SimHQ
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Hop To
Page 15 of 23 1 2 … 13 14 15 16 17 … 22 23
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,508
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,508
Wow, thanks for the pics Taipan.

I have my current seating set up such that the whole warthog base is below the level of the chair, and the "hand rest" portion of the stick is only slightly (< 1") above the top of my legs...and I insist on keeping it that way. Not as important for combat flying, but when I have to hold formation for 40 minutes, having my arm angled up would be brutal.

I really don't like how far it forces you to be from the monitors. I understand many people here like being 25-30 inches from their screens, but...that's not me. I'm using a 24" screen, and as I type this, my forehead is 21" from the screen and it doesn't by any stretch feel too close. In fact, I hunch forward to make it happen rather than rest against the back of my chair. As lame as it sounds, I'm thinking I might have to actually put the racing harness on the seat I'm building to keep myself from "leaning in" while I fly/race. Hahahahhaha.


#6 - Opposing / Left Solo
Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 498
T
Sim Addict
Member
Sim Addict
Member
T Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 498
Fullscreen mode with SoftTH from our here kegetys - 2.08b: http://www.kegetys.net/forum/index.php?topic=2123.0

Change the resolution in the skyrim file to 5160x1600. Then for SoftTH this is my config: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29331868/config.SoftTHconfig

Extra res I added for bezels that's why it's 5160. You might need to switch left and right ID around depending which is which, you'll know if left is opposite in game.

Haydens fixer to center the menu here: http://widescreengamingforum.com/dr/elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/en
Untick auto-detect, and set GUI width to 2560 then it's perfect.

Joined: May 2002
Posts: 15,158
N
Veteran
Veteran
N Offline
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 15,158
Thanks for the Skyrim info.


Mobo ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0)
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3
GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
CPU Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz)
Drives 2 HITACHI Deskstar 3TB 2 Crucial 256 GB SSD Displays 3 HP ZR30w 30" monitors
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
PSU Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Case COOLER MASTER CM Storm Trooper
Drive LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray
CPU cooler Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe
Fans COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120
OS Windows 7 Premium
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 498
T
Sim Addict
Member
Sim Addict
Member
T Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 498
Teej my seat is all the way back smile

I can get very close. But then my legs would be too bent to aim well with the pedals.

My arm is exactly horizontal with that stick setup, I have rugby legs lol. For long flights though it would be nice to have it a bit lower but I think I'd lose some precision if I removed the extension.

Having said that, even without the extension it was still very comfortable originally more so than a desk mostly due to the centre mount.

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,508
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,508

For the record, I thought about moving this discussion to a new thread since we're not really discussing the article. However...we are discussing the Obutto and Chris has expressed interest in our opinions for flight simming, so I'll continue unless The Management speaks up. wink

Originally Posted By: Taipan
Teej my seat is all the way back smile

I can get very close. But then my legs would be too bent to aim well with the pedals.



That was one of my concerns as well. It's fairly likely that I'll couple my pedals to my seat in some way to provide a consistent, stable chair-pedal distance...but I don't want dependencies between seat or pedals and the monitor(s).


#6 - Opposing / Left Solo
Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 498
T
Sim Addict
Member
Sim Addict
Member
T Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 498
Yep, it's the narrow width that creates this dependency because there is only one exact position the pedals only just squeeze into. With a wider width there would be more positions forward and back the pedals would work in.

If I was someone buying now I would mod the width immediately before giving up the old desk. For me Im already heavily using this as my only computer desk, so I'm going to get another base and mod that then do the switcheroo.

Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 22,096
C
Lifer
Lifer
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 22,096
Originally Posted By: Teej
For the record, I thought about moving this discussion to a new thread since we're not really discussing the article. However...we are discussing the Obutto and Chris has expressed interest in our opinions for flight simming, so I'll continue unless The Management speaks up. wink


Please carry on here Teej! There is a benefit in keeping the Obutto info inside this one thread.

Two cents. Whenever someone looks at a picture how someone else setup their Obutto, keep in mind it is set for them and you can set it up completely differently. Between the seat side rail holes to attach outboard brackets, the fore/aft and seat angle, the mount for the wheel/hub/table, the keyboard/mouse tray, the height of the monitor stand, etc. etc. etc. its almost impossible (IMO!) not to get a setting that works. The one wart is the wider pedals for flight, and as indicated previously in here, Chris is aware of it and maybe he is noodling a solution.

