SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Hop To
Page 105 of 240 1 2 … 103 104 105 106 107 … 239 240
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,111
W
Smooth Operator
Hotshot
Smooth Operator
Hotshot
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,111
Originally Posted By: eno75
This results in unpredictable behavior as flags are created twice etc...


^^^ Yep - that's why the scheme came about.

I have one more mission in the S'paign to finish up, and all the new MIST functions that were needed will be in place.

WC

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,111
W
Smooth Operator
Hotshot
Smooth Operator
Hotshot
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,111
Three-day weekend next weekend!

WC

Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,397
E
Member
Member
E Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,397
Eh guys.

Had a good time in Eastbound and Down last night, but Welcome to the Suk needs some attention I think- we really need to start attracting more Ground Commanders!

I figured out a few of my trigger issues with EB+D... with some help from Mol, Skoop and Wheel I learned that the "altitude lower than" needs to be not only in meters but in reference to MSL... a bit of a pain considering the elevation given on the map is in feet and so too are the waypoint heights in the ME.

Anyway- that should work

I've also got it set up that the evacuation doesn't happen until the Abbies advance... That was a pretty complex trigger setup but I think I've got it hammered down a bit better now.

Also added some Abbie troops to the mix as our blue airpower was just a little too much for their armour to handle. Once we got the Tungs figured out (high altitude bomb releases / SU25s) things were much easier. It really was a bit frantic at times which REALLY increased the intensity and the fun. Guys were working really well together.

I'm TEMPTED to thicken things a bit by adding some longer reaching mobile sams... this will force us to adapt to a threat the A-10 is going to have LOADS of trouble handling alone. Once those air defenses get close enough to cover the airfield we're not going to be able to fight from there. If I do this, I will place a FARP near our evacuation position so that choppers can rearm closer to the battle.

I'm seeing a lot of guys bombing up HEAVY over at Gelen- but that sure makes the trip over a slow one. My suggestion is to get into the action light, refuel on the way if able (that reminds me that tanker flies way too fast) and rearm at Sochi.

Of course, if Sochi is overrun then the tune changes somewhat- however don't let them get overrun because you were too busy hauling groceries.

Anyway- really enjoying being back in the action and I'm glad the missions are shaping up.

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,666
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,666
I'm totally down with ground commanding. I should pay more attention to the mission briefing though. Last night i misread it, and ended up sending my battle group in the wrong direction, up the coast rofl.

As well, i had a lot of trouble getting my forces across a particular river. Basically all of my air defence assets were bunched up in a big gaggle around that bridge. That was right when you guys showed up - and promptly got hammered by 3 full groups of TORs hehe


Windows 7 Home Premium x64 / Intel Core i7-3770K @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.9GHz / 8192MB DDR3 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX780 / TM Warthog / Saitek Pro Fight Rudder Pedals / TrackIR5
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,397
E
Member
Member
E Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,397
lol yeah that was awful.

Wonder if they need to be taken off road or something?

Suk is a bit different in that each side has an objective to overtake an AI postured defense at an airbase- THEN they have to advance to Sukhumi.

Once those objectives are overtaken the insurgents pick sides... first one complete has the advantage mind you as the random generator is set to give higher percentage opportunity to the one who finishes first.

Hoping we'll get another crack at that soon!

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,111
W
Smooth Operator
Hotshot
Smooth Operator
Hotshot
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,111
The S'paign campaign now has the right trigger event logic using the Mist function to detect vehicles in zones. These missions needed events triggered by ground forces inside of zones - not aircraft or helicopters - for invading previously unoccupied zones by a coalition.

I'd been using some crappy logic to handle this, but the Mist scripts go right to the requirement. The code Mist script has a nice feature that lets me set the number of the invaders that must enter the target zone.

S'paign is all done, complet-o, fini, what-else-could-possibly-go-wrong-..., matrix


crew

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,111
W
Smooth Operator
Hotshot
Smooth Operator
Hotshot
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,111
v124.12547 testing...
Hmmm, a Blue Ground Force Commander can't control Blue groups to set a path. I can place the target waypoints but they don't make a path when pressing Set Path again (even short paths). This is like the problem with not being able to control a/c.


hmmm, ground units are flipping back and forth across my screen, like they are trying to sync up.

