|
|
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 358 Likes: 3
Admin Member
|
|
Admin Member
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 358 Likes: 3 |
Last edited by RacerGT; 07/29/13 01:38 PM.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 783
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 783 |
Great read, looking forward to both Assault Squad 2 and IL-2. Seems a bit early to pre-order IL-2 though. Did you notice if they also demoed Assault Squad 2, if they did I I know what I'm scouring the internet for 
combtpilot.co.uk
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,674
Just a Noob Senior Member
|
|
Just a Noob Senior Member
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,674 |
No demo of Assault Squad 2 at the event, just Nuclear Union and IL2. If I see anything I'll let you know.
Shoot to Kill. Play to Have Fun.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 465
"just do it" Member
|
|
"just do it" Member
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 465 |
Great Article EP, glad you took the words out of my mouth. lol  sorry for the blurry pic, but bar tenders aren't good at taking them I guess.
Last edited by Mastiff; 07/29/13 01:57 PM.
71st Eagle Squadronwww.anon6.com - Blogger on DCS Series 71st Mastiff's you-Tube"any failure you meet is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back" Asus x-99||i7x5930k||ddr4 16gb2400||GTX980Ti-6gb|| ATX1200Corsair||realteck 5.1||Win8.1x64pro|| TrackIr4Pro/ir||CHfghtrstck||siatekpedals| |X52ThrteCntrlr||G15Keyboard/RzrMose|| 32"LCD||2x7"lilliputs,1x9inc
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,187
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,187 |
Thanks for the pre-view.
It'll be interesting to see what lessons they have learnt from the development of RoF. The mission editor doesn't seem to be one of them though. Although I haven't even looked at the editor myself (fine one to start chucking stones) I've heard grumblings about it's complexity and shortcomings which, if ArmA III is a useful benchmark, might have some truth behind it.
I hope they've also taken a good long hard look at the method of constructing the FM's. While it might be one of ROF's great strengths, it's complex inflexibility also seems to be a bit of an Achilles heal. That said, with more original, accurate and complex information available by builders, pilots and testers who had a better understanding of what they were doing, then the base model should be far smoother with less gaps to be filled in. Also on the same subject, the combat environment is in some respects more forgiving than WW1 in that aircraft separate quicker, out of effective guns range, and turning takes longer, also allowing for better separation before a shot can be taken.
As an idle thought, and it was mentioned in the pre-view, I wonder if it actually wouldn't be a good idea to have a generic FM or two, with some basic variability in number inputs/outputs. I only reason I say this is because there are some aircraft that might be useful to include but wouldn't necessarily be good sellers. One such aircraft that has already reared it's head on the forums is the Ju 52, given it's role in resupply for the trapped Germans probably an important addition but never the less probably not a great money maker for 777. It might also open up content creation to third parties, one of the big draws of the original IL2. Of course they would only be AI flown, unless demand was sufficient that 777 saw a market for including an AFM and cockpit. It just seems to be to be rather restrictive to only include content that might be good sellers and also, given the complexity and time required for the proper FM's, very limiting. Hopefully 777 can streamline this aspect of the development cycle as regular updates and fresh content on a regular basis gives a sim 'wings' so to speak and stops it going stale.
I am however looking forward to flying with the enhanced Digital Nature engine and more complex DM.
Last edited by Damocles; 07/29/13 03:38 PM.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 3,806
Senior Member
|
|
Senior Member
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 3,806 |
Great article.. I think this will be a winner.
Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 126
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 126 |
Great article and I will certainly be a supporter of this as I have been for ROF and other IL2 titles. After finishing the article however my wife did ask why I was in tears on the floor. The only words I could get out were... "ROF Mission Editor"
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,674
Just a Noob Senior Member
|
|
Just a Noob Senior Member
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,674 |
Tears of laughter? Sorrow? Happiness?
Shoot to Kill. Play to Have Fun.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 126
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 126 |
Unfortunately sorrow. In Flight sims I use mission editors a lot and over the years I have had the opportunity to use many, if not most, of them. Now I hate to say anything bad about ROF because on the whole it is so very good but I must admit the ROF mission editor is conceptually the worst I have ever used. I did learn to use it (requires proper tongue positioning, eastern black magic and the patience of Zeus) and I have created some missions but the pain vs. fun factor keeps me from doing much. My hope is that once they do all the good Battle of Stalingrad stuff they are doing they will re-hire the guy that did the original IL2 editor and let him do his thing.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 370
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 370 |
The 1st Assault Squad was not top-down.....is AS2 really going to be top-down?
I'm a reasonable guy, but I've just experienced some very unreasonable things...
