SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Linebacker #3898410 01/20/14 06:41 AM
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,010
P
PV1 Offline
sometime mudslinger
Senior Member
sometime mudslinger
Senior Member
P Offline
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,010
I went through a major chai phase 40 years ago.
Black pepper, but no fennel or anise, and no cloves,
otherwise the standard combination. And learned the
Jamaican style, brewed with 2% canned milk. memorable
stuff.

Anyone ever encountered matcha? Japanese green tea,
ground to a fine powder and whipped into the hot
water, to make essentially a slurry. Appparently it
used to be very highbrow, used on special occasions,
but that is falling out of favour with the younger
generation, so there's recently been a big push to
popularize it, get some export marketing going, give
it a new image, to keep the producers in business. I've
seen it offered as a flavouring for weird smoothie drinks
around here recently. Along with a lot of hype about the
benefits of protein from the leaf powder (really?), and
an assortment of other health benefits.

I checked it out shortly before finding out about my
first trip to Japan; tracked it down after some searching,
it was pretty expensive, and on the whole didn't impress
me much, but then I've never been much of a green tea fan.
In Japan I found it almost an order of magnitude cheaper,
so I bought some back in case someone wanted to try it,
but it has since sat untouched on my shelf.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Linebacker #3898520 01/20/14 02:08 PM
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,790
B
Old Scroat
Senior Member
Old Scroat
Senior Member
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,790
Quote:
Wango Tango: "
I wish I knew what the hell you were saying"


Holy = Holy Ghost = Toast.
Sexton = Sexton Blake= cake.
Many people nowadays think Cockney Rhyming Slang is a myth; but my grandmother used it all the time, as in:
"go down the frog for me fags. Put yer weasel on mind, it's a bit uncle."



Linebacker #3898963 01/21/14 08:05 AM
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,010
P
PV1 Offline
sometime mudslinger
Senior Member
sometime mudslinger
Senior Member
P Offline
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,010
Let me guess: Weasel and stoat, Uncle Bill, and of course
Frog Borner Store.

PV1 #3898975 01/21/14 09:04 AM
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 5,534
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 5,534
Originally Posted By: PV1
Anyone ever encountered matcha? Japanese green tea,
ground to a fine powder and whipped into the hot
water, to make essentially a slurry. Appparently it
used to be very highbrow, used on special occasions,
but that is falling out of favour with the younger
generation, so there's recently been a big push to
popularize it, get some export marketing going, give
it a new image, to keep the producers in business. I've
seen it offered as a flavouring for weird smoothie drinks
around here recently. Along with a lot of hype about the
benefits of protein from the leaf powder (really?), and
an assortment of other health benefits.

I checked it out shortly before finding out about my
first trip to Japan; tracked it down after some searching,
it was pretty expensive, and on the whole didn't impress
me much, but then I've never been much of a green tea fan.
In Japan I found it almost an order of magnitude cheaper,
so I bought some back in case someone wanted to try it,
but it has since sat untouched on my shelf.
A Japanese friend of mine brought some over to Scotland with him and we went through the whole tea ceremony with him, man that brings back memories.
It was 24 years ago that I had the powdered green tea, it was not as bad as I had feared, quite pleasant in fact. Not seen any here in Belgium at all.

Earl Grey is the tea we drink most but we do have a big selection of different types of black tea and herbal teas in the cupboard with different tea pots for the black tea or herbal so they don't get contaminated with each other.


Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
Linebacker #3899188 01/21/14 06:36 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 9,585
S
Sim Offline
Hotshot
Hotshot
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 9,585
Can anyone suggest proper green tea brand?

Linebacker #3899403 01/22/14 12:45 AM
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,545
T
Hotshot
Hotshot
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,545
Buy tea loose for quality. Tea Bags are the plywood of tea.


Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
Linebacker #3899451 01/22/14 02:49 AM
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 7,335
N
Hotshot
Hotshot
N Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 7,335
I got one of these teapots for $20 last year. They work good. Loose leaf tea is the best but bags can be good too imo.


http://www.rakuten.com/prod/hario-green-.../248764949.html


Never rub another man's rhubarb.
Linebacker #3899474 01/22/14 03:32 AM
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 3,178
L
LB
Senior Member
LB
Senior Member
L Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 3,178
Tea newbie here again, chiming in ...