---

Twice now I can't exit from the Blue GC slot to Spectators. I'm out of the (passworded) Hollo Pointe server but still see it has 2 players - ahh it took about 3-4 minutes to clear.

And now I can't connect at all.

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,111
W
Smooth Operator
Hotshot
Smooth Operator
Hotshot
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,111
Gaaaak
I just read through the v124 Bug thread at DCS.
http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=104984

And now depression sets in...

WC

Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,397
E
Member
Member
E Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,397
Read something about the UH-1 FARP issue as well:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=105278


On a somewhat better note- had some fun on EB+D last night... started off with Chris laying waste to Sochi and me trying desperately to track down his Tungs so that I Could bomb them from high up and then lay waste to his SA13s... then go bug mashing with the GAU-8 to prepare his defenses for the arrival of Russian reinforcements (if only I had a blue ground commander!)

That quickly turned into me snap shooting a mav at his (moving) tung (because I only had GPS guided ordinance and he didn't appear to be stopping any time soon)- but it was promptly swatted out of the air. I thought tungs needed to stop to track a target but evidently that isn't true.

I overflew and tried to reacquire but was running low on fuel (was trading fuel for weapons) so went to find the tanker- fortunately it was right over my shoulder so I slid in for lube / oil / filter change but... and this may have just been me being rammy but I'm POSITIVE the way my aircraft was responding to various controls was off. I have my speed brakes out slightly, making corrections on one throttle and it was just wonky. I'm no refuelling master- but I practiced a lot and got to know the throttle response really well. Last night I nudged the single throttle a hair and started accelerating and ran down the tanker like I'd just kicked in an afterburner. At one point I had my throttles so far apart (because you think moving one throttle was bad- you should have seen moving both!) one was half and moving the other was causing my speedbrake warning to scream at me.

I got frustrated and ejected my pilot into the boom operators window (that'll learn him)...

I'm just putting it out there in the event a few of you have the same problems- maybe it's some other thing that got tweaked in one of the new patches.



Second run of EB+D blue actually had some airpower go to work early on and we were successful in holding the abbies off for most of it.

I quickly figured out that we didn't "evac" our ground staff as they were collected outside on the tarmac... the red GC wisely steered a bunch of his tanks into those groups of people (I thought they were dead already because nobody was shooting). I lined up a V formation of his tanks for a beautiful dead on 97 drop and did hit a tank or two.... but killed probably a dozen of my own ground troops in the process. SLMOD broadcast that embarrassing announcement to everyone and I was left face palming. Second pass, with all ground troops killed (oops)- I laid waste to the rest of his tank force- save for 1 tank.

At one point I think the red GC got into survival mode and parked one of his tanks inside one of our hangars. This does, in theory, sound like a good way to go camp out and "overtake" Sochi but in fact it's not the wisest plan. For 1, reinforcements to shore up defenses only become available in two conditions: 20 red units have arrived in the sochi airbase perimeter or all blue troops are dead / out of zone. He didn't know this specifically- maybe I need to expand on the mission briefing?

By having his 1 remaining tank hiding in a bat cave, with blue forces still around, he was going to be unable to achieve anything. Finally Darksider (in a Blue A-10) spawned in the same hangar (I think that's how it went down) and either rammed the tank or took his ground safety off and shot him. At that point the red reinforcements spawned and we had a whole new battle on our hands.

I was out of bombs and out of time so I tried a NOE approach from behind his convoy for a gun run... it reminded me of the highway- I came around the corner at about 100 feet above the road and just opened up at everything I Could see- sadly for no kills. I was then swiftly beaten down like a baby seal by a mixture of Tungs and Strellas.

And that was the end for me.


Anyway- had a good time last night.

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,111
W
Smooth Operator
Hotshot
Smooth Operator
Hotshot
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,111
Got home from work and ran the DCS Repair and that put an update on my client machine. confused

But FRAPS and DCS seem to be friends again.


I'm still haunted with scenes from out of 2001: A Space Odyssey, however -


^^^ The guys inside are eating sandwiches and talking about some weird anomaly.