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,674
Just a Noob Senior Member
|
|
Just a Noob Senior Member
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,674 |
The 1st Assault Squad was not top-down.....is AS2 really going to be top-down? Possible bad word choice on my part. The external view of Assault Squad 2 looks similar to Assault Squad 1. "Over the shoulder third-person" might be a better term. I'm still looking for some visuals on AS2 that I can share with you guys.
Shoot to Kill. Play to Have Fun.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 9,523
Permanent Latrine Orderly Hotshot
|
|
Permanent Latrine Orderly Hotshot
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 9,523 |
Glad you got some time with BoS. I am waiting for the early version to come out so I can play it.
The artist formerly known as SimHq Tom Cofield
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 370
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 370 |
The 1st Assault Squad was not top-down.....is AS2 really going to be top-down? Possible bad word choice on my part. The external view of Assault Squad 2 looks similar to Assault Squad 1. "Over the shoulder third-person" might be a better term. I'm still looking for some visuals on AS2 that I can share with you guys. Thanks, I figured as much....3/4 isometric might also work. Here are some screens (definitely looks like an MoW game):  
I'm a reasonable guy, but I've just experienced some very unreasonable things...
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 3,745
Senior Member
|
|
Senior Member
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 3,745 |
Nice preview of BoS, thanks! Glad to hear you think it is tracking well.
Going to be a great year for new combat sims with this and the DCS WWII title!
H
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,231
Retired Flight Simmer Member
|
|
Retired Flight Simmer Member
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,231 |
Looks promising, but Cliffs of Dover still stings bad enough to make me hold tight to my money right now.
I refuse to buy a flight sim that I have no interest in playing, on the off chance that MAYBE someday they'll make the one I really want to play.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 18
Junior Member
|
|
Junior Member
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 18 |
I'll add a +1 to the comments good and bad. Sort of a shame they had to model some bimbo's with the Hornets logo in sight, a cheap marketing ploy thats not respectful to the real women who wear the uniform. I like **** as much as the next dude, but..wtf, over
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 44
Junior Member
|
|
Junior Member
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 44 |
Thanks for the preview,
I'm totaly not convinced, putting aside the hot chicks and the other staged parameters, much of what you wrote was also written in previews of CloD; that turned out to be not a castle but a favela.
I think the best thing for BoS and the people that don't wan't to bump their head again(and their bucks, pounds, euros...) is that the BoS team release a SP/MP demo prior to release of BOS so people can make their own minds up on their own rigs.
And that they be clear with things like official system requirements because *probably* doesn't cut it.
After CloD for me the most logical thing is to not preorder and see where this goes and after making my own mind up, good or sour.
Last edited by Deguello; 07/30/13 06:09 PM.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,187
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,187 |
Thanks for the preview,
I'm totaly not convinced, putting aside the hot chicks and the other staged parameters, much of what you wrote was also written in previews of CloD; that turned out to be not a castle but a favela.
I think the best thing for BoS and the people that don't wan't to bump their head again(and their bucks, pounds, euros...) is that the BoS team release a SP/MP demo prior to release of BOS so people can make their own minds up on their own rigs.
And that they be clear with things like official system requirements because *probably* doesn't cut it.
After CloD for me the most logical thing is to not preorder and see where this goes and after making my own mind up, good or sour.
How long the preorder will last is anyones guess, but I really don't think you need to worry so much. BoS is being built on the strong foundations of Rof, so it's not a whole new engine as was CoD, which is why things have progressed so quickly. More importantly there is an extended beta period, first in late September-ish and then an even larger one from the winter. Prior to release, and nobody is forcing anyone to buy it prior to that, we will be able to have a good long look and thourough assesment of what BoS has to offer. It will be interesting to see what new ground BoS might break, but even if it's nothing earth shattering BoS should offer a good solid sim, along the lines of RoF which is certainly no bad thing. The only major weakness in RoF that I can see was, the set in stone FM's, hopefully this won't be an issue with BoS , because of better technical information to begin with and, fingers crossed, they have learn't some lessons from RoF. I'm sure they are aware of the shortcomings of some of the aircraft in RoF, it has caused a lot of angst on the forums, it would be nice if this didn't repeat it'self in BoS.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,674
Just a Noob Senior Member
|
|
Just a Noob Senior Member
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,674 |
Specs for the IL-2 Battle of Sturmovik PCs: AMD FX-8350Radeon 7990128GB SSD 16GB DDR3
Shoot to Kill. Play to Have Fun.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,209
Member
|
|
Member
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,209 |
It's disturbing and a bit pathetic that they have booth babes - sorry, 'spokesmodels' - in 2013. I thought simulation was meant to be the mature end of the computer-gaming industry.
Dozer
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
|
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
|
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|