SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Hop To
Page 91 of 240 1 2 … 89 90 91 92 93 … 239 240
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 401
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 401
Its good to have you back Blindone. I hope your new X97 is working well.

Yeah... Rampant Bear though we were able to complete most of the objectives it was MUCH more difficult. I lost 3 Sharks before I was able to kill a single ground unit. One time to the SU-25, one time to Enemy Ground units, and one time because I forgot how to fly (V-STALL).

Once I got in the groove it seemed ok... although I was much more aware of when the SU-25s came around.

When I got shot the first time the only thing I could do is use power lines to put between me and the threatening SU-25. I felt like Tom Arnold in "True Lies" when he is bing shot at by a machine gun and hid behind a light pole... that was 4 inches in diameter. Unfortunately I didn't fare as well as he did.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,397
E
Member
Member
E Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,397
Okay, well maybe a JTAC (HUMAN) spot or 2 per side might help to lift some of the issues? I think a guy on that hilltop sort of across from that fork in the river, or perhaps between Gori and Sug / Vaz / Tib along the route of travel of those incoming forces... maybe that would help us coordinate in a fashion that helped preserve your birds.

I don't think doing so greatly compromises the integrity of the mission and we have been given some lattitude in the past so it's definitely an option.

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 237
R
Member
Member
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 237
Here is what happened with the friendly 25T kill. I had spotted two enemy helicopters at Poti. I shot one with a mav and was trying to reacquire the second one when I heard this low rumbling and figured the SU that had my call sign stenciled on his airplane with 4 or 5 little kill stars next next to it was back, so I broke off with the helos, dumped all my weapons and got some altitude..

A few minutes later I saw a glimpse of an airplane cutting across my path a few miles ahead, so I zoomed in and saw it was a SU.. I cut into his turn, made up some distance and shot my first missile. It tracked and it looked like it exploded close by but the SU kept on going.

I shot the second missile and it was a clean miss. I got behind him and sprayed a long burst of gun in his general direction and I noticed a small piece of something fall off of his airplane. I pursed him for a few minutes hoping to run him down, but he wasn't slowing. I turned back and headed to Poti to see if I could re acquire the second helicopter. After searching for a while I found him and made a few snapshot gun passes and missed so I extended a bit, rolled in and just hammered the dude with 30mm. Right as it exploded I got dumped out of the game..

Thought my game crashed until someone on comms said I was kicked for blue on blue.. This SU was friendly, and I did some damage, but it took like 20 minutes for him to explode. Turns out that stray 30mm Bullet that he was unlucky enough to run into caused some cascade damage that eventually took him out. smile




Last edited by Rider; 04/15/13 05:27 PM.
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 218
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 218
Originally Posted By: petethehatch
pecker it was a fun game,tempus told me about it friday he had a great game too.is pecker your DCSW name


Pecker is my self-appointed callsign, since my last name is Wood, and other relationship reasons I won't go into thumbsup

I'm hoping to get back into the Blooze server today. I'll be checking the server list periodically.


"A thousand flights mean a thousand landings. Somehow you always have to come down, one way or another. And then one day it will be for the last time."

Heinz Knoke
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 410
B
Master of None
Member
Master of None
Member
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 410
^^ epic description ^^

Good to be back.. the x97 is awesome! Missed flying a ton. Honestly the whole reason I started the conversion was because my x52 kept losing power or calibration mid-flight. It was driving me crazy to be in the heat of battle, lose control, need to unplug the controller and then reset the profile in windows before crashing into the ground.

Installing the Leo Bodnar interface wasn't terrible, but it was time consuming since I had to learn as I went. The next step is to rewire the control stick since the throttle is done and working well.


Last edited by blindone; 04/15/13 07:18 PM.
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 162
W
Member
Member
W Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 162
Cool we a peckerwood to go with our wingnut...


i5 3570k ivy(4.5 OC), ASUS Maximus V Formula, 16gb GSkill RipJaws 2133mhz, 2xEVGA SuperClocked+ GTX 680 in SLI, 2x Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD's(1 for OS, 1 for Games), Corsair H100 Watercooler,ASUS Xonar Phoebus SC, Windows 7 x64, Razer BlackShark BF3 Headset. CoolerMaster Cosmos II, XFX Pro 1250w. Samsung 46" LED TV(7100 series) ASUS VG278HE 27"144Hz, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, Razer Nostromo, Razer Naga, Razer Deathstalker Ultimate.
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,397
E
Member
Member
E Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,397
Eh guys...

