SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 897
P
Member
Member
P Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 897
Hey,

I have an i5 3570k and an intel 660ti. I'm very outdated on the art of overclocking. I can find a guide myself, but are there any general pointers and warnings I should know? I've heard that it's unsafe to adjust the base clock. I can see how it could quickly make the board unstable, but don't understand "unsafe." Could just be tech boy drama...could someone enlighten me?

Also, I hear the 660ti doesn't support volt modding -- Nvidia's way of making us buy more. If the old bios flashing tools are still around, can volt increases be unlocked?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 5,887
Likes: 9
S3D GuRu
Hotshot
S3D GuRu
Hotshot
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 5,887
Likes: 9
Well with the "K" Version all you need to do basically is increase the Multiplyer.. and If you increase the voltage for the cpu do it manually and not Auto as that usually increases the voltage too much..

On my 3570K I have a MP of 45 set and 1.25v, your milage may vary it is usually trial and error til you find a stable setting.. Don't forget to test for Stability you cand use intel burn test run it like 10 times at mac RAM then see if it is stable.. IF you get a BSOD you may need to set the voltage to a stable setting..

Go here you may find a guide or 2 and these guys are knowledgable about OC'ng:



http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/



AS for the Vid card I would not bother the results are negligible to warrant OC a vid card.. the 660ti is good if you want more vid power you can but when I did my 480';s years ago it was hardly a noticeable improvement..


Intel Ultra 265K 5.5GHZ / Gigabyte Z890 Aorus Elite / MSI 4070Ti Ventus 12GB / Thermalright Frozen Notte RGB AIO / SoundBlaster Z SoundCard / Corsair Vengance 6400MT 64GB Ram / Buttkicker Simulation / HP Reverb G2 / Samsung 980 Pro 2TB Games / Crucial 1TB M.2 Win 11 Pro 23H2 /

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,070,768 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1