BTW, with the Obutto, you can be setup and running in 2 hours... or you may NEVER get done if you enjoy messing with it and trying new ideas, brackets... smile


Wisdom is knowing what's enough
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,508
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,508
Got it, guod. wink

My saga begins today. My racing seat showed up. Although I don't have the materials here to frame up it up the way I want it, a pair of concrete blocks sufficed to take it for a test flight. Immediate impressions: I pity anyone still gaming in an office chair. biggrin



Given that I enjoy my 16 square foot L-shaped desktop surface, I'm awfully happy with the chair as is...but I'm still gonna build a frame for it - as is it doesn't give me a good way to mount a steering wheel. I don't like that on the desk in front of my monitor - the force feedback in the wheel shakes the...stuff...out of my desktop & monitor and turns that desktop in to a 16 square foot sounding board for the mech noise. biggrin

Unfortunately I think what would truly work best for us "I wanna fly a center stick with an extension" folks would be to have a notched seat like the ACESII ejection seat...and I don't think anyone's gonna be selling those reasonably priced anytime soon. Think I'm gonna have to come up with a way to offset the stick an inch or three.

All the way back in ~ '94 I thought about making a gaming chair from a car seat. Even had a freebie seat donated to me that sat in my old apartment garage until we moved out in '99. Wish I had done this years ago. Heh.

Last edited by Teej; 02/02/12 01:54 AM.

#6 - Opposing / Left Solo
Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 574
R
Jurrasic
Member
Jurrasic
Member
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 574
Welcome to the Club Teej. I have had mine for a month now and I would never go back. And yes we should keep the info here.


Ahh CLOD never in the history of Simming has so much been promised and so little given.

However I want to thank Team Fusion for keeping the Dream Alive.
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 15,158
N
Veteran
Veteran
N Offline
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 15,158
Hey folks,

I set my 3rd monitor (a Dell 2007FP) up today, and it's noticeably higher than both the left most monitor (also a Dell 2007FP) and the center monitor. It's distracting to have the right-hand picture about .5" a higher than the center screen.

I flipped the triple monitor mount over and reattached it, but it made no difference.

This discrepancy is marring an otherwise cool setup, and I am not sure how to correct it. It's not possible to raise the center monitor independently of the side monitors because of the mounting arms. And the mounting arms cannot be lowered any further because the lower section of the arm cannot attach to the mounting bracket at that point, and going lower than that would make the right monitor too low.

Taipan, I see you have the same setup as me- a 30" middle flanked by two 20" monitors in portrait mode, and are even using the same Dell 20" monitors. Your monitors look even.

I'm out of ideas...anyone got any?

Three images- one of all three monitors:



and one of the center and the right monitor:



and one of the center and right, from the bottom:




Last edited by peppergomez; 02/03/12 06:45 AM.

Mobo ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0)
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3
GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
CPU Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz)
Drives 2 HITACHI Deskstar 3TB 2 Crucial 256 GB SSD Displays 3 HP ZR30w 30" monitors
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
PSU Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Case COOLER MASTER CM Storm Trooper
Drive LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray
CPU cooler Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe
Fans COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120
OS Windows 7 Premium
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 15,158
N
Veteran
Veteran
N Offline
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 15,158
Some pics of how I have the arms attached, in case there's something I can change




Mobo ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0)
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3
GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
CPU Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz)
Drives 2 HITACHI Deskstar 3TB 2 Crucial 256 GB SSD Displays 3 HP ZR30w 30" monitors
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
PSU Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Case COOLER MASTER CM Storm Trooper
Drive LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray
CPU cooler Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe
Fans COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120
OS Windows 7 Premium
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 22,096
C
Lifer
Lifer
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 22,096
Loosen one of the outside monitors and rotate the bracket 180 degrees. The hole on mine was offset to center.



Wisdom is knowing what's enough
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 15,158
N
Veteran
Veteran
N Offline
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 15,158
Good tip, but that didn't make any difference. Even removing the bracket entirely and just holding the monitor up makes no difference in the height. It would have been better if the back plates that screw into the side monitors could be height adjustable when mounted to the monitor arms, instead of being a fixed shelf.

