SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 … 12 13
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,101
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,101
cheers

BTW, forgot to ask the obvious, what's the diameter of the cockpit tubing and thickness of the seat frames?

TIA smile


Cheers!

jocko-

417 RCAF
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 92
C
Junior Member
Junior Member
C Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 92
Originally Posted By: Haphazard
Originally Posted By: *Panther*
Each cockpit comes with a (single) shifter mount, and a keyboard tray. Flight mounts, table tops are each sold separately.


Can one order an extra shifter mount (not a flight mount, a shifter mount) to configure a side mounted flight stick? I just peeked into the US distributor's website and don't see it listed as a separately available accessory.

You get *two* mounts with the flightstick package: a simple platform on an angle bracket and a U-shaped bracket similar to the shifter mount (but not quite as long.) The U bracket is designed to work with the center mount post so that the stick hangs back over the seat when you pull up to it, even with knees or closer to the groin depending on how far forward you push the seat.

It doesn't have to be mounted there, however. Look at the pictures I posted in the R3v thread and you'll see my Hog stick mounted on the U bracket on the right side of the pit, with the Hog throttle on the left side using the long shifter mount. I'm not using the simpler stick mount at all... the quadrant is mounted to the yoke/wheel plate. The quadrant is for the sliders... I love the Warthog, but it needs more sliders/rotaries to handle all the variable controls in a WWII fighter.

The throttle is on the long shifter U bracket to allow the keyboard tray to swing in and out easily, clearing just under it. When flying, I swing the tray out and pull the seat way up. I like to have my nose close to the monitor to better spot those weasily Spit drivers trying to sneak up on me. FPS or general PC use has the seat all the way back and the keyboard tray swung in. This setup is a bit of a compromise in that I wanted the control equipment permanently mounted.

Now that I see how easy it is to swap around, I'll likely try reversing the keyboard to the right side, use the second short stick mount I'm not using right now to mount the quadrant right behind the Hog throttle on the left, and center mount the Hog stick. This will take a bit of getting used to since I've always flown side stick, but it will likely increase control. It means pulling the stick out of the front mount and having it lay around till I'm in the seat, but it may result in a more natural flight position. Plus I could then move the wheel and pedals from the Playseat in the living room to this pit in my cave so I could get in more Forza 4 time.

It's hard, though. When I get home and get time to play, I just want to sit in it and PLAY, not tinker. It's that awesome. tuner

I'll likely try changing up the config


Hardware: Asus Sabertooth Z87 - Intel 4670K @ 4.4 - 16GB RAM - EVGA Titan - Old Asus 26" 19x12 LCD - bunch of drives.

Sim Toys: Warthog - 8cm Simpit Hog extension - TIR5 - CH Quadrant - Slaw Device rudder pedals - Obutto R3v
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 15,158
N
Veteran
Veteran
N Offline
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 15,158
Just pulled the trigger on ordering this bad boy earlier tonight. November can't come soon enough.
It'll be nestled underneath one of these awesome loft beds:

http://www.mcwoodworksinc.com/kingloftbeds.html


Mobo ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0)
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3
GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
CPU Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz)
Drives 2 HITACHI Deskstar 3TB 2 Crucial 256 GB SSD Displays 3 HP ZR30w 30" monitors
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
PSU Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Case COOLER MASTER CM Storm Trooper
Drive LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray
CPU cooler Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe
Fans COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120
OS Windows 7 Premium
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 55
M
Junior Member
Junior Member
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 55
Originally Posted By: *Panther*
In my current configuration, I sit on the warthog stick base plate. I'm still trying to formulate a plan on how I want to attach the center stick and still maintain the same muscle memory I have now for formation flying.


Cut the Obutto stick baseplate to the shape of the round base of the Warthog. Did that on my oZone and will continue to use that stick mount once my R3volution arrives.

Pics (older ones, can provide new ones if needed):





And thanks for the nice review, very nice read! smile

Last edited by mhe_at; 10/12/12 02:01 PM.

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 52
S
Junior Member
Junior Member
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 52

Enjoyed the review and am possibly looking at pulling the trigger in getting one based on this and the previous review.

Have two questions and am sorry if missed this one somewhere, whats the triple monitor size limits on this? Seems like the information I found in the FAQs might be for the original ozone and with the changes in the r3 the monitor sizing may have changed as well.

Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 92
U
Junior Member
Junior Member
U Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 92
Wow. First off that was an excellent review. Maybe if the funds become available I will purchase one. But for now, what I would really like to know is where can I get a seat only? Any suggestions?

Uncle


Asus Sabertooth Z77 motherboard
Intel i5-3570K OC'd @ 4.1Ghz CPU cooled by Corsair H100i
G-skill 16GB DDR3-1866 memory
EVGA GTX670 2GB FTW video card
Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium sound card
Corsair 800D case
Plextor 128GB SSD
Samsung 250GB SSD
Toshiba 3000GB HDD (2)
Planar PX2710MW monitor
Logitech G510 KB and G500 mouse
Turtle Beach PX21 headset and Sony 5.1 surround speakers
Cougar HOTAS USB w/ TM RCS analog rudders
Warthog HOTAS w/ Saitek Combat rudder pedals

Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 22,096
C
Lifer
Lifer
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 22,096
Dunno if Obutto will sell just the seat. WAG probably not.

