SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 278
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 278
Awhile back there were issues with the warthog and the Firmware and target causing problems with the warthog Im entertaining installing target but am real leary .My warthog works fine and dont want any trouble any feedback on this will be appreciated.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,082
-
Veteran
Veteran
- Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 16,082
I've not had any problem regarding the sofware or firmware though my stick base went bad after a few months of using the WH. Sent it back, got a new one in return and have not had any problem since.

Install it if you need it (saw your other post), but it's okay to skip it if you don't. I never bothered with it in DCS A10C, but since I need to use a profile for it to work properly with BMS, I've used it all the time now and no problems.

Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 13
S
Junior Member
Junior Member
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 13
I've never had any issues with using TARGET once I learned how it worked. Even went so far as to make a profile for the A-10C to use with TARS and TS. As previously stated it's not 150% needed but it works really well if you do use it.


It's not the fall that gets you. It's the Godawful sudden stop at the end.
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 278
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 278
Target is not the issue its the firmware updates that have caused problems In the past when they first released the warthog firmware updates were responsible for a lot of heartache, I had a cougar(pots) go south after a firmware update(I know the warthog has hall sensors) and I dont trust Thrustmasters firmware/software It just seems awful convenient that their hardware goes south after a firmware update(can you say sales)After givin it some thought I think Ill just stay with programming it in the sim but thanks for your replies..................They (Thrustmaster) make a big deal oughta being able to program the leds on the WartHog after a firmware update,but Ive never figured out why you would want that function or what the advantage to that is?or risk hosin a expensive stick and throttle to gain that.If im missin somethin enlighten me please.............Ill never forgive or forget Thrustmaster just happened to forget to warn people about the pots goin bad on their cougars if they didnt follow a certain procedure to update their firmware on the cougar if I remember correctly you had to update the stick and throttle seperately or zap your pots were toast and most people would just go out and buy another cougar rather than go through the hassle of replacing the pots.

Last edited by Skip; 12/06/12 03:51 AM.
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,508
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,508
Not quite accurate even with the last post, Skip.

Most of the problems had nothing to do with either TARGET or firmware updates - in fact, I'd say most people had problems even before a firmware update was released - the original firmware release was to address the problem.

Further, I rarely, if ever, hear of problems now, and I'm not aware of anyone who didn't get their problem resolved by TM.

I don't know for sure what combination of events led to the parts dying - but as part of the beta group I used 2 different pre-production Warthog sets for around 8-10 months before they were released - I unplugged/replugged them almost daily, ran them with and without TARGET, on 2-3 different brands of motherboards and USB hubs. I currently use an early production model, and I never had an issue with any of them. Other people had things go bad right out of the box or shortly thereafter.

The biggest bug I have encountered (that still exists) is if you send too many LED control commands in too short a time through the script version of TARGET, you'll lock up the software for a certain amount of time.


#6 - Opposing / Left Solo
Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 15,827
M
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 15,827
I didnt do a firmware update when I got my Warthog as I have had bad experiences of firmware updates killing hardware in the past. Warthog has been fine without an update.

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,148
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,148
Updated mine as soon as the new firmware came on stream with no issues. Personally I like being able to turn the intensity of the LED's down a bit as my default was the highest setting and in semi-darkness the glare was distracting.

As with any firmware updates for any device, just read and re-read the instructions to make absolutely sure of the firmware updating requirements and you should be good to go.
Though you can't always factor in God; I was updating a camera's firmware one night and a single lightning strike hit a local substation causing a power cut and a dead camera which then had to be posted off to Olympus to be sorted.

Literally another 5 seconds and I would have been ok...crap happens biggrin


Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,074,731 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1