SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 7,033
K
Hell Drummer
Hotshot
Hell Drummer
Hotshot
K Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 7,033
I started a discussion ion the Screenshot thread and felt bad about it...
So here I am again, my rotorheads friends, in the appropriate section.

My situation:
I want to learn a bit of Helo flying.
I have FSX Deluxe, not Accelerator Pack.
I have not yet bought any Payware, just stock helos.

My questions:
Is it enough to push realism to 100% to get a good vibe with stock helos in-game?
Is it right I find flying with stock helos too easy?
I admit I'm somewhat skilled with fixed wing planes but wouldn't expect to make my life SO easy with rotary wings...
Is there a way in FSX to save controls axis & buttons for each plane or I REALLY have to keep re-setting them when I want to go from helos to props to jets?

Extra marks:
I've already got some suggestions but I'll re-ask;
which is for You, ladies & gentlemen, the BEST, more REALISTIC, more ENGAGING Payware Helicopter available for FSX?
Not just the huey... ANY helo.


Many thanks for your patience.
I may have just found out I'm a rotor head myself...

Komemiute


Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 8,677
K
Hotshot
Hotshot
K Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 8,677
I have a few payware helicopters for FSX and of those only a couple I fly (CeraSim Bell 222B, Nemeth/Milviz AW109), these are better than the default FSX helicopters but mainly add nice cockpit and better feel for the times I want to fly helicopters over my awesome FSX payware scenery.

I also have X-Plane 10 and the Flying ND Art & Technology BK117, which IMHO feels much better than FSX in helicopter feel and has great systems, but I am still not entirely happy with X-Plane 10's scenery which tends to be bland and generic at the altitudes I fly helicopters at, BeachAV8R did a nice review of it here:
http://www.simhq.com/_air13/air_438a.html

I also have DCS Blackshark which is for when I want a hardcore heli sim and Take On Helicopters and Arma2/3 for when I just want to buzz around in a lighter sim mode.

If I had to pick just one which has the best helicopter feel and super detailed systems, then I would recommend DCS Blackshark, great price and feel and it will keep you really busy, the kind of hardcore helicopter feel you seem to be looking for doesn't exist in FSX, not even in any of the payware helicopters IMHO.

UPDATE: I forgot the DodoSim 206 for FSX which I have heard really good things about and that they do the physics via a simconnect module like A2A accusim does to overcome FSX's limitations, it's been on my buy list for a long time but the $49.95 price point and lack of updates to the dated graphics has kept me from buying it. I think that is possibly the only one that might meet your hardcore desires in FSX IMHO.

Last edited by kludger; 03/06/13 07:04 PM. Reason: added Dodo

[email protected], GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 7,033
K
Hell Drummer
Hotshot
Hell Drummer
Hotshot
K Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 7,033
WHOA! Thank you SO much for helping me out with this! biggrin

I'll let you know, if so you wish, about my experience!


Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 8,677
K
Hotshot
Hotshot
K Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 8,677
Sounds good komemiute look forward to hearing about your helo adventures, post some screenies for whatever you do, not much helo action on the screenshot forum these days.


[email protected], GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,130
E
Member
Member
E Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,130
Additional if you want to fly helicopters in FSX I can recommend the HTR mod from Fred. You probably should know about him from Combat Helo project. Have a look here: http://www.hovercontrol.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?s=f56c13b44b2c46ee438149216923b4fa;act=SF;f=53
And yes, the best helo experience so far for FSX should be the Dodosim.
Have a look on X-Plane Demo mode also. You can try the Jetranger for 10minutes.
Personaly I wait for the DCS Huey.

Joined: May 2009
Posts: 7,033
K
Hell Drummer
Hotshot
Hell Drummer
Hotshot
K Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 7,033
So far I'm a bit depressed.
It feels way too easy...

I can land ALMOST everywhere... Will post pics soon.
I know I'm not THAT good.

And yes, I'm DYING to get DCS-Huey...


Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,130
E
Member
Member
E Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,130
Originally Posted By: komemiute
So far I'm a bit depressed.
It feels way too easy...
I can land ALMOST everywhere... Will post pics soon.
I know I'm not THAT good.
And yes, I'm DYING to get DCS-Huey...

Yes, forget about the stock FSX helis! To bad you do not have the Acceleration pack. There comes the british Merlin helicopter with it and Sling load missions. These are somehow very hard...at least for me.

Joined: May 2009
Posts: 7,033
K
Hell Drummer
Hotshot
Hell Drummer
Hotshot
K Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 7,033
What the heck, I'll get it...

I'll start throwing in bad weather now... let's see...


Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 7,033
K
Hell Drummer
Hotshot
Hell Drummer
Hotshot
K Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 7,033
What's that HTR stuff? there's a bunch of forum and I'm havinga bit of TL;DR moment... :P


Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,130
E
Member
Member
E Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,130
Originally Posted By: komemiute
What's that HTR stuff? there's a bunch of forum and I'm havinga bit of TL;DR moment... :P

Thats the rotor physics addon from Fred Naar. You start it with FSX and it replaces the stock rotor physics. It`s a little while since I have used it (and FSX in general), so can`t say more at the moment.

Joined: May 2009
Posts: 7,033
K
Hell Drummer
Hotshot
Hell Drummer
Hotshot
K Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 7,033
AH ok. Just... can't seem to find a download link from that forum frown


Click to reveal..
"Himmiherrgottksakramentzefixhallelujah!"
Para_Bellum

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 36
A
Junior Member
Junior Member
A Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 36
HTR has it's own area in the download section of Hovercontrol, since Jordon recognized the value of this mod early on. HTR is available here.

Custom profiles are available here.

It is worth your time to learn HTR, and how to tweak it. HTR is very adaptable to many helos. You can download some profiles, pick up a few more in the forums, or make your own.

Also, something interesting I discovered while working with HTR is that all FS models only the main rotor with tail rotor configuration. Flight dynamics for co-ax or double bladed helos (such as the chinook) are somewhat faked in FS. HTR fixes all of that.

Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 3
F
Junior Member
Junior Member
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 3
also this link explains more
http://www.hovercontrol.com/artman/publish/article_110.shtml

HTR 1.5 is quite a finished product, HTR 1.6 will adress some issues that happens in lateral wind conditions at high speed so no major changes.

There's also an HTR mod for Take on Helicopters and a few projects I am currently working on...

Since I am the author I am a little biaised but I can say it is worth the time you will invest... and forget easy landings...

Bye
Fred


Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
How to Decommission Obsolete Robots....
by F4UDash4 - 10/04/26 05:54 PM
J-B Weld
by Terl9999 - 10/02/26 11:54 PM
Cydonia Mars
by Terl9999 - 10/01/26 07:22 AM
Steam vs GOG
by Terl9999 - 09/30/26 09:04 PM
It has been a long absence
by Snow46 - 09/30/26 07:36 PM
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,082,247 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1