Timothy and Navigator, those ingenuiTEA and Hario teapots look great. I�ll probably get one or the other or both for use when I�m at home.

I think my sister already told me how great the ingenuiTEA pot was but I ignored her since I wasn�t into tea at the time. smile

My favorite is still individually wrapped teabags. They stay fresh and I can just throw them in my pocket or wherever and have some tea on the go.

BTW, I tried Earl Grey for the first time over the past couple of days and I�m sold. It�s my new favorite next to green tea. thumbsup

I also tried Peppermint (yuk) and Chai (interesting but I have to find a better quality).

Cheerio! reading

Linebacker #3900261 01/23/14 01:03 PM
O
oselisan
Unregistered
oselisan
Unregistered
O
I've always had a tendency to get hooked on tea. However, I had to watch/regulate myself. There was this one time I drank so much that I had trouble sleeping.

Just discovered that Peppermint tea is caffeine free, will probably buy loads of it on my next shopping trip.

Linebacker #3900714 01/24/14 07:56 AM
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,010
P
PV1 Offline
sometime mudslinger
Senior Member
sometime mudslinger
Senior Member
P Offline
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,010
Originally Posted By: Linebacker

I also tried Peppermint (yuk) and Chai (interesting but I have to find a better quality).


Chai is much more fun if you build it yourself, as the
ingredients are usually easy, and you can trim it to
your own taste (as per my notes in a post back there
somewhere). The only thing I've had trouble finding
is dried orange peel, which used to be fairly common
but doesn't seem to be any more. Just read the ingredients
on the labels of several brands, and you'll get the
sense of it. I like ginger, black pepper and orange
peel in mine, and I don't like cloves or any licorice-
like (anise, fennel) flavours. The rest is the usual
suspects: cinnamon (easy to overdo, alas), nutmeg,
allspice, plus cardamom (an essential, according to
the Indian tradition). Steeping in Jamaican tradition
is done in canned milk (I used 2%), which can be
diluted slightly but not near 1-1 which takes it
back to fresh milk concentration. The concoction
done this way has to be simmered a while to get the
flavours in. A faster way to do this is to put the
ginger in a small amount of water and boil (the rule
is: boil roots, steep anything else), then steep
all your other ingredients in this (which works better/
faster than steeping in milk), then add to a larger
quantity of canned milk, and microwave the result
to desired temperature.

#3900879 01/24/14 02:43 PM
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,545
T
Hotshot
Hotshot
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 8,545
Originally Posted By: oselisan
I've always had a tendency to get hooked on tea. However, I had to watch/regulate myself. There was this one time I drank so much that I had trouble sleeping.

Just discovered that Peppermint tea is caffeine free, will probably buy loads of it on my next shopping trip.


Yes and while Linebacker might not like it, I find it is great hot or cold. Spearmint is very nice too and a bit sweeter than peppermint.


Keep Calm and Check Canopy

There are no ex-paratroopers, only ones off jump status

Learn Economics at:
http://www.mises.org
Carthago delenda est
Navigator #3901096 01/24/14 07:41 PM
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 5,534
Hotshot
Hotshot
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 5,534
Originally Posted By: Navigator
I got one of these teapots for $20 last year. They work good. Loose leaf tea is the best but bags can be good too imo.


http://www.rakuten.com/prod/hario-green-.../248764949.html

This is what I use for black teas, it is 30+ years old now


and I inherited a similar, but older, set from my mother and father which was one of their wedding presents.

http://www.picquotware.co.uk/order-form/ Ouch!


Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
Linebacker #3901380 01/25/14 06:39 AM
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,010
P
PV1 Offline
sometime mudslinger
Senior Member
sometime mudslinger
Senior Member
P Offline
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,010
Looks nice, but they radiate the heat away like crazy if you
don't put a cozy on them, and then you can't see all that fancy
stuff...

