Wow, I rented this film expecting a good movie. I liked Men in Black, i Robot, Hancock, and I am Legend. Sure, sure, nothing life-changing or awe-inspiring, but still very good entertainment. Remember when his dog died in I am Legend, only to "return" as a zombie and Will had to put his best buddy down? I can watch that movie again and still finish it.

This movie was a pile of bull feces. Nowhere near the trailer made it out to be. I couldn't get the father character. Is he a hard-ass military man? I dunno, he keeps shifting between "son" and "cadet" all the time. I sense some emotional turmoil in the son, but the actor can't just pull it off. He is supposed to be a star pupil but lacking in the field; he hasn't displayed any evidence of "using his brains" at all. His stance when trying to use whatever that weapon is supposed to be doesn't even show any technique at all -- Jackie Chan could've done a better job in his sleep! Or Chris Tucker after 2 minutes with Jackie.

Some scenes don't make sense at all. The son defies his father and jumps off a cliff... and then wingsuits along the cliff face and not outwards towards his destination? A flashback of a young child handling a weapon and giving it to his fater? Sure, let's let kids play with knives. He's out of inhalers and can barely walk, but decides to climb a tree to get a better view? Yes, because climbing trees is less stressful than walking.

Oh, and he got stuck out in the open.... and is saved by a giant bird. How the hell did this make any sense? The bird gave its life for a weird looking animal it has never seen before? I thought all animals on the planet have learned to kill humans?

Then the idea of him being in a "black spot" and can't receive his dad's transmissions, but his dad can hear him. I LOL'ed at the part wherein he looked like he was trying to get a signal. Like cellphones back in the early 90s!

What's with "taking a knee"? Don't they know how to "calm down and sit down"?

Will Smith is a much better actor without having to get his son into it.