WC

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,111
W
Smooth Operator
Hotshot
Smooth Operator
Hotshot
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,111
Looks to me like Client/Server sync is really messed up. Last night and today, what I'm seeing is just unplayable. Vehicles on road are off in space - certainly not following their path that can be seen when clicking on the groups.

Here is an AI A-10C in Streets Of Kutaisi -

There is a group of four - all with their snouts in the dirt. But they are showing in F10 View as alive icons.

I think someone musta fiddled with the MSL setting :-P

WC


Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 11,939
Likes: 141
C
Administrator
Veteran
Administrator
Veteran
C Online: Cool
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 11,939
Likes: 141
Probably should have flown that 8 wheeled vehicle in the previous screen shot instead... exitstageleft


"praemonitus, praemunitus"
"We in America have no interest in being polite and orderly caretakers of the West’s managed decline." - Secretary of State Marco Rubio
[Linked Image]
What we agreed to abide by in these forums!
CB's Tips for Potentially Contentious Forum Discussions
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,397
E
Member
Member
E Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,397
any time I had the client server issue I had to open the mission on the server and resave. That was the only way around it before.

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,111
W
Smooth Operator
Hotshot
Smooth Operator
Hotshot
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,111
^^^ Yep - that will be my next attempt. I did not save after the repair/update yesterday.

WC



Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,699
N
One Man Wolfpack
Hotshot
One Man Wolfpack
Hotshot
N Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,699
These pictures make me think of all those Warthog jousting videos that came out back in the Halo 1 days.

tanksalot


" And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"- John F. Kennedy

"NUKE-ular. It's pronounced NUKE-ular."- Homer Simpson

AMD FX-8350 Vishera @ 4.0 Ghz
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB
CM Storm Series Trooper
Samsung 840 series 500 GB OS/ Game drive
WD Green 2TB Media Drive
Thermaltake Black Widow 850W PSU
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 401
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 401
They think Highly of their BTRs .... LOL

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,111
W
Smooth Operator
Hotshot
Smooth Operator
Hotshot
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,111
Oakay, all the edits are done, saved under the latest version, no FRAPS errors, vehicles have come back down to earth. Scheesh, I did deliberately want to see if the missions did not have to be saved for an interim update, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

The thing about the S'paign missions is that CA GC control of a/c isn't there yet. When that feature is implemented then these missions will be sooo different. That stuff works in SP and in the ME testing, so it really needs to get real in multiplayer.

I really hope that these missions are ready for prime time. I want to move on... and fly some pilot

A couple more things to do:
Ants
When I built Ants that mission hit the limit on the number of units/triggers/whatever - done in v1.1.1.1 was it? I'm seeing posts in DCS Forums that allude to successfully testing a lot more units with the current version. When I hit the unit wall in Ants, I'd already built the whole thing and had to tear out the first two layers of Ants' progression, and the mission was too easy IMO. I want to put back the first two missing layers.

There's another valley that deserves to have a mission. And with the popularity of the Huey, it should play a major role.

--

That said, I'm detecting a fault in the AE-35 unit and predict its failure within 72 hours.

WC


Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,111
W
Smooth Operator
Hotshot
Smooth Operator
Hotshot
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,111
Originally Posted By: Wrecking Crew
... vehicles have come back down to earth.


Spoke too soon, geez I wonder what's going on. This column is under the terrain now and moving in F7 - in this F10 View they should be on the road - their path is traced on the road in the second screenie -







Can someone go into Hollo Pointe in a Ground Commander mode to see if the Red armor is drifting across the map? Or under it?


I'll check out the Firehouse with my Client machine to see things work for me over there.

WC

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,111
W
Smooth Operator
Hotshot
Smooth Operator
Hotshot
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,111
Ahh, good connect to Eno's Firehouse, and can operate GC units.

I need to do an installation re-do on Hollo Pointe.

WC

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,111
W
Smooth Operator
Hotshot
Smooth Operator
Hotshot
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,111
Looks to be successful.

WC

Page 105 of 240 1 2 … 103 104 105 106 107 … 239 240

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,075,348 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1