Linebacker #3901394 01/25/14 07:31 AM
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 3,178
L
LB
Senior Member
LB
Senior Member
L Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 3,178
Yesterday morning I was busy seeping a couple Lipton Green tea bags in my Thermos while talking to an Afghan friend I work with up here in Canada.

I asked him, �Hey XXX, you Afghani�s like Tea right?�. He just lit up and basically said �Absolutely! We like green tea but not that crap you have in those bags.� LOL!

He then told me how they brew loose leaf tea in a pot and went on to say, �I�ll bring you a box of excellent green tea for five bucks.�.

I should�ve said yes right then and there but we got distracted. I think he might�ve been talking about Kahwah.

I�ll definitely be buying what he has to offer the next time I see him ...

Linebacker #3901409 01/25/14 09:14 AM
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 12,417
Likes: 12
Veteran
Veteran
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 12,417
Likes: 12
Chifir... I would rather drink pot of crappy generic bag tea laced with Polonium 210 than suffer though a cup of that again...

Linebacker #3901767 01/26/14 03:12 AM
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,010
P
PV1 Offline
sometime mudslinger
Senior Member
sometime mudslinger
Senior Member
P Offline
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,010
From Wikipedia:
Chifir' is typically prepared with 5-8 tablespoons of loose tea (or tea bags) per person poured on top of the boiled water. It is brewed for 10�15 minutes without stirring - until the leaves drop to the bottom of the cup. Chifir' is often drunk without sugar by those that seek a caffeine high. Those that prefer to simply enjoy the Chifir drink it with milk. If the bitterness is not your cup of tea then sweets can be held in the mouth before or with the tea. If preferred with sugar; add 1-5 teaspoons of sugar, but no matter how much sugar you put in it you will always have a some bitterness after you drink it. Milk is often used to make the tea less bitter or to make it less acidic. It is to be drunk slowly, otherwise it may cause vomiting.

Good god, that sounds dire! Apparently there's always a way
to wreck yourself with any drug containing substance, given
enough persistence and creativity.

Linebacker #3912821 02/16/14 09:03 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 9,585
S
Sim Offline
Hotshot
Hotshot
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 9,585
Here's my favorite; a lemon slice, one raw sugar and tea bag.

Linebacker #3912920 02/17/14 12:22 AM
Joined: Nov 1999
Posts: 1,060
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Nov 1999
Posts: 1,060
Originally Posted By: Linebacker

I don�t know much about tea though. I know Jean-Luc Picard from Star Trek always drank Earl Grey but I have no idea what it tastes like.

Just opening up the Tea forum here ... what�s good?


Earl Grey is really good tea. It is a black tea with a slight citrus-like taste. It is rather bold as well. I prefer the dried leaf variety that you have to filter, but there are many tea bag varieties about. As for "what's good", experiment until you find what you like. Thing about tea is that tastes vary widely. With regards to tea bags, I feel Twinings brews better than brands like Lipton and Celestial Seasonings. You can try out Teavana for the higher end stuff.

I'm mainly a coffee drinker but like an occasional tea, especially when I'm getting sick or feeling a bit weak or tired. I'm not a tea connoisseur; I simply brew, and sweeten. There is a community of tea drinkers that are all into presentation, preparation, and the whole nine yards. My wife goes to tea with her girls at a few of the tea houses we have around here. They are all into the high tea scene. I drink tea mainly for the benefits. biggrin

Enjoy your tea,

--T


Support simulation in the classroom.
Linebacker #3913279 02/17/14 08:43 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 9,585
S
Sim Offline
Hotshot
Hotshot
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 9,585



Here's another. 4/5 water - brew for 2-3 minutes. Remove tea bag and add milk.(no sugar) French bread with marmalade. Yummy.




Last edited by Sim; 02/17/14 08:55 PM.
Sim #3913294 02/17/14 09:19 PM
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 3,178
L
LB
Senior Member
LB
Senior Member
L Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 3,178
thumbsup Your recommendations look great Sim.

With a mug that size I�d double bag it! I really like those mugs that are actually bowls with handles. smile

PS. I�m still really enjoying the Green Tea and Earl Grey ... going thru the stuff like crazy. I definitely still have to stop by a tea specialty store though.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,077,187 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1