Unless there's something else I'm overlooking, it seems like it might be necessary to drill 4 slightly higher holes in the center mount so I can mount the center monitor a bit higher, since there's a bit of room to raise the side monitor arms up a bit.

Last edited by peppergomez; 02/04/12 08:00 AM.

Mobo ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0)
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3
GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
CPU Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz)
Drives 2 HITACHI Deskstar 3TB 2 Crucial 256 GB SSD Displays 3 HP ZR30w 30" monitors
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
PSU Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Case COOLER MASTER CM Storm Trooper
Drive LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray
CPU cooler Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe
Fans COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120
OS Windows 7 Premium
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 11,274
USMC
Veteran
USMC
Veteran
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 11,274
Have you adjusted the height by moving the arms up or down here:


Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.


Joined: May 2009
Posts: 261
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 261
Custom Triple mount for 40" LED screens almost done!



Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,508
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,508
Why not 55"?


#6 - Opposing / Left Solo
Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 261
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 261
Originally Posted By: Teej
Why not 55"?


Used to use a 50" plasma as my monitor, from 25" it seemed too close for me. Over the years its been 32", 40", 42" and 50". 40 seems perfect from this view distance for me

Last edited by jskibo; 02/04/12 04:23 PM.
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 15,158
N
Veteran
Veteran
N Offline
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 15,158
Originally Posted By: 531 Ghost
Have you adjusted the height by moving the arms up or down here:



Yeah, the arms are as low as they can go. Wish there were a way of moving up the center just a bit, or more adjustment room to lower the arms down just a bit more.

Like I wrote, I think at this point the only solution I can think of is to take the center back mount to a hardware store and have them drill 4 more holes about .5"-1" higher so I can raise the center monitor. Then I will be able to adjust the arms upwards a bit if necessary.


Mobo ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0)
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3
GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
CPU Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz)
Drives 2 HITACHI Deskstar 3TB 2 Crucial 256 GB SSD Displays 3 HP ZR30w 30" monitors
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
PSU Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Case COOLER MASTER CM Storm Trooper
Drive LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray
CPU cooler Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe
Fans COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120
OS Windows 7 Premium
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 261
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 261
Instead of drilling four more holes, which may or may not line up given you're going to have to measure the offset and provide it to them, why not find a machine shop that can "Slot" the existing holes say 1/2" on either side of it? You will have a range of adjustment then and can tweak it as you desire. Would be a real pisser to drill 4 more and be a fraction off......

Joined: May 2002
Posts: 15,158
N
Veteran
Veteran
N Offline
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 15,158
Originally Posted By: jskibo
Instead of drilling four more holes, which may or may not line up given you're going to have to measure the offset and provide it to them, why not find a machine shop that can "Slot" the existing holes say 1/2" on either side of it? You will have a range of adjustment then and can tweak it as you desire. Would be a real pisser to drill 4 more and be a fraction off......


Can you explain this in mre detail? Thanks.


Mobo ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0)
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3
GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
CPU Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz)
Drives 2 HITACHI Deskstar 3TB 2 Crucial 256 GB SSD Displays 3 HP ZR30w 30" monitors
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
PSU Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Case COOLER MASTER CM Storm Trooper
Drive LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray
CPU cooler Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe
Fans COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120
OS Windows 7 Premium
Page 15 of 23 1 2 … 13 14 15 16 17 … 22 23

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
.
Social


Recent Topics
SpaceX Starship Going to Orbit
by F4UDash4 - 09/28/26 12:37 PM
God Forbid they want to have a bit of fun at work
by NoFlyBoy - 09/22/26 08:50 PM
How a 5" 38 Caliber US Naval Gun Works
by F4UDash4 - 09/19/26 01:20 AM
100% commission based sales
by PanzerMeyer - 09/18/26 04:47 PM
Relativity
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:34 AM
HOA's
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 04:12 AM
Football
by Terl9999 - 09/18/26 02:42 AM
Flags
by Terl9999 - 09/15/26 10:03 PM
September 15th Battle of Britain Day.
by RedToo - 09/15/26 08:06 PM
Population Patterns
by PanzerMeyer - 09/15/26 03:43 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
7,075,123 SAM Simulator
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1