SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#3620462 08/05/12 03:37 AM
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 31
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 31
I'm looking to build the front switch box for the P-51D to use with the DCS mustang. I am having a hard time finding a 4 position toggle switch to use for the rocket/bomb selector pictured here:



I have found several sources for 4PST and 4PDT switches, however, I feel like I am missing something since under the descriptions they only discuss 3 positions. Also any that I see that may actually have 4 positions I believe move in a + motion instead of an inverted Y. I would really appreciate any help pointing me to a 4 position Y movement switch. Thanks


STORM6
DUSTOFF16
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 55
T
Junior Member
Junior Member
T Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 55
I think you are looking for a 4 way switch.

Those you have don't do that:
4PST = 4 poles single throw (eg ON-OFF)
4PDT = 4 poles double throw (eg ON-OFF-ON)

The 4 is the number of connections (poles) on the bottom of the switch you can wire to, not the number of directions.

But do you really need four directions? Are the possible positions for that cockpit switch:

Rocket
Safe
Bombs

Then a double throw would do.

Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 31
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 31
Thanks thommo, I was thinking that the P was for position not pole. The switch in the aircraft has 4 possible positions: Rockets (up), Safe (center), bombs train (bottom right), and bombs both (bottom left). Guess what I would need then is a tripple or quad throw switch.


STORM6
DUSTOFF16
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 31
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 31
After a little more examination I've discovered that it is a cutler-hammer model# 8905K671 switch. Unfortunately, it looks like Cutler-Hammer was bought out by a company named Eaton back in 1978 and I haven't been able to find the part on Eaton's webpage. As always if anyone feels like playing Sherlock Holmes and wants to help me track down the part I would greatly appreciate it.


STORM6
DUSTOFF16
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 8
K
Junior Member
Junior Member
K Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 8
You could use a 8 or or so postion rotary switch and only use the postions required, might be able to soften the detents on the unused positions. Not authentic but might work if all else fails. confused


The KwikPit Company
"Adding Realism To Your Games"
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 3,960
S
Senior Member
Senior Member
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 3,960
In this thread TH69 make a 5 in 1 switch for Ka-50, similar to this of P-51.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=27270&page=22

Sokol1

Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 86
D
Junior Member
Junior Member
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 86
Try this OPER AUTO MS25128-1, NSN 5930-00-777-5730 same switch as on he A-10C environmental panel pictured in my thread
14th pic down
http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1512263&postcount=295

Last edited by Deadman; 08/07/12 04:12 AM.
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 31
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 31
Thanks for the suggestion Deadman. I went ahead and emailed a supplier about the NSN you listed. I'll let you know how it works out.


STORM6
DUSTOFF16
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 86
D
Junior Member
Junior Member
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 86
I hope it works out for you. If you need to do a group purchase for a min order you will fine others interested I bet for both the P51 and A-10C

Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 31
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 31
Deadman, where did you get your switch? I did a quick google on the NSN and had ISO group do a quote for me. Unfortunately the quotes came back as $1066.00 a switch. This seems sort of like the proverbial $10,000.00 government toilet seat. I'm going to look around for other quotes and hopefully something pops up in the $5-$30 range, but I figured I'd see where you got yours first. Thanks


STORM6
DUSTOFF16
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 86
D
Junior Member
Junior Member
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 86
I bought the complete panel from an on line electronic reseller

Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 31
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 31
I ran across this part on e-bay and thought I'd post it here as a follow up (it's only been 2.5 years).

Ebay Switch Listing

Pretty pricey for a single part but as they are really hard to find I thought someone else may want to take advantage.


STORM6
DUSTOFF16

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,070,339 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1