SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#3561560 04/23/12 08:20 PM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,656
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,656
Is anyone else a little disappointed that DCS are moving to the P51 for their next aircraft? Is this the future for DCS...WWII or is it a one off?

Personally I was hoping for Apache, F15, a Mig...anything but WWII.

Sorry for the negativity - but I am personally disappointed with this move - and I understand people will love the new direction - but I hope it's a small diversion.

I hope they go back to modern(?) jets soon.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,493
J
Wurkin' man
Hotshot
Wurkin' man
Hotshot
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 6,493
I think they're more than likely using the engine as a test-bed to try other eras of combat; maybe for something later down the road if the interest is high? I doubt that they will go exclusively WWII (maybe as a side project or whole other separate sim later on)

I wouldn't get too upset about it

Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,111
W
Smooth Operator
Hotshot
Smooth Operator
Hotshot
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,111
I've not even glanced that way, BR. So, Yes, I agree. Never was a propeller head. Oh wait, I want an AC-130 with multiple stations.

I do think the integrated core that DCS announced will lend itself to a bigger experience.

From experience, we can move things along - if we announce a Fly In we'll get a new patch in the week prior to the event. biggrin

WC

Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 589
L
Member
Member
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 589
They've repeatedly said they're working both aircraft simultaneously... not to mention the P-51 was like a side project for them.

Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,656
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,656
Ah - ok Lion. I didn't know that. Thanks. Still no idea then what the "other" aircraft is I suppose?

I don't begrudge others their fun - but I always assumed and hoped DCS would stay with modern. I'm hopeful that is the case for my own selfish reasons.

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,893
G
Hotshot
Hotshot
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,893
DCS doesn't even have to stay with aircraft, let alone modern ... check out the upcoming Combined Arms add-on.


--
44th VFW
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 589
L
Member
Member
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 589
Well, if it narrows the guessing game for you, its a "popular" US fixed wing jet fighter. wink

Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,599
F
Member
Member
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,599
Originally Posted By: GrayGhost
DCS doesn't even have to stay with aircraft, let alone modern ... check out the upcoming Combined Arms add-on.


The "combined arms" add-on is actually a product of the original military trainer that they accidentally left in (later patched out.) It was to enhance their close air support training, having a human JTAC. I wouldn't take it as a sign that DCS is attempting to branch into non-air vehicles. It looks like they got permission to include it into the DCS commercial products and decided to add a little more functionality.

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 191
E
Registered Lunatic
Member
Registered Lunatic
Member
E Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 191
Originally Posted By: Frederf
Originally Posted By: GrayGhost
DCS doesn't even have to stay with aircraft, let alone modern ... check out the upcoming Combined Arms add-on.


The "combined arms" add-on is actually a product of the original military trainer that they accidentally left in (later patched out.) It was to enhance their close air support training, having a human JTAC. I wouldn't take it as a sign that DCS is attempting to branch into non-air vehicles. It looks like they got permission to include it into the DCS commercial products and decided to add a little more functionality.


Seen Combined Arms have you?

Let me answer that for you. No, you haven't.


Eddie

Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 378
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 378
About all of the information that we have on Combined Arms is that it exists and has some "very interesting and fun new features in works". We can take some guesses from the features briefly available in the A-10C beta and from what was stated in the announcement for it.


Mainly that you can control ground forces movements, that you can play as a JTAC, and control artillery.

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,130
E
Member
Member
E Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,130
Originally Posted By: Eddie
Seen Combined Arms have you? Let me answer that for you. No, you haven't.

Hehe, nice hint Eddie! So I�m much more eager to see a features announcement for it. yep

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,943
N
Member
Member
N Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,943
Originally Posted By: Frederf
Originally Posted By: GrayGhost
DCS doesn't even have to stay with aircraft, let alone modern ... check out the upcoming Combined Arms add-on.


The "combined arms" add-on is actually a product of the original military trainer that they accidentally left in (later patched out.) It was to enhance their close air support training, having a human JTAC. I wouldn't take it as a sign that DCS is attempting to branch into non-air vehicles. It looks like they got permission to include it into the DCS commercial products and decided to add a little more functionality.
]

The CA feature set hasn't been announced yet - the above is speculation.

Nate

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 9,585
S
Sim Offline
Hotshot
Hotshot
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 9,585
Although, I'm excited about upcoming Pony - I'd love to see a proper aerobatic aircraft with AFM. That would be marvelous. But checking teeth of a gifted horse is silly biggrin

Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,397
E
Member
Member
E Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,397
Oh dear... if they ever figure out a way to blend air and ground operations together in ONE sim- the way they have between helicopter / fixed wing between BS and A-10... I think I might quit my job.

I can see myself skulking around the bush with a designator- talking to guys in A-10s and coordinating attacks on targets... oh yes please.

Then again- I can see myself in the A-10 talking to a REAL person on the ground...

I think someone just peed in my pants.

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,893
G
Hotshot
Hotshot
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,893
... and the most likely result will be fratricide biggrin


--
44th VFW
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,397
E
Member
Member
E Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,397
Originally Posted By: GrayGhost
... and the most likely result will be fratricide biggrin



I'm proud to report that the only friendly unit I've been responsible for killing is myself as a result of what could best be described as "controlled flight into terrain."

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,148
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,148
I must admit I'm surprised DCS aren't going for something like the F22 or F35 and it's variants for the next project.
Yea I know most of the data is classified etc. but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be possible to code it and make an excellent sim with the information that is known.
Even though I love the P-51 unless they set the timeline from the end of WW2 and encompass Korea it seems a bit pointless.

Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 488
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 488
Originally Posted By: Georgio
I must admit I'm surprised DCS aren't going for something like the F22 or F35 and it's variants for the next project.
Yea I know most of the data is classified etc. but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be possible to code it and make an excellent sim with the information that is known.
Even though I love the P-51 unless they set the timeline from the end of WW2 and encompass Korea it seems a bit pointless.


I wouldn't pay for a F-22 or F-35 DCS module because of the limited data. Anything DCS needs, IMO, to be modeled as close to real as possible. There is no way a 22 or 35 could be modeled close to real, flight characteristics are classified, avionics are classified, etc.....

Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,429
E
Senior Member
Senior Member
E Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 4,429
Originally Posted By: paulrkiii
Originally Posted By: Georgio
I must admit I'm surprised DCS aren't going for something like the F22 or F35 and it's variants for the next project.
Yea I know most of the data is classified etc. but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be possible to code it and make an excellent sim with the information that is known.
Even though I love the P-51 unless they set the timeline from the end of WW2 and encompass Korea it seems a bit pointless.


I wouldn't pay for a F-22 or F-35 DCS module because of the limited data. Anything DCS needs, IMO, to be modeled as close to real as possible. There is no way a 22 or 35 could be modeled close to real, flight characteristics are classified, avionics are classified, etc.....


Yes I would agree with this. Personally, there are so many old aircraft DCS could go after. Someday, I hope...we see flyable Sabres, Mig 21s, Mig 23s, Phantom F-4s, F-105s. Of course I also don't want to forget F/A-18s, Mig-29s, Apache helicopter etc.

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 1,235
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 1,235
Originally Posted By: Lion
Well, if it narrows the guessing game for you, its a "popular" US fixed wing jet fighter. wink


Kind of narrows it down to F-15, 16, 18, hard to believe they still won't announce which one it's going to be, if not which version.
Probably too far-fetched, but there are screens of F-16 cockpit around, wonder if they were doing but cancelled after BMS came out?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,074,679 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1