steam Support takes their sweet ass time to respond.

While I won't have the whole "Oh steam is the devil, I only use my DVDs and where's my vinyl music?" but man, that is a pretty archaic way of dealing with things.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,022
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,022
Likes: 66
Usually when Steam is down or is having some kind of disruption to the community service I will get prompted to enter my password when I launch Steam. Usually I just wait a few minutes and try it again and Steam will auto-login without any issues.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,714
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,714
I tried this morning and I tried 10 minutes ago, that's over 8 hours apart. This is definitely something on my end.

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 25,177
Likes: 2
R
Lifer
Lifer
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 25,177
Likes: 2
Does sound a bit like a Hijack. Hope it works out.

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 12,571
Likes: 2
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 12,571
Likes: 2
Originally Posted By: Sethos88
While I won't have the whole "Oh steam is the devil, I only use my DVDs and where's my vinyl music?" but man, that is a pretty archaic way of dealing with things.


The keyword being "my".

Known as ownership, becoming a forgotten concept. You'll never need someone else's permission to play your DVDs and vinyl music, sweet. This is how I feel about software too (games and productivity).


Now get off my lawn! old_simmer



The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,368
Likes: 19
C
Veteran
Veteran
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,368
Likes: 19
Are you using Steam Guard? There is an option to de-authorise all other computers,I would do that once you regain control.

I've also had e-mails stating that I requested a password change.These were genuine but not instigated by me. Upon contacting Steam they told me there was no suspicious activity and not to worry.

Also,what Panzer says happens sometimes.I was initially very suspicious about re-entering my PW when it was set to auto log-in.


If you watch Jaws backwards, it's a heart warming story about a shark that spits out so many people that they have to open a beach.
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,714
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,714
Yeah I'm using steam guard. I haven't received any steam guard requests or password reset notices lately.

Hopefully Steam support will get back to me asap. I submitted it as an account hijack, rather than a simple 'forgot password' - Hopefully that expedites things ... I doubt it, though.

Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 17,481
Likes: 8
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 17,481
Likes: 8
Yeah I'm using steam guard.

Sounds like they need to hire some more guards.


'After about twenty years of having one, I am now convinced that, for the most part, smartphones may be the dumbest thing man has ever invented!"

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 9,163
Administrator
Hotshot
Administrator
Hotshot
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 9,163
I don't trust "STEAM", on my computer.

That's all I'm sayin'......
Maybe before this is over, you'll feel the same way wink
Cause I got a feeling, it ain't over yet.

I'd be concerned about what/who's gotten into your computer, could be a virus.
I'd check if I was you. Wouldn't hurt.



"Murphy's Law"
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,495
Likes: 36
F
I'm just a
Senior Member
I'm just a
Senior Member
F Online: Zombie
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,495
Likes: 36
I don't like the idea of hundreds (for some�thousands) of dollars in legally purchased software being tied to a login that does not have a tech support phone number to call. My daughter was locked out of her account for 5 days waiting for a damn e-mail from them. For me�that's why I would never consider a Steam box�if you can't afford a tech support number and essentially can be locked out of using your gaming console�no dice. I have had issues with Xbox live�called a number and had it resolved in an hour�not days/weeks.


Asus TUF Z790 DDR5 plus Wifi
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Intel I7 14700k
32gb Ripjaws DDR5 @6000MHz
Nividia 5060 TI OC 16gb
2 NVMe and various Sata SSD drives 6tb
1200watt Seasonic Vertex PSU
______________________________________________________

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"



Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,714
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,714
Originally Posted By: Murphy
I don't trust "STEAM", on my computer.

That's all I'm sayin'......
Maybe before this is over, you'll feel the same way wink
Cause I got a feeling, it ain't over yet.



Maybe when I grow old and bitter.

Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 17,481
Likes: 8
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 17,481
Likes: 8
LOL....have some more Kool Aide.

I didn't trust steam when I was younger and not bitter at all. They screwed me once and that's the only chance they got.


'After about twenty years of having one, I am now convinced that, for the most part, smartphones may be the dumbest thing man has ever invented!"

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,714
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,714
Yes and here goes the typical SimHQ whinge train, nobody gives a #%&*$# about your Steam hatred.

A moderator can close this one up.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,022
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,022
Likes: 66
When I was a kid, "Steam" referred strictly to water vapor and WE LIKED IT!!!


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,614
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,614
Originally Posted By: Force10
.. dollars in legally purchased software ...

A pretty common misconception with Steam.
You never buy anything on Steam, you more or less rent access until they choose to close your account such as by changing EULA to something you don't want to accept and suddenly it's all gone (ok if only blocked from new purchases, but that's not the case).

Naturally, losing access as in first post this thread and not being able to prove your cause will endup in the same loss.

Not finding this an OK approach is very often misinterpreted as "steam hate" for a reason I still cannot identify.

Look at the numerous posts in Steam related threads at BIS forums and you'll see "defenders" stating "It has always worked with no errors for me" making it obviously clear they don't understand the user terms.


Anyhow, good luck with your process - you might need it.

Last edited by theOden; 06/16/14 04:50 PM.
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,961
Pitbull Tickler
Member
Pitbull Tickler
Member
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,961
I always got a kick out of this URL. www.steam.com
Not sure why they're so attached to it. I'm sure Valve would pay.

On Topic: Dang, so many passwords to deal with, and having to change them every so often. It's enough to make you paranoid. And not without reason.


System Vitals: Intel i5 9600, RTX2060, 16GB DDR3000(OC), Win10 Home 64bit, Saitek X-52, Logitech G27
Current Sims: MSFS2020, Assetto Corsa, StrikeFighters2, IL2:BoS etc, Arma3, American Truck Simulator, SnowRunner
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,581
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,581
Sethos, I guess you've already gone through the hoops
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_arti...HXV-7272#change

and/or started a ticket when you contacted them?

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1223-QROC-4460

The one time I had to get a ticket going with them it was taken care of fairly fast. Maybe you'll have this going by the end of the day.
Its hard to get an account hijacked on there now, maybe this is something internal.
I went in and rest my question just in case. And logged the confirmation code. LOL

To the others...
I've lost more games due to somehow getting scratched, lost, accidentally thrown away etc. None with steam. In fact, I got back Halflife after losing my disc since I'd registered it. Years later had a reason to download steam, it prompted me for the login I used when I registered the game and there it was waiting to be played again! Awesome.


·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,070,363 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1