The mounting to the framework can cost what the seat does so decide how it will mount before getting too serious about buying the seat.

cheap racing seats


Wisdom is knowing what's enough
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 15,158
N
Veteran
Veteran
N Offline
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 15,158
Will we get a review of the triple monitor arms, and the range of monitor movement they allow across all three monitors?
No review is complete without delving into this feature, since it's one of the most important features that sets the Revolution apart from the Ozone.

Thanks.


Mobo ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0)
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3
GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
CPU Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz)
Drives 2 HITACHI Deskstar 3TB 2 Crucial 256 GB SSD Displays 3 HP ZR30w 30" monitors
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
PSU Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Case COOLER MASTER CM Storm Trooper
Drive LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray
CPU cooler Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe
Fans COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120
OS Windows 7 Premium
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,328
P
Senior Member
Senior Member
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,328
If I had 3 monitors and the triple mount I would,


Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO, i7 6700k, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB, 980TI 6GB G1 OC, Obutto oZone, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, NP TrackIR5, ***Soon*** Oculus Rift
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 140
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 140
mhe_at, that is a good solution, I have had something like that in the pit I built for some time, it just sits over the seat so I can sit down and put the seat all the way forward and it's in the right place. I am sure something can be made for the new obutto in a similar fashion.

The only issue with these things as they all add up is how long it takes to go from flying to racing and back. Like Panther I used my pit for all things until I recently doubled up and now have two.

When I had to switch too many things around, I.e. remove the center mounted stick it did impact how often I switched from racing to flying. It was too hard to just have a quick race if it was set up for flying and vice versa. That my only real complaint about multi function pits when you have too many goodies attached smile

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 22
L
Junior Member
Junior Member
L Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 22
Well, order placed to get in line before the incoming shipment sells out. I asked about purchasing extra shifter mounts and suggested they carry them as a standard option.

Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 162
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 162
Yeah, placed my order for the R3Volution, 2 tables and the joystick mount.


i5 3570k ivy(4.5 OC), ASUS Maximus V Formula, 16gb GSkill RipJaws 2133mhz, 2xEVGA SuperClocked+ GTX 680 in SLI, 2x Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD's(1 for OS, 1 for Games), Corsair H100 Watercooler,ASUS Xonar Phoebus SC, Windows 7 x64, Razer BlackShark BF3 Headset. CoolerMaster Cosmos II, XFX Pro 1250w. Samsung 46" LED TV(7100 series) ASUS VG278HE 27"144Hz, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Razer Nostromo, Razer Naga, Razer Deathstalker Ultimate.
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 15,158
N
Veteran
Veteran
N Offline
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 15,158
Mid-November can't come soon enough.


Mobo ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0)
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3
GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
CPU Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz)
Drives 2 HITACHI Deskstar 3TB 2 Crucial 256 GB SSD Displays 3 HP ZR30w 30" monitors
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
PSU Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Case COOLER MASTER CM Storm Trooper
Drive LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray
CPU cooler Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe
Fans COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120
OS Windows 7 Premium
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,101
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,101
Trigger pulled.

smile


Cheers!

jocko-

417 RCAF
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 16
S
Junior Member
Junior Member
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 16
There is an issue with the Asus VG278H. You will need to order longer screws than the original ones (M4-0.7 x 12mm) as the Asus VG278H has a specific fixation support. I have just ordered the following ones: M4-0.7 x 20mm. Pay attention to the thread size of the screw (0.7mm) as an usal one will damage the monitor (it will be difficult to remove from the triple screen stand after).

Joined: May 2002
Posts: 15,158
N
Veteran
Veteran
N Offline
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 15,158
Thanks for pointing that out.


Mobo ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0)
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3
GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
CPU Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz)
Drives 2 HITACHI Deskstar 3TB 2 Crucial 256 GB SSD Displays 3 HP ZR30w 30" monitors
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
PSU Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Case COOLER MASTER CM Storm Trooper
Drive LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray
CPU cooler Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe
Fans COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120
OS Windows 7 Premium
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 22
L
Junior Member
Junior Member
L Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 22
Ack! Thanks for that heads up indeed. I just got three of VG278H's the other day, now waiting for the stand. At least this way I can have the screws ready to go as I don't think I have that length on hand.

MainPerformancePC.com has a special $50 off if you buy the R3volution tomorrow (Halloween). I haven't heard back yet on what the deal is for those of us that pre-ordered and are waiting for the next shipment.

Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 55
M
Junior Member
Junior Member
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 55
Got mine with the full features at home now. Waiting until I have the time to disassemble and sell the oZone, then I will provide info about the triple screen mount in action. smile


You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 15,158
N
Veteran
Veteran
N Offline
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 15,158
Cool. When did you order it?


Mobo ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0)
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3
GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
CPU Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz)
Drives 2 HITACHI Deskstar 3TB 2 Crucial 256 GB SSD Displays 3 HP ZR30w 30" monitors
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
PSU Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Case COOLER MASTER CM Storm Trooper
Drive LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray
CPU cooler Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe
Fans COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120
OS Windows 7 Premium
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 55
M
Junior Member
Junior Member
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 55
I placed my order in late September if I remember correctly. It arrived last week, but currently I'm so busy at work that all I have assembled yet is the triple screen holder. But that thing is really nice. My only gripe is that during transport something must have gone terribly wrong, some plastic on the center monitor arm is broken (only a cosmetic issue) and the plastic insert in my cup holder is broken as well. The UPS guys must have kicked that box around pretty hard on its trip from Portugal to Austria....


You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 … 12 13

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,077,298 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1