SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 15,158
N
Veteran
Veteran
N Offline
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 15,158
Originally Posted By: - Ice
Wow, I rented this film expecting a good movie.


This was your first, fatal error. This movie had Turkey written all over it from the get go.


Mobo ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0)
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3
GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
CPU Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz)
Drives 2 HITACHI Deskstar 3TB 2 Crucial 256 GB SSD Displays 3 HP ZR30w 30" monitors
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
PSU Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Case COOLER MASTER CM Storm Trooper
Drive LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray
CPU cooler Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe
Fans COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120
OS Windows 7 Premium
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: May 2002
Posts: 15,158
N
Veteran
Veteran
N Offline
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 15,158
PS The movie should be referred to as "After Birth"


Mobo ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0)
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3
GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
CPU Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz)
Drives 2 HITACHI Deskstar 3TB 2 Crucial 256 GB SSD Displays 3 HP ZR30w 30" monitors
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
PSU Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Case COOLER MASTER CM Storm Trooper
Drive LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray
CPU cooler Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe
Fans COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120
OS Windows 7 Premium
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 19,381
newbie
Veteran
newbie
Veteran
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 19,381
So Depp, Affleck, Smith and Tatum, anyone else deserving to go on the simhq's 'actors we need to string up ' list ? I would like to submit Ashton Kutcher, Colin Farrell and Brendan Fraser as well.


My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships


Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,604
C
Senior Member
Senior Member
C Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,604
Originally Posted By: Ajay
So Depp, Affleck, Smith and Tatum, anyone else deserving to go on the simhq's 'actors we need to string up ' list ? I would like to submit Ashton Kutcher, Colin Farrell and Brendan Fraser as well.


Katherine Heigl, Leslie Mann, Judd Apatow, Zach Galifianakis, Tom Cruise.

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,581
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,581
I can name movies I've really enjoyed from everyone mentioned, so I can't be too harsh on any of them.


·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 9,947
D
Hotshot
Hotshot
D Offline
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 9,947
I don't understand people who waste their time renting a movie w/o reading a review.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Originally Posted By: Dervish
I don't understand people who waste their time renting a movie w/o reading a review.


Perhaps people who like to make their own judgement without having to be influenced by others?

There are quite a few films that were trashed by the critics that I ended up liking. The film that immediately comes to mind is Chronicles of Riddick.


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,581
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,581
Same here. There's no critic I agree with all the time, so I know I've got to decide for myself. If you have the same taste in movies as the critic, you're set. To me, most get wrapped up in themselves so much they can't objectively view a movie as it's intended or as simple entertainment.

I'm also not above turning off a movie if I think it isn't worth going on.


·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
I just can't believe that M Night Shyamalan still gets to make big budget films.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 11/14/13 06:01 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,572
K
Hotshot
Hotshot
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 6,572
Originally Posted By: knightgames
Depp hasn't put out a good movie since Finding Neverland. His association with Timm Burton and Disney has gone on long enough. I really enjoyed him in Don Juan DiMarco, Fear and Loathing, Benny and June, Gilbert Grape and a few others. Now it seems he's just in it for the cash. Hard for me to respect that and his actor's status has diminished quite a lot with me.


I do admire Johnny Depp- in the 90s he wanted to breakout when he still could have been just another hearthrob, and he took roles that certainly got away from that (most normal girls wouldn't find Hunter Thomspon to be very sexy). That's something Will Smith won't or can't do.

Now however, Johnny Depp mostly makes films that are meant to be tied in with McDonald's promotional Happy Meals or something.

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Depp still does a few art house/independent films. These are his most recent ones,

The Rum Diary - 2011
The Tourist - 2010
Public Enemies - 2009


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,581
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,581
Depp had a funny cameo in 21 Jump Street, which was the movie where I decided Channing Tatum was alright. Holy crap that movie was funny. LOL


·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,604
C
Senior Member
Senior Member
C Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,604
Watching JOBS.

Wait!

Ashton Kutcher as Steve Jobs?

SERIOUSLY?

They couldn't cast anyone else for such a pivotal role?

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 125,023
Likes: 66
How much caffeine did you have today Colonel? biggrin


“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,604
C
Senior Member
Senior Member
C Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,604
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
How much caffeine did you have today Colonel? biggrin


None.

I don't drink coffee, sodas, energy drinks, tea.

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,562
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 1,562
I thought Kutcher did a fantastic job in The Butterfly Effect. Maybe it's a matter of expectation, because of his role in That 70s Show. Similarly to Woody Harrelson immediately after Cheers.

I haven't seen JOBS.


looks very modernishy-phoney-windows eighty-tabletty like

Asus P8P67 Pro Rev. 3.0 // i5 2500k @4.3 GHz with Noctua NH-D14 // nvidia gtx 780 // 8 GB DDR3 1600 //Win7 home 64 bit //450 GB VelociRaptor //Recon3D Champion
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 20,152
T
Lifer
Lifer
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 20,152
Originally Posted By: ColJamesD
Originally Posted By: Ajay
So Depp, Affleck, Smith and Tatum, anyone else deserving to go on the simhq's 'actors we need to string up ' list ? I would like to submit Ashton Kutcher, Colin Farrell and Brendan Fraser as well.


Katherine Heigl, Leslie Mann, Judd Apatow, Zach Galifianakis, Tom Cruise.


Lesley Mann was hot in This is 40

I'd throw out Will Farrell, he's such a 1 stick pony, I can't stand him

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 20,152
T
Lifer
Lifer
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 20,152
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted By: Dervish
I don't understand people who waste their time renting a movie w/o reading a review.


Perhaps people who like to make their own judgement without having to be influenced by others?

There are quite a few films that were trashed by the critics that I ended up liking. The film that immediately comes to mind is Chronicles of Riddick.


Yeah, or local radio station always talks about what movies are coming out on Tues. One host recommended a movie so I picked it up and hated it, actually shut it off.

What others like doesn't mean you'll like it, that's why I don't bother with reviews.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,156
D
Hotshot
Hotshot
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,156
Originally Posted By: Top Gun
Lesley Mann was hot in This is 40



Absofreakinglutely!!

I need to buy the DVD so I can just fast forward it to near the end where she is showing her boobs and freeze the frame so I can......nevermind


Life is tough. Life is tougher when you are stupid. - John Wayne
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,156
D
Hotshot
Hotshot
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 9,156
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Depp still does a few art house/independent films. These are his most recent ones,

The Rum Diary - 2011
The Tourist - 2010
Public Enemies - 2009


And they all sucked!


Life is tough. Life is tougher when you are stupid. - John Wayne
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,071,007 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1