Well I'm plodding forward with some new concepts... I've heard some feedback about lack of CA spots (I've been placing JTAC only slots- I have no ground commander slots in my missions at this point), so I'm going to work on something.

It's called "Welcome to the Suk." The idea is that the independent republic of Abkhazia has being torn in half by red and blue- the 51st percentile going to the side that reaches the city first.

The concept will be that both sides must succeed in the objective with more than 50% of their fighting force. The objective, largely dependent on airpower will be twofold... either escape with 50% of your forces intact, or hold the objective with 50% of your forces intact.

At this point it's not pretty- I'm putting the templates down... CA ground commanders will be able to control it all. You guys wanted control- I'm giving it to you. No waypoints, average troops on both sides... as close a competition as I can give you. Yes, Red side has radar SAMs available while the US only has IR- much shorter range. Red side is going to have access to long range anti radar missiles to contend with a Patriot battery that fills in the gap quite nicely. I'm using "realistic templates" from Stuka to balance out the forces.

The idea is for someone to overrun Sukhumi... OR decide at that pivotal moment that it's time to retreat and save your military. Either objective needs to be accomplished above 50% or you lose. If you are experiencing ample success and learning that your supporting aircraft are clobbering the opposition- you'll do well do attack.

If you are getting decimated by enemy airpower at every turn- I recommend you turn tail and perform what we like to call a "tactical advance to the rear."

Let's say that you turn tail and run at the prospect of winning by getting your forces across the finish line before the other... People are very sneaky... but to win by running away from the start without a fight? Well, I'm not saying it won't happen but suffice to say if you're getting over the border without having delivered a substantial blow to the enemy, the end mission message will be in your opponent's favour and you will be labelled a coward amongst your peers in the war room.

It took me awhile to get my head around the concept... and I simply don't have the skills that crew does to break it into a campaign... So it'll be a longer turn mission with some torch bearing (I hope.)

Anyway- excited to push forward with it!

Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 449
P
Member
Member
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 449
looking forward to this one eno.


CPU Intel Core i7-6700 processor
NVIDA Geforce GTX 970
16 GB memory
SSD Capacity 256 GB
windows 10 HD 64 bit
joystick Saitek X52 PRO
CYBORG X Kayboard
Trac ir 4
DCS world KA50/A-10c/P51/HUEY/spitfire
IL2 1946/IL-2 C.O.D/R.O.F/ARMA 3/silent hunter beta
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 169
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 169
Joined in on the Rampart Bear action the other day (post RU SU-25T "fun") and saw some really good teamwork on the Rorki Tunnel (9th_AF Rider and VT-Shaddoh); Mol and Wheel working over Armour in their Sharks and then Rider/Shaddoh and myself playing chicken with a group of four 2S6 Tunguska's (they shot about 20 9M119 missiles at us; which we largely avoided with Terrain masking, maneuvre and counter measures); very rewarding killing those units after hunting them and them hunting us.

Have been scarce due to real world requirements.

Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,397
E
Member
Member
E Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,397
Yeah Gordo I figured you were on a job at Bragg? You back for awhile now?

Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 169
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 169
Originally Posted By: eno75
Yeah Gordo I figured you were on a job at Bragg? You back for awhile now?


Yeah mate working at Fort Bragg and when I got back to Aus off working with the ADF for a week. Be in/out over the next few months.

Have you had much time with the JTAC stuff in DCS?

Last edited by Gordo_Viper; 04/16/13 12:07 PM.
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,397
E
Member
Member
E Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,397
Nah, none at all. My notebook- though pretty potent- is slaved to an HDD and really wasn't managing the game side very well graphically despite having a 660 onboard for graphics. I've got the SSD to upgrade, tore the comp down the other day to make sure it was going to be easy (it is) and am just waiting for the proper adapters to migrate my data from the one drive to the other before I can finish the upgrade. Most of my effort this set has been in the mission editor.

Speaking of which, we need to talk about your mission- I'd like to get some triggers in there to make some victory conditions so that a side can win or lose.

Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 410
B
Master of None
Member
Master of None
Member
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 410
What do we have on tap for tonight, Eno?

Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 4,804
S
Senior Member
Senior Member
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 4,804
This morning's mission was already completed by the time I got on. You guys must have made quick work of the targets.

Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,397
E
Member
Member
E Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,397
Sorry boys. Been in a meeting all day so far and now I'm traveling. Not sure ill be able to load a new one for awhile. Nothing on deck at this point blind- mol might have a plan.

Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 169
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 169
Originally Posted By: eno75
Nah, none at all. My notebook- though pretty potent- is slaved to an HDD and really wasn't managing the game side very well graphically despite having a 660 onboard for graphics. I've got the SSD to upgrade, tore the comp down the other day to make sure it was going to be easy (it is) and am just waiting for the proper adapters to migrate my data from the one drive to the other before I can finish the upgrade. Most of my effort this set has been in the mission editor.

Speaking of which, we need to talk about your mission- I'd like to get some triggers in there to make some victory conditions so that a side can win or lose.


Eno,

If you're happy to mate you're good to go for Triggers on it.

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,111
W
Smooth Operator
Hotshot
Smooth Operator
Hotshot
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,111
Hmmm, Hollo Pointe was down for a bit... The remote sys admin pressed the reset button and then I could see it again in Teamviewer.

Then able to login and saw a message about an unexpected shutdown under Windows 8 - I allowed the details to go to MS (the Hollo Pointe computer is only a DCS World server). This is maybe the fifth disconnect of that server since January... I am happy with it on Win8.

---

I get the feeling that most folks would rather play a COOP mission.

---

crew

Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,397
E
Member
Member
E Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,397
I hear ya and that's how I feel-however I have been getting good feedback from guys in ca spots fighting against guys in air spots. This is pretty basic structure with few triggers- it's all up to the human interaction.

Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,397
E
Member
Member
E Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,397
Things are moving along nicely with "Welcome to the Suk."

The mission concept changed slightly- though is still primarily human driven on both sides.


The battle takes place within the borders of Abkhazia. Red and blue ground forces are advancing from their own sides towards the objective that is almost smack in the middle: Suk City.

The forces on both sides are in rough array- a big part of the alignment will depend on intelligence gathered from JTAC and airborne resources. I've wanted to leave this to the ground commander so they're going to have their work cut out for them. I think some will really enjoy it- some won't. We'll see.

First objective is to retake your airbase that has recently been overrun by insurgent forces loyal to the opposite side. Accomplishing this task will bring full reload capability and serve to determine which side forces around Sukhumi will support.


A long range SAM battery has been moved into place on both sides and they are racing to get the units in place and operational. Though the race is on to get at them sooner than later, they don't become eligible targets until the ground forces are on the move. Don't try to take them out before you get the announcement (MOL). I envisioned guys flying straight there and launching missiles at them 5 minutes into the mission. Not the intention... the objective of neutralising the SAM threat is there to give the ground commanders something quick to run down in support of his air assets. The SAM is immortal until the announcement is made so don't waste your ammo.

KA50s are assigned to support the ground commander as a forward observer. A JTAC spot exists as well at an elevated station between the first and second objectives. These two assets can help the ground commander orientate his troops properly to the threat ahead before advancing. He'll have lots of time because he's going to want his air assets to soften up the opposition before moving in.

Fighters currently exist in the mission but I'm concerned about balance issues... I'm going to try and see how it plays out. I have a well stocked supply of SA10s and PAtriots giving pretty decent refuge if needed... but I'm going to recommend that the SU25s and A-10s run for cover when they see the RWR go off. F-15s and Su27s are available for both sides- but they're at more distant bases. They may rather stab at each other off in the distance... TS3 is going to be an important ingredient.

Local military forces are deemed unpredictable and though a sizeable protective force exists in Sukhumi, there is no telling which side they are going to take. In remote circumstances, they may in fact take BOTH sides and start fighting against themselves in the city. These troops (as well as those landed at the forward bases) are AI controlled. The ones around the city are aligned through random triggers and EXTREMELY unpredictable.

The objective changes depending on which way the locals align. If they align on your side, then your job is to protect their positions from the incoming enemy advance. If they align on the opposing side, your job is to whittle down their defensive positions around the city as well as the incoming opposing force so that your ground commander can confidently occupy the city.

If they align both ways- then your mission becomes twofold and that will vary between missions and depend largely on the situation.






Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,144
J
Room Clear!
Member
Room Clear!
Member
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,144
man damn the manpad that took me out lol

Page 91 of 240 1 2 … 89 90 91 92 93 … 239 240

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,076,943 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1